Kosher Princess

Smile Conti Mountain King 2.2 w/ Mavic Open Pro REPORT

An ideal day of winter riding: sunny, crisp and clear.

Bike: Salsa Mamasita
    Wheel: Mavic Open Pro Rims laced to Chris King Hubs
    Tires: Continental Mountain King 29 x 2.2 Folding
    Tire Weight: 662g and 665 grams respectively
    Tubes: Continental
    Pressure: 35psi

Tires were run directionally according to front and rear wheel.

Trail conditions: Slate Rock with sporadic Sandy-Mud, Loose over Hardpack, Hilly XC.

Two days after rainfall.

My first impression was that these tires are a perfect match for Open Pro rims. There is no squirm or roll on the rim, unlike Ignitors 2.1" which are very loose in comparison. The bead is snug, and I was confident there would be little if no chance of roll off, as I've experienced with the larger Rampages. As it has be pointed out before, the Mountain King 2.2" measures 2.0" which is what I got.

Now for the ride.

In the dry sandy sections, a mix of dry washes and flat loose rock, the tire was agile and predictable. Traction was superb, though I was wanting a little more on the steepest inclines, with that said, these tires are fast, and made quick work of loose on hardpack, as well as slate rock inclines. Pedaling through sandy washes felt about average, in comparison with other higher volume tires.

Now the mud; sandy-mud is wet and dries quickly, so it doesn't shed until you exit to some harder surfaces. However, I never felt bogged down in this mud, even if the photos aren't so pretty. I did however notice that the rear tire tended to shed mud more than the front, and as I mentioned, the rear was ran directionally opposite to the front. In anycase, I never felt a lack for control in these conditions.

Riding on choppy Fireroads was more of an experience as the volume isn't what you'd want from a 2.2" tire, but it ain't bad for a 2.0" Mountain King either. The tire feels like it's got good volume, but I suspect it's the tread that keeps you moving so fluidly that flying over rougher roads is quickly forgotten.

Speaking of speed, in comparison to Rampages and Ignitors the Mountain King feels as though I was back on 700c x 32 Small Block 8s. They are quick, having very little rolling resistance, and sprinting home on pavement was beautiful.

So, would I recommend this tire? Yes, especially if you're running a narrower rim. Though, if I had the option of running a larger front tire, I'd go with the 2.4" or perhaps have a Rampage up front and the Conti in the rear. As it is, Mavic Open Pro rims with Continental Mountain King 29 x 2.2" tires are a perfect match.
    Last edited by Natalie Portman; 02-20-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Expert Crasher
    Looks good. Did you color in the "inch" on the hot patch or do the 2.2s come with black graphics?

I like Conti tires, not as much as Schwalbes, but they're still one of my favorites. Looks like a good alternative to the Ignitor in my book.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Did you color in the "inch" on the hot patch or do the 2.2s come with black graphics?
    Permanent Black Marker

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Great review. Excellent description of the conditions. Tire tread looks pretty open - should be a good winter weather tire for my area.

trail rat
    In the true spirit of techno-weenie inane questions, I really want to know if you ran the 3 gram heavier tire on the front or rear?

Nice review and pics, thanks!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Captain Underpants
    Looks like it sheds pretty well, should make a good back tire in the mud.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for a really good review. Clear, to the point and with pictures, awesome.