Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Complete Bike Chinese Carbon 29er

Hello, I posted in the chinese carbon frame thread about frames, but can't get a reply. I couldn't tackle a build without support from this forum, so I think getting a complete bike is the way to go. The thing is that limits the suppliers who have them.
    I've only found Dengfu who has them so far. They don't offer UD finish on most of their frames for some reason, and many people say they don't reply to emails. They haven't replied to mine yet, but it's only been 1 day. Is there any other good companies who sells complete 29ers? Has anybody bought one, and how are they? If Dengfu is the best way to go that's fine, but would like to know what's best.

mtbr member
    There are literally thousands of posts about which companies sell frames and members of spent countless hours providing feedback. All you need to do is take a bit of time to read the forums, there is a wealth of information that has been provided for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've been reading for DAYS about frames, and I found a couple of 21 inch HongFU frames I could go with. The question is what parts will fit. I could get everything Hongfu offers...wheels, cranks ect...but why not get a complete bike. Every time I come across a useful nugget I copy/paste it in a tips folder...but I can't find all the answers to my questions. Wow thanks for telling me to go find it myself. Trust me I'm trying.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Also the search feature is nearly useless on this thread. I learned an entire profession using an awesome search feature in another thread. A good search will take you to an exact comment within a thread, not just to the first page. What good is that on a 200 page thread?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Do you think this can be an alternative? Mountain Bikes - Bikes

I dont know where you live but we have dozens of companies here in Europe that sells complete Chinese builds under own logo for the same price that you will find in the Chinese-thread. I dont know if they ship to the US thought.

mtbr member
    gr4474, I think anyone in the forums are glad to help, including myself. If you have specific questions you need to post them but asking general questions and asking everyone to choose frames and components for you will not get you very far.

I am new to the forums as of about 3 months ago. I've learned so much, I've read thousands of posts and posted over 200 replies. As for frame and parts vendors, look for Hong-Fu Bicycles, XMIplay, Light Bikes, Carbonal, just to name a few. Everyone is different and I cannot tell you what you want when it comes to a bike.

None of the vendors I stated above, sell complete bikes. If you want a complete bike shipped to you from an online retailer you can go checkout Airbourne Bikes, Lynsky (Ti frames), and Motobecane (Bikes Direct) just to name a few. There are many others but you need to first decide what type of bike you want to build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ok thanks for that. If I were to build I would probably go with Hongfu since they are one of the few I found with 21 inch frames, and are a favorite chinese supplier:
    HF-FM056 - $435.00 : bike MALL

I like niner like bikes, or Specialized Stumpjumper...but the Specialized geometry got worse since 2011. It used to have an aggressive slope on the top bar, but now it is more flat. Here is a complete bike I inquired about from Dengfu:
    SUPERLIGTH MTB 29ER CARBON MTB FRAME FM196

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Check out LaMere cycles. They do complete custom builds of these carbon frames. Based out of Minnesota.

Jeff

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post
    I've been reading for DAYS about frames, and I found a couple of 21 inch HongFU frames I could go with. The question is what parts will fit. I could get everything Hongfu offers...wheels, cranks ect...but why not get a complete bike. Every time I come across a useful nugget I copy/paste it in a tips folder...but I can't find all the answers to my questions. Wow thanks for telling me to go find it myself. Trust me I'm trying.
    If you have to ask a question like this maybe building a bike is not for you.
    And none of the legitimate Chinese companies I have seen sell complete bikes.
    You are going to have to source all of this stuff yourself and build it (unless your LBS is willing to do it).
    If you cannot work out what you need then I would suggest you steer clear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    If you have to ask a question like this maybe building a bike is not for you.
    And none of the legitimate Chinese companies I have seen sell complete bikes.
    You are going to have to source all of this stuff yourself and build it (unless your LBS is willing to do it).
    If you cannot work out what you need then I would suggest you steer clear.
    So that bike i posted above from Dengfu is not a good option? I thought they were a favorite supplier except for some unanswered emails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbunk View Post
    Check out LaMere cycles. They do complete custom builds of these carbon frames. Based out of Minnesota.

Jeff
    I checked them out. The $4500 is why I'm looking into Chinese. Thanks though

TR
    Angry bunny
    I clicked your link and can see a picture of a built up bike but they are only selling the frame from the ad I read.
    You still need to source all of the components etc yourself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I clicked your link and can see a picture of a built up bike but they are only selling the frame from the ad I read.
    You still need to source all of the components etc yourself.
    I got that link from their complete bikes. I think their description needs work, but I have to assume it's a complete bike:
    COMPLETE BIKES

TR
    Angry bunny
    Contact them and see then.

mtbr member
    I don't know of anyone on the forum that has purchased a complete bike from one of the Chinese sources, typically everyone purchases the frame, and maybe seatpost, bars, bottle cage, stem and spacers from one Chinese source. Then they select a fork, wheels, shifters, cassette, cranks, chain, pedals, seat, tires, grips and anything else they need for the build. Once they have all the parts they assemble the bike themselves.

I would have to agree with TR though, you may not have the knowledge and patience to do a build yourself. You might be better off purchasing a completed bike, however I do not know of any high quality carbon framed bikes that would be in a similar price range to what an individual can do themselves. I have about $3k invested in my Chinese Carbon 29er, a similar bike from a brand name mfr is at least $6k because there is so much mark up on high end mountain bikes.

Do you know what your budget is? Do you ride XC trails? The carbon 29ers that everyone is riding here are lightweight, for fast trails without large drops, if you know what type of riding you have in your area that would be a good start to figuring out what you want out of your new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I used to build BMX bikes back in junior high...but that was back in '87-'88, and not only was it simple, but I never worked with gears. I can learn this stuff though, but It would take allot.

I ride trails, and I like small jumps and drops (1-2 ft drops?). I would like something tough enough for that and maybe more. I'm not sure what xc trails are, but I just learned that XC bikes are probably to fragile for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Contact them and see then.
    Yep no reply yet.

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    How about this? Comes in 21 inch. You can have On One instead of No One on your downtube
    On-One Lurcher 29er X9 Carbon Mountain Bike
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Looks like the Fezzari Solitude Carbon is just a Chinese bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post
    Hello, I posted in the chinese carbon frame thread about frames, but can't get a reply. I couldn't tackle a build without support from this forum, so I think getting a complete bike is the way to go. The thing is that limits the suppliers who have them.
    I've only found Dengfu who has them so far. They don't offer UD finish on most of their frames for some reason, and many people say they don't reply to emails. They haven't replied to mine yet, but it's only been 1 day. Is there any other good companies who sells complete 29ers? Has anybody bought one, and how are they? If Dengfu is the best way to go that's fine, but would like to know what's best.
    The key things you have to get right are
    1) fork size
    2) seat post diameter
    3) front derailleur diameter and top/bottom pull
    4) Wheel axle type
    5) bottom bracket type/size
    6) some frames come with a headset, some dont
    7) seat post clamp diameter

Merlin cycles sells complete groupsets for a pretty good price. Get an SLX/XT ($450/$600) groupset and you will have the drivetrain and brakes covered.

Then you will need just a few more things:

wheels, tires, fork, seat post, clamp, seat, stem, spacers, bars, grips

mtbr member
    The On-One is a good frame with good components at a fair price. If I did not want to build a carbon 29er myself I would have seriously considered an On-one as an alternative.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by kabayan View Post
    How about this? Comes in 21 inch. You can have On One instead of No One on your downtube
    On-One Lurcher 29er X9 Carbon Mountain Bike
    Ugly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I found this complete carbonal. I emailed them and asked if they would offer it in a UD finish.
    GAEA - Mountain Bikes - Bikes

I'm not big on the Lurcher frame shape. Thanks though...I want to see all options.

edit: Is that Carbonal a good value? It seems high, but maybe it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    The key things you have to get right are
    1) fork size
    2) seat post diameter
    3) front derailleur diameter and top/bottom pull
    4) Wheel axle type
    5) bottom bracket type/size
    6) some frames come with a headset, some dont
    7) seat post clamp diameter

Merlin cycles sells complete groupsets for a pretty good price. Get an SLX/XT ($450/$600) groupset and you will have the drivetrain and brakes covered.

Then you will need just a few more things:

wheels, tires, fork, seat post, clamp, seat, stem, spacers, bars, grips
    Nice...I like this one:
    Sensa Fiori TNT Pro 29er - 2013 | Sensa Mountain Bikes | Merlin Cycles

The options are growing!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What BB size would this Shimano XT group fit? BB30 or BSA?

2013 Shimano XT XC M780 Disc 2x10 MTB Mountain Bike Group Set Black 10 PC Brakes | eBay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast