Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Comparing Value....

928 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  knutso 
#1 ·
Which bike offers more value?? the Jamis Dragon Sport or the Giant XTC2 29er. They are both in the similar price range. I realize the frame material is different so the ride quality won't be the same. Just curious what others think. They are both budget minded hardtails but have good bones for upgrades along the way.

On a side note will a frame made of aluminum or steel last longer? If a steel bike gets the paint nicked up won't the frame rust??

I'm looking for something comfortable for longer rail trail rides and to ride on singletrack and to compliment my 26" full suspension ride

#5 ·
Well the steel frame on a hardtail would take the cake for me. The fork is a bit better on the Giant but the drivetrain is better on the Jamis.

To answer your rust question, I have owned steel frames since I was a BMX rat in the late 70's. Living in the PNW where it is wet, I have never had a steel frame rust out. Unless you live in a highly saline environment (like along the coast or near the Dead Sea) there really isn't much to worry about.

#6 ·
I went to my local shop and talked to one of the employees about this. The Jamis is a better deal because it's lower priced but has the full X7 kit. The alivio is pretty far down the ladder for shimano components.

As far as buying one of these bikes I think I may just hold off and wait until my Trance X dies and get the Anthem X 29er! :D I keep hearing great stuff about that bike. I am really looking to jump on the 29er bandwagon but I can't get myself to ride a hardtail

#7 ·
In my opinion, the Giant XTC2 Frame and fork are better along with being tapered, but the components are better on the Jamis. It could be argued that the wheels are better on the Giant w/ the Thru-axle.

Here is the thing. If the frame, the fork, and the wheels are better on the Giant....those are the three most expensive components on a bike. I did say that the wheels are better, but by no means am I saying they are great.

So if you plan on upgrading parts later, you might as well take advantage of Giant, and upgrade the drivetrain and brakes later down the road.

If you want to buy a bike and it provide you with riding pleasure, but don't plan on upgrading, buy the Jamis. The drivetrain takes the most abuse, and the Jamis comes with a better drivetrain and brakes.

As far as the steel frame of the Jamis rusting. I wouldn't worry about too much, your other parts will rust before the frame does if you leave it outside in the weather. Many say that steel gives a better ride quality, I don't personally know anymore since it has been over 12yrs since I been on a steel MTB. I have a Tallboy (carbon FS), and an aluminum Soul Cycles Dillinger HT SS, and I honestly feel that the ride quality on the Dillinger is more than acceptable even as aluminum. I have to also note that I have exclusively been riding FS bikes since 2002.

#8 ·
I like the Giant quite a bit better:
0.42" shorter chainstay and an inch+ less standover height
Alivio isn't bad and those low level shimano hydro brakes aren't bad at all
Reynolds 520 is really just 4130 chromo sooo not really a huge plus over the aluminum, especially if you are gonna be logging time on road or gravel where aluminum shines ..
That tora coil on the Jamis is gonna be heavy and I believe the 44 TST2 on the Giant is air sprung

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.