Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Comparable to a Trek Cobia?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  eb1888 
#1 ·
Trying to help a friend find a bike. He's got about $550-$600. Found a used Cobia (2007 Gary Fisher Cobia 29er), but wondered what else (other brands/models) he might look at in that price range. Thanks.

#3 ·
ebb1888- I did know about bike blue book before today. Do you think bike blue book lowballs a bit? How does it figure use, milage, upgrades, etc.? Just out of curiosity I looked up my 2012 Trek Cobia and it says a current value of $687. I feel like you still find them at some LBS for $800 or $900. I'm not trying to sell mine, so the value doesn't really matter to me; however, it does seem low.

Have you used it as guidance before? How accurate do you think it is? If you don't know, then that's okay. It just got me curious.

#4 ·
ebb1888- I did know about bike blue book before today. Do you think bike blue book lowballs a bit? How does it figure use, milage, upgrades, etc.? Just out of curiosity I looked up my 2012 Trek Cobia and it says a current value of $687. I feel like you still find them at some LBS for $800 or $900. I'm not trying to sell mine, so the value doesn't really matter to me; however, it does seem low.

Have you used it as guidance before? How accurate do you think it is? If you don't know, then that's okay. It just got me curious.
I used bike blue book value for my search of a used mountain bike over the winter months. I was looking for a 2012 Cobia and used the value of $687 as my hopeful price of buying a Cobia off of Craigslist or Ebay. During the winter months about 8-10 different Cobia's came up for auction some in my size, some not, in various conditions from almost brand new to ridden well. They all sold from the lowest of around $675 to a high of maybe $750. I finally was able to win an auction in February for a basically brand new 2012 Cobia for $725 not including shipping. When I got the bike it looked as if it had been rolled off the showroom floor. I was very pleased. So I guess you could say for at least the cobia the $687 price was somewhat low for what I saw being sold on ebay but not by much. I would use that dollar amount given from bike blue book as a starting point and go from there, the closer you get to that number then the better deal you may have gotten. If I was selling a bike I might use that as a low ball figure depending on the condition of a bike. After months of searching for bikes I found that sellers think their bike is worth more than what its worth. Some asking for almost new prices even though their bike is used. Its like a car it depreciates as soon as it walks out the door. I have already developed a relationship with my local bike shop I brought the bike to them as soon as I got it for a safety check, they realized I didn't buy it there, but didn't care. I have purchased a helmet, numerous accessories, and already had to replace a rear derailleur due to a crash, so they are getting my business even though I didn't buy the bike there.

#6 ·
airborne guardian - i worked hard with a friend of mine who manages a trek store to beat the guardian deal for a friend of mine - we just couldnt get close. so even going used, look at the parts spec between the cobia and guardian - you get better parts and its new...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.