Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Clyde needs a good 29er to jump, 300 pounder

Hi you all I need a good bike to jump off steps and ledges,any help would be great.

Right now I am running a Specialized 23 inch 26er with Sun MTX 29's and 42 CM tires for my do it all blaster bike to get from point A to point B but everybody tells me not to start jumping it and if I start to jump I need a rear shock bike.

I want a bike I can jump off ledges that are like 3 to 4 feet going fast and it will take it, I like to make my own trail when I go from point A to point B and get slowed down because I am afraid to jump my Rock Hopper HT.

I want a bike where it has a lock out on the shock that can be engaged and disengaged at the handle bar,

Any help would be great and can a HT jump good? for what I want and is being 300 pouinds a big problem?

I come from MOTOX and 300 is no problem for the old trusy CR 500 motor so I am just curious.

Thanks for any help.

get down!
    Kona Honzo
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    IMHO, being a big guy, you need to look for a DJ (Dirt Jumper) specific bike. Something with a heavily re-enforced frame that can handle what you're wanting to do. An XC bike like that Kona Honzo won't cut it. Good luck
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Let me know what you find. I'm 300-330lbs. and I've broken my full-sus frames on the street. I'd look at Ventana and get them to reinforce everything. I haven't talked to them yet, but that is the way I am leaning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    IMHO, being a big guy, you need to look for a DJ (Dirt Jumper) specific bike. Something with a heavily re-enforced frame that can handle what you're wanting to do. An XC bike like that Kona Honzo won't cut it. Good luck
    Hardly an XC bike.

But I understand completely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ive heard good things about the yeti sb-95. supposed to be very strong.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thankyou all for the help, so if you are a cow that likes to fly you need a special bike made specificly for domesticated farm animals ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

MTB B'dos
    This

Seriously, bikes just aren't designed off the shelf for people like you, you need to either drop some weight or admit to the fact that you'll need a coil sprung FS of the XM/FR orientation.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Trail Ninja
    Must it be a 29er?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Must it be a 29er?
    No it does not have to be 29, my ride right now is a 26er XXL with 29 DH wheels on 42 CM tires but I am afraid to jump it.

I ride high speed road with the trail short cut and jump what I can but I want a rear shock.

Formerly of Kent
    So, you jammed "DH" 29er wheels into a 26er frame, with skinny little tires?

Why? What's the point?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    So, you jammed "DH" 29er wheels into a 26er frame, with skinny little tires?

Why? What's the point?
    It's convenient and it works for me, I like the look and feel of a 26 for what I do. It is a road trail cruiser you can jump and beat the crap out of it. I like the speed of the smaller tires plus they are cheaper.

It is a XXL RH,I was thinking about putting a 650 on the rear and running a 29er up front?

I want a real bike now,I was looking at the Specialized StumpJumper with the Brain shock,how good would that be with my DH MTX 33's with Hope Pro hubs?

Any help is welcome and I will build if I can land a frame setup.

MTB B'dos
    Well, you've got what should be some pretty bomb proof wheels there, they should hold up just fine. As to the Stumpy, there's some big guys riding them, but you have to remember air shocks can only be pumped up so high and at your weight you're close to or above that Max PSI that shocks can take, def would be better looking at something that can use a coil shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    want a real bike now,I was looking at the Specialized StumpJumper with the Brain shock,how good would that be with my DH MTX 33's with Hope Pro hubs?

Any help is welcome and I will build if I can land a frame setup.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

get down!
    How about the 2012 Salsa Horsethief that Universal Cycles is blowing out? Hard to beat that deal. Mine arrives (again) tomorrow.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the help you all,Yaa I have 2 set's of MTX 33's one with hopes and one with Shimano's hubs.

I will look at the Horse Theif, I would never steal a horse, however cows are a different story thay taste so much better.

Which Stumpies work best for larger riders, the shock layout I noticed can be different. Some have the shock positioned by the bottom bracket and others on the top tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My friend built a custom 29er from Engin and it was made with Heavy Metal Steel tubes form the UK (not sure about the mfgr and i could not find online)- apparently a bit beefier than the standard steel tubing. Bike is rock solid. Worth asking about if you can afford it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have been on Ebay looking, I do not know what to look for ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just reread the op. Wow- good luck finding something to handle the riding you described with the mass you have to manage. Custom sounds like the way to go. Try transition bikes- maybe they can help....with some extra goodness on this sweet lookin bike!!!

http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Bank
    Last edited by jomissa; 10-29-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    To truly handle your weight and intended use I'm pretty sure you are going to need a custom frame, for a 29er.

Like someone else posted, a 26er DJ bike could probably deal with it...but I don't think you're going to get 29er wheels on there.

For a FS 29er, I'd look to either a semi-custom build from Ventana, maybe a stock Banshee Prime (biiig maybe, contact Banshee), or a full custom job from someone like Waltworks.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    To truly handle your weight and intended use I'm pretty sure you are going to need a custom frame, for a 29er.

Like someone else posted, a 26er DJ bike could probably deal with it...but I don't think you're going to get 29er wheels on there.

For a FS 29er, I'd look to either a semi-custom build from Ventana, maybe a stock Banshee Prime (biiig maybe, contact Banshee), or a full custom job from someone like Waltworks.

Good luck!
    Do you mean a 26 DH bike? 29's fit on my 26 XXL RH but you have to run small tires. I really like what I have but want to jump more.

I come off of riding 25 years of MOTO X motorcycles and rode 500 2 smokes so like this is a shock to me because all I had to do on a CR 500 was spring and valve suspension and I was there.

So like is mountain biking for fat old hogs like me and women?

workin' it Administrator
    Have you considered a Surly Karate Monkey? Not a FS but a bomb proof hardtail designed around 29er wheels. Would certainly fit your wheels and allow a larger tire for some cush. Get yourself some schwable big apples and go to work. You could then source out a good fork and probably be in for $1000-1500 or so depending on what you could swap over (cranks, derailleurs, headset).

I am with every one else's opinion that if you can't get a custom FS bike (lenz?) for your weight, everything else is just going to be overstressed. Alternately look around your locale and see if there is a custom builder that will do a custom frame to meet your needs. Troll the MTBR classifieds to see if you can pick up a fork that meets your needs and then assemble the Ultimate you bike. And this time lock the daylights out of it.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Are you looking for a full suspension bike or a hardtail?

The trek stache would be a suitable hardtail.

Talk to me in the spring and I'll probably have one for sale with 36 hole all mountain 29er rims laced to Azonic Recoil hubs
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    Do you mean a 26 DH bike? 29's fit on my 26 XXL RH but you have to run small tires. I really like what I have but want to jump more.

I come off of riding 25 years of MOTO X motorcycles and rode 500 2 smokes so like this is a shock to me because all I had to do on a CR 500 was spring and valve suspension and I was there.

So like is mountain biking for fat old hogs like me and women?
    For a DJ bike I was thinking 26er, with 36 spoke wheels (so they are more resilient).

I'm wary of thinking you'll find sturdy 29er tires that hold up well for you, that fit on a 26er frame, I don't think. Not for the very aggro use anyway. Factoring in jumping and related stuff I'd want at least a 2.2" tire that has a solid build. Probably stick with UST tires just for the extra tight bead and built-up sidewalls.

You can't really compare moto vs bikes as the moto have a TON more "budget" for heavier components, which in turn hold up for heavier riders.

Lenz Sport is a great company, like Rockcrusher mentioned, they also do custom/semi-custom work and could probably help you out. They have been making "trail" to "aggro" to "DH"-friendly 29ers for a while now - you should really look at what they have available.

It's also a very good point that most air-spring bikes and forks may be a hard fit for your mass, You'll likely be better off with coil-spring based stuff, and you'll probably need some custom tuning on the compression damper too in order for it to work best for you.

Most bikes are NOT made with 300# rides in mind, especially for 300# riders who want quality air time ... you're really not main-stream so you gotta expect a bit more challenge finding something that's going to ride the way you want it, and hold up.

FWIW, back in '02 I weighed about 240, probably over 250 all geared up, and I got a 5" trail bike. I broke the frame five times in nine months of use, and both dropouts on the fork once too. I was not into big jumping at all - largest jump was maybe 3' but to a good landing - I just put a good amount of miles on it. Time and materials have advanced, I'm sure the equivalent bike is now much more durable, but still that was an 'all day ride aggro' bike *not* an "XC" bike - it should have held up better IMO. After the last time it broke (and the vendor replaced the frame and fork...great service!) we sold it off and found me a better built machine. The better machine served me for 7 years and I'm pretty sure it only failed because I literally started using it for DH and FR at bike parks ( Diablo/Mountain Creek in NJ, Plattekill in NY, etc. ). The second machine was up to the task.

I have 100% faith there's the right bike for what you want, but I only have 60% faith that it's available in stock from from any builder ... it will take research though on your part to find it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all the help, I will keep the bike I have with small tires and build one with a shock for launching with the hopes and bigger tires.

If what I have now this style had a lockout shock and bigger tires that would be for me.

Road riding but with brutal shortcuts. After riding moto x I like high speed blasting with light jumps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast