Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004

Closeout Satori VS Closeout RIP 9?..OR..Best 4-5" Trail Bike Frame For Under $1000?

Looking to build up another 29er trail bike and have found good deals on these two frames.

I'll use it for all-around trail duties on rougher trails, but may also use it for some endurance races (depending on the course) so looking for something that will pedal well for a trail bike. I know the Satori has a little more travel at 5.1" vs 4.5", and think that the RIP linkage design may do a better job of cancelling out pedal-bob while staying active.

Anybody have experience on both?

I know there are other great options out there but keep the suggestions to something that can be purchased as a frame only and can be had for under $1000. Probably has to be a closeout frame to hit that price point.

Also have a Spearfish and coming off a TNT Turner Sultan (similar design to the Satori). Have Owned a bunch of other FS 29ers so comparisons to other bikes would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Look at the Thumpers being sold in the classified with a warranty by Switchback bikes. A Horstlink Satori.
    Those are going for $750
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've owned both a Rip9 and a Satori with similar builds. For my style of riding and terrain (pretty gnarly Arizona rocks), I preferred the Satori by a wide margin. If your trails are smoother and less technical, the Rip will certainly pedal a bit better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    Look at the Thumpers being sold in the classified with a warranty by Switchback bikes. A Horstlink Satori.
    Those are going for $750
    I have one of these. With the crap winter we have been having I have only put about 30 trail miles on it, but so far I am really happy with it. Super plush, and pedals reasonably well.

The White Jeff W
    Like Capt America I havent gotten in a lot of miles on my Satori but I can say that it pedals well. The suspension is pretty firm and I find myself just leaving the shock in descend mode all the time. It is a big burly bike, though, and not the one I would reach for if I was doing endurance races.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Satori owner - Jeffw hit it on the head. I have about 1200 miles on my 13 Satori. Upgraded to a lighter wheel build which helps on this burly build. Does so much so well - pedals better than people would think - active but supportive (see jeff's firm comment) - and will walk up the steep and technical as well as anything i've ridden. once it turns down just start lauging! This is my "love affair" bike that changed it all for me and IMO was the pre-cursor to the new models that have now come on to the scene w shortish chainstays, slack head - designed to be "enduro" bikes - real strail destroyers. I've ridden this bike on lines that caused me blood loss and pain on all other bikes - and even with a bad line you can simply point it in a direction, and go - i think a 140-150 pike would make it even moreso a trail destroyer. Its no race whippet - but was never intended to be. overall its a great bike. now - the hammerhead leftovers at that ridiculous price of 750 would be a steal - i contemplated one with a compenent swap - just to try it with the fsr rear...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    Satori owner - Jeffw hit it on the head. Does so much so well - pedals better than people would think - active but supportive (see jeff's firm comment) - and will walk up the steep and technical as well as anything i've ridden. overall its a great bike. now - the hammerhead leftovers at that ridiculous price of 750 would be a steal - i contemplated one with a compenent swap - just to try it with the fsr rear...
    I'm a former Satori owner and now I'm on a HH Thumper. The Satori is an excellent trail bike and I preferred it to my DW 5 spot, Santa Cruz nickel and Knolly Endorphin for technical climbing and rolling single track. Point all four down hill and the Satori came in 4th because the suspension is just not as plush as those others. As an overall trail bike the Satori has been my favorite. I've only had one ride on the Thumper so not much to report yet other then to say the suspension is firm like the Satori and it feels like it has tons of traction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Satori Rocks!!!

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    I ride my 2013 Satori routinely climbing 3-4K and even though it's on the heavy side, it crawls up some ridiculous rock ledges. Super stable when flying through rock gardens.

It's the most stable bike I've ever owned - never seems to deflect off loose rocks. Steering is almost mental, look where you want to go and it does.

However I wouldn't call this an endurance bike - simply because of the weight.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I'm a former Satori owner and now I'm on a HH Thumper. The Satori is an excellent trail bike and I preferred it to my DW 5 spot, Santa Cruz nickel and Knolly Endorphin for technical climbing and rolling single track. Point all four down hill and the Satori came in 4th because the suspension is just not as plush as those others. As an overall trail bike the Satori has been my favorite. I've only had one ride on the Thumper so not much to report yet other then to say the suspension is firm like the Satori and it feels like it has tons of traction.
    if you haven't made a decision by this weekend i'll be able to give my ride report on my Thumper as well (a/k/a Hammerhead 130x, a/k/a Switchback Unveil9)

mtbr member
    OP - did you buy a frame yet?

I have about 8 or so rides on the HH Thumper now and the one difference I notice between it and the Satori is that while the Sator did a good job of keeping the rear end planted when braking over chunk the Thumper keeps the rear wheel planted. I would say that both the Satori and the Thumper are equal when climbing but I prefer the Thumper once the trail is pointed down.

mtbr member
    I agree. I'm actually pretty impressed. I thought I'd be huffing and puffing up the climbs I normally struggle on with my f29, but the momentum stays right with me on the thumper which makes up for the bit of extra weight pretty well. Then point down hill and it's all smiles. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I got a close out 2012 RIP9, if you go this route you have to put a 140 on it. Put over 500 miles on mine then put on the 140. Completely different bike. It seems to do everything better.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.