Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Civilian Young Turk....anybody???

Ok, there have been plenty of Luddite responses. Anyone have the Young Turk? If you do, post up some pics!
    I love 'Murica!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Agreed, I would love to hear a actual ride review.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Same here. Looking for somebody who actually has a Young Turk to post some pics and their thoughts. Also, looking to see if the fork is QR or actually 15mm as advertised. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    The Young Turk is back on huck n roll and has 4 or 5 little reviews listed.

This is just speculation on my part but I think the fork has to be 9mm qr. The wheels are the same as the Luddite's and I am sure they bought/built them in bulk.

mtbr member
    I agree Zakman. The qr is a lot cheaper than a 15mm TA and i dont see one being offered at the bike's price point, BUT it would be a nice feature.
    I love 'Murica!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It appears like only a handfull of people here at MTBR have this ride, Luddite seems more popular. I am still happy w/ mine, still wishing it came w/ 15mm axle though. Not sure my ride reports would be helpful as I don't have anything but a ten y.o. FSR to compare to. Again, very happy w/ the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Civilian Young Turk....anybody???-7-1-12-018.jpg  

Civilian Young Turk....anybody???-7-1-12-016.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaugbrad View Post
    It appears like only a handfull of people here at MTBR have this ride, Luddite seems more popular. I am still happy w/ mine, still wishing it came w/ 15mm axle though. Not sure my ride reports would be helpful as I don't have anything but a ten y.o. FSR to compare to. Again, very happy w/ the bike.
    Your bike looks awesome and if your happy, that's all that matters.

mtbr member
    That's a sweet ride. And yes, who cares, if you like it, then it rocks.
    I love 'Murica!

gravity fighter
    Is that the XL? and have you weighed it? I really dig the retro vibe of the frame. I bet it rides as good as it looks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice whip. I dig the grips.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It is the XL & fits very well (35.5 inseam). TTL seems perfect, not bent over like a racer or as upright as beach cruiser. The TTL is about .5" longer than fit calculator on Comp. Cyclist suggested, standover gives me about 3.5" clearance.

I have not weighed and am in no hurry to. Sealant is on the way and looking at lighter tires, probably the only place I'll try to shave some weight. Its a trail bike, so other than this obvious bulk rotating, I'm not going to sweat ounces.

I said in some other thread that it's a great deal at the 1399 I paid, now they're marked down to $1125ish and have a 60 day return policy - Get One!

mtbr member
    It is the XL & fits very well (35.5 inseam). TTL seems perfect, not bent over like a racer or as upright as beach cruiser. The TTL is about .5" longer than fit calculator on Comp. Cyclist suggested, standover gives me about 3.5" clearance.

I have not weighed and am in no hurry to. Sealant is on the way and looking at lighter tires, probably the only place I'll try to shave some weight. Its a trail bike, so other than this obvious bulk rotating, I'm not going to sweat ounces.

I said in some other thread that it's a great deal at the 1399 I paid, now they're marked down to $1125ish and have a 60 day return policy - Get One!
    Can you return it and get one at the lower price? Might be worth the phone call if you are still within 60 days. They may give you $275 in credit towards gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What color is this one? I ordered a 15" for my wife.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Can you return it and get one at the lower price? Might be worth the phone call if you are still within 60 days. They may give you $275 in credit towards gear.
    Thanks for bringing that up. Called and asked about returning and re-ordering to get back some $ - was asked to hold & after about a minute the rep came back & bluntly told me he just credited my card $275! (after already getting back $100 for the mistake of advertising w/ 15mm). So I got my sweet ride for the sale price - KICK ASS!

Looking for front wheel w/ 9mm thru axle & OS caps to stiffen ms. Reba

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got my wife's Young Turk and was putting it together and noticed too things: this is the best packaging you could ever hope for and the guy or gal that put it together did a great job. The tires are a joke and do indeed weigh 980+ grams. I slapped on some others I had sitting around and lost a pound with no work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I got my wife's Young Turk and was putting it together and noticed too things: this is the best packaging you could ever hope for and the guy or gal that put it together did a great job. The tires are a joke and do indeed weigh 980+ grams. I slapped on some others I had sitting around and lost a pound with no work.
    Which tires saved that much weight? Have a total weight for bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Which tires saved that much weight? Have a total weight for bike?
    I put some WTB Prowler SL 29ers I had sitting around that were another take off item. They weighed in at 730 each, which is not light by any standard. I could have gone to 600 gram Small Block 8s, but this is my wife first mountain bike and we want to keep her off the ground.

mtbr member
    Thanks for bringing that up. Called and asked about returning and re-ordering to get back some $ - was asked to hold & after about a minute the rep came back & bluntly told me he just credited my card $275! (after already getting back $100 for the mistake of advertising w/ 15mm). So I got my sweet ride for the sale price - KICK ASS!

Looking for front wheel w/ 9mm thru axle & OS caps to stiffen ms. Reba
    Awesome! So you got the bike for even cheaper than the sale price.

You can get a set of Stan's arch ex's with ztr hubs from pro bike supply for $485 and then buy the 9mm thru conversion kit from the no tubes website for $20. Those wheels should save you about 800 grams for the set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome! So you got the bike for even cheaper than the sale price.

You can get a set of Stan's arch ex's with ztr hubs from pro bike supply for $485 and then buy the 9mm thru conversion kit from the no tubes website for $20. Those wheels should save you about 800 grams for the set.
    Honestly, I'm not sure 1 lb is worth $500. Hoping to find a front wheel w/ 9mm thru axle to stiffen the fork and setting up SB8s tubeless to save maybe 700g?

mtbr member
    Honestly, I'm not sure 1 lb is worth $500. Hoping to find a front wheel w/ 9mm thru axle to stiffen the fork and setting up SB8s tubeless to save maybe 700g?
    It would actually be more like 1.7 lbs. You could probably save close to 700 grams just switching the tires and going tubeless. You can also buy just a front Stan's wheel and conversion kit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It would actually be more like 1.7 lbs. You could probably save close to 700 grams just switching the tires and going tubeless. You can also buy just a front Stan's wheel and conversion kit.
    If you go to SB8s alone, you'll lose 1.5 (760 grams) just in tires. The tube are a little heavy too; the wheels aren't bad, but not that light either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If you go to SB8s alone, you'll lose 1.5 (760 grams) just in tires. The tube are a little heavy too; the wheels aren't bad, but not that light either.
    Can't believe the weight difference between the Nevegal and SB8, hopefully the SB8 agrees with my trails, road sections will be quicker. Do think it's worth going tubeless or is the weight of a 29" tube close to the weight of the required amount of sealant?

BTW SB8s on sale @ PricePoint for $33

mtbr member
    Can't believe the weight difference between the Nevegal and SB8, hopefully the SB8 agrees with my trails, road sections will be quicker. Do think it's worth going tubeless or is the weight of a 29" tube close to the weight of the required amount of sealant?

The tubes in mine weighed 210 grams each. Four ounces of Stan's weigh 120 grams.

Even though some people run them tubeless, not all Kenda tires are meant to be used that way. The ones marked SCT (sealant compatible tires) are designed to be run tubeless with sealant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

There are a few light tires out there to check out. SB8s are very fast and light for the money, but not that grippy on some trails. Your local forum may have some recommendations for tires that work in your area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I finally put one together yesterday for my wife and it appears to be a nice bike for the money. The 1x10 set is slick, shifts very smoothly (disclaimer: I haven't ridden gears in many years) and was perfectly tuned out of the box. Most parts seem decent other than the super heavy steel belted tires and the wheels are a little heavy. The build was impeccable and the packing perfect. There was a nice checklist that showed everything that was done to the bike and they even trued the wheels and test rode it.

tl1
    Bicyclist

That's a h3ll of lot of bang for the buck

At a number of stores this bike is selling for $1124, at least one has free shipping at that price. For comparison my kinda comparable 2007 Salsa El Mariachi sold for $1349 in 2007 at my LBS with a rigid fork and I think the msrp was around $200 more than that. This has a tapered headset frame and tapered 100 mm Reba and a pretty decent parts kit, nothing blingy but definitely very serviceable and upgradable as needed. I love the look of the bike and both colors too.

By comparison the Salsa El Mariachi 3 is generally similar but somewhat less well equipped and with a lesser fork and goes for around $1500. Though Salsa did go to a 2 ring crank with front derailler though and the Turk is single ring. I'm pretty tempted to buy one just for the frame and fork but I love the old Mariachi a lot and it might be offended. I'll be watching with interest how people that buy these steel framed Turks like them.

get down!
    Thinking of getting one for my 5'6.5 to 5'7 girlfriend. What size do you think? The TT on the 15 seems tiny and the stand over on the 17 suspect.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Thinking of getting one for my 5'6.5 to 5'7 girlfriend. What size do you think? The TT on the 15 seems tiny and the stand over on the 17 suspect.
    I got the 15 for my 5"-7" wife. It comes with a 80mm stem (I'd guess) and wide bars, it seems like a good fit for her. Lots of stand over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    At a number of stores this bike is selling for $1124, at least one has free shipping at that price. For comparison my kinda comparable 2007 Salsa El Mariachi sold for $1349 in 2007 at my LBS with a rigid fork and I think the msrp was around $200 more than that. This has a tapered headset frame and tapered 100 mm Reba and a pretty decent parts kit, nothing blingy but definitely very serviceable and upgradable as needed. I love the look of the bike and both colors too.

By comparison the Salsa El Mariachi 3 is generally similar but somewhat less well equipped and with a lesser fork and goes for around $1500. Though Salsa did go to a 2 ring crank with front derailler though and the Turk is single ring. I'm pretty tempted to buy one just for the frame and fork but I love the old Mariachi a lot and it might be offended. I'll be watching with interest how people that buy these steel framed Turks like them.
    Maybe you just need one geared and one SS. Take your pick.

mtbr member
    If it is not going to be a surprise, you could use the fit calculator on competitive cyclist. I hear it is pretty accurate.

get down!
    I got the 15 for my 5"-7" wife. It comes with a 80mm stem (I'd guess) and wide bars, it seems like a good fit for her. Lots of stand over.
    Did you get the sky blue color?

Could you measure stand over for me and maybe post a pic of the small?

Thanks! I will try to use the fit calculator too.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    You'll save way more than a pound with the archex set up tubeless with decent tires. My Luddite went from 27lbs and some change to 23.6lbs just from swapping those wheels and tires. Very worthy upgrade IMO.

The Young Turk is sweet btw
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Did you get the sky blue color?

Could you measure stand over for me and maybe post a pic of the small?

Thanks! I will try to use the fit calculator too.
    We got the blue - it's reminiscent of the sea foam blue/green popular on 50s Chevys. The stand over is around 28" to 29" depending on where you measure. I'll post up a photo when I can. The bike looks quite nice in person.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anyone put a bash guard/ guide on your bike? And if so, which one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Anyone put a bash guard/ guide on your bike? And if so, which one?
    My Turk came with guide and plate. Chain is going nowhere. Really want to stiffen front wheel / fork, maybe used 15mm wheel and 9mm thru bolt reducer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My Turk came with guide and plate. Chain is going nowhere. Really want to stiffen front wheel / fork, maybe used 15mm wheel and 9mm thru bolt reducer?
    The one I got for my wife was also setup this way. Chain seems secure. Are you finding the fork is noodlely (sp?) or something? My wife is like 125, so it won't matter to her ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't know if I would say noodely (Sp? as well) more a flex of fork when pulling rim to crown area. Naturally, there will be some flex - probably just an issue in my head as the tapered tube seems to put the bike where I want. BTW I'm about 200# geared up. Curious if others with similar reba setups find the fork flexy as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't know if I would say noodely (Sp? as well) more a flex of fork when pulling rim to crown area. Naturally, there will be some flex - probably just an issue in my head as the tapered tube seems to put the bike where I want. BTW I'm about 200# geared up. Curious if others with similar reba setups find the fork flexy as well.
    Whatever you do, make sure to use live chat to let them know it didn't have a 15mm Maxie axel. I did this and got a little more money off. This bike is getting to be a great buy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So far theres been lots of talk about parts and price, but not so much from people who have actually ridden it.

Anyone have a ride report? Would love to hear something how the geo rides, etc.
    Last edited by Fluidworks; 07-18-2012 at 06:18 AM.

mtbr member
    $899.40 on department of goods with coupon code 6AS-1-UGL9A.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Think Realcyclist would offer to match price? I can't believe how the price continues to drop. It has to be the best deal on 2 wheels

mtbr member
    Think Realcyclist would offer to match price? I can't believe how the price continues to drop. It has to be the best deal on 2 wheels
    Huck N Roll did a price match for my Luddite. It came down to $629.40.

mtbr member
    Double post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was OK with original price, just got off phone w/ Backcountry and they are matching the Dept of Goods redemption code.

$1500 bike is now a $900 bike!!R

Again, killer deal

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was OK with original price, just got off phone w/ Backcountry and they are matching the Dept of Goods redemption code.

$1500 bike is now a $900 bike!!R

Again, killer deal
    I think I got it for 825 because of a little discount I got for the lack of 15mm Maxie!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ordered one as well! I had my heart set on an El Mariachi but this just seems too good to pass up! Seems like one heck of a deal for $1500 and even better for $900!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I jumped on the band wagon too...Cant wait for my shipment to arrive...

mtbr member
    Just ordered my Young Turk XL last night! I'm just hoping I like the geometry...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks Zakman for the coupon code. I ordered one this a.m. I thought the Airborne Goblin was a good deal but the Turk is more unique for way less.

mtbr member
    It looks like all the Civilian bikes have been removed from the Department of Goods website. Congrats to everyone who got their bike for an unbelievable 40% off the original price.

mtbr member
    The Young Turk and Luddite can still be ordered through Amazon at the 25% off price. Though not as good as 40% off, but better than 15% off using the Huck N Roll code. Both bikes are shipped from Department of Goods according to Amazon.

mtbr member
    Well I haven't even received the bike yet, but I'm already ordering upgrades. I bought a Specialized Purgatory 2.2 control for the front and WTB Bronson 2.2 TCS AM for the rear. I just found a good deal on some wheels from Wiggle, Hope Pro 2 evo on Stans Crest rims for $332.40. I'm hoping with the changes I will have shaved 2 or more pounds! Only other thing I'm concerned about is the gearing. Is the 33t chain ring adequate for steep climbs, or should I consider something a little smaller?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 06DODGECTD View Post
    Well I haven't even received the bike yet, but I'm already ordering upgrades. I bought a Specialized Purgatory 2.2 control for the front and WTB Bronson 2.2 TCS AM for the rear. I just found a good deal on some wheels from Wiggle, Hope Pro 2 evo on Stans Crest rims for $332.40. I'm hoping with the changes I will have shaved 2 or more pounds! Only other thing I'm concerned about is the gearing. Is the 33t chain ring adequate for steep climbs, or should I consider something a little smaller?
    You'll have a 36t on the back, so it should be plenty easy (disclosure: I'm a single speeder). Do you have a weight on that wheelset or link?

mtbr member
    You'll have a 36t on the back, so it should be plenty easy (disclosure: I'm a single speeder). Do you have a weight on that wheelset or link?
    Well I'm sure it would seem like overkill to a "single speeder", but I'm just getting started again after a 10 week break so we shall see. No I don't have a weight on the wheel set, but I do have the link...
    front wheel: Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel Performance Wheels
    rear wheel: Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Rear Wheel Performance Wheels
    coupon code 10-off

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well I'm sure it would seem like overkill to a "single speeder", but I'm just getting started again after a 10 week break so we shall see. No I don't have a weight on the wheel set, but I do have the link...
    front wheel: Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel Performance Wheels
    rear wheel: Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Rear Wheel Performance Wheels
    coupon code 10-off

Thanks for your help!
    Weigh the wheelset if can at some point, it appears to be a good deal.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Weigh the wheelset if can at some point, it appears to be a good deal.
    At Notubes.com it looks to be 1580 for that wheelset. Changing out the tires and wheelset should drop close to 2.7lbs in rotational weight. Which I think it the best weight shaving investment you can make. Also those hope hubs can convert to 9mm thru

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ddouble518 View Post
    At Notubes.com it looks to be 1580 for that wheelset. Changing out the tires and wheelset should drop close to 2.7lbs in rotational weight. Which I think it the best weight shaving investment you can make. Also those hope hubs can convert to 9mm thru
    I wish they had a Arch EX version.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

young turk order

I ordered mine a week ago from Dept of Goods and haven't gotten a tracking # yet. Has any one else received their order or at least a tracking #? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ordered mine on the 16thfront and shipped yesterday. I called they are back up in the nike building dept.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ordered mine on the 16thfront and shipped yesterday. I called they are back up in the nike building dept.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelfan View Post
    I ordered mine a week ago from Dept of Goods and haven't gotten a tracking # yet. Has any one else received their order or at least a tracking #? Thanks.
    Yep I ordered mine the same time. Called and they told me there was a delay and that it should ship by the end of this week.

Also the customer service person from Department of Goods had a Backcountry.com email address. I didnt know they where all related, but it seems that all of the same companies fall under the same ownership. So I'm guessing all bikes from each site are coming from the same bike department.

|Backcountry|Dogfunk|HucknRoll|RealCyclist|Departm entofGoods|
    |SteepandCheap|WhiskeyMilitia|ChainLove|Bonktown|

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IamOvo View Post
    Yep I ordered mine the same time. Called and they told me there was a delay and that it should ship by the end of this week.

Also the customer service person from Department of Goods had a Backcountry.com email address. I didnt know they where all related, but it seems that all of the same companies fall under the same ownership. So I'm guessing all bikes from each site are coming from the same bike department.

|Backcountry|Dogfunk|HucknRoll|RealCyclist|Departm entofGoods|
    |SteepandCheap|WhiskeyMilitia|ChainLove|Bonktown|
    All Backcountry; it seems to be a strategy of sorts to have so many websites. I ordered my Luddite from Backcountry and the box said HnR and CC.

mtbr member
    I ordered my Young Turk July 18th and it finally shipped out yesterday. I should have in on Monday!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Got my Ship Notice from Department of Goods last night - arrives on Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex413 View Post
    Did she get the blue? We got my wife a small blue and it seems to fit well.

mtbr member
    Well here it is with the new Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs on Stans Crest rims and the new rubber...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Civilian Young Turk....anybody???-young-turk-3.jpg  

Civilian Young Turk....anybody???-young-turk-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well here it is with the new Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs on Stans Crest rims and the new rubber...
    Looking good. Did you happen to weigh the wheels?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking good. Did you happen to weigh the wheels?
    The front + rear wheel + Tire + Tubes w/o skewers came to 4830grams on my food scale. I just mounted the fulcrum red metal xl's and waiting on tires to be delivered today. The sky blue is more like an aqua blue in my opinion but I like it.

mtbr member
    No I don't have a scale to weigh the wheels, but they seem pretty light. I had a great ride on it today. I think I'm really going to enjoy this bike, the geometry seems spot on!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Civilian Young Turk....anybody???-young-turk-trail.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My turk showed up this week, love this bike - fits great and really nice to ride. I'll upgrade as things break on it, so keep the upgrades coming.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I ordered my YT on the last day of the $899 price and received it a few days ago. Work kept me away until Thursday when I could assemble it.

THE BUILD

I'll echo similar sentiments about how well this bike is packaged and shipped by . Amazing, the most well shipped bike or anything I've ever seen. I'll likewise echo sentiments about how handsome the bike itself is. The clean, uncluttered look of the frame is gorgeous. The color is likewise beautiful, pictures don't convey the asphalt has a bit of blue in it. Very nice. Nice that the bike comes pregreased and adjusted. Made the assembly quite easy. Out of the box the only changes I made were to drop the Nevegals like a bad habit and put on Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in the front and Crossmark in the rear. Still tubed, but noticeably lighter. With a pair of Forte convert pedals it was good to go. Here's a photo when still fresh.

http://i.imgur.com/1fzmF.jpg

THE RIDE

So good. I didn't have the time to drive to any good trails, so I was left to hop on to the nearby bike path and ride to some dirt. Even on the pavement, I felt very comfortable. Riding position on the XL is perfect for my 6'2" height. Not too casual, not too aggressive, just right. Shifting with the X9 RD was perfect. Nice that it came adjusted correctly out of the box. I can't comment on the Nevegals as I didn't use them, but the Ardent/Crossmark combo is great. Fast rolling, low resistance, not very loud. Didn't have enough use of the Avid 3's to make much of a judgement.

Once I got to the dirt things got much more interesting. The bike handled great. Even on some sloppy trails, the geo felt right on. The front wheel could get up when needed, stable when pointed downhill. The overall package itself felt very solid. This frame feels quite stable under aggressive riding, I can tell it will enjoy being pushed. I even came across a few bmx jumps it looked like some kids made. My first attempt ended with a "Did I hit it?" feeling. Turns out the wagon wheels with the Reba simply soaked up most of the ramp. My second attempt fared better, once both wheels were up it landed with a smooth plop, not a jarring drop like my old HT 26er. These wheels aren't the strongest thing ever, but will last until I can get a set of Arches to replace them. And while I was initially concerned the 9mm QR was going to noodle all over the place, it wasn't noticeable at all. I'll replace the lowers with a 15mm when I replace the wheels, but for now I'm just happy to ride it.

About 40 minutes into my ride a family of goat's heads decided to put an end to my fun in the form of a flat rear. I was still grinning on the walk home however, but the ghetto tubeless will be nice.

So overall, I couldn't be more happy with my purchase. The insane deal I got notwithstanding, this is steal a huge value for the price it's at, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's been checking it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Apparently my review was a great way to murder this thread. Oh well. I have an updated review after several rides, I'll get it after I'm off work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Apparently my review was a great way to murder this thread. Oh well. I have an updated review after several rides, I'll get it after I'm off work.
    Good Review did you try those wheels ghetto tubeless yet, thinking baout doing it on my luddite I have waiting toget built up for awhile, at some point I would put the hope/flows from my FS on this and put newer lighter wheels on that bike.

If you do try ghetto tubeless whats your plan, stans kit or guerilla tape?

glad you ar enjoying your new ride.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think if the bike were still 899, this thread would have more traffic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Which is a shame, because even at the regular price this is still a great setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I really like mine. This is my first 29er so I don't know how much relates to this specific frame or just 29ers in general but this bike seems do everything better than my 22 lb 26" alum. XC HT (I also have a 26" rigid SS). Everything stock so far. No complaints on the Nevegal tires. I will replace them with something lighter when they wear out. It doesn't feel or ride like a big or heavy bike. It climbs really well and it takes tight switchbacks great. It's smooth on technical climbs and rocky descents. The steel frame and Reba make the ride quite plush (had a Sid on my other bike). The X9 works well but not as smooth as XTR. The Elixir brakes are strong and quiet (no turkey gobble). The only time I notice the extra weight over my previous race bike is when I hang it up in my garage. So far the only negative I can think of is it only has one water bottle mount. I think I would be happy with this even at full price but with the great deal online I couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    I set up the stock wheels on my Luddite tubeless with just two layers of gorilla tape and stems cut from old tubes. Ran them like that for a month before buying a set of stock arch ex wheels. It worked great for me. No issues. I didn't use the stock tires though.

mtbr member
    Would there be any reason you couldn't remove the tensioner bolts and just have the dropouts all the way forward? And shorten the chain if need be, of course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I set up the stock wheels on my Luddite tubeless with just two layers of gorilla tape and stems cut from old tubes. Ran them like that for a month before buying a set of stock arch ex wheels. It worked great for me. No issues. I didn't use the stock tires though.
    Have you weighed the bike with the wheels?

mtbr member
    Yes but it was on a bathroom scale so I am sure it wasn't accurate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks I might try it probably saguaro rear and racing ralph front, with stans.

Did you leave stock rimstrip in?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    No. Take out the stock rim strip. The gorilla tape acts as the rim strip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anymore ride reports and pics of the bike? Just pulled the trigger on the Young Turk last night through Competitive Cylist. My first HT 29er. I was contemplating between this and the Airborne Goblin but thought I would give steel a try. Can't wait to get it! Also, anyone around 6' 1"? I was debating on going with an XL but went with a L instead since I currently ride a 19.5". Based on their geometry numbers, I think the XL would've been a bit stretched out for me. Anyway, how do you guys like your Young Turk's so far? I'm sure some of you guys have gotten some extended saddle time on it by now.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DBackRider08 View Post
    Anymore ride reports and pics of the bike? Just pulled the trigger on the Young Turk last night through Competitive Cylist. My first HT 29er. I was contemplating between this and the Airborne Goblin but thought I would give steel a try. Can't wait to get it! Also, anyone around 6' 1"? I was debating on going with an XL but went with a L instead since I currently ride a 19.5". Based on their geometry numbers, I think the XL would've been a bit stretched out for me. Anyway, how do you guys like your Young Turk's so far? I'm sure some of you guys have gotten some extended saddle time on it by now.
    Real happy with my XL, I'm 6'1" but that means little person to person. Reach is great for trail riding, more upright than what I was used to. It was the stem/bar height based on head tube length that convinced me to go XL. Beauty is you can return the bike if fit isn't what you're looking for, found excellent customer service. Still can't believe the price I paid for it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My wife's bike is just hanging from the garage celling right now. I'm loving my Luddite and just slapped a 120mm Bomber fork on it and it handles great!
    Last edited by SS Hack; 10-23-2012 at 07:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Young Turk

Had the YT for most of the summer here in the South Shore of Tahoe. 29er HT is the minority here in the land of 6 and 6. I am a shade under 6 1 and the large fits me great. I was on a Redline 29er SS for the last couple of years so I like the SS flexibility the YT affords. This is a great bike for long days in the saddle. Just did a bikepacking trip with great results. To be honest I adapt to whatever bike I'm riding pretty easily but the build with 1 x 10, 8" front rotor, SS capable, steel frame seemed like it was made for my kind of riding. The grips were styly but crappy wear life. The road saddle was torture. Other than that, satisfied after a full summer of adventure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Glad to hear of positive reviews. Mine is supposed to be here by Friday. Can't wait!
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoescott3 View Post
    Had the YT for most of the summer here in the South Shore of Tahoe. 29er HT is the minority here in the land of 6 and 6. I am a shade under 6 1 and the large fits me great. I was on a Redline 29er SS for the last couple of years so I like the SS flexibility the YT affords. This is a great bike for long days in the saddle. Just did a bikepacking trip with great results. To be honest I adapt to whatever bike I'm riding pretty easily but the build with 1 x 10, 8" front rotor, SS capable, steel frame seemed like it was made for my kind of riding. The grips were styly but crappy wear life. The road saddle was torture. Other than that, satisfied after a full summer of adventure.
    Any photos of the bikepacking?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Young Turk

If you are buying this bike than you know what you are looking for. Steel HT's aren't always easy to find in your LBS. Mine are filled with six inch travel aluminum bikes that seem to need replacing every two years or so. I plan on keeping this bike for a while, replacing parts as needed. Heard a lot of gripes about wheel and tire weight, but durability is more valuable to me. My pack weighs a ton and I drink too much beer, which I sometimes carry in my pack that weighs a ton. I can't complain about how much my bike weighs. I wish I had some pictures of my bikepacking trip on the Rim Trail. Went from Spooner to Star Lake. Slept in a great shelter with straw lining the bottom. Climbed Freel the next morning and dropped to Armstrong Pass to Connector to Corral Loop to my house in South Shore. Last somewhat warm weekend of the fall/summer. The Young Turk handles himself well with my somewhat sketchy bikepacking kit. Inspired to tidy up my setup for some bikepacking trips next summer or this fall/winter? Beautiful day up at the lake today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Still waiting for mine to arrive unfortunately. Already looking at parts to upgrade. Anybody know the seat post clamp size? Looking to get the Salsa Lip Lock, just dunno the size. Thanks.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Pretty sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Still waiting for mine to arrive unfortunately. Already looking at parts to upgrade. Anybody know the seat post clamp size? Looking to get the Salsa Lip Lock, just dunno the size. Thanks.
    Same here, though I'm getting the flip lock.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anybody know the seat post clamp size? Looking to get the Salsa Lip Lock, just dunno the size. Thanks.
    I'm wanting to do the same thing with a flip lock. I have a Luddite and would be happy to throw a set of dial calipers on it, but I'm not familiar with where to measure this. Is it based on the seatpost diameter? The diameter of the seat tube (with or without seatpost installed)? Just tell me where to measure and I'll get you an answer when I get home this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Talked to Competitive Cyclist customer service. Clamp size is 30.0mm.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cool thanks. Anyone know the stock stem length and angle? I'm at work as dont have my bike with me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cool thanks. Anyone know the stock stem length and angle? I'm at work as dont have my bike with me.
    I know it's 100mm and I'm just guessing at 6 degrees.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anybody have an actual weight for the stock wheelset/tire combo?
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Wire bead Nevegals were 980 grams each when I weighed them and the wheel set was about 2350 grams. The stock tubes were rather heavy too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Anybody run the Young Turk as a single speed. Seems like a different dropout is needed for extended as opposed to emergency single speed use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So those of you with upgrades done to the bike, especially wheels & tires, what does your bike weigh after upgrades? Ordered a Hope/Flow combo tonight and have Geax Saguaro 2.2 TNT's on the way. Hoping to shave 2 lbs off the bike with the new setup running tubeless. I can't wait. Loving the bike btw.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1