Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Civilian Young Turk....anybody???

Ok, there have been plenty of Luddite responses. Anyone have the Young Turk? If you do, post up some pics!
    Rub some dirt on it and walk it off!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Agreed, I would love to hear a actual ride review.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Same here. Looking for somebody who actually has a Young Turk to post some pics and their thoughts. Also, looking to see if the fork is QR or actually 15mm as advertised. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    The Young Turk is back on huck n roll and has 4 or 5 little reviews listed.

This is just speculation on my part but I think the fork has to be 9mm qr. The wheels are the same as the Luddite's and I am sure they bought/built them in bulk.

mtbr member
    I agree Zakman. The qr is a lot cheaper than a 15mm TA and i dont see one being offered at the bike's price point, BUT it would be a nice feature.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It appears like only a handfull of people here at MTBR have this ride, Luddite seems more popular. I am still happy w/ mine, still wishing it came w/ 15mm axle though. Not sure my ride reports would be helpful as I don't have anything but a ten y.o. FSR to compare to. Again, very happy w/ the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Civilian Young Turk....anybody???-7-1-12-018.jpg  

Civilian Young Turk....anybody???-7-1-12-016.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaugbrad View Post
    It appears like only a handfull of people here at MTBR have this ride, Luddite seems more popular. I am still happy w/ mine, still wishing it came w/ 15mm axle though. Not sure my ride reports would be helpful as I don't have anything but a ten y.o. FSR to compare to. Again, very happy w/ the bike.
    Your bike looks awesome and if your happy, that's all that matters.

mtbr member
    That's a sweet ride. And yes, who cares, if you like it, then it rocks.

gravity fighter
    Is that the XL? and have you weighed it? I really dig the retro vibe of the frame. I bet it rides as good as it looks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice whip. I dig the grips.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It is the XL & fits very well (35.5 inseam). TTL seems perfect, not bent over like a racer or as upright as beach cruiser. The TTL is about .5" longer than fit calculator on Comp. Cyclist suggested, standover gives me about 3.5" clearance.

I have not weighed and am in no hurry to. Sealant is on the way and looking at lighter tires, probably the only place I'll try to shave some weight. Its a trail bike, so other than this obvious bulk rotating, I'm not going to sweat ounces.

I said in some other thread that it's a great deal at the 1399 I paid, now they're marked down to $1125ish and have a 60 day return policy - Get One!

mtbr member
    It is the XL & fits very well (35.5 inseam). TTL seems perfect, not bent over like a racer or as upright as beach cruiser. The TTL is about .5" longer than fit calculator on Comp. Cyclist suggested, standover gives me about 3.5" clearance.

I have not weighed and am in no hurry to. Sealant is on the way and looking at lighter tires, probably the only place I'll try to shave some weight. Its a trail bike, so other than this obvious bulk rotating, I'm not going to sweat ounces.

I said in some other thread that it's a great deal at the 1399 I paid, now they're marked down to $1125ish and have a 60 day return policy - Get One!
    Can you return it and get one at the lower price? Might be worth the phone call if you are still within 60 days. They may give you $275 in credit towards gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What color is this one? I ordered a 15" for my wife.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Can you return it and get one at the lower price? Might be worth the phone call if you are still within 60 days. They may give you $275 in credit towards gear.
    Thanks for bringing that up. Called and asked about returning and re-ordering to get back some $ - was asked to hold & after about a minute the rep came back & bluntly told me he just credited my card $275! (after already getting back $100 for the mistake of advertising w/ 15mm). So I got my sweet ride for the sale price - KICK ASS!

Looking for front wheel w/ 9mm thru axle & OS caps to stiffen ms. Reba

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got my wife's Young Turk and was putting it together and noticed too things: this is the best packaging you could ever hope for and the guy or gal that put it together did a great job. The tires are a joke and do indeed weigh 980+ grams. I slapped on some others I had sitting around and lost a pound with no work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I got my wife's Young Turk and was putting it together and noticed too things: this is the best packaging you could ever hope for and the guy or gal that put it together did a great job. The tires are a joke and do indeed weigh 980+ grams. I slapped on some others I had sitting around and lost a pound with no work.
    Which tires saved that much weight? Have a total weight for bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Which tires saved that much weight? Have a total weight for bike?
    I put some WTB Prowler SL 29ers I had sitting around that were another take off item. They weighed in at 730 each, which is not light by any standard. I could have gone to 600 gram Small Block 8s, but this is my wife first mountain bike and we want to keep her off the ground.

mtbr member
    Thanks for bringing that up. Called and asked about returning and re-ordering to get back some $ - was asked to hold & after about a minute the rep came back & bluntly told me he just credited my card $275! (after already getting back $100 for the mistake of advertising w/ 15mm). So I got my sweet ride for the sale price - KICK ASS!

Looking for front wheel w/ 9mm thru axle & OS caps to stiffen ms. Reba
    Awesome! So you got the bike for even cheaper than the sale price.

You can get a set of Stan's arch ex's with ztr hubs from pro bike supply for $485 and then buy the 9mm thru conversion kit from the no tubes website for $20. Those wheels should save you about 800 grams for the set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome! So you got the bike for even cheaper than the sale price.

You can get a set of Stan's arch ex's with ztr hubs from pro bike supply for $485 and then buy the 9mm thru conversion kit from the no tubes website for $20. Those wheels should save you about 800 grams for the set.
    Honestly, I'm not sure 1 lb is worth $500. Hoping to find a front wheel w/ 9mm thru axle to stiffen the fork and setting up SB8s tubeless to save maybe 700g?

mtbr member
    Honestly, I'm not sure 1 lb is worth $500. Hoping to find a front wheel w/ 9mm thru axle to stiffen the fork and setting up SB8s tubeless to save maybe 700g?
    It would actually be more like 1.7 lbs. You could probably save close to 700 grams just switching the tires and going tubeless. You can also buy just a front Stan's wheel and conversion kit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It would actually be more like 1.7 lbs. You could probably save close to 700 grams just switching the tires and going tubeless. You can also buy just a front Stan's wheel and conversion kit.
    If you go to SB8s alone, you'll lose 1.5 (760 grams) just in tires. The tube are a little heavy too; the wheels aren't bad, but not that light either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    If you go to SB8s alone, you'll lose 1.5 (760 grams) just in tires. The tube are a little heavy too; the wheels aren't bad, but not that light either.
    Can't believe the weight difference between the Nevegal and SB8, hopefully the SB8 agrees with my trails, road sections will be quicker. Do think it's worth going tubeless or is the weight of a 29" tube close to the weight of the required amount of sealant?

BTW SB8s on sale @ PricePoint for $33

mtbr member
    Can't believe the weight difference between the Nevegal and SB8, hopefully the SB8 agrees with my trails, road sections will be quicker. Do think it's worth going tubeless or is the weight of a 29" tube close to the weight of the required amount of sealant?

The tubes in mine weighed 210 grams each. Four ounces of Stan's weigh 120 grams.

Even though some people run them tubeless, not all Kenda tires are meant to be used that way. The ones marked SCT (sealant compatible tires) are designed to be run tubeless with sealant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

There are a few light tires out there to check out. SB8s are very fast and light for the money, but not that grippy on some trails. Your local forum may have some recommendations for tires that work in your area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I finally put one together yesterday for my wife and it appears to be a nice bike for the money. The 1x10 set is slick, shifts very smoothly (disclaimer: I haven't ridden gears in many years) and was perfectly tuned out of the box. Most parts seem decent other than the super heavy steel belted tires and the wheels are a little heavy. The build was impeccable and the packing perfect. There was a nice checklist that showed everything that was done to the bike and they even trued the wheels and test rode it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast