Thread: Chumba HX2

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Chumba HX2

Thought I'd put a few pics up of my new bike, it's a Chumba HX2 29'er.

Built it up to replace my Cove Handjob & Genesis iO Single Speed, as I thought getting one HT to cover both geared & single speeding duties would be a nice idea and fancied trying a 29er too.

Frame: Chumba HX2 in medium
    Forks: Rockshox Reba RL with bar mounted lockout
    Bars: Easton EA70 flat bars 685mm wide
    Stem: Thomson X4 90mm 0 deg rise
    Headset: Hope 1 1/8th to 1 ½ internal
    Grips: Specalized Roco single ring lock-ons

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid Elixir 5
    Front Caliper: Avid Elixir 5
    Front disc: Avid G3 clean sweep 185mm
    Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid Elixir 5
    Rear Caliper: Avid Elixir 5
    Rear Disc: Avid G3 clean sweep 160mm
    Hoses: Avid Elixir

Shifters: Shimano XT 9 speed
    Cables: Shimano SP41/XT
    Front Mech: Shimano SLX 9 speed
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT 9 speed Shadow

Seat: Charge Spoon
    Seat Post: Thomson Elite 31.6mm x 410mm In-line
    Seat Post Clamp: Hope 34.9mm QR

Cranks: RaceFace Evolve XC with RaceFace bash-ring lite
    Chainring(s): 22/32 RaceFace
    Chain: KMC X9.9
    Cassette: Shimano SLX 11-32
    Pedals: Shimano M520
    Bottom Bracket: Bushnell EBB with Shimano SLX HT2 BB

Front Wheel: Hope Hoops 29’er
    Rim: Stans Crest
    Spokes: DT Comp
    Hub: Hope Pro II Evo
    Tube: Tubeless (Stans yellow tape & sealant)
    Tire: Specalized S-Works 2Bliss Ground Control 29”x2.1”

Back Wheel: Hope Hoops 29’er
    Rim: Stans Crest
    Spokes: DT Comp
    Hub: Hope Pro II Evo
    Tube: Tubeless (Stans yellow tape & sealant)
    Tire: Specalized S-Works 2Bliss Ground Control 29”x2.1”

Weight: 26lbs on the nose.

I haven't ridden it as of yet as I only finished it on Saturday night and didn't fancy a big ride round the Peak District (I'm from England BTW & the Peaks are pretty rocky and technical) but I'l be out on it next weekend on a more local shakedown/setting up ride for sure.

mtbr member
    Looks great! I really like the new style HX2 frames. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Looks good. Forks from On-one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    wow that looks bomber, very nice build!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    that looks clean!! the new frames are killer looking...

mtbr member
    looks like fun. let us know how it rides!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Cheers guys.

Clink - the forks are from on-one, how did you guess.

I'll be heading out on it at the weekend, so I'll post up a ride report next week sometime.

The White Jeff W
    Nice looking bike. Id suggest you order a couple spare derailleur hangers now .If you wait till you need them your bike could be sitting for weeks or even months
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Jeff,

Thanks for the heads up, Chumba's UK importer has them in stock.

To be fair I've never wrecked one in 5 years on my other bikes either

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So I headed out for the first time this weekend on my new Chumba HX2, not really knowing what to expect from the bike I took a trip into my local forest onto familiar terrain.

First impressions were that the bike got up to speed just fine, no lack of acceleration. The bike handles the twisty/rooty/muddy single track we have round here just fine, in fact it felt a lot like my Cove Handjob, just faster.

Once on smoother trails it really covers the ground quickly, to be fair it just covers the ground quickly.

It handles really well, and now I've got the Reba RL's dialled in nicely - if you're interested I'm 185lbs kitted up and have 110psi +ve and 100psi -ve with rebound 6 clicks from slowest.

The bike climbs very well too and it's easy to pop the front wheel up to clear roots, rocks and other trail obstruction that crops up and the rear wheel follows over nicely.

There's tons of mud clearance round the tyres on the seat & chainstays, but the front mech doesn't have a lot of clearance, probably 10mm tops, so it creates a bit of a mud shelf, but it's not an issue that affects the riding or shifting.

The tyres - Specalized S-Works Ground Control 2Bliss 2.1" - are pretty good too, nice traction, predictable slip, clear well, decent rolling resistance, all round pretty decent tyres for the kind of riding I do. Pressures are 30psi front & 32psi rear.

Anyway enough of the words, here's a couple of leafy autumnal pictures.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well just thought I’d write an update for anyone who’s interested in how my Chumba HX2 handles different terrain to my first two rides through the woody single track of Delamere Forest.
    On Sunday I headed out to Macclesfield Forest with a group of friends for a ride, as my Nicolai was still manky from its last trip and the Chumba still has new bike awesomeness attached to it, I thought what the hell I’ll take it and see how I get on.
    We headed out of Macclesfield Forest and up a fire road climb, that in places was quite steep, we then turned onto the road that leads up to Charity Lane where it goes into a normal trail, climbed to the top of that, dropped the seat-post and descended to the bottom. I was very impressed with how the bike handled the loose rocky surface and the water bar drops along the way – I’ve just got to remember to use my legs to absorb the landings a bit better ;-)
    From the bottom of Charity Lane we went up past the church and descended down a similarly loose rocky trail with bigger steps/drops again I was impressed with how well the bike handled and stayed on line through the loose corners, we came out on the road from Wildboar Clough to the Cat & Fiddle road – which we duly climbed to the bridleway that turns off by the pub.
    Rode across/down that in some truly horrendous cross winds down to where it comes out on the Leek road, we then carried on to Cumberland Clough, up the bit of a loose climb which the bike handled pretty well, dropped the post again and descended the clough down to the stream at the bottom, this time it was rockier, looser with bigger rock steps & drops.
    As the speed got up I had a couple of “moments” where I could feel the back end kick sideways off rocks, but the front end stayed planted headed where I wanted it to, I never at any point on that descent felt the bike was out of it’s depth or uncomfortable at the speed I was carrying. One of the guys on the ride was behind me on the descent and he said it certainly didn’t hold be back and I didn’t loose much ground at all to the guy in front of me on his full suss – who is a good descender.
    We then headed back into the forest, up over the top on a bit of fire road that gets pretty damn steep and back down to the cars via a trail through the middle of the woods, on the steep climbs the front end stays very planted, the wheel doesn’t lift and the bike just climbs very well.
    In my previous post I said how I thought the bike felt similar to the one it replaced – a Cove Handjob – but to be perfectly honest it climbs better and handles the descents better, best of all after the ride I felt perfectly fresh and could’ve done another couple of hours had the weather not been so bad, quite a surprise for an alloy HT with chunky stays.
    I really do think that the big wheels roll better over rocks and loose obstacles and on climbs they seem to hold their momentum better, despite have a 11-32t cassette on a 22/32 front I never really felt that I needed a lower gear once climbing.

mtbr member

My HX2

Chumba HX2-img_1393.jpgChumba HX2-hx21.jpg
    Reverb/Havens/RaceFace

mtbr member
    I can understand how the pics came out in reverse order, but why is that bash one upsidedown? oh well, you get the idea!