Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromag 29er

aka baycat

Chromag 29er

Bike has been in the works. Don't have geometry and just snagged this proto picture of an unfinished frame. Chromag makes some killer frames so be interesting how this one fairs.

Rear yoke for good clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chromag 29er-chromag-29er.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Exciting! Chainstays look short - pity not ss.

mtbr member
    Steel HT and seems to be built around a 140mm fork

Naturally Organic
    Nice! Even unfinished it looks sweet. Looking forward to the end result!

aka baycat
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    Exciting! Chainstays look short - pity not ss.
    Chromag can do custom most likely. Know on the 26" frames they can mix the Sakura and Samurai. Plus they got a SS called the Stash so it be easy for them to use their horizontal dropouts.

mtbr member
    That bike is rad. It could use a fatter seat tube and guides to accomodate an adjustable seatpost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Any hint about geometry? I'm pretty curious about chainstays length and head angle...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Received this info from Ian at Chromag and thought folks might be interested:

The frame we built was meant to resemble our other trail frames in terms of versatility, leaning to the more rugged trail conditions that we know here in B.C. The head tube is fairly slack, somewhere between 69 and 70 with a 120mm fork. It is built to accommodate large tires (the largest I could easily find were Ardent 2.4s). We used a 44mm zero stack headtube so the stack height is very low up front. Chainstays are fairly short at 440mm. We used a pretty heavy duty tubeset with 19mm seatstays, box section chainstays and True Temper Supertherm top and downtubes. The frame weight is around 5.7lbs unpainted and our complete bike with Hammershmidt is 30.5lbs.

Attached is a photo you may have already seen. This would be a large, with a toptube length just shy of 24(effective), and a seattube of 18.5.

This is our first prototype. We will likely build a couple more to at least establish our sizes, but also to try some lighter configurations and some slight variations in geo. I think this means that actual production is no sooner than 5 or 6 months away.
    He also said that they are likely to build a lighter version as well.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    looks interesting

Group Hug Participant
    Id easily ditch my Paradox for this.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Chainstays, at 440mm, are longer than recent 29ers in the all-mountain category
    Fixed it for him.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

is buachail foighneach me
    Chainstays, at 440mm, pretty much make this a really heavy xc frame.
    Fixed it more.

If it's gonna weigh that much, give it super short(for 29" wheels) stays and a <25mm bb drop. Make it a true, all mtn bike with a little bit of added roll over from the 29" wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow. I think the bike and geometry look great. 440mm stays are a good balance for maximum compliance and good maneuverability. Too short and it will be a harsh ride on fast, rough terrain, too long and it won't ride well on technical shore style trails. I'm looking forward to this bike!

guy
    Apr 2007
    How short do you want the stays to be?
    Why would a higher BB make it more all mtn?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    17.1 inch stays

12.5-12.75 inch BB height with 120mm fork.

cable guides for dropper seatpost

guy
    Apr 2007
    17.1 is possible without getting into a bent seattube or something weird like that, however I'm sure it would reduce the variety of front derailleurs you could use.

The BB is currently at 12.25". I like the way this handles. I don't find any clearance issues, especially with these wheels. Can you elaborate why you would want it higher?

Noted on the cable guides

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr
    17.1 is possible without getting into a bent seattube or something weird like that, however I'm sure it would reduce the variety of front derailleurs you could use.

The BB is currently at 12.25". I like the way this handles. I don't find any clearance issues, especially with these wheels. Can you elaborate why you would want it higher?
    17.1 probably wouldn't be a deal killer for me, but I really like how my Canfield Yelli Screamy handles with 16.7' stays...although it does have a "weird" seat tube and uses a direct mount front derailleur.

I like the bb height as is...keep it low.

Looking forward to seeing the final production run.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

12.25 is fine. I'm excited for the production run of this frame!

FM
    luxatio erecta

This is definitely exciting

My input: Tire clearance trumps all, and is always awesome on chromags.
    It wouldn't bother me at all if the seat tube had to be kinked or offset, or you had to run a bolt-on FD, in order to have both short stays and clearance for big tires. I trust Chromag with all the geometry details.

I'd also love to see full length cable guides including a set for dropper seat posts.
    Lastly... if there's anyway to make it 30.9, so it can accept the current adjustable posts, that would be a huge bonus IMO.

Keep up the killer work

guy
    Apr 2007
    Appreciate the feedback

gmoney was gmoneybike

Quote Originally Posted by RuLz
    Id easily ditch my Paradox for this.
    Thanks pinkbike
    Last edited by ghashmi; 11-01-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: ....
    Were looking at balz

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

custom geo?

Does Chromag do some custom geometries?

If so, I (6'8" 240 pounds) would be interested this bike.

I agree with FM, rear tire clearance trumps all...

E

Group Hug Participant

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! hey stalker,

Quote Originally Posted by ghashmi
    Thanks pinkbike
    Do you even own a bike?

Anyways, I'd like to see that Chromag rider (Jimba?) Take down some Whistler gnar.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Dream bike! I friend and I were just talking how much we loved his Cromag and wished for a 29er version. Please keep it Canadain made! Like the BB and numbers so far. Also would love to see a 30.9 seat tube to run a 5" drop GD post. Awesome.
    Last edited by m-dub; 11-02-2010 at 01:53 PM.
    Enjoy every ride!

is buachail foighneach me
    How short do you want the stays to be?
    Why would a higher BB make it more all mtn?
    I prefer chainstays to be sub 17", but you wont catch me running a front derailluer, so I don't need that to be factored in. 16.5" would be great.

a 12.25" bb on a 29er means that it has 2.25"+ bb drop. I'm under the impression that most 26" all mountain hardtails have about 1" or less bb drop. That's going to make a big difference in handling. It will handle high speeds and fast turns better, but will feel like a typical xc bike in the tech. The Gary Fisher Superfly has a 12.4" bb height and 17.3" stays. It's a xc frame. Aside from being 3 lbs heavier and having a couple of extra cable guides, how is your frame going to be any more 'all mountain'? The wheels by themselves will add a noticeable amount of rollover ability, even without the tucked in characteristics of the comparatively huge amount of bb drop compared to a 26" am frame.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast