mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Chris King Hub rebuild for 29er

I threw in "29er" to try and make this somewhat of an on topic post. I know that many on the 29er board are CK fans and have experience rebuilding CK hubs.

I was pulling the bearings on my CK driveshell and did not get the split ring to catch the outer bearing race. When I tried to tap out the bearing I drove the inner bearing race out and seperated the cage and balls from the outer race. After I got the outer race out of the driveshell I was able to put the balls back in the cage and with a tap of a rubber mallet was able to drive the inner race back in, making the bearing "whole" again. The driveshell bearing does not use a seal or snap-ring. Everything seems to spin smooth (hub is still torn apart) but the bearing seems to spin smooth in my hand.

Should I replace the driveshell bearing or am I ok running the bearing I accidently seperated? The balls, outer and inner race all seem ok.

If anybody has any specific experience with a CK hub bearing rebuild/replacement I would appreciate your guidance. All the information I can find on the web talks about regreasing the bearings and about how long they last. I cannot find any info that helps me determine when I need a new bearing.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    if it spins freely and doesn't seem able to seperate by hand you'll be fine. it's held in place once it's pressed back in so there should be no problem. i did the same thing on mine 2 years and 2 rebuilds ago and it's still spinning fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks, I may replace the bearing just for good measure and keep the old one as a back up. Everything seems to be fine with the old bearing and it is holding together but I am replacing the small bearing on the left side of the hub so I might as well get everything up to speed.

I have the axle that uses the hub cone adjusting tool to adjust bearing pre-load, not the collar with a 3/32 hex bolt. On the drive side of the axle there is a stainless steel collar that has a knurled end that bites the inner face of the frame dropout. When I took the axle out of the hub this time I noticed that the collar pulls off the aluminum axle. Is this normal? It seems like the collar should be pressed on and not move; mine spins on the aluminum axle. While I have the hub all torn apart I would like to make sure everything is in good shape before I re-build and ride and race the rest of the season on the hub. Thanks for any information.

get down!
    Call Chris King. They will talk you through it on the spot. Helped me change to fun bolts from QR one time. One of the reasons why I love Chris King.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE