Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    let's do that again...
    Reputation: Skipndizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    119

    Chocolate covered Ahrens Revolver SS!

    Here She is dressed in a nice layer of New Mexico dirt.

    The frame arrived last Tuesday at noon. I was riding it that evening thanks to the good guys at Mello Vello. That's costomer service for you. So no first build clean pics of this one. I have done four rides so far and am very impressed with her.

    It rides real nice. No harsh riding aluminum here. The geometry makes for one fast ride. This bike screams on the hard packed adobe around here ( think "blue groove" ). The Reba team maxel-light is the plushest most stable fork I have ever ridden. I like the Ralph's a lot but put a 1/4" tear in the center of the front one on a rocky decent. So far the stans sealed it up OK. It started leaking the next day and sealed again. they have so much air volume that you can loose a fair bit of air before you have to put more in. The vector bars in combo with the ESI grips have a comfy feel and that magic carbon vibration dampening. The Formula Oro's came off my old bike. They always squealed on the rigid but are quiet on the Ahrens. They seem to like the bigger wheels better. Me too.

    The build came in at 24lbs with a burly fork. I could lighten it up with a lighter post and crank but I had to do some cost cutting at the end ( you know... recession and all ) and use a cheaper crank and old seatpost.

    I guess my XL Blur is for sale now. I don't see myself back on smaller wheels anytime soon.

    Mike Ahrens was great to deal with. He included some nice swag with the frame including a wisecracker that I intend to use with every ride if I can.

    All in all I'm very pleased with The Chocolate SS... a tasty treat for sure.

    Links-

    http://www.ahrensbicycles.com/

    http://mellowvelo.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    let's do that again...
    Reputation: Skipndizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    119

    Second's

    Two more...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Interlectchewal
    Reputation: tvrbob86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,153
    Hot chocolate! The matching Reba makes it even hotter.

  4. #4
    jmw
    jmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    831
    nice!
    future nature

  5. #5
    Witty McWitterson
    Reputation: ~martini~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,037
    Nice looking bike!

    Makes me hungry though.
    Just a regular guy.

  6. #6
    ...
    Reputation: CDtofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,319
    Bike looks great, that is a sweet color!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,060
    Sexual Chocolate, yeesss, that's right.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  8. #8
    Future Rainbow Jersey
    Reputation: ziggurat22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    449
    Very Nice!

    This may seem like a silly question, but is that steel or aluminum? I'm guessing steel, but the tubes seem like they have a bigger diameter like on an alum. bike. To my untrained eye, steel bikes always look like they have smaller diameter tubing.

    Thanks.
    "If I can't work to make it...I'll rob to take it..."

  9. #9
    Interlectchewal
    Reputation: tvrbob86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggurat22
    Very Nice!

    This may seem like a silly question, but is that steel or aluminum? I'm guessing steel, but the tubes seem like they have a bigger diameter like on an alum. bike. To my untrained eye, steel bikes always look like they have smaller diameter tubing.

    Thanks.
    It's aluminum. Or it has some really horrible welds. See more here.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,893
    Nice, I like the new bike and I really like the Ahrens sliders - I have them on one of my bikes.

    So does Santa Fe require that the your bike color also have to be "earth toned" just like your house? ;-)

  11. #11
    Mashers Only!!
    Reputation: HUGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    578
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM Dark Chocolate!!
    Looks nice man!!

    HUGH

  12. #12
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,711
    Beautiful. Did the same thing with my Reba Team, painted the lowers to match. Yours looks good.

    Morgan

  13. #13
    Interlectchewal
    Reputation: tvrbob86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    Beautiful. Did the same thing with my Reba Team, painted the lowers to match. Yours looks good.

    Morgan
    This post is worthless without pics!


  14. #14
    recognize the slowness
    Reputation: jbflyfshr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    481
    super nice and even better views there

    Freakin jealeous...

    NM is the best! Wish I lived there but once the wife had the kids, they never want to move far away from Mom... again.
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,420
    So sick!!!!!!!!!!

    Mike is a great class act guy...who apparently knows how to design some awesome bikes!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    448
    Wow... that looks great. (even if i'd call it "turd brown") I'd never heard of them before. I'm off to have a look-see. Appreciate the post and congrats! Sweet ride.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,470
    Why are all the pictures broken? I want to see!

  18. #18
    let's do that again...
    Reputation: Skipndizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    119

    Fifth ride was a race that bagged third place!

    I raced my new Ahrens at the La Tierra torture on sunday. http://www.latierratorture.com/

    The Ahrens handled the New Mexico sandy course with aplomb. There was 2000' of climbing in the two laps that the SSers did. I wasn't expecting to get the great start that I did but I guess the excitement of a new bike amped me up. I decided to push it and see what we could do. With the laid back geometry and the big 2.4 RRalphs the Ahrens flew down the course faster with more stability than I have ever experienced on my 26 and 69er bikes. We hooked up on the climbs and rolled through the washes.

    This was my first race in three years. I surprised myself by bagging a third place, literally as shown in the pic.

    Thanks for the comments everyone.

    After the race I was wishing she was made out of chocolate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,893


    Quote Originally Posted by Skipndizzy
    I raced my new Ahrens at the La Tierra torture on sunday. http://www.latierratorture.com/

    The Ahrens handled the New Mexico sandy course with aplomb. There was 2000' of climbing in the two laps that the SSers did. I wasn't expecting to get the great start that I did but I guess the excitement of a new bike amped me up. I decided to push it and see what we could do. With the laid back geometry and the big 2.4 RRalphs the Ahrens flew down the course faster with more stability than I have ever experienced on my 26 and 69er bikes. We hooked up on the climbs and rolled through the washes.

    This was my first race in three years. I surprised myself by bagging a third place, literally as shown in the pic.

    Thanks for the comments everyone.

    After the race I was wishing she was made out of chocolate.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    817
    wow, beautiful... just looks like it rides great!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •