Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    93

    Chinese titanium frames direct

    Chinese titanium frame
    Lets find out how to order titanium frames from china
    Chinese titanium frames direct-20071221749272.jpg
    The China carbon thread grew long maybe this one will too

  2. #2
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    320
    Spanner Bikes | Be your own brand.

    A useful site here if you want cheap ti frame info.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by james-o View Post
    Spanner Bikes | Be your own brand.

    A useful site here if you want cheap ti frame info.
    Thanks, now I have something to read for a while.

  5. #5
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    my xcad has just arrived in the country, after reading all the negative reports I am hoping it doesn't explode on me.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    my xcad has just arrived in the country, after reading all the negative reports I am hoping it doesn't explode on me.
    Is it working out for you? I really want to order the frame I posted a picture of above, but what if it explodes?

  7. #7
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Is it working out for you? I really want to order the frame I posted a picture of above, but what if it explodes?
    The spanner bikes blog is worth reading if thinking about one. It comes up with some worrying scenarios, but it also describes lots of happy customers and large companies using xcad. Any problems come from communication, cultural differences, and design issues - their product seems pretty good on the whole but some would disagree. If money were no option and I just wanted a nice bike made up I would have gone for Quiring again, but the fun was in designing it myself, as well as it being cheaper. They will make nearly anything for you, but if you design something that hasn't been tested before and it breaks then you will have to wear it. I would hope they would look after youif something was clearly their fault.

    My experience has been pretty good on the whole. Porter, while having his own definite style of communication, was reliable with replies and did know what he was talking about. I'll post up more later....I'm at work now...the frame is spot on so far, but I have only started work on it. It'll take me a couple months to build up. The only thing I noticed was the sliders aren't made to the same tolerances as genuine paragons, and so I may try a shim. It would be worth supplying them with some if going this route.

    Chinese titanium frames direct-dsc_0088_zpsc18f1639.jpg
    Chinese titanium frames direct-dsc_0087_zpsbfe8e527.jpg

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ottoreni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    The spanner bikes blog is worth reading if thinking about one. It comes up with some worrying scenarios, but it also describes lots of happy customers and large companies using xcad. Any problems come from communication, cultural differences, and design issues - their product seems pretty good on the whole but some would disagree. If money were no option and I just wanted a nice bike made up I would have gone for Quiring again, but the fun was in designing it myself, as well as it being cheaper. They will make nearly anything for you, but if you design something that hasn't been tested before and it breaks then you will have to wear it. I would hope they would look after youif something was clearly their fault.

    My experience has been pretty good on the whole. Porter, while having his own definite style of communication, was reliable with replies and did know what he was talking about. I'll post up more later....I'm at work now...the frame is spot on so far, but I have only started work on it. It'll take me a couple months to build up. The only thing I noticed was the sliders aren't made to the same tolerances as genuine paragons, and so I may try a shim. It would be worth supplying them with some if going this route.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0088_zpsc18f1639.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	797429
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0087_zpsbfe8e527.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	797430
    Nice looking frame!
    The curved stays look real sweet!
    What chainstay length is that?

    Looks like they did some nice bending for the seat-tube also ...
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

  9. #9
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    yes to the above...I am really happy with the way it looks. I just need to ride it for the final test! Here is the geo.

    Chinese titanium frames direct-mtb44cm-29ersinglespeedlancelitch-20130225_zps78882d35.jpg

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ottoreni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,007
    I will be looking forward to reading a ride report.

    If you don't mind, how much did they charge you for a short stay 29er?
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    93
    $185 for sliding dropouts. Seems a little high, not that I know the price of dropouts or anything. The same dropouts on your bike.
    Was there an up charge for 1 1-2 to 1 1-8 head tube?
    I asked about the cruiser not for performance or comfort. I thought it was stylish.
    I want to run either single speed or perhaps a 3 speed mountain hub.

    Cruiser/Newsboy frame-01
    FOB XI'AN USD635.00/set 1set USD635.00
    Extra costs of sliding dropout:USD185.00


    Ti truss fork
    FOB XI'AN USD455.00/pcs 1pcs USD455.00

  12. #12
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    I will be looking forward to reading a ride report.

    If you don't mind, how much did they charge you for a short stay 29er?
    to tell the truth I can't remember detail..yes there were up charges. Something like $150 for sliders, $70 for tapered but don't quote me. Bend in seat tube cost more, as did postmount fork etc etc. As for whether the prices are fair, it all still ends up pretty cheap comparatively...to put it in perspective, to get sliders from another company in the USA they added $150 as well. For a good builder like quiring, it was included in the total price. Total price for the custom xcad was roughly 1000+. Base custom is $700. Stock frame $500.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    93
    Have you installed the head set and bottom bracket yet?
    Let us know if they fit correctly.
    How long did you wait for delivery?

    I intend to order a frame in about 3 weeks. I am looking at the China carbon bike thread as well.

  14. #14
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Have you installed the head set and bottom bracket yet?
    Let us know if they fit correctly.
    How long did you wait for delivery?

    I intend to order a frame in about 3 weeks. I am looking at the China carbon bike thread as well.
    Seat post and BB installed perfect fit. Will install a headset in a few weeks. The arrival of the frame took longer than stated, but since when does something arrive on time? It probably took 4 weeks longer, but I didn't have to wait 8 months for Dean (Ionic) like I did once before. That purchase was a mistake I hope I don't repeat. I make stuff but hand as well, and rarely get things out the door on time so it was not a problem for me. I was just getting some of my own medicine! I just needed it made properly. Quick delivery is a realistic option for stock items but not common for bespoke orders. The Chinese carbon was attractive to me too, but the geo's and features weren't quite what I wanted, so went custom.

    Chinese titanium frames direct-dsc_0096_zpsde8f695c.jpg

  15. #15
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by savoyjfas View Post
    my xcad has just arrived in the country
    Great - show us when you get it.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    for the
    post

    the ti looks best

    if it does not explode

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    Nice looking frame!
    The curved stays look real sweet!
    What chainstay length is that?

    Looks like they did some nice bending for the seat-tube also ...
    Looks awsome

  18. #18
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella Xu View Post
    Looks awsome
    Thanks guys...I can't keep from looking at it myself. It looks really nice in person...the photo doesn't do it justice. I do have a Ti fetish though! It's killing me not being able to just do the whole build at once.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,704
    That is a really nice looking frame, and that's coming from another person with a Ti fetish! One question: Did you consider a Carver Ti 420? Looks like the geometry and features are very similar. Also probably made in the same factory! I'm assuming you had some very specific requirements, thus the custom route. Also probably ended up cheaper than the 420.

    Good luck with the build, and post more info as the build progresses.

  20. #20
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    That is a really nice looking frame, and that's coming from another person with a Ti fetish! One question: Did you consider a Carver Ti 420? Looks like the geometry and features are very similar. Also probably made in the same factory! I'm assuming you had some very specific requirements, thus the custom route. Also probably ended up cheaper than the 420.

    Good luck with the build, and post more info as the build progresses.
    Thanks for that....yeah there are a few nice frames around...the Rajin was another but I was after simpler lines, and a dedicated rigid, to my specs. Yes the thing was that all those other bikes cost a fair bit more and didn't have the appeal nor fun factor of designing it myself. If I wasn't so fussy all those bikes, including the custom Quiring I already have would worked really well! Part of the specs were a longer HT and short AC fork, as well as just some personal preference stuff, like ST length, HT angle etc. It's a fairly conservative short stay 29er with not too slack a head angle. Wheel base reasonably short, but front centre a safe length for me. Oh and while I was at it I got a 135mm postmount tapered fork.
    Last edited by finch2; 05-10-2013 at 06:01 PM.

  21. #21
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    Headset and fork in now. Fitted perfectly. I was unsure the crown race was going to fit as it was tight, but within specification. Cane Creek got back to me quickly and said it was fine...just use a bigger hammer ha ha. I made up a tool from some steel pipe and sash clamps and it worked a charm.

    Chinese titanium frames direct-headsetfitted_109_zps22f2f462.jpg

  22. #22
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    Just the wheels to go...
    Chinese titanium frames direct-framehang_114_zps6537f41b.jpg

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ottoreni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    Headset and fork in now. Fitted perfectly. I was unsure the crown race was going to fit as it was tight, but within specification. Cane Creek got back to me quickly and said it was fine...just use a bigger hammer ha ha. I made up a tool from some steel pipe and sash clamps and it worked a charm.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headsetfitted_109_zps22f2f462.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	801536
    What type of headset does that headtube take?
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

  24. #24
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    What type of headset does that headtube take?
    Cane Creek ZS3 which I have not seen anywhere so I assume it is an OEM set. It's ZS, semi integrated tapered. Internal head tube diameter 44-56 from memory (don't quote me). There is a tiny bit of the lip on the cups sitting proud, I guess because of the thinner wall thickness compared to Al. Looks good though.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spoook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    93
    The head tube looks pregnate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chinese Titanium...
    By mattsavage in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 08:21 PM
  2. Chinese Titanium 29ers
    By stricklander in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 08:24 AM
  3. My Chinese Titanium 29er
    By Lenny7 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 01:03 PM
  4. Chinese carbon: why I buy direct
    By dwt in forum The ReCycle Bin
    Replies: 244
    Last Post: 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM
  5. Cheap chinese titanium skewers
    By StolltheMusic in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 08:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •