mtbr member

chinese carbon or ebay complete bike

friend of mine has a max budget of 3k, he wants a FS 29er. I'm thinking either a chinese carbon frame or a used complete carbon bike on ebay. I have a chinese HT, but I'm unsure of the FS version.

what do you guys think?

the air is thin up here..
    Support your local bike store!
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon commuter
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

Dropshot Champ!
    I'd be unsure of those FS carbon chinese bikes too, and I have a couple chinese carbon ht's. You have to source the rear shock and most of the hardware.

Supporting the local bikeshop is fine for some, but the market for used bikes right now is pretty insane. I say buy a used complete bike on ebay/cl/mtbr/pinkbike. You can save a few thousand from new, and most companies still offer crash replacement pricing on used/2ndowner bikes, or even stand by the warranty these days.

ready to ride
    $3000 and you are limiting your choice to those two?

Get something new and complete. Now if you, I mean your friend wanted something custom and specific then then that might be a different story. Though you asking for your friend tells me he doesn't know what he wants and doesn't have that much experience Do yourself and your friend a favor and don't spend $3000 piecing something together.

Buying a crappy $3000 carbon bike isn't going to be more fun that an sweet $3000 Al bike. Not saying your bike is crappy, just saying at the $3000 price point getting a nice FS carbon is a reach.

You say he wants a FS 29er. There are plenty of FS 29er in that price range.While you may be cool with tinkering and building a bike, if your friend is new to this I'm willing to bet he will appreciate a quality new FS 29er in that price range more. That and I think you will get more bang for your buck buying complete as opposed to building custom even if the frame is a cheap Chinese carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I'd be unsure of those FS carbon chinese bikes too, and I have a couple chinese carbon ht's. You have to source the rear shock and most of the hardware.

Supporting the local bikeshop is fine for some, but the market for used bikes right now is pretty insane. I say buy a used complete bike on ebay/cl/mtbr/pinkbike. You can save a few thousand from new, and most companies still offer crash replacement pricing on used/2ndowner bikes, or even stand by the warranty these days.
    who stands by the warranty for second owners?

Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post

Get something new and complete. Now if you, I mean your friend wanted something custom and specific then then that might be a different story. Though you asking for your friend tells me he doesn't know what he wants and doesn't have that much experience Do yourself and your friend a favor and don't spend $3000 piecing something together.

Buying a crappy $3000 carbon bike isn't going to be more fun that an sweet $3000 Al bike. Not saying your bike is crappy, just saying at the $3000 price point getting a nice FS carbon is a reach.

You say he wants a FS 29er. There are plenty of FS 29er in that price range.While you may be cool with tinkering and building a bike, if your friend is new to this I'm willing to bet he will appreciate a quality new FS 29er in that price range more. That and I think you will get more bang for your buck buying complete as opposed to building custom even if the frame is a cheap Chinese carbon.
    a new alloy 3k bike would be near 30lbs. how is that better than hunting out a used carbon? I can give you a list of used carbon bikes in the 24-25 lb range that sold for under 3k, why would these be crappy bikes?

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post

I have to agree. Tis the season for closeouts. $3K will buy you a very nice CF bike is shop. Good luck
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I have to agree. Tis the season for closeouts. $3K will buy you a very nice CF bike is shop. Good luck
    a HT, not a FS.

mtbr member
    Airborne has a FS 29er about to be here. Called the hobgoblin. You can check it out on there company forum on here. I'm salivating for one!

WTB 29 allmountain wheels
    Nov 2012
    Seems he'd be better off to get a reliable aluminum bike, ride it more and lose the 5lb weight difference.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    who stands by the warranty for second owners?

a new alloy 3k bike would be near 30lbs. how is that better than hunting out a used carbon? I can give you a list of used carbon bikes in the 24-25 lb range that sold for under 3k, why would these be crappy bikes?
    Who stands by the warranty for second owners. Technically none that I no of but i have heard that some such as Santa Cruz will give you the crash replacement price as the 2nd owner. I could be wrong though.

Sorry I should have never used the word crappy. That said why so obsessed about weight? Is your friend going to be racing? You say your friend wants a FS 29er and his budget is around $3000. I still say, especially if he is new to this, he will probably enjoy a new FS AL bike more than a used carbon. Why, because it is new, everything is in tune, hopefully he will have had a chance to actually ride it before buying it, and hopefully he can get properly fitted for it too.

Now if he were expereinced and knew exactly what he wanted then that would be a different story, and we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place. Obviouslly just my opinion. FWIW I am considering one of those "crappy" carbon frames as a back up to my FS bike. Though I may do a 180 and get a heavy 26 FS All mountain beast. Perfect world one of each.