Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Chinese carbon 29er frames?

Is there a reason why fleabay is full of cheap 26er no-name frames from the Far East, along with road bikes, but there doesn't seem to be any availability of 29ers? How tough would it be to produce? Anyone want to start a new company?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    search the archivesfor the past week or so... at least one company is coming with a size 17 for now. They were only planning up to a size 19 so I stopped caring.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Supposedly size 17.5 is available now.
    Size 16 and 19 are coming out in a couple months but dont expect to get your hands on one till the beginning of the year. (I had been corresponding over email with an very very Asian dude named Loice)

http://www.gotobike.com.cn/

I would be interested in importing and selling on Ebay if i could find a good deal on em. These seem to be 600 USD a piece shipped from China.

I am getting super stoked thinking about these frames. Hopefully they hold up as well as the 26er model.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    goodness that gotobike 29er looks good, see also AXMAN

mtbr member
    did anyone order the 17.5 and ride it at least round the block?

mtbr member
    Ok, next question. Why roll it out in limited sizes? Any word on time frames for bigger ones? Thanks.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Throw some Specialized decals on there and you're good to go...

transmitter~receiver
    **deleted**
    for being a pretty stupid, off-topic comment
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 09-02-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    the same reason it's full of all kinds of other cheap, no-name stuff from china?
    if the frame delivery & support is like the wheels that come out of there... good luck!
    you get what you pay for, and it doesn't appear to be much.
    Are you "doing some science" here, meltingfeather?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj
    Are you "doing some science" here, meltingfeather?
    nope, just offering an opinion. last i checked, that was ok. do you have anything to add or still just sniping?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    nope, just offering an opinion. last i checked, that was ok. do you have anything to add or still just sniping?
    Is your opinion based on any experience or is it like your opinion on Edge rims?

transmitter~receiver
    Is your opinion based on any experience or is it like your opinion on Edge rims?
    same old story, eh?
    we've been through this, and you're not going to get me into one of your signature, off-topic, back-and-forth battles where you try and enforce some sort of morality on the internet with sophisiticaed syntax and nowhere to go.
    if you're going to freak out again i'll put you back on my ignore list.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    same old story, eh?
    we've been through this, and you're not going to get me into one of your signature, off-topic, back-and-forth battles where you try and enforce some sort of morality on the internet with sophisiticaed syntax and nowhere to go.
    if you're going to freak out again i'll put you back on my ignore list.
    If you had experience you would have said so. Calling you out on your ignorant BS IS contributing to the thread. I guess sometimes it is about the hype, right?

BTW, I have purchased 5 chinese frames over time, 3 through Pedal Force and 2 direct, and have had no problems of any kind. No reason to fear these products even with their unconventional distribution.

Its got what plants crave
    I personally was pretty impressed by the quality (and durability) of the 26er version of the Ebay carbon hardtail. A friend who rides equally as hard as I do but weighs more had good luck with his for several seasons. I think he built something else up due to a knee injury or otherwise he'd still be riding it. It was light and looked to be pretty good quality. Many people are also riding the road version with great success. Since I never buy complete bikes anymore, these are a lucrative option for me. Anyway, when they come out, and come down to about the price point that the 26 inch version are at, I'll probably buy one as my "fast" bike.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

transmitter~receiver
    If you had experience you would have said so. Calling you out on your ignorant BS IS contributing to the thread. I guess sometimes it is about the hype, right?
    It doesn't take too discerning an intellect to see that my quick opinion is based on an experience with carbon wheels.
    An off-the-cuff assessment doesn't need any basis and an opinion can't really be "BS" unless I don't believe it myself. Of course that doesn't matter if what you want to do is jump into an off-topic tirade. You can not dispute or call BS on what something "appears to be" to me or how I value it. I know, it feels kind of silly to point out something so basic, but it puts your whole "contribution" in context.
    BTW, I have purchased 5 chinese frames over time, 3 through Pedal Force and 2 direct, and have had no problems of any kind. No reason to fear these products even with their unconventional distribution.
    Now if this had been all you had posted in this thread, how much more valuable would your contribution have been?
    If I say I don't like vanilla ice cream, would you "call BS" on that for the benefit of the world?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You can not dispute or call BS on what something "appears to be" to me or how I value it.
    Sure I can, after all you can judge the merits of Edge rims based on a ride around a parking lot on a borrowed bike. Remember?

Besides, it's not the content of your opinion, it's the lack of experience. Not all opinions are of equal merit just because everyone feels entitled to have one. For someone who prides himself on facts over hype, one would think you would be more careful. At least the sig is gone now.
    Now if this had been all you had posted in this thread, how much more valuable would your contribution have been?
    No more valuable. My experience is simply an anecdote, but anyone with an open mind will see it is a common one. I have no point of view to push here and have no desire for my "contribution" to be "more valuable" than anyone else's, except yours.

transmitter~receiver
    laughable. it's easy to see what you're after, and it doesn't merit a response.
    all the best.

mtbr member
    laughable. it's easy to see what you're after, and it doesn't merit a response.
    all the best.
    The only thing laughable here is your opinion which is not based on experience or anything legit for that matter...just give it a rest and go away.

In a year or two they'll be quite a few of these carbon frames floating around ebay. demand eventually creates supply.

TR
    Angry bunny
    There are 2 big threads on generic Chinese frames over on RBR. Both have large numbers of satisfied riders posting within.
    There are also 2 seperate threads about generic Chinese wheels. Again many happy customers.
    I have a Chinese frame myself. It is a Santa Cruz Tallboy.
    Blanket negativity about Chinese manufactured frames and wheels is simply ignorant.

mtbr member
    +1..

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Blanket negativity about Chinese manufactured frames and wheels is simply ignorant.
    I'd agree. I just had a bad experience with a wheelset and said if delivery and support is similar, good luck. I don't see how given the qualification, it's "blanket negativity," but I guess it doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just had a bad experience with a wheelset and said if delivery and support is similar, good luck. I don't see how given the qualification, it's "blanket negativity," but I guess it doesn't matter.
    Interesting how eager you were to make that point considering the original post.

"you get what you pay for, and it doesn't appear to be much." - meltingfeather's free advice

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just want a link to one of these frames I can purchase now (or soon)!!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    I just want a link to one of these frames I can purchase now (or soon)!!
    http://www.gotobike.com.cn/main.asp

mtbr member
    I recently got this frame. It weighed in at 2.64lbs and it looks as good if not better than the Superfly I had. I'm not in anyway saying it is better, I'm just saying it has a beefier downtube and headtube. I haven't built it up and I'm not sure I'm going to. I have frames coming out of my ears right now, so if anyone wants it for what I paid I'd probably let it go. I'll try to post pictures of it in a bit.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast