Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    81

    Chinese carbon 29er frame reliable?

    First off I will say that I am fully aware that there is a 150 page thread about the Chinese carbon frames in this forum. However I have looked at several of those pages and could not find the answer to my question.

    So, I want to know how many people have been riding their Chinese no brand carbon frame without any problems?

    I currently have an Air 9 but I want to have a back up frame just in case anything goes wrong with it.

    Ebay has very good prices on these frames. $370 shipped and I am seriously considering picking one up.

    Just how high quality are these frames? Do they compare to a carbon frame from a respectable company like Niner, Specialized, Cannondale? Or should I be expecting it to break at any moment while riding? I do ride pretty rocky technical trails sometimes with a few small drops.

  2. #2
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,844
    They are all crap, which is why there is a 150 page thread with no negative feedback that I can find.
    It is also why there is approximately 2000 pages of discussion on Chinese road frames over on RBR (again with minimal negative feedback).

    If you have not been able to find negative feedback to support it, why do you think that they will suddenly and spontaneously break?

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    If you have not been able to find negative feedback to support it, why do you think that they will suddenly and spontaneously break?
    Because they're a no name brand. How exactly can I trust them? i don't know what kind of techniques they use in their carbon making process.

    I'm guessing you carefully read every page in that thread correct? If you're going to come at me with that attitude please don't post.

  4. #4
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,844
    I have just about read the entire thread.
    I have also been involved in the RBR thread for a couple of years and have also read just about all of those threads (6 in total I believe).
    As I said I have read very little negative feedback.
    In fact I dont think I have read any negative feedback in the MTBR thread and the majority of negative feedback I have read in the RBR thread came back to user error from numpties who really have no business trying to assemble a bike.
    I believe that I have read of a couple of breakages in the MTBR thread, but these were dealt with quickly by the seller.

  5. #5
    The Dog.
    Reputation: Dogdude222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    756
    Check out the video followup review that I made. I think it will answer many of your questions.

    LTK023 followup review

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2

    chines frame

    Don't be afraid to buy one of these frames. I have ridden this frame for more than a year without any complaints. I have abused the bike mercilessly. I have ridden the bike about 50mi. a week. Ice, snow, mud, rocks. It has performed quite well. Considering the price you cannot go wrong.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycling Cyco View Post
    Because they're a no name brand. How exactly can I trust them? i don't know what kind of techniques they use in their carbon making process.

    I'm guessing you carefully read every page in that thread correct? If you're going to come at me with that attitude please don't post.
    how do you know what kind of techniques the name brands use in their process???

    these vendors are a business. it's in their best interest to make a decent product. yes its possible they could be scammers but you can only get over on a scam for so long. fact is if your buying a name brand bicycle you are paying for a lot of ceo salary, marketing people salaray, team sponsorships, etc. so much overhead in the business. HAve you ever bought other products straight from a factory? there was a mattress factory in my hometown, you could buy a mattress directly from them and pay 1/4 of what you would pay if you bought the same mattress after some other company ordered them and put their name and logo on them.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ljracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycling Cyco View Post
    First off I will say that I am fully aware that there is a 150 page thread about the Chinese carbon frames in this forum. However I have looked at several of those pages and could not find the answer to my question.

    So, I want to know how many people have been riding their Chinese no brand carbon frame without any problems?

    I currently have an Air 9 but I want to have a back up frame just in case anything goes wrong with it.

    Ebay has very good prices on these frames. $370 shipped and I am seriously considering picking one up.

    Just how high quality are these frames? Do they compare to a carbon frame from a respectable company like Niner, Specialized, Cannondale? Or should I be expecting it to break at any moment while riding? I do ride pretty rocky technical trails sometimes with a few small drops.

    Look at it this way. If you break your frame, you just replace it with another. You can buy 5 or 6 frames for the cost of a name brand frame. Break one and pop another out of the six pack and keep riding! It's your own warranty system.

    I have the LTK. I broke my seat stay after a year. I was still able to ride home on it even after a clean break through the seat stay. I bought the $350 flyxii to replace it. I then spent $20 on a carbon fiber repair kit and fixed my original frame. Carbon breaks. Even name brand frames fail. Just search on this site for examples.

  9. #9
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,325
    You could spend a little more and get one of these: Sette Razzo SC 29er Carbon Hardtail Frame - Gloss Black w/ Tungsten Silver at Price Point with a five year warranty. The Sette forum seems to like them a lot.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  10. #10
    Flow like water
    Reputation: DavyRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    712
    I have been reading that thread as well. The frame I see most comments about is by a company with their very own name, and their very own customer support. They have also responded to warranty issues. That is not no-name product. That company has a brand.

    Dude, it's the Internet. After hundreds of posts, over years, people would be trash-talking the frames and their makers if they were failing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •