Page 9 of 325 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 109 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz
    Ok does any body have one? Are you man enough to tell us it was a mistake? Or that you just wasted 500 bucks....or are you are going to keep it secret...or you just saved 1200 bucks over a niner frame.....or.....or....Tell them to make one like the Tallboy...I will buy one for sure....
    I have one and I enjoy it. I will post a review shortly.

bike rider
    Hell my Air 9 Carbon was made in China so I say go for it and save yourself a couple bucks. I've seen a couple in person and ridden with guys that have them and they're NICE! By the way, they're lighter than the A9C too!
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pretty good story in the Durango Herald today about Chinese bike manufacturing.

http://www.durangoherald.com/article...2269920/Spokes

Relevant enough to this thread....

mtbr member
    The fun lasted for about 34 miles...

C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That didn't take long.....hmmmm.
    But...how was it for those 34 miles?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar

did you ever get it warrantied?
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

Terminal Pholocity

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    site says 700 british pounds. ?
    Target price for the Lurcher is 500, about $700 in the US without the VAT.

The Carbon 29er Race is 800 with a pre-order special at 700
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma
    That is for the carbon race frame and includes VAT.

Target price for the Lurcher is 500 GBP (including VAT I assume)

The Lurcher is 200gr heavier and has sliding dropouts for geared or SS use.
    The Lurcher uses Swapouts, our replaceable dropouts. They are not sliders. You can choose between vertical dropouts and horizontal/track tip ones. Each has an integrated disc mount.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by bsieb
    and tires.
    Specialized does not own any tire factories. Their tires are made by contract manufacturers, just as are WTB, Bontrager, Ritchey, Notubes, Intense, and even some models of tires from companies that does have their own factories.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Whoa that sucks I am going to Check mine again.
    Last edited by mellowme17; 12-27-2010 at 03:50 AM.

mtbr member
    something to consider about the warranty.

1) It was suggested that I continue riding it until it gets worse. There is no telling when it will fail, but it's cracked carbon on the driveside chainstay. It WILL fail.
    2) They said I could cover it with a black oil- WTF?
    3) After several conversation, they said I could send it back for inspection. Ok fair enough, but it will cost me $200+ to ship it back and there is no guarantee that they will replace it. The pictures alone are not enough for them to replace. If they don't see a need to replace then I will be forced to pay freight back. Judging by their initial response, I would not trust any repair they would do and do I really want to ride another one of their frames? Do I really want to spend half the value of the frame to replace it? Money is really not the issue for me, I just could have put the $600 towards a better frame with more support in the first place. Lesson learned, but I knew that going in so I'm really not bitter at the situation.
    4) Let's say it rode as good as ANY carbon frame, why bother if it doesn't last. Maybe I got a bad apple so I wish the best of luck to anyone else that has one. I'll say this, I REALLY don't like the rear drop out in carbon. Clamping directly to carbon is never good idea.
    5) IMO- Anyone daring enough to ride their carbon fork better have good dental coverage. I would only get a REAL Niner fork.

just my .02
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Shiggy what does the Lurcher weigh at?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Shiggy what does the Lurcher weigh at?
    Claimed 1300gm Twenty Nine Inches did a write up on this and the carbon race 29"er here: http://twentynineinches.com/2010/11/...-carbon-29ers/

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    something to consider about the warranty.

1) It was suggested that I continue riding it until it gets worse. There is no telling when it will fail, but it's cracked carbon on the driveside chainstay. It WILL fail.
    2) They said I could cover it with a black oil- WTF?
    It's not clear in the pic you provide if there's a scratch or a crack and it sounds like they feel the same way. Perhaps if there's a better angle that shows a crack you might get a better result. Carbon gets surface scratches easily.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Doesn't look like a typical carbon crack especially as it is not in the direction of fiber lay up. Looks more like a scratch of the resin or clear coat? Typically in that area most of the load goes through the inner chain stay area.

Waiting for Godot
    just going by the what the pic looks like i would have to agree that it "looks" like a top coat crack. there might be more top coat at the ends of a leg or area because it tends to stack up in there while drying.

the top coat is more of a sealant than structural strength. it is a very thin layer and done after the layup has been done. think of it as a clear coat for paint. maybe thats why the factory suggested more riding to see if it would crack more or deeper.
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Taking a look at where we are headed trying to get an reasonably priced carbon 29er hardtail in the USA, I would have to say the the soon to be announced performance Acess Carbon 29er is a good option.
    Most of the bikes mentioned above you have to ship back to the UK or China, or deal with a dealer to have warranty issues addressed and most would be reluctant to give your money back to you after a fair amount of time..
    With the Access you simply take it back to a Performance store and get your money back if you don't like the way the product performed (including carbon failure issues), for the life of the product. (Perf satisfaction guarantee)

Even better than Spec, Trek, etc.....cause....allot more reasonably priced considering the economy and our hard earned dollars. (something the bike market has not really understood in these tough times.)

just 1 sense worth.
    Ps, doesn't look like a crack to me, but it could be. Did you try to flex test say like by (removing wheel of course) pulling the dropouts together and see if you get any separation there. (if you see where i'm going)
    Maybe email the photos to Calfee carbon repair service and have them take a look.
    Last edited by ghawk; 01-02-2011 at 04:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Is it possible that it is just a clear coat or trhe finish that is cracked? This happens often in carbon applications (in other than bicycle frames too) and does not always effect the stability or integrity of the carbon itself.

I think that is one of the difficult things about carbon is detecting what is structural and what is not... BTW, I'm on 3 carbon bikes these days, 2 MTB, one road...
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Make sure to put something on it to seal it. I had some scratches on my carbon fiber road bike from snapping a chain and my dealer said that raw carbon exposed to air will weaken.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BiknBob
    Make sure to put something on it to seal it. I had some scratches on my carbon fiber road bike from snapping a chain and my dealer said that raw carbon exposed to air will weaken.
    And you have been lied to.
    But...water, dirt and chemicals could be a long term problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiknBob
    Not true. Scratches are not a big deal at all unless they go through to the raw carbon. That's what the clearcoat is there for. Most scratches like that are purely cosmetic.

However, if you have a big chunk of the clearcoat missing, then if something else hits the same place it'll do a lot more damage to the raw carbon, so it just makes sense to patch those up when you can, and use that clear 3m 'helicopter tape' to protect the areas that will get dinged a lot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Actually, now that I think about it, he said UV from sunlight hitting the raw carbon was bad. I had deep gouges all the way through the clearcoat. I found some graphite paint that matched pretty well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    you all might like this...
    Some Swiss company is selling what looks like the same bikes

http://www.zaboobikes.com/beta/terra29_frame.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Interesting business model - they tack on $200 for an unbranded frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Precab
    My GOTO China 29er arrived this week. Looks in perfect order as I too have ridden a 26" carbon from China without issues. I could buy 3 from China for the savings. Dam holiday travel this week will postpone my build. Was $550 to the door delivered.

any updates on your build?
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

Terminal Pholocity

Page 9 of 325 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 109 ... LastLast