Page 7 of 94 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistrada View Post
    I would also like to affirm DaChosenOne and others who have commented regarding Jenny and her responsiveness. I have received replies to all of my inquiries within 24 hours and more typically within 8 hours.
    I agree Jenny is great to deal with. She's quick at replying to my emails and her English is very good. I'm leaning more towards the LT-Bikes LTK023 though since it comes with internal cable routing.

mtbr member
    Anyone had any experience with the internal brake cable routing on an MTB854? I have a XO hydraulic brake I'd like to bleed and then route through, but the holes on my frame look a little tight.
    Any experience or advice would be most appreciated!

Update: I received an email from the manufacturer noting that the MTB854 frame DOES have "liners" for the internal cable routing and the brake holes and lining is wide enough fro a hydraulic brake line. Going to attempt it this weekend.
    Last edited by whizzkidd; 06-03-2011 at 06:40 AM. Reason: update

vni
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Where can I buy a MTB854 frame and for which price?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Intense01 View Post
    I ordered a matte carbon 12k finish frame from Jenny at Hong Fu on May 13th. She keeps delaying the ship date. Anyone else ever experience this with them? She said I would have it by the end of May and now she says it won't ship until the 6th. IT isn't a huge deal but I don't want my Paypal refund window to close if I don't get what I ordered.

Anyone who has ordered from Jenny please chime in. Thank you.
    +1
    Same problem.
    Will say she is probably the most responsive bike manufacturer sales rep I have ever dealt with and dealt with quite a few. (That means allot she's really trying I think but is nature of business and the rhetoric. You don't really expect them to tell you the truth ??

just a for instance : "Yes you will have soon we try very hard to get to you first" ... translation "we are so backed up you will be lucky to see it by chinese new year....oh yea we will be off that entire week: gotta go ling wu dropped his I-phone in the the mold again and we have to call his phone and listen to all the frames to see where it is" )

Just always pay with Amex thru paypal and you will never lose any money. If you get tired of waiting and want to quickly order somewhere else without worry of the $ returning from first order.
    Last edited by ghawk; 06-03-2011 at 06:28 AM.

bike tester
    My gotobike build is finally done... unfortunately the weather did not allow me to do a proper test drive, only a parking lot ride.

It's sitting at 9.9kg with these heavyish 36h rims... not bad at all.

mtbr member
    Looks great! I can't wait to get mine in. Yours makes me kinda wish I got the 3k instead of the 12k. Let us know how she rides.

Short-Change-Hero
    You will have to do a proper review of those Barro Race tires!

bicycle rider
    Looks good. If you route that front brake hose on the inside of your left fork leg, you'll be less likely to rip it off when a branch catches it.

What size is that? Please get it dirty and tell us about the ride.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    My gotobike build is finally done... unfortunately the weather did not allow me to do a proper test drive, only a parking lot ride.

Love the blue Formula brakes!!!

Great build, lotsa happy dirty miles with it!!!

mtbr member
    Great build... quick what is that in lbs?

@#$%^&* = 21.875

NICE!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by XCARTELX View Post
    So, when all of you stop buying these "boutique" bicycles from "Hippy Bike Manufacturers", who do you think is going to be engineering innovation with new bikes when you help put them out of business?

You people are short sighted.
    Just stumbled across this lil gem....so who do you think developed carbon fiber technology in the first place? I'll assure you it was not a boutique bike manufacturer.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Check out page 92 of Mountain Flyer Magazine. Look familiar? Or go to www.jackalcycling.com if you can't find the mag.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks for taking the time for all the wonderful photos and info on your build.

Ah fun cardio toys.

Check out page 92 of Mountain Flyer Magazine. Look familiar? Or go to www.jackalcycling.com if you can't find the mag.
    That's where they are going.
    also here:
    http://www.giantnerd.com/bamf-s h i t-kicker-29er-mountain-bike.html
    Last edited by ghawk; 06-05-2011 at 03:24 AM.

LCW
    mtbr member

Lookin' real good! Nice build!

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    EVIL Following

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    Rear tire clearance enough for a Nevegal 2.2?

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    Do you think you can you get a 2.2 Nevegal on the back?

bike tester
    On the gotobike 753 i don't think so... i have a nevegal 2.2 around and i'll try it later, but my rear rim is pretty wide, it might not fit because of that.

Anyway, today i finally got some saddle time, some people were interrested in the Barro tyres, they are fast on hardpack and decent on chunky loose stuff or thin layers of pine needles, but on sand, leaves or in the wet they no longer offer much traction. As long as things stay dry they are pretty impressive for 450gr tyres that look like slicks. There's a steep climb right in my back yard, small and medium sized gravel thrown on top of hardpack. On my 26" Giant XTC Advanced i was struggling with 2.1 Larsen TT and Rocket Ron, i had to go to the 2.25 Nobby Nic to clear it to the top. With the Barro i had no problems from the first attempt.

As for the frame, it rides exactly like i expected it to from what previous reviewers described. It is incredibly comfortable and i could feel the heavy wheelset holding me back, it just wants to go crazy fast. The steering is middle of the road stuff, not slow but nothing special either. It really likes to be leaned if you got the side knobs for the job. It climbs pretty well, but on the descents is where it really shines, on all my other bikes i had some sections of this trail where i needed to get off the saddle and shift my weight back, but it wasn't the case today.

I will have to tweak my position before i can really take things to the edge and give a final verdict, i think i had the front end too high and my weight a little back, i need a seatpost with no setback and less spacers under the stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Intense01 - fyi - Jenny confirmed shipment tomorrow 6/6 for my 12k Matte - have you heard liekwise for yours?

Lets keep in touch on our builds and compare notes as we go

I'm curious about your or anyones thoughts on Crankset selection for this frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistrada View Post
    Intense01 - fyi - Jenny confirmed shipment tomorrow 6/6 for my 12k Matte - have you heard liekwise for yours?

Lets keep in touch on our builds and compare notes as we go

I'm curious about your or anyones thoughts on Crankset selection for this frame
    I emailed her last week and she said the 6th so hopefully it goes out soon. I was thinking of doing an XX or Xo build kit on the bike. Not sure what Q factor it needs. As soon as it comes in I will update with pics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm looking into a chinese frame but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was one that can do SS or geared? This will be my main bike and race bike for the time being but I get the notion that I'll want to test the SS waters in the future and it would be nice to have a frame that can do that.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    - Dr Seuss

mtbr member
    order one with bb30 and pick yourself up a beer bb30 eccentric bb
    Josh

ballbuster

Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by emp? View Post
    order one with bb30 and pick yourself up a beer bb30 eccentric bb
    That setup looks pretty sweet. I might let somebody else beta test that one. I'll probably end up going that route myself. Swiss Army Knife go-fast light bike!!

mtbr member
    If I want to use gxp crankset with a bb30 bottom bracket, which adapter do I need? how do I install the adapter?

mtbr member
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-bb30-to-bsa-adapter-kit/
    something like that will do the trick
    Josh

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    has anyone actually been able to get a 29er with the bb30 bottom bracket? so far the only responses I have had are for the englishBB. Emailed gotobikes, hongfu and dengfu. Also emailed ltbikes but havent got a response yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The MTB854 has a BB30 bottom bracket, tapered headset (IS, not ZS) and post mount rear brake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I recieved my LTK023 yesterday. A friend and I ordered one each. He got the BB30 version and I got the GXP version. Both UD, but mine with clear coat, and his with raw finish.

The weight was 1348 gr. A bit over the claimed 1200 gr, but ok its pretty cheap anyway

The finish looks nice overall. Im curious to see how the fitting will be with the brakehoses, it seems a bit tight. When trying to fit the gearcable through, it seemed like only to be the innercable that goes through the inside. I perhaps thought it would be the whole cable.

I am building it with the following:

Lefty XLR
    Crest rims on 240 hubs
    XX/X0 gear
    Marta SL brakes

Hope to be in the 9.5 kg range complete...

View pictures of the frame here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Rabbiti...eat=directlink

Cheers

mtbr member
    nice going to be a cool build, raw ud looks pimp
    Josh

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    A quick question. I want to install my Magura Marta SL (red ones, 2009/2010).

Do I need spare parts to refit the caliber, once I have removed it to fit the brakehose through the frame?

Thanks

mtbr member
    you will need the compression olives to put back on once you cut the cable
    Josh

mtbr member
    Josh

mtbr member
    yeah its those little things that catch you out, its handy to work in a shop sometimes, i just found some in a draw that got me out of trouble... you shouldnt have any drama getting the hose in, went in easy as on mine
    Josh

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the info... Crap, I thought I had it all.

Well now I need to find those too... Bah

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Since you work in a shop, do you know if its possible to use other olives?

My LBS doesnt have any Magura spare parts

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitized View Post
    Since you work in a shop, do you know if its possible to use other olives?

My LBS doesnt have any Magura spare parts
    It's really hard to tell from the blurry pic of that magura tech doc but they look the same as the sram ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Problem solved, found the olives some where else Thanks anyway

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just discovered beer components shortly after posting. I think that is the way to go for single speed. I'm getting stoked.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    - Dr Seuss

mtbr member
    I dont know much about BB's. I have a Truvativ gxp stylo crankset I would like to use. Should I go with BSA BB or get BB30 and go with an adapter?

mtbr member
    im waiting for my beer bb to come, fingers crossed this week, ill post up some photos and a small review for the guys looking into this option...
    I think i used hayes olives on my shimano brakes no leaks so far
    Josh

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kibsen View Post
    Anyone made business with Lianyungang Yingyan New Material Co.,Ltd ?
    They have a bb92 29er frame with dimensions similar to many highend frames

http://yybike.en.alibaba.com/product...mtb_frame.html
    If it was me I'd stick with one of the well known vendors. Also don't like how they only have a rendering and not a pic of an actual frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

yybike

Anyone made business with Lianyungang Yingyan New Material Co.,Ltd ?
    They have a bb92 29er frame with dimensions similar to many highend frames

http://yybike.en.alibaba.com/product...mtb_frame.html

mtbr member
    I was looking at those but the 5 frame minimum kills it for most people
    though im sure you could talk them into a "sample"
    Josh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist View Post
    I'm willing to bet more people in China are living the dream and moving from lower to middle class than in the US.
    Nope! The rich are still getting richer and the poor...well they are doing better then us since they aren't getting poorer...just staying poor.

mtbr member
    I'm about to pull the trigger soon with Denfu or LT, depending which one gives the better price.

I'll be ordering one with internal routing and it'd be my first frame with internal routing. How difficult is it to fish the hydraulic line or shifter cable thru? Any tips?

Also, I have a Reba with a straight 1 1/8 steer tube and have already purchased the Niner reducer. Does anyone know if this will cause any problems down the line?

Anyone who's in the So Cal area who wants to do a group buy let me know. Dengfu is a few bucks cheaper than LT from the quotes I've received so far.

mtbr member
    The internal routing on the ltbike is fully enclosed the whole way, just push it through u cant go wrong
    Josh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emp? View Post
    The internal routing on the ltbike is fully enclosed the whole way, just push it through u cant go wrong
    hows the flat black finish in the LT bike? any blemishes or imperfections?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have a link further up in this page, showing pictures of the LT frame.

Im very happy with it, finish seems nice.

mtbr member
    Interesting to see that these frames are now popping up on ebay. The easy payment system there makes these kinda tempting...

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I'm a little confused by all the different options here.

Do the Hong Fu 29er frames come with internal cable routing? Also, do I need to specify a BB-30 or do they automatically come with it?

I've never built up a bike before but this sounds like a fun learning experience. Anyone have any good links for picking out components etc?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    hows the flat black finish in the LT bike? any blemishes or imperfections?
    My LTK023 has some optical blemishes, and the black is "blacker" around the junctions because of the additional resin. But somehow, I can't seem to see any of it, because it's covered in dirt through the amount of usage

I really couldn't care less about those things... but you just might...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helios Racing View Post
    I'm looking into a chinese frame but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was one that can do SS or geared? This will be my main bike and race bike for the time being but I get the notion that I'll want to test the SS waters in the future and it would be nice to have a frame that can do that.
    I have a MTB854, and I'm running single speed. All you need is either an eccentric Bottom Bracket like the one Team Beer makes, or if you're cheaper (like me) you can go with a tensioner like a Surly Singleator. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one View Post
    My LTK023 has some optical blemishes, and the black is "blacker" around the junctions because of the additional resin. But somehow, I can't seem to see any of it, because it's covered in dirt through the amount of usage

I really couldn't care less about those things... but you just might...
    Can you post some pics?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Did anybody manage to find out which supplier the On-One 29er carbon frame comes from?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    My LTK023 has some optical blemishes, and the black is "blacker" around the junctions because of the additional resin.
    On some of the frames they paint the joint areas black to hide the joints. They they get the gloss or matte clear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post

Do the Hong Fu 29er frames come with internal cable routing? Also, do I need to specify a BB-30 or do they automatically come with it?

I've never built up a bike before but this sounds like a fun learning experience. Anyone have any good links for picking out components etc?
    I'm in the same boat as you - looking forward to a new project. There are 29er build kits at Jensenusa.com and pricepoint. At the moment I am torn between one of those kits and buyimg a $1K BD bike and stripping for parts. The kits don't contain a fork which will add some expense going that route. vs the bd bike.
    Anyone with experience going down one of these routes like to chime in?

mtbr member

The Hong Fu bike currently does not come with internal cable routing or a BB30. Just a standard English threaded BB and external cable routing. I am still waiting for my frame to come in. As soon as it does I will post some pics of the build.

bike tester
    Quote Originally Posted by cz91rider View Post
    Did anybody manage to find out which supplier the On-One 29er carbon frame comes from?
    most likely axman

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    First it was Japan, then Korea, Vietnam and now China; embrace the savings!
    It all good in the Hood.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Does anyone know what size front mech the Gotobike MT854 takes (my frame is at the painters)?.

mtbr member
    The geometry on this frame has a decent HT angle. What does everyone think? Can someone please shed some light on the best fork travel for these frames? 80-100mm? I would assume 4 inch would be about right. I am thinking of moving my Racer X 29er parts to an HT carbon frame. I don't want it to steer like a truck though, so I am concerned about the HT angle and the amount of fork travel to run.

http://www.dhgate.com/29er-mtb-finis...179b56379.html
    Draft College Republicans

A waste of time it is is
    emp? I have noticed on whizkids frame that the rear brake hose routing actually comes out under the bb before going back into the chain stays, pic is here I believe his is a Goto Bike MT 854. The hose routing on yours doesn't appear to be exposed under the bottom bracket. Can you confirm if it is run fully internally or does get exposed?

Also, is this the same frame as yours?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    oops double post
    Last edited by ghawk; 06-14-2011 at 03:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    under bottom bracket cable routing for a mountain bike , actually probably won't do too much damage except ripping off that carbon cable guide pretty quick. That's still not as bad as the lower zerks on the SC tallboys and carbon Blurs.

mtbr member
    Frame just came in today. Really fast shipping from China. 1252 grams. Looks very, very nice for the price. I also got the handlebars and seatpost since they were pretty cheap. I am very impressed on how high the quality is. I will post some pics up soon.

mtbr member
    Frame just came in today. Really fast shipping from China. 1252 grams. Looks very, very nice for the price. I also got the handlebars and seatpost since they were pretty cheap. I am very impressed on how high the quality is. I will post some pics up soon.
    which frame did you get?

mtbr member
    Hong Fu- 12k matte black finish.

mtbr member
    Anyone know the weight difference between matte and gloss?

mtbr member
    Hong Fu- 12k matte black finish.
    Please post pics when you get it done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Please post pics when you get it done.
    Sure will. Still have to wait 4-6 weeks for wheels... I will post pics of the build up as soon as I get some parts in. This thing is going to be pretty nice when it is done.

A waste of time it is is
    Pics of the frame please Intense01. Start a build thread so we can all follow it and live vicariously through the lives of others If you just do it here it'll get lost in this ever growing thread.

Thanks

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Has anyone been able to confirm that the LTK023 and the MTB854 are the same frame?

I'm a little confused as to why GoToBike quoted me more than double what LTBikes is wanting to sell these for.

I'm thinking out getting one of these frames and buying a Motobecane or Gravity bike from bd and stripping it for parts. Seems like the cheapest route to go.

bike tester
    Has anyone been able to confirm that the LTK023 and the MTB854 are the same frame?

I'm a little confused as to why GoToBike quoted me more than double what LTBikes is wanting to sell these for.

I'm thinking out getting one of these frames and buying a Motobecane or Gravity bike from bd and stripping it for parts. Seems like the cheapest route to go.
    they are not the same. ltk has the same source as deng fu (very well seen on the road bike forum)

gotobike has a curved seat tube and down tube and is lighter by ~200gr (1280 vs 1080 for a med). slightly different geo and sizes too.

gotobike uses 45/45 fsa-campy headsets, ltk and deng fu use 36/45 cane creek standard.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I just got an email from gotobike, they don't have a new version of the MTB753 with internal routing

They will offer the same internal cable frame that everyone else has but apparently in different sizes, 17/19/21.

It is called MTB854 and it's not on their site yet but they have some in stock already with BB30.

for pricing you can email Cherry at gotobike06@vip.163.com

Here's the geometry from LT-Bike LTK023.

It is the same as gotobike MTB854 but in 16/18/20.

So it looks like if you want internal cable routing you're in luck, the frame sizes come in very small increments.

Don't you love the free market?

they are not the same. ltk has the same source as deng fu (very well seen on the road bike forum)

gotobike has a curved seat tube and down tube and is lighter by ~200gr (1280 vs 1080 for a med). slightly different geo and sizes too.

gotobike uses 45/45 fsa-campy headsets, ltk and deng fu use 36/45 cane creek standard.
    NEVERMIND...resolved below.
    I'm really confused...in your previous post you say that the MTB854 and LTK023 are the same (just different sizes available from each mfg).
    Last edited by MCS5280; 06-12-2011 at 03:28 PM.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    I think he said the geometry was the same. But one thing I noticed is the clearance for a big rear tire is quite different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Gotobike has metal inserts in the dropouts while the others do not.

mtbr member
    The hong fu frame also has metal in the dropout partially covered in carbon. It is there though.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Question...I am thinking of getting the LTK023 which has a headtube length of 120mm.

I was looking at purchasing a Gravity 29Point5 to be a parts bike (comes with most of the stuff I'd need, including a Reba RL 100mm fork), since it would be a lot cheaper than buying everything individually (total cost around $1100).

The headtube length on the Gravity is is 103mm on the 19" frame. Will the fork be cut too short for the LTK023? The largest size they have available is a 21" frame, which has an 118mm headtube length. This frame size would be too large for me, and I was hoping to keep the Gravity frame as a backup.

mtbr member
    Is there enough chainstay clearance on the LTK023 frame to run a BBG bashwich instead of the granny gear?

mtbr member
    Yep the cable routing on mine goes under the bottom bracket but inside the frame so its all internal
    and that ebay one looks the same as far as i can tell anyways
    Josh

A waste of time it is is
    Thanks emp?

One last question, metal dropouts under a carbon / paint layer or not?

mtbr member
    doesnt look like it but i have drilled it or anything
    Josh

A waste of time it is is
    If there are then you'll know soon after your first couple of rides. With skewers on the top coat tends to chip / crack / flake off after a few good rides and or taking the wheel on and off the bike.

That would be the only negative for me with this frame over any of the others. It looks so good though

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    This is what I wake up to every morning

My chinese 29er

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon 29er-bike-030.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitized View Post
    This is what I wake up to every morning

My chinese 29er

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
    Which Lefty did you go with, to satisfy the 490mm axle-to-crown specified in the geometry? Max140?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I didnt notice the specified A to C in the geometry.

But I went with the 90mm XLR, and it feels perfect. It feels more aggressive than I thought it would. But then again this is my first 29er. I thought 29er would be more dull in the stearing perhaps. But it isnt, and thats perfect for me, since I do a lot of racing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Any feed back on internal cable routing and mud? I've been wondering how well the internal routing holds up to getting mud and grime and such inside. Has anyone come across any issues?
    - Dr Seuss

Waiting for Godot
    Quote Originally Posted by Helios Racing View Post
    Any feed back on internal cable routing and mud? I've been wondering how well the internal routing holds up to getting mud and grime and such inside. Has anyone come across any issues?
    just cover the frame/cable areas with some clear caulking. easy to remove and very water/mud proof. worked great on my cross bike.
    Out riding, leave a message

A waste of time it is is
    I've been running nokon cables on my carbon viper for over 3 years without a problem. The inner lining goes all the way through and the cable is in that so I have a sealed system that water and mud don't seem to affect

mtbr member
    Is this the adapter I need to run 1 1/8 steerer on the LTK023 frame?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za....ID=8947&MODE=

mtbr member
    For everyone with a LTK023 and straight 1 1/8 fork, I would recommend getting a Cane Creek IS 52/30 bottom assembly to replace the default one... they aren't very expensive, well sealed, and should you ever upgrade to a tapered fork, you can always reuse the original bottom headset assembly, or get a different canecreek baseplate.

mtbr member
    For everyone with a LTK023 and straight 1 1/8 fork, I would recommend getting a Cane Creek IS 52/30 bottom assembly to replace the default one... they aren't very expensive, well sealed, and should you ever upgrade to a tapered fork, you can always reuse the original bottom headset assembly, or get a different canecreek baseplate.
    This one?

http://www.cycleclubsports.com/p-335...ess-black.aspx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    That's the one! Fairly priced too, considering its predecessor (S3) is widely accepted as the most bang-for-the-buck headset of all time.

A waste of time it is is
    given the title of this thread is simply Chinese Carbon 29er I'm going to ask away. How long do you think it'll be before we start to see no name carbon duallies start to appear?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah I got 4 at the $320 USD price figure I'd keep 2 and sell the other 2 making my 2 free practically. The exporter is very nice and living here in Miami, The port of Miami the stuff comes in by ship so shipping costs were half he said.

Looking forward to building myself a nice carbon bike with quality components. Heck that frame looks liek a copy of not exact. Thats what the Chinese do anyways.

mtbr member
    Ice Cold, who'd you buy from? That's a good price you got.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just ordered my 29er frame from Hongfu this morning 6/14. I'm looking forward to getting it and building it up from pieces I will take off another bike and some that I will acquire over time. My first major addition will most likely be a wheelset. I'm looking at the Stan's Arch right now.
    If anyone has another suggestion, I would greatly appreciate the input. I ride XC and weigh 200+. My trails tend to be smooth to rooty to rocky (I live in Alabama).

Can't believe how cheap this frame was. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Fatty On A Monocog
    Quote Originally Posted by twang55 View Post
    Just ordered my 29er frame from Hongfu this morning 6/14. I'm looking forward to getting it and building it up from pieces I will take off another bike and some that I will acquire over time. My first major addition will most likely be a wheelset. I'm looking at the Stan's Arch right now.
    If anyone has another suggestion, I would greatly appreciate the input. I ride XC and weigh 200+. My trails tend to be smooth to rooty to rocky (I live in Alabama).

Can't believe how cheap this frame was. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
    The HF-053 29er frame for $465?

(Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt 4G using Tapatalk app)
    Life's journey is not 2 arrive @ the grave safe but rather 2 skid in sideways totally worn out shouting "Holy S what a ride!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That's he one-$465 plus $70 for shipping for a total of $535.

I may have located a set of Stan's Arch wheelset for it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by FOAM View Post
    The HF-053 29er frame for $465?

(Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt 4G using Tapatalk app)

Fatty On A Monocog
    Quote Originally Posted by twang55 View Post
    That's he one-$465 plus $70 for shipping for a total of $535.

I may have located a set of Stan's Arch wheelset for it, too.
    When you get the frame, please update us or PM me. I am interested in how your experience goes, how long it takes to get to you and the condition and overall quality of the frame. I might go this route in the future but curious as to how smoothly everything works out for you first.
    Life's journey is not 2 arrive @ the grave safe but rather 2 skid in sideways totally worn out shouting "Holy S what a ride!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I could not decide on just getting the crown race adapter and adding a 110 bearing I have in stock or ordering the 40 or 110 IS52 adapter set.
    Wondering cause the myriad of standards now is quite confusing.

This is for the HF053/GoTo53 (but not sure these guys use the same cup depth more on that below.)

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za....ID=8947&MODE=

http://www.canecreek.com/component-h...topProduct=off
    Here is the 110
    http://www.canecreek.com/component-h...topProduct=off

Sidebar, I notice that the headset bearings I got with the HF5329 are a tiny bit taller than my Cane Creek compatible bearings. (roughly 4mm verses 3.55mm measured with digi calipers)
    It seems the cups are a slightly deeper than I would have expected. Guys am I missing a standard somewhere for a difference in cup depth ? I know i can just add washers to get the clearance I need. Still....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update: I posed the question whether to get just the race adapter or the conversion set to Pete at Cane Creek his response was the only thing that makes the 40 or 110 IS52 a conversion assembly is the crown race.

I think just ordering the headset from the chinese is a safe bet as they are cheap then you have the bearings to match up with some higher quality ones of your choice. That way it was easy for me to tell the depth mismatch for the 110's I was about to stick in.
    Still a little confused but that is normal.
    (The language barrier is somewhat of a problem and the chinese told me the wrong thing when I ask about their headset standard when initially specing the frame.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh2TwHJkTY8
    switch to 1080p or 720 for decent picture quality. With the video you see how carbon would match up in some different shadows and light conditions and various angles.
    Weighed in alpine dig scale at -minus water bottle bolts Medium/17 = 2.53/1157 or 2.6 with bolts. (Note 3k weave, 12k weave is slightly thicker outer layer and adds about 5% (around 2.65). But a tiny bit stiffer.
    Another useful tip always be sure and just go ahead and order a spare hanger. Since if you go out there on the trail and taco the hanger, you usually can't just go out to bike store and get the correct one for these models unless you are in china. Also, before putting on the crank, make or order you a nice little steel chain suck protector for behind the chain rings on the carbon stays. A really bad chain suck even if it's no ones fault and the setup is perfect, could ruin a pretty good frame.
    http://store.ibiscycles.com/ibis-moj...ue-on-p35.aspx
    (just bend it to form and fits pretty well on these frames)
    Then add several wraps of helicopter tape for a chainstay guard better than the neoprene guards. I have allot more tips but it would make the post kinda large.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 06-17-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Page 7 of 94 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 620