Page 55 of 331 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 155 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 8257
    mtbr member
    Yeah, I actually heard in another forum about Specialized frames having this issue.
    One did, what I want to do....add some clear coats of laquer.

I can put a piece of paper in there and then it's perfect, almost a little too tight.
    So that's how much of a gap there is all around, but my digital caliper has an empty battery so I can't measure.
    I tried 4 different 31.6 seatposts, they are all the same.

(Hopefully) Good News for all future LT buyers, got a response from Alisa:

Maybe you can get the seatpost clamp in better size .
    Anyway , thanks so much for your suggestion , we'll check it and make it better in the future production .
    Nice day for you .
    ===========================================

EDIT: This is definitely to 95% the same frame:
    Especially after watchen the (slow loading) video, I'm pretty convinced.
    Eurobike 2011 - Focus zeigt Raven 29r Race Hardtail und FSL Fully - MTB-News.de | IBC Mountainbike Forum
    Last edited by dogdaysunrise; 08-31-2011 at 10:31 PM.
    ...love is the absence of fear....

mtbr member
    quick google on carbon seat post tolerance showed a Specialize pdf file on Pave carbon seat post installation guide. The seat post has a tolerance -0.15 to +0.05mm

Seat post should not have any play inside frame and not lower into frame withour resistant.
    Last edited by dereknz; 09-01-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

mtbr member
    Anyone know if these frames are the same as the Setta Razzo 29er?

(Yes - I will seach... but some of you have followed this huge thread since the beginning and might do a better job answering than I'll get from the search.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Do they look the same?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post

(Yes - I will seach... but some of you have followed this huge thread since the beginning and might do a better job answering than I'll get from the search.)
    Not the same frame. Geos are noticeably different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    I have to admit that, after riding it, I just don't think I like 29ers and I already have an awesome all mountain bike that I think will get far more work than this bike. If anyone likes the photos of mine, feel free to make me an offer on it. I'm going out of town for two weeks.

The shifting of the rear axle and wheel/tire was cured by a dt swiss ratchet skewer...fyi
    Sorry it didn't work out for you, Dave. I actually set my bike similar to yours after I saw your pics (red der housing ).

I can't help but to think if you had a different experience with it, or possibly even one of the other frames, that you might feel differently.

Keep riding and having fun...that's what it's really all about ;-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have to admit that..... dt swiss ratchet skewer...fyi
    If you dont mind sharing , what about the ride did you not like?

As a novice myself, I am interested in others opinions (especially when it comes to my exact frame).

Do you think your initial experience with the build quality turned you off from the get go? Or is it purely a ride quality/wheelbase thing?

Thanks... I hope I catch you before you take off.

mtbr member
    I have to admit that, after riding it, I just don't think I like 29ers and I already have an awesome all mountain bike that I think will get far more work than this bike. If anyone likes the photos of mine, feel free to make me an offer on it. I'm going out of town for two weeks.

The shifting of the rear axle and wheel/tire was cured by a dt swiss ratchet skewer...fyi
    Give it a dozen good rides, it will take a while to adapt to a 29er.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hope the LT bike doesn't ride as bad as the Raven, that some say is the same bike?
    Eurobike 2011: Demo Day Ride Report: Focus Raven 29″er 1.0 | Twenty Nine Inches

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sette is an Axaman they do not do out the back sales - well that is what I think it is. Should be really good frame they do good stuff.

mtbr member

that raven does look familiar

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Hope the LT bike doesn't ride as bad as the Raven, that some say is the same bike?
    very similar in appearance and geo numbers to the 16 inch LTK023 I have. However, the wheel base length on the 16 inch is very close to that of my anthem x medium 26, so I don't find that there is a lack of 'playfulness'. I will agree that it likes to go fast, though, as i have broken a couple of PR's with the LT on my local single track loops set with my anthem. I think it will only get faster as my legs get used to churning the big wheels.

As far as compliance goes, I really can't compare to other carbon 29ers, but the ride is certainly cushier than on my carbon 26 hardtail and much less bouncy than on the Al 29er i tested. BTW, I am running a 27.2 carbon seatpost with a 31.6 plastic shim. I had to use plastic tape on the outside of the shim to stabilize the post slippage, but so far, so good. That seatpost may add some compliance?, but probably more important is running the 2.0 stans ravens at 23 psi.

If the frame breaks in the near term, I am in trouble because i can't go back to an Al hardtail 29er after riding this. I'll have to pay up for an OnOne, or really pay up for a brand name (gag) .

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    I read the entire article, and nowhere was the frame or ride referred to negatively.

The Raven 29r really puts every bit of energy to the ground
    I felt nicely stretched, but not too much with adequate control and a high degree of propulsion
    Climbing the Raven 29r was good fun

The only "buts" that were mentioned in the article were:

It may be because I had ridden full suspension bikes before but somehow the frame did NOT feel as compliant and comfortable as I had expected
    This bike likes to go fast but does not make you want to play on the trail. It sure is not a nimble or playful bike by any means

And in those two aspects, he clearly gives qualifications to his comments. And not being "nimble or playful" is not a bad thing...a ferrari is not nimble or playful...it's designed to go really fast so the steering is tight.

All that said...the Raven is substantially different from the LT.

The ht angle on the raven is 69.6 and the LT is 71.

The bb drop on the Raven he rode was 67mm...the LT 18 is 65mm.

The longish chainstays on the Raven was 447mm...the LT is an even longer 450mm.

Point being...2 completely different bikes.

Just because 2 bikes have a shared design doesn't mean that they have anything in common.

I know it would be neat to find the missing link between these chinese frames and a major brand, but just take these frames on their own.

I know that I am enjoying mine and that's what counts. Not what sticker is on the side or where it came from.
    Last edited by will-lee wonka; 09-02-2011 at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Give it a dozen good rides, it will take a while to adapt to a 29er.
    There is truth to this.

My first ride on a 29er I felt weird and discombobulated...love that word. I felt out of sync and nothing flowed well.

My body was so used to riding the trail I was on with the same 26er bikes that it was just confused.

After a few rides, it starts to click and you see some of the benefits of the larger wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by will-lee wonka View Post
    There is truth to this.

My first ride on a 29er I felt weird and discombobulated...love that word. I felt out of sync and nothing flowed well.

My body was so used to riding the trail I was on with the same 26er bikes that it was just confused.

After a few rides, it starts to click and you see some of the benefits of the larger wheels.
    Signed!!!!

I rode 29ers many times and I hated them every time.
    Just a while ago I borrowed the 29er from my friend and took it out on my home trail all by myself and spent some hours with it.
    First I disliked it again, but after 1 1/2 hours on it, and after the second lap on the trail, it clicked and I felt I was going faster....and faster as I went on my 26 in some areas, then I really had some fun with it and now I pulled the trigger on the LT one.....
    ...love is the absence of fear....

mtbr member
    Are any of you guys with the LT frame having trouble with the internal cable routing? I was able to get the rear brake cable routed fine but I can't get the derailleur cables through. From the looks the routing tubes may be misaligned in the frame. I'm afraid to take a Dremel to it and risk damage.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Not technically a 29er but I just picked up a sample cross/touring carbon frame that'd accept the Bontrager Jones XR 29 x 1.8 size tires. Its got full fender and rack mounts, disc and v-mounts, a kickstand mount, all external cable routing, and weighs about 1340g for a 54cm size frame. Headset is 1 1/8 intergrated (the 41.8 campy bearing size), 68mm BB shell, 31.6 post, 135mm dropouts, and 34.9 bottom pull front derailleur. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it at the moment.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Carbon?

From who and how much?

-Steve in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Not technically a 29er but I just picked up a sample cross/touring carbon frame that'd accept the Bontrager Jones XR 29 x 1.8 size tires. Its got full fender and rack mounts, disc and v-mounts, a kickstand mount, all external cable routing, and weighs about 1340g for a 54cm size frame. Headset is 1 1/8 intergrated (the 41.8 campy bearing size), 68mm BB shell, 31.6 post, 135mm dropouts, and 34.9 bottom pull front derailleur. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it at the moment.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

how about some pictures

Sounds interesting. Where did you get it?

Yes carbon... i said that in the first sentence. I got it from a local shop who got it from asia as a sample before deciding who's frame to use for their new model (they have their own housebrand of bikes). It was one they DIDN'T pick for the new model (the one they went with has internal cable routing and will clear the Kenda Karma 29 x 1.9 tire). I'll stick up the pics in a few mins. As to price, technically they fronted the thing to me to flip for them online, so it will likely end up in the mtbr classifieds this afternoon shortly. I've just been lazy about posting it even though I've had it for a week.

I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Yes carbon... i said that in the first sentence. I got it from a local shop who got it from asia as a sample before deciding who's frame to use for their new model (they have their own housebrand of bikes). It was one they DIDN'T pick for the new model (the one they went with has internal cable routing and will clear the Kenda Karma 29 x 1.9 tire). I'll stick up the pics in a few mins. As to price, technically they fronted the thing to me to flip for them online, so it will likely end up in the mtbr classifieds this afternoon shortly. I've just been lazy about posting it even though I've had it for a week.

Ummm, so what will be the price if/when you post it?

About the same as the chinese 29er carbons go for on ebay I imagine, I'm off to look up the price range for them now and will be posting up the thing immediately afterwards. Edit : Ok its posted, and I stuck a seperate SPAM post in the forum with the link in the forum).
    Last edited by DeeEight; 09-03-2011 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCARTELX View Post
    So, when all of you stop buying these "boutique" bicycles from "Hippy Bike Manufacturers", who do you think is going to be engineering innovation with new bikes when you help put them out of business?

You people are short sighted.
    Few boutique bicycles in the USA came up with new idea or engineering innovation. Most of the frame makers here in the USA didn't create anything more innovative than those stock frames. What they create is the hype of overpriced hand-built frame nonsense.

If I have more money, I'd go for small German company like Rohloff (wish they could make their hub much lighter).
    And for the frame, I'd go ask around San Francisco. I couldn't find one of custom frame builder that can build a belt-compatible mountain bike frame with integrated rear rack. They said they can't do it. All they built were overpriced track bike frame. Another shop is Seven dealer, they said Seven never do this.

One German company came close to what I want:
    Metropolitan

For normal folks (normal height, normal arms and legs length) who want traditional Ti or Carbon mountain bike, why should they go for overpriced-boutique brand instead of mass produce one?
    Last edited by nateeprasan; 09-03-2011 at 01:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks like a very nice touring/adventure bike! Way to think out of the box...

Yeah the brand that ordered this in originally was doing so to add a full carbon hybrid basically to their lineup. What they went with has a more sloping toptube, a bit more tire clearance (the Karma 1.9 fits and spins but doesn't have any room to spare for mud, but I bet a 650B quasi-moto 2.0 would be great in it) and the different cable routing and that's how they've built them on their showroom floor. $2000 retail bikes with XT/XTR drivetrains.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post

Who knows?
    Read this: Are All Carbon Bikes Created Equal? | Cycling Tips
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Page 55 of 331 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 155 ... LastLast