mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    A pink one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwe11
    A pink one?
    It's called bling.

mtbr member
    How come there is no metal insert where the rear skewer clamps?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil335
    Because it's a cheap carbon knock off made in China.

Shop wisely. I've got 3 Chinese frames and they all have removable hangers and metal inserts.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

30-ton War Machine
    It is most likely just painted over. I have purchased two different generic frames and the drop-outs were just painted over.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It could be a full carbon drop out.

mtbr member
    It doesn't seem to be painted in the pics I got from Jenny at Hong Fu.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    So, has anyone broken one of these chinese carbon frames and been able to successfully had anything done about it? Or are you just SOL? If that is the case, I would rather buy an On-One so at least you have a 2 year warranty and could actually communicate with someone fairly easily.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Broseph
    So, has anyone broken one of these chinese carbon frames and been able to successfully had anything done about it? Or are you just SOL? If that is the case, I would rather buy an On-One so at least you have a 2 year warranty and could actually communicate with someone fairly easily.
    Kind of agree with Broseph, paying the few extra dollars for a "local frame" where you can go into talk to someone might be worth a few extra bucks.... but not thousands, lol. I to am on the fence about these frames. Part of my problem is the little to no information when they (Chinese suppliers) are responding to my emails. How many times do I need to ask for a delivery eta and detail specs on a frame? Who is everyone dealling with?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the-milkybar-kid
    I have a 19" on order from Hung Fu with custom piant shipping date is around dec 12 will post a pic when its here.
    Milkster - have you gotten your frame yet?

I was looking at the On-One carbon frame - 499GBP ($788) and should be out next spring. There are some people selling 29er frames for $670 on AliExpress, but I'd rather pay $100 more, get the slick On-One dropouts and have a name brand to back it up. But for $450, I could be convinced...

ballbuster

Language barrier?

Quote Originally Posted by dmaindonnie
    Kind of agree with Broseph, paying the few extra dollars for a "local frame" where you can go into talk to someone might be worth a few extra bucks.... but not thousands, lol. I to am on the fence about these frames. Part of my problem is the little to no information when they (Chinese suppliers) are responding to my emails. How many times do I need to ask for a delivery eta and detail specs on a frame? Who is everyone dealling with?
    Maybe they don't know what an ETA is.

I was in France a week before I figured out what États-Unis was... and wondered why USA never appeared on any internet forms. Crud... I don't speak French (yet)!

Quote Originally Posted by alexkraemer
    Milkster - have you gotten your frame yet?

I was looking at the On-One carbon frame - 499GBP ($788) and should be out next spring. There are some people selling 29er frames for $670 on AliExpress, but I'd rather pay $100 more, get the slick On-One dropouts and have a name brand to back it up. But for $450, I could be convinced...

Yeah, I'm thinking that for under $500, I'll roll the dice on that one. I'm sure they are plenty durable. They're probably not terribly refined in the ride quality department, or the lightest thing out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Earlier in this thread this is a poster who actually got one of these frames and on the scale it comes in at 2.6lbs for a 17inch frame that is pretty close to what GOTO Bike said it would be.

I will be pulling the trigger for one of these when their 19inch frame is ready. I was quoted less the 600 CND at my door..assumig the US dollar does not get stronger in the mean time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    $500 aint chump change for me even if I do get a crabon frame out of it. I couldn't afford to just throw one of those in the trash and buy a new one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaindonnie
    If I were you I would email Jenny at Hong-Fu. Everytime I emailed her I get a fast response and all my questions are answered. They don't show a 29er on their website but they do offer it and it is one of the better quality ones too.

mtbr member
    Can someone post the photo of the Hong-Fu frame? One other thing, has anyone seen it in person to be able to confirm that it is one of the better quality ones (chinese frames)?

dwt
    mtbr member

Map Maker
    Does anybody have any pictures of one of these frames built up? I've seen the picture from the website at least 50 times but have yet to see this frame built up.

What is the difference in the 3 offered finishes? IE What does the 12k, 3k, and UD carbon finish look like?
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    $390 would work, I just haven't had anyone actually respond to one of my e-mails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I emailed the "Jenny" person and asked about any type of warranty. Haven't heard anything back yet.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broseph
    I emailed the "Jenny" person and asked about any type of warranty. Haven't heard anything back yet.
    A "warranty" is what you get when you pay full retail @ $2000+/- for a frame that has the words "Specialized" or whatever painted on it.

For $500 +/- you get a knock off (no graphics) or even a counterfeit (painted like the real thing) from China. You don't get a warranty. And even if you did, how would you ever enforce it in Mainland China?

Look at it this way. You pay $500 for a Chinese carbon frame. I have 3 of them. Trust me, it won't arrive in the box broken. You ride it. I've ridden one of mine (road frame) for 3 years, my wife has ridden a road frame for a year, and I have beat the hell out of a hardtail mtn. frame all of this season, with not the slightest problem.

But say you have a problem after a number of great rides, 1/2 a season, 1 full season, 2 seasons, whatever. You crack the top tube or a chainstay. You remove the parts, throw the frame out (recycle it), buy a new one, and rebuild. You're still $1000 ahead of the Specialized. Odds are that you won't get 2 lemons in a row. But even if you do, you still have 2 more chances with China with the odds in your favor till you are at break even with Specialized. And by then you are 4 or 5 years down the road, and if you bought that Specialized in the first place, you'd be in the market for a new frame anyway.

So I'm saying that yes, there is a gamble aspect to this, and you get what you pay for, and if it's too good to be true, then it's false.

But, do any of us really know that the $2000 Specialized is better built, of higher quality material, and less prone to fail? Maybe the cheap Chinese knock-off is the same exact frame. After all, most of them are built in China anyway. Or maybe it's a piece of junk. I don't believe regular consumers like us have the data available to determine whether one is really measurably different than or superior to the other. Maybe somebody with the right background will study it. Maybe the next issue of Mt. Bike Action will have an article on it. Until then, it's go cheap or go big, take your pick.

If you aren't willing to risk your money and your body, then a Chinese knock off is not for you. If you want a warranty, then you'd better deal with your LBS and buy full retail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ive never understood the they are all made in China idea. I build frames, and so does Steve Potts, were both in the USA so our frames are pretty much the same. There are a bunch of factories in China and they all produce good frames and bad frames. paying for a good frame means a lot to me. I could buy 4 cheap carbon frames but I only have 1 set of teeth. If your not particularly fond of your body and dont mind destroying it then by all means get the cheap frame four times. Im not saying a nice frame is not going to break, just that there is a little more substance behind it if it does.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoCo29er
    Ive never understood the they are all made in China idea. I build frames, and so does Steve Potts, were both in the USA so our frames are pretty much the same. There are a bunch of factories in China and they all produce good frames and bad frames. paying for a good frame means a lot to me. I could buy 4 cheap carbon frames but I only have 1 set of teeth. If your not particularly fond of your body and dont mind destroying it then by all means get the cheap frame four times. Im not saying a nice frame is not going to break, just that there is a little more substance behind it if it does.
    Considering the high failure rate of Fisher frames, if you value your teeth, I wouldn't ride a Trek either...

agu
    mtbr member

not mine...

but I found this from the NZ site TradeMe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon 29er-148887451_full.jpeg  

Chinese Carbon 29er-148887372_full.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Well, I hate to break it to you, but not everyone pays full retail in order to get a full warranty or buys a new Specialized S-Works frame at full retail for one either. I know I won't be paying full retail on a bike or frame. So that narrows that incentive a little bit. If it is a matter of putting down an extra $300 or $400 for a full warranty, then the Chinese deal just seems less worth the risk. $788 for the On-One is just looking better and better. Granted, I haven't compared that to what I could get on something through my shop yet either.

For $500, I think it would be reasonable to get manufacturers defects covered for a couple of years even if you had to eat the cost to ship the thing to China.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoCo29er
    It's good to know that we can buy a quality carbon frame from a small business in the USA. As far as the "they're all made in China" meme, it's because literally hundreds of Chinese manufacturers sell many more hundreds of different frames on-line at - let's call them "affordable" instead of "cheap" - prices.

Some are copies or knock offs. Some are actual counterfeits. Some are unique.

We don't really know what we're getting for $500 or less from thousand of miles away in a huge country that will soon take over the world and is not known for having warm and cuddly business ethics - so it's somewhat of a gamble.

My first one was a road frame I rode for 2 years before: a) I bought one for off road; and b) I bought one (road) for my wife. So far, I've been 100% safe and satisfied, and I am now inclined to believe that people who do blow big wads of cash for "name" brands are wasting money on pure marketing hype.

With your expertise, you can do us all a service by addressing these questions:

How does a consumer determine what separates a really "cheap" (as opposed to "inexpensive") carbon frame from a quality one? The type of tubing? The weave? The epoxy? Which tubes are used for which part? Etc.

Where does price fit in? Does it cost a lot more to build a quality frame over a cheap frame?

How much does a consumer pay for the name "Specialized" or "Scott" or "Trek" or "Santa Cruz" or whatever painted on a frame as opposed to the actual frame?

How much do you sell frames for and do you warrant them?

Thx.

Page 5 of 331 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast