Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 400 of 9320
  1. #301
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    130
    It looks like we're getting some were with Batiasta at AllCarbonBikes. We've sent a couple of emails back and forth. I've beat him up on pricing pretty good, I'm sure he's saying to himself: "What have I gotten into with these crazy Americans?"

    I think we can hash out a better shipping quote, and I'm awaiting his response.

    I have diagrams and pics of the 26" frames, and some *****en looking time trials frames, but it's the 29ers were looking for. He says he'll be getting them to me.

    You guys will be very happy with the pricing. And it sounds like we'll get them delivered to our homes individually as well, and not have to deal with 1 big shipment to the states!

    More to come.

  2. #302
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    27
    Hi,

    I would like to sum up to the group purchase. In my case I live in Spain, so things would be much easier for me...Do you know if it is available in 17 or 17.5 inches?

  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    130
    Still awaiting the prints, so I'm not sure of the exact sizing... Yet.

  4. #304
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by LORENZ
    You guys will be very happy with the pricing. And it sounds like we'll get them delivered to our homes individually as well, and not have to deal with 1 big shipment to the states!

    More to come.
    Well, even though I just blew all my bicycle money on a motorcycle I'd probably be in depending on delivered price.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  5. #305
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeschn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    53
    I guess I don't understand this group buy thingie...

    If the frame is out there, in the size that you want, why not just buy it?

    I did, I got it in 4 days, and I couldn't be happier! What do you gain with a group buy? Save a couple bucks?

    Mikey

  6. #306
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeschn
    What do you gain with a group buy? Save a couple bucks?

    Mikey
    Well, of course, that's what it hinges on. All these suppliers have a price break at certain volumes. If it's $10 that might not be worth the hassle, if it's $100 that's a different story .
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    Can I be the banker and hold everyone's money?

    HA,HA!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #308
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by LORENZ
    I've talked to On-One's USA rep. He didn't want anything to do with selling me $20,000 USD worth of their 29er frames. $20k or $1k didn't matter to this guy, he treated me like every other customer. Pretty bold for an emerging company wanting to open up shop in the USA competing with $500 frames straight from the source overseas.

    Let's see what we, as MTBR.com members, can do about making you the Spanish salesman of the year.
    That would because we are opening our own operation in the States that will deal with all of our products, not just the carbon 29er frames. The On-One brand is about ten years old and Planet X was started 20 years ago. We have more to offer than one frame.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    29
    Subscribed for a GB price

  10. #310
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That would because we are opening our own operation in the States that will deal with all of our products, not just the carbon 29er frames. The On-One brand is about ten years old and Planet X was started 20 years ago. We have more to offer than one frame.
    So what: gray market the same frames without any branding...
    bring in container loads and dump them on eBay for double the cost...
    I'm not sure why someone hasn't already done the deal: overlooked market?

  11. #311
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    320 I would be in for the 17.5 Matte. I am USA mainland.
    + 1 on a service like wepay (see below hsakkire good suggestion.)
    https://www.wepay.com/

    Sure sounds like we got a plan coming together. How to do the various ship tos ? It is possible that the supplier would do that for us. Heck they are used to shipping to multiple addresses. We would get the bulk pricing on the frames and then pay the standard shipping rate. Any other good ideas on this one? Or if anyone wants to contact www.gotobike.com.cn and ask them if they will do it that way.
    Last edited by ghawk; 02-04-2011 at 07:27 AM.

  12. #312
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,493
    I'd want to see how it rode first. Ive ridden some carbon frames that were harsher than Al alloy frames. On-one is possibly the cheapest that is known to ride well.

  13. #313
    aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    520
    For the group buy, I suggest using a service like WePay to account for everyones payment.

  14. #314
    bike tester
    Reputation: syl3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelDuke
    Hi,

    I would like to sum up to the group purchase. In my case I live in Spain, so things would be much easier for me...Do you know if it is available in 17 or 17.5 inches?
    Also in Europe, if the price is right i will buy 3 or 4 of these for all my friends

  15. #315
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1
    I would be interested in the group buy in 19". Do they offer the matching carbon fork?

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7
    Also interested, live in europe...

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fastmq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    77
    im in

  18. #318
    lurking no more
    Reputation: nocnypatrol.org's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    125
    i'm also interested, need 21" when it will be available, i'm from europe

  19. #319
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    130
    After a little bit of scratching. We came to a deal from AllCarbonBikes.com and barista.

    $320 and $130 shipping for a 26" Carbon frame.

    WaaaWaaaaaaWAAAAAAAA....

    He couldn't come through with a 29er frame.

    Shiggy at On-One, Do you want to give us a shot at a Group Buy on your new 29er, or should I look elsewere to round something up?

  20. #320
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by LORENZ
    ......

    Shiggy at On-One, Do you want to give us a shot at a Group Buy on your new 29er.....
    I'd sign on for a deal on a Lurcher. At first I didn't think it made much sense for them offer a discount on a new, desirable model. However after thinking about it, here in the Front Range of Colorado there sure isn't much of an On-One presence and a group buy could help get the ball rolling for a smaller brand with lots of new products.
    2 wheels

  21. #321
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dictatorsaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,655
    group buy for the lurcher? I'd go for that.

  22. #322
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    130
    What's a lurcher? The only Carbon 29er from On-One is this:

    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOCAR2...9er-race-frame

    They want a grand for it, when all the other 26er frames are $550. What do you say Shiggy. $515 shipped to each of doors in a group buy?

  23. #323
    mtbr member
    Reputation: foofighter275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    153
    lurcher is the heavier version of the race

    http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/product...-inches-report
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

    Terminal Pholocity

  24. #324
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by LORENZ
    Shiggy at On-One, Do you want to give us a shot at a Group Buy on your new 29er, or should I look elsewere to round something up?
    Bummer; though I don't see an On-One discount either; they'll probably sell every one they make at the price they're offering without any discounts.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  25. #325
    29ering
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    155
    I'd be in....if it was titanium...muhahahahaha.

  26. #326
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,329
    I'd take one for $320 and $70 shipping.

  27. #327
    I <3 29ers
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,940
    So?!?!?!??! Where is everyone?!?!??! One minute it's "please send me an email" and the next minute it's *crickets*.

    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies.

  28. #328
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by LORENZ
    ...Shiggy at On-One, Do you want to give us a shot at a Group Buy on your new 29er, or should I look elsewere to round something up?
    We are bringing our On-One frames--and not just one model--into the States. Then you can buy whatever you like from us, complete with warranty, customer service, reasonable shipping, and even partial or complete build kits if you want. We will not ship them to you direct from Asia.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  29. #329
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    We are bringing our On-One frames--and not just one model--into the States. Then you can buy whatever you like from us, complete with warranty, customer service, reasonable shipping, and even partial or complete build kits if you want. We will not ship them to you direct from Asia.


    Good to hear , time frame ? Larger sizes (21/22") perhaps ? Thanks .

  30. #330
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Good to hear , time frame ? Larger sizes (21/22") perhaps ? Thanks .
    The US operations is moving forward quickly. Hope to have the larger (and smaller) frame sizes by late spring along with the Stateside ops.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  31. #331
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    We are bringing our On-One frames--and not just one model--into the States. Then you can buy whatever you like from us, complete with warranty, customer service, reasonable shipping, and even partial or complete build kits if you want. We will not ship them to you direct from Asia.
    It was worth a shot but I'm ok with that and your price points should be competitive enough to get me on board anyway depending on the timing.
    2 wheels

  32. #332
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The US operations is moving forward quickly. Hope to have the larger (and smaller) frame sizes by late spring along with the Stateside ops.


    Nice , look forward to seeing them . Thanks .

  33. #333
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    27
    Hi,

    I have received a quotation from hong fu for a single frame HF-053 -29ER in 17.5 size

    coby <hongfubikes@126.com>
    size 17.5" have stock, now enclosed the geometry to you confirm.
    the price is : 435USD(frame only)+15USD(headset)+80USD(shipping cost)



  34. #334
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    27
    Hi,

    I have received a quotation from hong fu for a single frame HF-053 -29ER in 17.5 size

    coby <hongfubikes@126.com>
    size 17.5" have stock, now enclosed the geometry to you confirm.
    the price is : 435USD(frame only)+15USD(headset)+80USD(shipping cost)



  35. #335
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    341
    You should check out gotobike, they sent me a price list and it says that prices on multiple quantities are negotiable. And it looks as if they have the 21in model as well.

  36. #336
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    352
    anyone buy one and not like it?

  37. #337
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeschn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    53
    We started building my Chinese Carbon 29er today. We knew we wouldn't get far, because the suspension fork that I orderered will arrive next week some time. Still, we figured we'd see how far we could get...

    Got the bottom bracket and the cranks on. Got the rear derailleur, rear caliper on and rear wheel on. Went to put on the front derailleur, and it didn't fit. And of course, no fork. We were done.

    to be continued...



    Mikey

  38. #338
    mtbr member
    Reputation: foofighter275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    153
    Just FYI i got an email from GOTOBIKE that their account was hacked and that invoices are being sent out with erroneous banking info.

    Not sure if it's a legit email or not but just wanted to pass it on
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

    Terminal Pholocity

  39. #339
    29ering
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelDuke
    Hi,

    I have received a quotation from hong fu for a single frame HF-053 -29ER in 17.5 size

    coby <hongfubikes@126.com>
    size 17.5" have stock, now enclosed the geometry to you confirm.
    the price is : 435USD(frame only)+15USD(headset)+80USD(shipping cost)


    Could get a titanium 29er from bikesdirect with a reba race fork for $1099. That's with headset, frame, fork, free ship, and no tax from my understanding. Plus you got a good warranty with them, and the fact that they are based in the US makes it a no risk factor IMO. Just another option...

  40. #340
    mtbr member
    Reputation: foofighter275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    153
    didnt know you can just buy frame and fork from them...good to know
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

    Terminal Pholocity

  41. #341
    29ering
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter29er
    Just FYI i got an email from GOTOBIKE that their account was hacked and that invoices are being sent out with erroneous banking info.

    Not sure if it's a legit email or not but just wanted to pass it on
    I think you are better off buying from jenny at hong-fu bikes. I've heard a lot of good success with them.

  42. #342
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29
    Finally the bike is ready and rolling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon 29er-carb1.jpg  

    Chinese Carbon 29er-carb2.jpg  

    Chinese Carbon 29er-carb3.jpg  

    Chinese Carbon 29er-carb4.jpg  


  43. #343
    Let's ride
    Reputation: rensho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,137
    The build looks nice.


    Would you take some pics of the tire clearance? Is that a Little Albert tire? What size?

  44. #344
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,033
    Is a group buy actually going to happen? If you are in the Bay area let me know. I want to grab one for my GF.

  45. #345
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    440
    Nice!

  46. #346
    mtbr member
    Reputation: foofighter275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by genuflektor
    Finally the bike is ready and rolling.
    that looks great, how's it ride?

    spec details?
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

    Terminal Pholocity

  47. #347
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    The build looks nice.


    Would you take some pics of the tire clearance? Is that a Little Albert tire? What size?
    No pics yet from the clearance. The rear tire in the image is an Albert 2,1 (but quite narrow I must say), now I have installed a Racing Ralph 2,25 to have a more cushy ride and clearance is on the limit (all installed on a Stans 355 rim) Not too much room in this frame for big tires.

  48. #348
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,711
    Interesting, re Alibaba:

    Alibaba CEO Wei Quits After Probe Into Fraudulent Suppliers

    Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1EcKYnAI3

    Morgan

  49. #349
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeGrazing
    I'd be in....if it was titanium...muhahahahaha.
    You should look at On-One they have ti!!!

  50. #350
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter29er
    didnt know you can just buy frame and fork from them...good to know
    I didn't see a 29er carbon fork on the hong-fu bikes site.

  51. #351
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    906
    well I'm looking at getting two 29er frames and I want to set one bike up with a carbon fork
    I was looking at alu m5 from sepecialized $ 810.00 msrp. Sepecialized carbon about 2,5000.00 Niner carbon 1,800.00 On-One about 900.00 I don't care if my bike has a name on it or not, no name and save some $$$.
    I would like to get in on a group buy but I have to sell my Salsa frames first.
    Thanks for all the info, I don't know who I'm going to buy from hong-fu or go to bikes,
    go to bikes has the 29er carbon fork.

  52. #352
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeschn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    53
    We finished building the Carbon 29er today.

    It's still pretty heavy at 26 1/2 pounds. (12.02 Kg).

    The next step is probably lighter wheels. Then maybe XO carbon cranks. But first I want to ride it a bit and see if I like carbon.

    Here's the picture...



    Mikey

  53. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    166
    Let me know the details when they are solid. 17.5 the smallest?

  54. #354
    29ering
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    155
    That carbon frame looks nice. Looks like the specialized s-works frame. Surprised it weighs a bit much, but not too bad for a 29er. I suppose the fact that it weighs more may mean it is a strong frame?

  55. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeschn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeGrazing
    That carbon frame looks nice. Looks like the specialized s-works frame. Surprised it weighs a bit much, but not too bad for a 29er. I suppose the fact that it weighs more may mean it is a strong frame?
    The frame itself is only 1200 grams.

    It's the other stuff that weighs too much, the wheels and tires, the crankset, and the suspension fork.

    Have you seen the weights of 29er tires?

    Mikey

  56. #356
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by genuflektor
    No pics yet from the clearance. The rear tire in the image is an Albert 2,1 (but quite narrow I must say), now I have installed a Racing Ralph 2,25 to have a more cushy ride and clearance is on the limit (all installed on a Stans 355 rim) Not too much room in this frame for big tires.
    What's the weight of that baby! if I build one up it's going to be like yours.

  57. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    27
    Hi,

    I have received today this message from gotobikes:

    Dear Mikel,
    How are you?
    We just get new stocking of 30 pcs of MTB753-29'' in 17.5'', UD finish.
    I show you photo and geometry.
    Price at USD500/pc for sample, USD400/pc when more than 10 pcs.
    If any you need pls keep me informed.
    Best regards!
    Loice

    Anyone interested?

  58. #358
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac
    What's the weight of that baby! if I build one up it's going to be like yours.
    10,3kg like in the picture. 1230gr for the frame.

  59. #359
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeschn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by genuflektor
    Finally the bike is ready and rolling.
    What fork is that, and how much does it weigh?

    Mikey

  60. #360
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelDuke
    Hi,

    I have received today this message from gotobikes:

    Dear Mikel,
    How are you?
    We just get new stocking of 30 pcs of MTB753-29'' in 17.5'', UD finish.
    I show you photo and geometry.
    Price at USD500/pc for sample, USD400/pc when more than 10 pcs.
    If any you need pls keep me informed.
    Best regards!
    Loice

    Anyone interested?
    Did they show photo ? I got the same thing (I had conversations with them about doing UD runs months ago and explained how would be more popular, and they said they would and then a couple of months later said "we have for you" & sent me a pick of 3k weave. The same ole pic that has been floating around.)
    If they can actually produce a pic of the UD (maybe with a matte clear coat I would be most appreciative and would sign up with you guys for a group order.)
    Still think it is a great frame if you are not too picky (like me ) on the exterior glamor layer which you should have covered in dirt in a few days anyway !

  61. #361
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Did they show photo ? !
    No, I did not ask for a pic, sorry. Actually I think that hongfu sales the same frame, and a little cheaper. Anyway I think I am going to wait until carconcycles.cc sell a 29er frame, cause they ship from the UK (no customs within the EU)

  62. #362
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelDuke
    carconcycles.cc
    please check. I could be interested in a cheap carbon frame sold from EU

  63. #363
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    16


    The build begins

    Frame: chinese carbon 29er- 1197g
    Fork: Niner Carbon Fork- 565g
    Brakes: Formula R1 set- 540g
    Cog: Chris King- 32g
    Chain: Campy Record- 200g
    Handlebar: Extralite UltraBar Flat Bar: 105g
    Grips: Extralite UltraGrips: 16 grams
    Stem: Extralite UL3 MTB Stem (25.4mm): 82g
    Cranks: XX- 637g
    Bottom Bracket: Ceramic Truvativ- 114g
    Chain tensioner: Gusset- 96g
    Saddle: Chinese Carbon- 100g
    Seat Post: Ti Pro Lite- 165g
    Seat Collar: Ultimate 11g
    Tires: Specialized Renegade 29er tires: 1000g
    Rims: Race 29er Wheels: 1370g
    Skewers: Titanic- 62g

    Total: 13.86 pounds

  64. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    765
    The neuvation wheels guy should import these, he does great prices with road bikes using the same manufacturer as Blue cycles, Karbona:
    http://www.neuvationcycling.com/index.html

    His newest frame FC500 looks almost identical to my 07 Ridley Excalibur.

  65. #365
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,058
    Quote Originally Posted by DaChosenOne
    /\ Looks amazingly similar to the carbon stumpjumper. Nice. I just built up an ebay chinese carbon road frame, very pleased with it.

  66. #366
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    440
    I'm interested in these frames, but I can't make heads or tails from this thread what's going on.

    Who is organizing the buy(s)?

    Where are the buys being purchased from? (hongfu, allcarbon, goto, etc)

    What is the difference between the Hongfu, AllCarbon, & GOTO bikes? (geometry, finishes, bottom bracket shells, head tubes - tapered/non tapered)


    I'm just trying to make sure I get on the right train.

    Thanks!

  67. #367
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    16
    Ok...stop dealing with all this group buying talk. Its simple....go to Hung Fu bikes webpage and email Jenny. I have been talking to her for several months now to have custom bikes made for my new nutrition company. The frames are made in house and if you read road bike review a gentleman posted pictures of their factory and their process of frame production. My frame was $485 shipped to my door with the custom matte finish done. I had it in 5 days. They work fast and are easier to deal with than most bike companies. Goto is the same bike mold but more expensive and their lead times are long. They have great customer service too.

  68. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clarkrw3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    542
    has anyone gotten one of these in a larger size than 19?

  69. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    419
    Just kick me outta here, I'll understand...my thinking is: I need a complete bike (no parts on hand). A new 2011 with full warranty Specialized SJ Comp Carbon HT 9er is $2900 list, I can get it for $2300 + tax + $25 for shipping, so under $2500 total.

    My parts cost for similar build (but better tubeless wheels) is about $1750 + $600 for the delivered frame subject of this thread = $2350 + needs assembly.

    So, for only an extra $150 I get a complete bike with awesome resale...a no brainer for me, but like I said, just my worthless opinion. Please carry on...it's an interesting thread. The frames sound ideal if you have parts on hand or you prefer your own custom build specs.
    jimbo

    www.jamesromeyn.com Music and Audio, LLC
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

  70. #370
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,493
    And a complete on-0ne race 29er even cheaper.

  71. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    So, for only an extra $150 I get a complete bike with awesome resale...a no brainer for me, but like I said, just my worthless opinion.
    It's not for everyone. Some of us are cheap and some dig the process of spec'ing out and building a bike from scratch. I happen to be both.

    I built a FM-015 from dengfu last year for about $1300. It's good to count the cost and see if building or buying is best, for me it was a no brainer

  72. #372
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    Just kick me outta here, I'll understand...my thinking is: I need a complete bike (no parts on hand). A new 2011 with full warranty Specialized SJ Comp Carbon HT 9er is $2900 list, I can get it for $2300 + tax + $25 for shipping, so under $2500 total.

    My parts cost for similar build (but better tubeless wheels) is about $1750 + $600 for the delivered frame subject of this thread = $2350 + needs assembly.

    So, for only an extra $150 I get a complete bike with awesome resale...a no brainer for me, but like I said, just my worthless opinion. Please carry on...it's an interesting thread. The frames sound ideal if you have parts on hand or you prefer your own custom build specs.
    Admittedly, you weren't comparing apples to apples. You probably spec'ed a basic Stan's wheelset, which is probably worth $250+ more than the stock wheelset on the Specialized. So the difference is probably closer to $400. Beyond that, I prefer to decide which parts I spend more or less money on. I don't want an X7 drivetrain (with an X9 rear, b/c that is all that a lot of people notice.) I don't want a bunch of Specialized branded parts, though I have no problem with them. I know that on a 29er I would be willing to spend more on a wheelset than the rest of the bike combined (and I have before.)

    Because people want to make these decisions, they choose to build their own bikes. Often, the bike at the LBS is a "better deal." Often, the bike that was assembled from random parts is the better deal. Either way, there isn't really a "no brainer" option. Different strokes. If you want the Specialized, buy it. If you want something different, and are informed enough to know exactly what works for you, than build your own.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

  73. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor
    Admittedly, you weren't comparing apples to apples. You probably spec'ed a basic Stan's wheelset, which is probably worth $250+ more than the stock wheelset on the Specialized. So the difference is probably closer to $400. Beyond that, I prefer to decide which parts I spend more or less money on. I don't want an X7 drivetrain (with an X9 rear, b/c that is all that a lot of people notice.) I don't want a bunch of Specialized branded parts, though I have no problem with them. I know that on a 29er I would be willing to spend more on a wheelset than the rest of the bike combined (and I have before.)

    Because people want to make these decisions, they choose to build their own bikes. Often, the bike at the LBS is a "better deal." Often, the bike that was assembled from random parts is the better deal. Either way, there isn't really a "no brainer" option. Different strokes. If you want the Specialized, buy it. If you want something different, and are informed enough to know exactly what works for you, than build your own.
    Thanks, very informative...yes, I'm becoming a believer. Now of course you got me thinking more seriously about this custom carbon frame...What are considerations comparing this Chinese 29er frame in XL vs. the '11 Spec SJ HT "Comp Carbon 29er" frame? (Also considering $3100 Orbea Alma 29er S50 w/ "Mavic 29 TN719 DISC" wheel set.)

    My $1750 build parts included the $475/set WTB tubeless wheels, first available about two weeks ago http://www.wtb.com/products/wheels/wheelsets/speed29/. Opinions welcome. (Next WTB TL step up is $1k.)

    Specialized OEM wheel set:
    Rims: Custom DT Swiss X450SL, alloy 29", 24mm w/ eyelets, 32h
    Front Hub: Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, OS 28 end caps, sealed cartridge bearing, RWS, 32h
    Rear Hub: Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, double sealed cartridge bearing, QR, 32h

    The more I read about wheels the more I suspect that wheels are like bows in the violin world: proper funds allocation may be to spend more on the bow than the instrument itself, such is the bow's impact on overall performance and feel for the musician. Anyone surprised you can spend $10k on a bow?

    Sorry I strayed so far OT.
    Last edited by ro7939; 03-18-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    jimbo

    www.jamesromeyn.com Music and Audio, LLC
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

  74. #374
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    Thanks, very informative...yes, I'm becoming a believer. Now of course you got me thinking more seriously about this custom carbon frame...What are considerations comparing this Chinese 29er frame in XL vs. the '11 Spec SJ HT "Comp Carbon 29er" frame? (Also considering $3100 Orbea Alma 29er S50 w/ "Mavic 29 TN719 DISC" wheel set.)

    My $1750 build parts included the $475/set WTB tubeless wheels, first available about two weeks ago http://www.wtb.com/products/wheels/wheelsets/speed29/. Opinions welcome. (Next WTB TL step up is $1k.)

    Specialized OEM wheel set:
    Rims: Custom DT Swiss X450SL, alloy 29", 24mm w/ eyelets, 32h
    Front Hub: Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, OS 28 end caps, sealed cartridge bearing, RWS, 32h
    Rear Hub: Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, double sealed cartridge bearing, QR, 32h

    The more I read about wheels the more I suspect that wheels are like bows in the violin world: proper funds allocation may be to spend more on the bow than the instrument itself, such is the bow's impact on overall performance and feel for the musician. Anyone surprised you can spend $10k on a bow?

    Sorry I strayed so far OT.
    I would accept the 719 wheelset to have the Alma. I don't love the looks, but from what I have seen and heard that is an amazing race bike.The 719's are good wheels, but they are heavy for what they are. An Alma with the basic Crest/ZTR wheelset would be an amazing race ready bike.

    I rode one of the Chinese Carbon bikes today and I was impressed. Just a quick ride but it felt stiff and it was finished surprisingly well. Building a Chinese carbon bike is much like buying a Bikesdirect bike. The value is undeniable, but it isn't the right deal for everybody. For some good value is a custom Ti bike, and for some it is an entry level HT. It just depends on what makes your riding experience better. I have found that on a 29er a heavy or overly flexy wheelset just detracts from the experience too much for me.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

  75. #375
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    419
    I'll order a frame as soon as at least one experienced rider who has seen (better ridden) one of the frames confirms two little items: Is the frame rugged enough for 6-3, 235 lbs, age 57, no big intentional drops, lotsa rocks all sizes/shapes, 35+ mph?

    What wheels do you recommend, some sweet spot between midrange and cost no object?

    Many thanks!
    jimbo

    www.jamesromeyn.com Music and Audio, LLC
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

  76. #376
    bike tester
    Reputation: syl3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    I'll order a frame as soon as at least one experienced rider who has seen (better ridden) one of the frames confirms two little items: Is the frame rugged enough for 6-3, 235 lbs, age 57, no big intentional drops, lotsa rocks all sizes/shapes, 35+ mph?

    What wheels do you recommend, some sweet spot between midrange and cost no object?

    Many thanks!
    I don't think there any frames your size in stock anywhere, and there won't be until mid april.

    Also for your intended purpose the frame may be strong enough but it doesn't have enough clearance for decent tyres, it is designed with racing in mind.

  77. #377
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    419
    Thank you syl3. What is maximum tire width (or tire make/model with largest footprint) with "adequate" clearance? Maximum recommended fork travel?
    jimbo

    www.jamesromeyn.com Music and Audio, LLC
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

  78. #378
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeschn
    We started building my Chinese Carbon 29er today. We knew we wouldn't get far, because the suspension fork that I orderered will arrive next week some time. Still, we figured we'd see how far we could get...

    Got the bottom bracket and the cranks on. Got the rear derailleur, rear caliper on and rear wheel on. Went to put on the front derailleur, and it didn't fit. And of course, no fork. We were done.

    to be continued...



    Mikey

    Oh man, I'm dying...that all black is just beeahjinnn...love it.
    jimbo

    www.jamesromeyn.com Music and Audio, LLC
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

  79. #379
    bike tester
    Reputation: syl3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    Thank you syl3. What is maximum tire width (or tire make/model with largest footprint) with "adequate" clearance? Maximum recommended fork travel?
    I understand that officially smth like rocket ron 2.2 is max. If you have a bombproof wheelset that doesn't flex at all, i think you could push it with a 2.25 ralph as long as you check regularly for any signs of rub.

  80. #380
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I would think a group buy would have to ship to one address.
    Yes, one would think so.

    I volunteer to receive and ship out for no charge depending on the frame quantity and tire clearance. It would help me decide if someone posted images accurately portraying tire clearance, with the exact make/model/size tire. Paypal is the only acceptable payment method; my Premier account subtracts 3% for each deposit and each person would have to add 3.1% because that is the number to subtract 3% and equal the original number. Ditto shipping fees from me to each participant, add 3.1%. I don't process checks here except from authorized pre-certified MI dealers. I'll weigh each frame with my certified digital scale and the fee is whatever Endica (USPS 3rd party vendor) says it is (accurate to 1oz).

    I get bulk USPS discount (see signature links; I work at home). Absolutely no loss/damage claims for about 150 deliveries USA and about 20 foreign countries. But my music instrument accessory is small, 2 lbs, and value only $100. Possibly more risk with much larger item valued $500. I have great working relationships with three local USPS personnel, whose advice to date is all solid. Roland at the Providence, Utah USPS has over 30 years experience and helped several local businesses including mine.
    Last edited by ro7939; 03-20-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    jimbo

    www.jamesromeyn.com Music and Audio, LLC
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

  81. #381
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14
    Someone can tell me where I can buy this frame ?






    Found here :

    http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum/topi...1#entry1212342

    Not interested by the paint but geometry !

    I searched on the Bay and BaBa but found nothing
    Same thing on GotoBike and Dengfu website

    Also I searched for an Axman M10,
    No price on Axman website and nowhere to order the frame.

    I need your help, tanks a lot

  82. #382
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by morris89
    Someone can tell me where I can buy this frame ?






    Found here :

    http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum/topi...1#entry1212342

    Not interested by the paint but geometry !

    I searched on the Bay and BaBa but found nothing
    Same thing on GotoBike and Dengfu website

    Also I searched for an Axman M10,
    No price on Axman website and nowhere to order the frame.

    I need your help, tanks a lot
    Bump! I would also like to know where I can buy this frame. I think it would be best to send an e-mail to those manufactures and ask them whether they are familiar with this frame/design/producer. If not, they will quickly make one. Chinese are fast learners.
    Last edited by PatrickK; 03-20-2011 at 08:09 PM.

  83. #383
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    Just kick me outta here, I'll understand...my thinking is: I need a complete bike (no parts on hand). A new 2011 with full warranty Specialized SJ Comp Carbon HT 9er is $2900 list, I can get it for $2300 + tax + $25 for shipping, so under $2500 total.

    My parts cost for similar build (but better tubeless wheels) is about $1750 + $600 for the delivered frame subject of this thread = $2350 + needs assembly.

    So, for only an extra $150 I get a complete bike with awesome resale...a no brainer for me, but like I said, just my worthless opinion. Please carry on...it's an interesting thread. The frames sound ideal if you have parts on hand or you prefer your own custom build specs.

    Good for you. Go away now.

  84. #384
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK
    Good for you. Go away now.

    Sorry my self deprecating post did not apparently fulfill your sadistic bent.

    Well, on a different note, other more realistic reasons to skip this thread. In spite of the posts predicting great results like: "Email the folks in China and five days later you have a frame."....Sorry, no reply after three days (it's 09:00 Zulu now in that city in China...I purchase from a factory in that city...I can probably get images of their "factory" if anyone interested). Their website is less than inspiring, with several blank pages.

    At least you can call and get during any regular business hours the availability of any Specialized and Cannondale bike.

    The resale value is likely zero on these Chinese frames. If you're OK with that, and enjoy nonexistent service, order now.

    "Jennie" in China could be a guy or a robot. Gotta love a factory that "tiles" the images of their employees...maybe illegal slave laborers hustled in from God only knows where. Send money now, operators are standing by! Free George Foreman grills this week.
    Last edited by ro7939; 03-22-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    jimbo

    www.jamesromeyn.com Music and Audio, LLC
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

  85. #385
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK
    Bump! I would also like to know where I can buy this frame. I think it would be best to send an e-mail to those manufactures and ask them whether they are familiar with this frame/design/producer. If not, they will quickly make one....
    Emphasis added. Please post when that prediction comes true.
    jimbo

    www.jamesromeyn.com Music and Audio, LLC
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

  86. #386
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    Sorry my self deprecating post did not apparently fulfill your sadistic bent.

    Well, on a different note, other more realistic reasons to skip this thread. In spite of the posts predicting great results like: "Email the folks in China and five days later you have a frame."....Sorry, no reply after three days (it's 09:00 Zulu now in that city in China...I purchase from a factory in that city...I can probably get images of their "factory" if anyone interested). Their website is less than inspiring, with several blank pages.

    At least you can call and get during any regular business hours the availability of any Specialized and Cannondale bike.

    The resale value is likely zero on these Chinese frames. If you're OK with that, and enjoy nonexistent service, order now.

    "Jennie" in China could be a guy or a robot. Gotta love a factory that "tiles" the images of their employees...maybe illegal slave laborers hustled in from God only knows where. Send money now, operators are standing by! Free George Foreman grills this week.
    I am glad to know racism is alive among inbreds such as you. Seeing where you from it is self-explanatory then. Btw, Chinese do not believe in your "God" so please restrain yourself.

    No need for you to post here. Go back to you village and stay there.

  87. #387
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhbomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    793
    Wow....things get pretty heavy around here...

    I'm pretty interested in one of the hong fu frames...emailed jenny asking sizing questions and what not...but I want to know other stuff only true owners could answer.

    Would this frames geo be ruined with a 120mm fork? Or is it strictly 100mm?

    I would be installing a Fox F29...Anyone know if Hong Fu can paint your frame? I would like it white...I asked Jenny but I didn't get an answer.

    Thanks
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

    On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

  88. #388
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...earchText=29er

    try here , morris89

    but pay attention to Specy frames : probably a scam

  89. #389
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz
    And a complete on-0ne race 29er even cheaper.
    This ^ I would like to see. All the pricing I have seen on the full build on-One 29er race is $2700+ USD. Don't get me wrong as I think even at this price it is a great deal, but of course if it can be had for less, I would like to see. I am just waiting for any of these companies to get in their 19-19.5" frames! Have the money to spend, but no bike available to spend it on.

  90. #390
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fastmq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    77
    so a couple of this frames on ebay very tempted to get one of this

  91. #391
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmq
    so a couple of this frames on ebay very tempted to get one of this
    Yeah mine.

  92. #392
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhbomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    793
    fastmq could you please send the link to the 29er frame on ebay?

    I've been looking for it and I can only see 26ers and road frames!

    Also, is this the same frame posted here? The hong fu frame?

    Thanks!
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

    On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

  93. #393
    bike tester
    Reputation: syl3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,155
    just search for "29er carbon", several frames there including mellow's

  94. #394
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    49
    wow, big deal: you can buy this frame in switzerland for only three times (and something) the price:
    http://www.zaboobikes.com/terra29_frame.html


  95. #395
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhbomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    793
    hehe crazy!

    Strange those guys do offer up to a 21" size...when I've read jenny's telling everybody it's still not available?

    Been looking at the ebay frames....Goto Bikes are more expensive...and the same as hong fu?? I wonder why....
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

    On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

  96. #396
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder75
    This ^ I would like to see. All the pricing I have seen on the full build on-One 29er race is $2700+ USD. Don't get me wrong as I think even at this price it is a great deal, but of course if it can be had for less, I would like to see. I am just waiting for any of these companies to get in their 19-19.5" frames! Have the money to spend, but no bike available to spend it on.
    They have a frame set bundled with Reba RLT for $1400 which seems better priced than full build.

    If I had the money Scott Scale carbon 29er would be my choice. Great up up to date geometry and at least it has a ride comfort and weight advantage over top end AL alloy frames. Not sure this Carbon 29er has either. Has anyone actually ridden one?

  97. #397
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    352
    1,689.00 CHF = 1,832.60 USD
    Swiss Franc US Dollar
    1 CHF = 1.08502 USD 1 USD = 0.921644 CHF
    thats nuts

  98. #398
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    18
    Why not saving your $ and find a local builder and get yourself a sweet riding custom steel frame made in the US by an American and made up with US made True Temper tubing?
    AE

  99. #399
    Waiting for Godot
    Reputation: OilcanRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Pungbråck
    Why not saving your $ and find a local builder and get yourself a sweet riding custom steel frame made in the US by an American and made up with US made True Temper tubing?
    AE

    are you really that far out of touch with reality? or are you asking a question?

    the two bikes are very different in weight, bump compliance, looks, etc...
    Out riding, leave a message

  100. #400
    "Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Reputation: kkjellquist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Pungbråck
    Why not saving your $ and find a local builder and get yourself a sweet riding custom steel frame made in the US by an American and made up with US made True Temper tubing?
    AE
    I have a custom lugged steel road bike that was $1200 for frame and fork, and I've always thought that was a bargain...and it was.

    Out of curiosity I emailed 'Jenny' and was just quoted $520 for frame, headset, and shipping on the Chinese 29er. Until you can show me a builder that will be anywhere close to that price your argument is moot.

    The entire anti-Chinese stance reeks of xenophobia and racism to me. If these frames were made in Norway, France, Lithuania, or Canada nobody would think twice about the purchase. Look at Cervelo for example....because they are Canadians that import Chinese frames, apply a huge mark up, and have killer marketing, somehow people think it's OK. If I was in the market for a carbon 29er I'd skip the middle man.

    The other argument is the warranty issue. I can't speak for other companies but I did work for a Cervelo dealer for several years and they aren't giving away frames. Your warranty better be a legitimate factory defect and those are extremely rare. In my experience, most warranty claims don't qualify and the customer ends up buying a replacement at a great price or they get nothing. Well...this Chinese 29er beats most replacement deals so you still come out ahead IF it breaks.

    I'm not buying one, but if I was in the market I almost certainly would.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 518

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •