Page 184 of 184 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184
Results 9,151 to 9,180 of 9180
    Epic rider

Chinese Carbon 29er

Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    What tires are you running? They seem to have some fairly big volume.
    Conti Raceking racesport 2.2 on 25mm internal width rims.
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    So I've read through some of this thread and really appreciate those that have provided insight into their builds and their dealings with vendors. I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can provide insight.

Recently, I cracked the frame on my 2009 Gary Fisher X-Cal. I'm hoping to find a frame that most of my components will transfer in the hopes of saving some cash and keeping me riding to til tax check time. Specifically, I have a Fox F80RL that I really like. It's a 1 1/8 fork. The frames I'm interested in (CS-057, Workswell 062, Flyxii FR202) are all tapered. For those that have a 1 1/8 fork, what has been your experience in using some type of conversion kit (assuming cane creek I guess)?

Additionally, any issues with tire clearance on these frames? I currently have a fairly new set of a Goma 2.4 (front) and Saguaro 2.35 (rear) that I'd really like to get some use out of on my QR Bontrager Rhythm rims. Any issues on tire clearance with any of these frames?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mtbr member
    I have the M02 frame and 2.4s fit with room to spare.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    (...)For those that have a 1 1/8 fork, what has been your experience in using some type of conversion kit (assuming cane creek I guess)?(...)
    You just need something like this:https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...menu=1000,4,40
    It's pretty standard and you can chose one from several brands, like cane creak, FSA, etc...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the replies. I think I may purchase the Workswell 062 frame. This frame comes in 18.5" and 20" sizes. I normally ride a 19" GF that is just about right...maybe a little small. For those that have Workswell bikes, do the run small or large in size? At just under 5'11 (33 inseam), would the 20" WW 062 fit better for me?

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    They run small in length, and large in standover.

Basically, in order to get "modern" geometry, you've gotta size up and get comfortable with have less standover.

Me personally, I want to be able to run my saddle centered on my seatpost and my stem as short as possible while still having adequate standover.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

Epic rider

Chinese Carbon 29er

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    They run small in length, and large in standover.

Basically, in order to get "modern" geometry, you've gotta size up and get comfortable with have less standover.

Me personally, I want to be able to run my saddle centered on my seatpost and my stem as short as possible while still having adequate standover.
    You are forgetting the "old" geometry steering angle. It has a classic XC geometry, size accordingly.
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    The WW 062 isn't really "old school" has it has the same geo numbers as the 2015 Stumpjumper with 430mm chainstays. However I wouldn't really say it has modern trail geo either. I'm running mine as a SS with a 100mm Sid and it handles really good and is a nice addition to my trail bike. For my tastes anyway.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Nino Schurter is running a 70mm stem on his new 29er. He ran a 90mm on his 275 Scott. On both bikes the saddle is pretty far forward. He runs similar 69 or 70 degree HTA and 51mm offset forks.

If Nino can win races with a 70mm against the best competition in the world, you can run a 70mm on a chinese carbon bike.

Size up, especially if you've got the standover.

Anecdotal evidence: I've got a riding buddy who has got years of experience. He's a great rider, but he made the mistake of buying his "dream bike" based around thinking he needed a 110mm stem. Now he's got a bike that isn't very stable going downhill and about 15" of seatpost exposed.

That being said, there are still a lot of pros, and a lot of Joes who prefer longer stems and more traditional cockpit setups. I'm not one of them. I love my short stem and wide bars and despite the fact that I run a 125mm dropper post with setback, I'm disappointed that I need setback in order to get the room in the cockpit. I feel like my weight is too far backward, but I absolutely refuse to run anything longer than 60mm stems.

I wish I would've sized up.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    BXCc, didn't you convert yours to 27+? What tires/rims do you have and how's your clearance? Still like it that way? Is your's an 18.5 or 20"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    If Nino can win races with a 70mm against the best competition in the world, you can run a 70mm on a chinese carbon bike.

Size up, especially if you've got the standover.
    I'm pretty sure he could kick my butt on a Huffy even if I was on an E-bike!
    That being said, bike sizing can really depend on riding style and preference. A buddy of mine is pretty much the same size as I am but likes his "saddle to handlebar" measurement much shorter than I do. At 5'11", I really could have went either way and would have been fine. I could even go to my preferred 760mm bars, keep the 60mm stem, and do away with the setback post and be fine. I definitely like the short CS trend though and that is one of the main reasons I went with the WW over the others as they all have 440mm CS's or longer. So the short answer is, I really like the way my bike rides as it is but it may not be for everyone.

Yes I ran it as a 27+ for a short time. I found that it I wanted a true plus bike with plenty of rollover for my local terrain. So I went with the WW 078 Plus bike frame and built it up as a 29+ and put the 062 as the SS with 29x2.2 tires. I had 30mm internal rims with WTB Trailblazer 27.5x2.8 tires on it and the clearance was sufficient. I can't recommend going much bigger though. And it's the 18.5" frame. My Plus frame from them is the same 18.5".

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hey there. New to the forum.

I've been trying to look for a 29" frame that has boost spacing in the rear. Also prefered with short chainstay and somewhat modern geometry.
    Anyone know if there is a chinese company making 29" frames with 12x148mm spacing?
    And i dont want a "plus" sized frame with that elevated chainstay.

Already got LB-wheels with DT 240s hubs (Boost) thats why im looking for a boost frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    I had 30mm internal rims with WTB Trailblazer 27.5x2.8 tires on it and the clearance was sufficient. I can't recommend going much bigger though. And it's the 18.5" frame. My Plus frame from them is the same 18.5".
    Were those rims from XMCarbonspeed or 27.5 rims you had laying around? Any issues with customer service? At this point, it's between Flyxii and WW for my purchase. I really like the FR202 head angle/design, but I'm concerned about it only having 135mm dropouts. I know everything is going to Boost, but I don't want to be two generations of axle technology behind, despite having 135mm QR wheels.

mtbr member
    The rims are from Nextie and I pulled the wheels off of my SC 5010 to give the 27+ thing a try. I haven't compared the HA's of the frame options lately but I do remember the WW frame being the only one with shortish chainstays. For rims, it's tough to beat the price and service from Peter at XMCARBONSPEED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Davajn,

CS-M24 3 years warranty 27.5+ plus hardtail mtb carbon frame/seatpost/clamp(except to Norway) - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd
    is one I can think of
    ask them about the geometry yourself, but don't expect EPO-like RC measurement as the BB in the photos is forward of the seat tube's projection, not rearward
    oh, and square ST means no dropper post

Apex designed some too, with round seat tubes: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...UtITTFTZEZMWEk
    they may or may not have a sample in your size lying nearby, but it's gonna cost more than the other option either way (was $650 for frame only, shipped to US, plus the SWIFT fee, which is like $40)

and they only had 16" and 18" size molds last I asked (in April)

I can put you in contact with them, though
    actually, I'd split the frameset with you should you go for it as I want that rigid fork

but these are both 27.5+ frames so max chainring size is sacrificed for rear tire clearance
    probably 32 or 34t max unless you increase the chainline with flipped RF chainring or something like that

upd: if only you'd googled it yourself
    http://www.wcmbike.com/product_detail.php?sid=53&id=372
    http://www.pavisports.com/shop/produ...ountain-frame/

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    So with frames that have interchangeable dropouts, do you have to go back to the online store if you break them? Or are dropouts somewhat standardized where I could pick up a set from CRC or Jenson?

Formerly of Kent
    So with frames that have interchangeable dropouts, do you have to go back to the online store if you break them? Or are dropouts somewhat standardized where I could pick up a set from CRC or Jenson?
    Just buy an extra set for $10 when you buy your frame. As opposed to $10 and who knows what for shipping later on. And a long wait, potentially.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Rltw, Le Duke. Thanks for the idea. I'm curious for those that have bought, particularly from flyxii and workswell, did you use PayPal direct or PayPal through eBay?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Read about thirty pages of this thread and finally went ahead and starting looking at the frames and what not... there are 5 different 29'er frames, how can i even begin to understand the differences with them all? Any insight? I don't have experience hand building a bike, but I want to learn, and want to give it a go - but I need a starting point as to what i'm looking at.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm in the process as well, TR. I think you need to find out what you want out of the bike and work from there. Me? I want somewhat of a XC/AM type of bike.

So next is to figure out what type of Geometry fits what you want to do. So for me, and I am relatively new to this, I've identified Head Angle and Chain Stay length as important. I've read a few articles on Modern Frame Geometry from PinkBike and Singletracks that have helped (if I recall the sites correctly).

Once you've figured out what you're looking for, crawl through this thread and Chinertown.com for recommendations on sellers.

For me, I've looked at Flyxii.com, which seems to be the cheapest, but might have QC issues from time to time; XMCarbonspeed, who has been great to deal with, but also one of the more expensive options; Workswell, which has a decent thread on Chinertown.com; XMIPlay, which was XMCarbonspeed's old company...and then some of the rest...ICAN, DENGFU, HONGFU..etc.

Hope this helps get you started. Highly recommend Chinertown. Hate the name, but a lot of good info there.

mtbr member
    Yesterday, i received fresh CS-057. Compared to 2013-2014 version of IP-057, that i currently have, it has new dropouts, new carbon steerer cups (metal previously) and some neat details like front derailleur cable stop, turned a little bit, to straighten the load. Also, it is around 20-30 grams lighter than older version.
    XMCarbonSpeed CS-057 29er custom build
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/2293724

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Who did you order from? Xmcarbonspeed?

mtbr member
    Who did you order from? Xmcarbonspeed?
    Yes, from Peter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I wonder how the 057 prices compare between the various stores
    this is it too, isn't it: 29er Carbon Frame - Quality 29er Mountain Bike Carbon Frame Yoeleo ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
    I wonder how the 057 prices compare between the various stores
    this is it too, isn't it: 29er Carbon Frame - Quality 29er Mountain Bike Carbon Frame Yoeleo ?
    Yes, looks the same. But the price is huge. XMCarbonspeed CS-057 costs around 400 USD without shipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NazZaR View Post
    Yesterday, i received fresh CS-057. Compared to 2013-2014 version of IP-057, that i currently have, it has new dropouts, new carbon steerer cups (metal previously) and some neat details like front derailleur cable stop, turned a little bit, to straighten the load. Also, it is around 20-30 grams lighter than older version.
    Did the assembly today, and i can say that '2015 CS-057 is quite different from my previous '2013 IP-057.

The major change for me is of course, moving from bloody creaky BB30 to BSA, hope it will work as it should. It is paired to new Shimano SM-BB93 bottom bracket, and new Shimano SLX FC-M7000-2 crankset.

First of all, upper rear chainstays is quite flat now, and overall more compact, compared to previous, bulkier, rounder ones:
    Chinese Carbon 29er-1.jpg

Chinese Carbon 29er-2.jpg

Also, dropouts is completely different:
    Chinese Carbon 29er-3.jpg

Chinese Carbon 29er-4.jpg

Not only they is different shape now, they made only from one piece that is bolted directly to frame, compared to older one, where there was two pieces bolted together, and frame dropout sandwiched between:
    Chinese Carbon 29er-5.jpg

The steerer cups is now full carbon, no metal insert:
    Chinese Carbon 29er-7.jpg

Chinese Carbon 29er-6.jpg

Internal routing to the rear derailleur, has a liner inserted now, there was no liner previously. Hope this will cure the rusting cables problem:
    Chinese Carbon 29er-img_2239.jpg

Also, there is that turned cable stop, guiding cable to front derailleur:
    Chinese Carbon 29er-img_2242.jpg

And drain hole, now made not in the middle of downtube, but somewhat behind the BB area. Still not in the lowest point of frame, but it is much closer to where it needs to be now:
    Chinese Carbon 29er-img_2251.jpg

Completed bike, with freshly arrived SiD, will test drive it tomorrow.
    Chinese Carbon 29er-img_2252.jpg

mtbr member
    Very nice. I like the picture of the fully built up bike! I had a -057 from 2013 and sold it but it was a very solid frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Nice looking bike NazZar! I know you've had some issues from reading this thread, hopefully no more!

I don't recall seeing this seller in the thread or over at Chinertown...anyone know anything about Trident Thrust? I like the geometry/price/interchangeable dropouts...

2016 THRUST carbon MTB frame 27.5er Mountain bicycle frameset 142*12mm thru AXle frame UD matte or glossy Frame+headset+clamp-in Bicycle Frame from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Also, for those that have purchased through aliexpress, any buyer protection like on eBay? Or are you truly alone on aliexpress?

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike NazZar! I know you've had some issues from reading this thread, hopefully no more!

I don't recall seeing this seller in the thread or over at Chinertown...anyone know anything about Trident Thrust? I like the geometry/price/interchangeable dropouts...

2016 THRUST carbon MTB frame 27.5er Mountain bicycle frameset 142*12mm thru AXle frame UD matte or glossy Frame+headset+clamp-in Bicycle Frame from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Also, for those that have purchased through aliexpress, any buyer protection like on eBay? Or are you truly alone on aliexpress?
    70 degree head angle based off of what length fork? It might not be what you hope for if it's based off of a 120mm fork.

mtbr member
    Today's ride on the road went pretty well. Bike is solid, nothing creaks, feels pretty comfy. Though, moving from 660mm riser to 700mm flat bar seems to be a little bit tough - much more weight on my wrists now, they get tired after some time. I need to decide whether i use riser or flat on the MTB marathon with some big uphills and rough downhills next week.