Page 169 of 325 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 179 219 269 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,225 of 8105
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi guys, new member but I've been lurking in this thread for sometime.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an LTK023. However I understand that some people recieve frames with defects, obviously I want to avoid this. I was wondering who are the best people (Xiamen, Miracle, etc.) to buy off assuming prices were similar and also who to avoid?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Does the 156 q factor version of the xx1 crank work with these frames? I'm assuming it does, but want to make sure before i order.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    [QUOTE=CarManDSL;9922781]
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I'm posting these pictures for jdubb12, this isn't my bike. Mine is a few pages back.

Awesome.

What rim and hub specs?
    What seat post?

"Very stiff compared to Stumpjumper"
    Can you describe the difference in more detail? Stiffer frame/harsher ride?
    China carbon rims dt350 hubs revolution spokes
    Bontrager china seatpost 200g

My first ride on it was a little harsh but that could be the carbon wheels not just the frame, second ride I got use to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantreams View Post
    Does the 156 q factor version of the xx1 crank work with these frames? I'm assuming it does, but want to make sure before i order.
    Yes that's what I'm running on mine.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=jdubb12;9923644]
    Quote Originally Posted by CarManDSL View Post

China carbon rims dt350 hubs revolution spokes
    Bontrager china seatpost 200g

My first ride on it was a little harsh but that could be the carbon wheels not just the frame, second ride I got use to it.
    I take it you bought the rims and built up yourself?

Can you elaborate on the ride differences between carbon StumpJumper HT and the China frame?
    What sort of terrain are you riding?
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

need a crown race reducer

hey need your help,

i am in the process of building up my hf056. It appears I have the neco 373 headset to fit the tapered steerer tube. i have rockshox reba dual air forks with 1 1/8 steerer tube. I need to get a crown race reducer so i can fit the forks but not sure which one to get. i'm sure i read it here somewhere but can't find it again.

cane creek or FSA i think. how much will it cost? easy to fit?

all info greatly appreciated
    cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    beautiful bike

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Same folks that leverage for the tax cuts are hoping to deliver the final blow to what's left of our middle class by going after unions.
    Wow, that is some awesomeness: 16 months after I post this, I get some neg rep for it. Ha! I love it. "More to come" the anonymous neg-repper says. Bring it and my KY jelly, Puddingbunz, cuz I love me some interwebz sexy lovin!
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

obsessive
    Quote Originally Posted by CarManDSL View Post
    With UD and matte, can you still see the carbon sheen a bit?

Is the internal cable routing lined with a tube? Others have had problems with this so I wonder what your experience will be.
    Yes, the magic fibers show through the UD matte with that holographic sheen...

The plastic tube(s) that come in the frame are a tool, not a part of the bike. Feed the bare cable through the tube, pull the tube over the cable to remove it, then back-feed the housing over the cable to push through the frame. Full-length housings work here. To change cables, pull out the housing, push the tube over the cable, and pull out the cable to return to step one.
    Go out and ride your bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    [QUOTE=CarManDSL;9923715]
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubb12 View Post

I take it you bought the rims and built up yourself?

Can you elaborate on the ride differences between carbon StumpJumper HT and the China frame?
    What sort of terrain are you riding?
    Yes I built up the wheels.

I live in Colorado so I ride rocky and smoothe trail.
    Power transfer seems a little better when climbing, other than that is just stiffer in the seat and chain stay area. It's very fast, going for a 4 hour ride today so I will have a better idea of how it feels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just finished a 50km race through Forrest in Victoria, amazing course and scenery! Bike felt fast and very comfortable. The common themes were present, fast along flowing singletrack, hills and fireroad, some awkward moments in tight switchbacks. On the few technical sections over logs where my skills were lacking the big wheels made up for it. I purchased a Chinese titanium 29er with sliding 142x12 dropouts which will arrive next week so it will be interesting to see what difference a shorter chainstay will make on those switchbacks.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/...2-02155904.jpg
    http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/...8/BJ-29420.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    As long as it looks fast, then no reason not to get one. After all, looking fast is half of it.

mtbr member

Hope Anyone able to do a ride report or purchase experience on these frames

I originally found this frame on Ebay under the climax brand but have since found the fame only with an alloy BB insert from the manufacturer on Alibaba for $345USD.

Mountain bike 29er full carbon frame,View full carbon frame,(OEM) Product Details from QUAN TUAN HOU COMPOSITE TECHNOLOGY COMPANY on Alibaba.com

Is anyone able to do a ride report or purchase experience on these frames? They seem to have everything going for it ie tapered & 70.5 deg short HT as well as short 429mm CS & it's made in Taiwan...

Thanx in advance to any feedback.

Unfortunately I've only been able to DL the images of the ebay carbon PFBB92 version.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon 29er-4.jpg  

Chinese Carbon 29er-3.jpg  

Chinese Carbon 29er-5.jpg  

Chinese Carbon 29er-bm-01-all-size1.jpg  

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Interesting....the first cheap carbon frame in my geo. I would be keen to hear more about it too. what is the tyre clearance?

Formerly of Kent
    For an XC (race) bike, I must admit I find the short chain stay trend slightly perplexing.

Personally, I like the "normal" chainstays, as they allow mud to clear the seat tube/chainstays, and there is no fouling of the FD, either.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    For an XC (race) bike, I must admit I find the short chain stay trend slightly perplexing.

Personally, I like the "normal" chainstays, as they allow mud to clear the seat tube/chainstays, and there is no fouling of the FD, either.
    I agree for the most part...my current bike is 440ish and perfect for general xc. In fact shorter would not suit me for seated steep climbs or long days int he saddle. That depends a bit on where you put your saddle ont he rails and your body shape though. This frame interests me as a SS, so short stays for out of saddle climbing and jsut a differnt feel and use....no deralieur to worry about, but keen to know what the limitations on tyre size are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just went to a local bike shop today and saw a Focus frame and I it is identical to the Avenger frame other than the head tube design on the avenger, they wanted $2500 frame only!! That's one expensive paint job!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

i am just the opposite. chainstays are not short enough on 29ers. more nimble, better standup traction and race geo. seems like most frames that are short chainstays are also too slack on the headtube negating any nimbleness.

mud clearance? ride in the mud and leave ruts the rest of the year and degrade the trails. mud destroys bearings and brakes. no thanks

i am very interested in this frame. now make one SS and i will buy one of each!!!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    i am just the opposite. chainstays are not short enough on 29ers. more nimble, better standup traction and race geo. seems like most frames that are short chainstays are also too slack on the headtube negating any nimbleness.

mud clearance? ride in the mud and leave ruts the rest of the year and degrade the trails. mud destroys bearings and brakes. no thanks

i am very interested in this frame. now make one SS and i will buy one of each!!!
    Some places in the world, it is necessary to ride when wet, or you simply wouldn't ever ride. That, and trail degradation is more or less non-existant from said riding. There are massive differences in soil composition that change how the soil sheds and retains water, how it binds together, how it erodes, etc.

obsessive
    This is my Chinese carbon bicycle. There are many like it, but this one is mine... The war-weary rifleman in me is often more of a millstone than a talisman. I ride hard to keep him quiet, but today he offered a solution.

It is said that when buying imported arms, eastern-front captures or CETME parts guns and the like, that one is not buying a rifle, but a project. The same is true here.

The brake bosses didn't fit my KCNC post-to-IS brake adapter for my old Hope brake set. Easy fix:

Which is all fine and good. But fitting the 1/4" Goodridge hose is another issue entirely. After forcing and cussing, the rifleman said I should always pull from breech to bore. Of course, OTIS! Old shift cable and a few "patches" cut from scotchbrite:

20 pulls later, and the hose is feeding through. A little silicone spray and a pull cord, and I'm on my way. Okay, Soldier, you've got my six, and I'll watch yours if you stay quiet when I'm in charge.
    Go out and ride your bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    this looks a lot similar...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    this looks a lot similar...

Looks similar, but the dropouts are different.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just a quick update - I received my FR216 in 17" a few days ago. The frame looks fantastic, inside and out (at least as far as I can see inside with a flashlight). The finish is uniform, very smooth, and there is nothing I can find to suggest that it's anything other than a high-end carbon frame.

I'm still waiting for a few odds and ends to be delivered, before assembling the whole bike.

My initial goal was to build this up as a SS 29-er with suspension fork, and not using a bunch of junked out parts, for under $1K. I will be able to meet that goal due to being part of an active and very friendly cycling community. 2 different local guys have helped me out with the "hookup" on new take-off parts, as well as some outright "gimme's" from a local bike shop owner.

I promise to take pics and get them posted as I complete the build. For now, herre's a price breakdown of the rig I'm putting together for my wife.

Description Source Cost
    Reba Fork 1-1/8 straight steerer Private Party 90
    Wheels, Rotors, Skewers (Bontrager Mustang), new take-offs Private Party 180
    Cranks, BB, & Chainring - new take-offs Private Party 60
    Brakes (2 setups) Tektro mechanical & Hayes nine Hub 50
    Frame (FR 216) - 17" with BSA bottom bracket a_baygoods 359
    Seat, Post & tensioner Private Party 50
    Chain Private Party 0
    Seatpost clamp Nashbar 8
    Tires (Racing Ralph & Nobby Nic) ebikestop 65
    Tubes Nashbar 10
    grips Nashbar 12

Handlebar - aluminum riser MTB Nashbar 15
    Stem - 80mm Nashbar 21
    spacer - 40mm will cut to length ebikestop 10
    rear cog 20T ebikestop 7
    HS adapter (lower race from 1-1/2 to 1-1/8") ebikestop 15
    Pedals Already had

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How are you guys linking to Excel spreadsheets?

mtbr member

My IP/FM-056

My frame arrived yesterday morning, and I wasted no time. I started my build at 7pm and had her done (just about) by 9. All that's left to do is route the brake hose through the frame, which I'll get to today. For now it's fixed to the frame with some electrical tape. Here's my build:

IP-056 from Peter at Xiamen.
    17.5" BB30 UD gloss
    Reba SL 90mm - used from a friend's 2010 Stumpjumper Comp.
    w/ Cane Creek reducer race

Drivetrain (all brand new except for cranks):
    X0 crankset 2x10 39/26 175mm (stole it for $160 shipped off craigslist!)
    X9 Shifters 2x10
    X9 rear der type 2 med cage
    X9 front der high clamp 34.9mm dual pull
    KMC X10 chain

Brakes:
    Elixir 9 160mm F&R

Wheels & Tires:
    Crest 29er stock wheelset
    Maxxis Ikon 2.2 F&R with Stan's sealant

Cockpit:
    Thomson 27.2mm post with reducer shim. Post is 12 years old from my previous mountain bikes, and still kicking!
    Specialized Phenom SL 143mm
    Cheap Ritchey stem I had in a box, 110mm. I'll get a Thomson X4 once I figure out what size I want.
    Truvativ Noir carbon bars 600mm (as soon as I have the cash I'm getting something carbon and 700mm)

Pedals:
    Eggbeater 3's off my old bike.

On my cheap bathroom scale it's about 22lbs as pictured. I'll get a real weight soon enough.

All in with my team sponsorship and some crafty craiglist/ebay scouring, I'm into this bike for about $1,800. Couldn't be happier! Here it is: