Page 15 of 184 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    Loser
    Mar 2008
    Anyone think I would run into issues running a FOX 32 TALAS 29 FIT RLC on the Hong-Fu HF053 frame?

It has 120mm of travel, but can be switched to 95mm with the TALAS system. I found a killer deal on one last night and pulled the gun...but I can get a standard 100mm Float if this is going to risk damaging the frame or ruining the geometry/ride characteristics.

Opinions?

mtbr member
    Hi, I believe the frames geometry is designed around running a fork with 80 - 100 mm travel. I guess running your TALAS at 120 would be at your own risk. But then again ordering any carbon frame from china is at your own risk anyways since warranty does not really exist in that most buyers probably wont bother to ship something back to China for warranty when the cost of shipping is nearly half of what the frame was bought for in the first place. Asides from that,

The 120mm setting on the TALAS will ultimately put more stress on your headtube, whether or not the HongFu headtube can handle this stress, no one knows. Alot of factors come into play such as riders weight, how aggressive you ride all come into play so it is impossible to tell if or when the headtube will be gameover. Perhaps it never will. Your seat tube angle would be more slack aswell so more stress on the seat tube. I would just stick with max 100mm fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So how does the paint thing work with these companies? I've been going through this and the RBR bike threads, and while I'm seeing a few bikes that people have had painted in China, I haven't been able to find any descriptions of the process - does the internet contact person just send you a vector file to do you design on, and then you go from there, based on how involved your desgin is? Are there any other restrictions (besides copyrighted material, I assume) in what you can have them do, or is it dependent on the manufacturer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't think there's any copyright issues, just taste issues.

Ask them about it, but I think people were basically drawing things up in Photoshop from what it seemed and then the bike manufacturer had someone email back a photoshopped photo of what they'll do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Anyone think I would run into issues running a FOX 32 TALAS 29 FIT RLC on the Hong-Fu HF053 frame?

It has 120mm of travel, but can be switched to 95mm with the TALAS system. I found a killer deal on one last night and pulled the gun...but I can get a standard 100mm Float if this is going to risk damaging the frame or ruining the geometry/ride characteristics.

Opinions?
    FunnyJR is right on about this.
    But how much do you weigh and what size frame ?
    I am a lightweight on a size medium and will be putting a multi stage fork on it. for descending at 120 climbing at 100, but my descents are rather dainty compared to allot of you guys. Otherwise.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Opinions?
    But how much do you weigh and what size frame ? Why would the ride characteristics be messed up if you can change them to within spec depending on what type of terrain you are on ?
    I am a lightweight on a size medium and will be putting a multi stage fork on it. for descending at 120 climbing at 100, but my descents are rather dainty compared to allot of you guys. Otherwise.....

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by glovemtb View Post
    But how much do you weigh and what size frame ? Why would the ride characteristics be messed up if you can change them to within spec depending on what type of terrain you are on ?

It's going to be on a 19" frame. I'm probably 155lbs with all my gear on my back. My concern is the change in ride characteristics/loading conditions when the 120mm mode is engaged.

I think I will experiment with both TALAS settings and if it has adverse effects in 120mm mode, I will ride strictly 95mm. I just hope the fork performance is consistent at both settings. I got an amazing deal on the TALAS fork, and to go to a 100mm regular float would cost me about 180 bucks, so I don't think the change would be worth it.

mtbr member
    It's going to be on a 19" frame. I'm probably 155lbs with all my gear on my back. My concern is the change in ride characteristics/loading conditions when the 120mm mode is engaged.

I think I will experiment with both TALAS settings and if it has adverse effects in 120mm mode, I will ride strictly 95mm. I just hope the fork performance is consistent at both settings. I got an amazing deal on the TALAS fork, and to go to a 100mm regular float would cost me about 180 bucks, so I don't think the change would be worth it.
    I've also found some 120mm cheaper than just the straight 100mm. If you don't engage the 120 at all then your basically just running a 100mm and it shouldn't have any adverse effect on the bike, what I be correct in thinking that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

155 lbs on a 19 ? Naw, man you are good to go then. You won't do anything wrong if you try it at 120mm on the long downhills and just leave short the rest of the time or depending on conditions or courses run 120mm and slacken the 71.5 head angle and raise the bb/pedal clearance for some courses.
    I am pretty finicky about handling of my bikes (I am running an angleset on my Tallboy to get the exact head angle I was looking for), I run 2 and 3 stage forks all the time so I can adjust for conditions and never notice any big scary discrepancy in handling.

As long as you have the clearance (a tire hitting the down tube is a catastrophic event. I would let the air out of fork and check tire clearance at both settings. (I don't mean to suggest that a longer setting will do that it, I just always check that cause of all the wild setups I run. tip: if you run a multi-angle headset, it would be something to check on the steeper setting. )
    It's the leverage rates for the longer fork more than anything.

If you take a look at my guided tour video of the frame (see my previous pathetic rambling post) you can see that the downtube is fairly beefy down tube on that frame.
    Your fork is tapered right ? I mean why would you buy a brand new straight 1&8th for a tapered head tube.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 06-18-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by glovemtb View Post
    155 lbs on a 19 ? Naw, man you are good to go then. You won't do anything wrong if you try it at 120mm on the long downhills and just leave short the rest of the time or depending on conditions or courses run 120mm and slacken the 71.5 head angle and raise the bb/pedal clearance for some courses.
    I am pretty finicky about handling of my bikes (I am running an angleset on my Tallboy to get the exact head angle I was looking for), I run 2 and 3 stage forks all the time so I can adjust for conditions and never notice any big scary discrepancy in handling.

As long as you have the clearance (a tire hitting the down tube is a catastrophic event. I would let the air out of fork and check tire clearance at both settings. (I don't mean to suggest that a longer setting will do that it, I just always check that cause of all the wild setups I run. tip: if you run a multi-angle headset, it would be something to check on the steeper setting. )
    It's the leverage rates for the longer fork more than anything.

If you take a look at my guided tour video of the frame (see my previous pathetic rambling post) you can see that the downtube is fairly beefy down tube on that frame.
    Your fork is tapered right ? I mean why would you buy a brand new straight 1&8th for a tapered head tube.
    The fork is tapered with a 15qr thru axle. I can't wait to get all my stuff here so I can start building. It looks like I'll have all my stuff before the frame arrives. My wallet hates me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Hong Fu Delivery

Quote Originally Posted by Intense01 View Post
    I ordered a matte carbon 12k finish frame from Jenny at Hong Fu on May 13th. She keeps delaying the ship date. Anyone else ever experience this with them? She said I would have it by the end of May and now she says it won't ship until the 6th. IT isn't a huge deal but I don't want my Paypal refund window to close if I don't get what I ordered.

Anyone who has ordered from Jenny please chime in. Thank you.
    Intense01 - Have you received word on your frame order yet?
    Mine supposedly shipped but appears to have not left Chania yet after a week!
    Getting a little impatient
    Curious how you are doing with your order

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The fork is tapered with a 15qr thru axle. I can't wait to get all my stuff here so I can start building. It looks like I'll have all my stuff before the frame arrives. My wallet hates me.
    Very cool. Sooner or later I will get a tapered when I order a new one.

My frame was 7 days from shipper to the south east usa.

Update on build:
    They do pretty damn good craftsmanship. Every bit as nice as the big boys carbon frames I have had (over 25 years quite a few ). Alignment looks good, cable guides & stops all perfect, threads don't need taping, headset cups perfect (see my previous post on cup depth), nice touch of a water drain hole at the bottom of the frame (even though once you build and add fork it is not far enough down for my liking). Brake post mount tab alignment good. (brake pm threads look good probably be good to watch your torque on those as usual but maybe more so.)
    Only thing I have had to do was align the hanger. (fairly stout hanger btw.)
    3k wraps show some very slight layup angle imperfections but the absolutely perfect matte paint job hides it well.
    I guess if I had one wish it would be for a bit thicker seat stays even though they are the thickest of the current batch of 29er clones. (I am not looking for the flex stays like one of the models of the dengfu and others build in to the mountain bikes as I have a FS bike already.) IMHO I have never liked flex stays, or break away stays....
    Only other complaint is they sent me 3k by accident and I guess they thought was okay because that is their lightest weave and really an upgrade. Actually I wanted the 12k for "maybe" a little burlier outer layer.
    That is the only rub with the "Chinese Connection", is if they don't get the order correct......with the shipping distance it is a wait for the corrections. So you face the same problem if you have an issue like a carbon crack or something. (another good reason to watch those ultra-thin flex-seat stays on some models)
    (Many times Trek had a new bike in the mail to me while my frame with the issue had just gotten to the dealer. Once I only lost 2 days ride time.)

But HungFu does some quality work and delivers an awesome deal for the price.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 06-20-2011 at 04:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    yikes, computer has gone haywire.

mtbr member
    A friend and I ordered frames and accessories from Dengfu. Tony threw in 2 free hangers ($4 value haha).

Paypaled on 6/15, items shipped 6/18. EMS to CA should take a few days. Will update once everything comes in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon 29er-stuff.jpg  

mtbr member
    Shouldn't the Paypay charge @ .37% be only $4.18?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I thought it was 3.7%. Maybe its a typo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wow got my 4 frames in amazing at $320 each 2 matte black and 2 gloss painted 26" frames gonna be a nice fun build so amzingly light these look to be OCLV, not a defect on them if you told me these were Scott frames or Canondale carbon I would believe you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lachstar2 View Post
    I thought it was 3.7%. Maybe its a typo?
    That would be $41.81.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
    Wow got my 4 frames in amazing at $320 each 2 matte black and 2 gloss painted 26" frames gonna be a nice fun build so amzingly light these look to be OCLV, not a defect on them if you told me these were Scott frames or Canondale carbon I would believe you.
    Yes you did and we're still waiting for you to answer rubberhoe's question in post #695, where did you get them from?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Oh well, I might as well be the first to break the frame.

I did a two day race this weekend. And I think I hit a rock or something, a lot of running because of muddy conditions. The seat stay broke about 3/4 around in a circle on the first day. I put my tirelevers on the top- and downside of the stay, and then duct taped the hell out of it. In was fine on the second race day.

I will post pictures later today

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    Buy from China... CRUSH THE AMERICAN DREAM

RIP democracy, some dudes are buying things from other countries.

Not to take this thread off topic but that is a ridiculously oversimplified take on a very complicated topic. The American dream has been crushed more by tax cuts that benefit the ultra rich and increase globalization without benefiting the average American.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitized View Post

I did a two day race this weekend. And I think I hit a rock or something, a lot of running because of muddy conditions. The seat stay broke about 3/4 around in a circle on the first day. I put my tirelevers on the top- and downside of the stay, and then duct taped the hell out of it. In was fine on the second race day.

How long have you had the frame and who did you buy it from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    That would be $41.81.
    I know, just remember when I brought a 26" frame from dengfu it was 3.7%. Not sure why it's different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi!

Is there any chinese FS 29er frames available?

mtbr member

White mat carbon frame

Has anyone ordered white mat carbon frame from Hong Fu or from Goto Bike?
    Hong Fu offers it, but they don´t have pictures.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ordered a 29" frame from yybikes in UD finish

mtbr member

Sorry to hear that your frame gave out but I thought those seat stays looked a bit thin when I first saw pics of your frame. Did it take much to snap the seat stay? do you remember exactly at what point the seat stay gave out? like were you taking a drop or something? what china dealer did the frame come from?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kibsen View Post
    Ordered a 29" frame from yybikes in UD finish
    Was it white and matte? Could You post pictures please?
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

mtbr member

That is a bummer... any reason you can think of why?

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Sorry to hear that your frame gave out but I thought those seat stays looked a bit thin when I first saw pics of your frame. Did it take much to snap the seat stay? do you remember exactly at what point the seat stay gave out? like were you taking a drop or something? what china dealer did the frame come from?
    Reading back through the thread it looks like he had an LTK023 from LT Bikes.

mtbr member
    Reading back through the thread it looks like he had an LTK023 from LT Bikes.
    Hmm that's the one I'm thinking of getting...The LTK023 from LT Bikes.

mtbr member
    The seat stays on the internal routing frames look a lot thinner than the non internal routing frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here is a post with some pics of the differences.
    I won't tangent on flex stays anymore.
    Just to say I know the big big kahuna's like Scott & Canny probably spend allot of R&D time figuring out the fatigue cycles their designed "suspension" stays can go thru....
    Completely Different and New Chinese Carbon 29er Frames On Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    It certainly looks quite different. Also, gotobikes now is offering internal cable routing and bb30.

Be careful if you are not looking for 29er "flex stays" that is designed into many companies models for instance. http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...-review-26798/
    (any similarity in the seat stays on the scott and the frames at bottom left ?

I personally am looking for a hardtail that minimizing flex for my application. ynmv

I am not sure that the distinction has really been made clear in some of the chinese/taiwan/etc frames that are now showing up.
    The picture of course could be deceiving so imho and just guessing.

see on the left vs on the far right.
    Remember this is all speculation as the chinese clone makers have not cleary stated in ads for their frames those stays are designed to flex.
    Flex stays are nothing new, they have been around for many years Trek (the old TopFuel suspension), Canny (many models) etc.
    http://mtbnnetwork.blogspot.com/2007...rbon-flex.html
    Now the bikes in the above links are a VERY different kinda flex (chain stays flex the most in those bikes) than the little bit of flex designed into allot of the 29ers out now.
    I will say though, I would imagine just making a thin seat stay by copying a design may not be the best way to "design" a little flexion in. imho.

Also, you are gonna have stays break no matter what. Sometimes there are just failures. Just ask anyone who has ever ridden a jet9...okay, now that was uncalled for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon 29er-scott949.jpg  

Last edited by glovemtb; 06-22-2011 at 03:14 AM.

mtbr member
    if anyone will break one it will be me lol Im sure if its going to break it will be the first ride as im a Clyde
    Im 1 step closer as my homebrew chainrings came today... so hot
    just need the Beer BB to turn up now
    Josh

mtbr member
    Just want to inform everyone NOT TO BUY FROM DENGFU!!!

This guy is bull****tting saying he never got the payment...

i suggest you report this news to police.
    also can you send me news who send your the tracking number?
    i never send your tracking number.
    because i have not receive your payment so i have not shipping those frame.

can you have my email address?
    i think this is cogged website.
    i am really have not send you email.
    just i check all email again.

A PayPal disputes been opened and the payment was made with an Amex via PayPal.

Anyone know what else to do to get the money back faster?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Probably placing an order with DengFu tonight. I previously ordered my road bike from them (and received it under a week). I dealt with Mina but my paypal was to Tony.

Who were you dealing with and where did yous end your paypal payment?

Are you cutting/pasting what they said to you?

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rubberhoe View Post

mtbr member
    @steve

Dealt with Tony the whole way. Yes it is copy paste of his email.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

also open a dispute with AMEX immediately!!!

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Has anyone decided on a seatpost for their HF053 from Hong Fu?

Based on the drawings I got, it appears to accept a 34.9mm post. Does anyone know of something decent (preferably carbon) that won't break the bank?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Based on the drawings I got, it appears to accept a 34.9mm post. Does anyone know of something decent (preferably carbon) that won't break the bank?
    Hong-Fu frames take a 31.6 seat post. It's on their drawings, clearly marked on the seat post tube.

mtbr member
    @Satanpez, got your PM but I can't reply since I dont have more than 15 posts. PM me your email addy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just received my frame from Hong-fu. I ordered this on Tues June 14 and rec'd it on Tues June 21. I got a matte black 19 and it looks good. The cable guides are a little wacky in that they are somewhat on the lower sides of the top tube and are fairly large. I can deal with it-I just haven't seen this before (or at least I've never noticed this particular positioning).

The packing was very good and I was surprised at how light the box was when it was delivered.

Build will start soon.
    Last edited by twang55; 06-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Call AMEX. Things will go much faster for you...

mtbr member
    PayPal just refunded the money. They said the seller agreed to a refund. Which is weird since Dengfu said they had no record of receiving payment.

I'll be placing an order with Hongfu soon.

mtbr member

The clamp should be 34.9mm.

mtbr member
    Hi,
    Could you please link me to the frame you purchased?
    I"m 6' tall / 210 lbs ... guess the 19" is about my size, huh?

this will be my first 29er.

--------------
    Quote Originally Posted by twang55 View Post
    Just received my frame from Hong-fu. I ordered this on Tues June 14 and rec'd it on Tues June 21. I got a matte black 19 and it looks good. The cable guides are a little wacky in that they are somewhat on the lower sides of the top tube and are fairly large. I can deal with it-I just haven't seen this before (or at least I've never noticed this particular positioning).

The packing was very good and I was surprised at how light the box was when it was delivered.

Build will start soon.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nath8 View Post
    Hong-Fu frames take a 31.6 seat post. It's on their drawings, clearly marked on the seat post tube.
    My bad...guess I was looking at the seatpost clamp dimension.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yo Dengfu hooked me up, $320 4 26" carbon frames took them to LBS, compared them to some Carbon Scott and Carbon Cannondale frames they are just as good OCLV 2 matte and 2 gloss black painted, of course I was carefull and fully expected to get ripped off I took safety precautions. But I did not shipping was great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I can't post links due to my post count, but just google it...."hongfu bikes" should be enough to get you there

I'm a little taller and about the same weight. 19 should be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    Hi,
    Could you please link me to the frame you purchased?
    I"m 6' tall / 210 lbs ... guess the 19" is about my size, huh?

this will be my first 29er.

--------------

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi!

I have two questions!

1) Have you guys figured out where all those chinese copys originally came from, someone guessed specialized, is that correct?

2) Is there any cheap FS 29er frames available from china yet? Or have you any guess then it might show up?