Page 15 of 324 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    well I'm looking at getting two 29er frames and I want to set one bike up with a carbon fork
    I was looking at alu m5 from sepecialized $ 810.00 msrp. Sepecialized carbon about 2,5000.00 Niner carbon 1,800.00 On-One about 900.00 I don't care if my bike has a name on it or not, no name and save some $$$.
    I would like to get in on a group buy but I have to sell my Salsa frames first.
    Thanks for all the info, I don't know who I'm going to buy from hong-fu or go to bikes,
    go to bikes has the 29er carbon fork.

mtbr member
    We finished building the Carbon 29er today.

It's still pretty heavy at 26 1/2 pounds. (12.02 Kg).

The next step is probably lighter wheels. Then maybe XO carbon cranks. But first I want to ride it a bit and see if I like carbon.

Here's the picture...

Mikey

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Let me know the details when they are solid. 17.5 the smallest?

29ering
    Jan 2011
    That carbon frame looks nice. Looks like the specialized s-works frame. Surprised it weighs a bit much, but not too bad for a 29er. I suppose the fact that it weighs more may mean it is a strong frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeGrazing
    That carbon frame looks nice. Looks like the specialized s-works frame. Surprised it weighs a bit much, but not too bad for a 29er. I suppose the fact that it weighs more may mean it is a strong frame?
    The frame itself is only 1200 grams.

It's the other stuff that weighs too much, the wheels and tires, the crankset, and the suspension fork.

Have you seen the weights of 29er tires?

Mikey

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by genuflektor
    No pics yet from the clearance. The rear tire in the image is an Albert 2,1 (but quite narrow I must say), now I have installed a Racing Ralph 2,25 to have a more cushy ride and clearance is on the limit (all installed on a Stans 355 rim) Not too much room in this frame for big tires.
    What's the weight of that baby! if I build one up it's going to be like yours.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hi,

I have received today this message from gotobikes:

Dear Mikel,
    How are you?
    We just get new stocking of 30 pcs of MTB753-29'' in 17.5'', UD finish.
    I show you photo and geometry.
    Price at USD500/pc for sample, USD400/pc when more than 10 pcs.
    If any you need pls keep me informed.
    Best regards!
    Loice

Anyone interested?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac
    What's the weight of that baby! if I build one up it's going to be like yours.
    10,3kg like in the picture. 1230gr for the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by genuflektor
    Finally the bike is ready and rolling.
    What fork is that, and how much does it weigh?

Mikey

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelDuke
    Hi,

I have received today this message from gotobikes:

Dear Mikel,
    How are you?
    We just get new stocking of 30 pcs of MTB753-29'' in 17.5'', UD finish.
    I show you photo and geometry.
    Price at USD500/pc for sample, USD400/pc when more than 10 pcs.
    If any you need pls keep me informed.
    Best regards!
    Loice

Anyone interested?
    Did they show photo ? I got the same thing (I had conversations with them about doing UD runs months ago and explained how would be more popular, and they said they would and then a couple of months later said "we have for you" & sent me a pick of 3k weave. The same ole pic that has been floating around.)
    If they can actually produce a pic of the UD (maybe with a matte clear coat I would be most appreciative and would sign up with you guys for a group order.)
    Still think it is a great frame if you are not too picky (like me ) on the exterior glamor layer which you should have covered in dirt in a few days anyway !

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Did they show photo ? !
    No, I did not ask for a pic, sorry. Actually I think that hongfu sales the same frame, and a little cheaper. Anyway I think I am going to wait until carconcycles.cc sell a 29er frame, cause they ship from the UK (no customs within the EU)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelDuke
    carconcycles.cc
    please check. I could be interested in a cheap carbon frame sold from EU

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

The build begins

Frame: chinese carbon 29er- 1197g
    Fork: Niner Carbon Fork- 565g
    Brakes: Formula R1 set- 540g
    Cog: Chris King- 32g
    Chain: Campy Record- 200g
    Handlebar: Extralite UltraBar Flat Bar: 105g
    Grips: Extralite UltraGrips: 16 grams
    Stem: Extralite UL3 MTB Stem (25.4mm): 82g
    Cranks: XX- 637g
    Bottom Bracket: Ceramic Truvativ- 114g
    Chain tensioner: Gusset- 96g
    Saddle: Chinese Carbon- 100g
    Seat Post: Ti Pro Lite- 165g
    Seat Collar: Ultimate 11g
    Tires: Specialized Renegade 29er tires: 1000g
    Rims: Race 29er Wheels: 1370g
    Skewers: Titanic- 62g

Total: 13.86 pounds

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The neuvation wheels guy should import these, he does great prices with road bikes using the same manufacturer as Blue cycles, Karbona:
    http://www.neuvationcycling.com/index.html

His newest frame FC500 looks almost identical to my 07 Ridley Excalibur.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DaChosenOne
    /\ Looks amazingly similar to the carbon stumpjumper. Nice. I just built up an ebay chinese carbon road frame, very pleased with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm interested in these frames, but I can't make heads or tails from this thread what's going on.

Who is organizing the buy(s)?

Where are the buys being purchased from? (hongfu, allcarbon, goto, etc)

What is the difference between the Hongfu, AllCarbon, & GOTO bikes? (geometry, finishes, bottom bracket shells, head tubes - tapered/non tapered)

I'm just trying to make sure I get on the right train.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok...stop dealing with all this group buying talk. Its simple....go to Hung Fu bikes webpage and email Jenny. I have been talking to her for several months now to have custom bikes made for my new nutrition company. The frames are made in house and if you read road bike review a gentleman posted pictures of their factory and their process of frame production. My frame was $485 shipped to my door with the custom matte finish done. I had it in 5 days. They work fast and are easier to deal with than most bike companies. Goto is the same bike mold but more expensive and their lead times are long. They have great customer service too.

mtbr member
    has anyone gotten one of these in a larger size than 19?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just kick me outta here, I'll understand...my thinking is: I need a complete bike (no parts on hand). A new 2011 with full warranty Specialized SJ Comp Carbon HT 9er is $2900 list, I can get it for $2300 + tax + $25 for shipping, so under $2500 total.

My parts cost for similar build (but better tubeless wheels) is about $1750 + $600 for the delivered frame subject of this thread = $2350 + needs assembly.

So, for only an extra $150 I get a complete bike with awesome resale...a no brainer for me, but like I said, just my worthless opinion. Please carry on...it's an interesting thread. The frames sound ideal if you have parts on hand or you prefer your own custom build specs.
    jimbo

www.jamesromeyn.com fine guitars/audio
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    And a complete on-0ne race 29er even cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    So, for only an extra $150 I get a complete bike with awesome resale...a no brainer for me, but like I said, just my worthless opinion.
    It's not for everyone. Some of us are cheap and some dig the process of spec'ing out and building a bike from scratch. I happen to be both.

I built a FM-015 from dengfu last year for about $1300. It's good to count the cost and see if building or buying is best, for me it was a no brainer

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just kick me outta here, I'll understand...my thinking is: I need a complete bike (no parts on hand). A new 2011 with full warranty Specialized SJ Comp Carbon HT 9er is $2900 list, I can get it for $2300 + tax + $25 for shipping, so under $2500 total.

My parts cost for similar build (but better tubeless wheels) is about $1750 + $600 for the delivered frame subject of this thread = $2350 + needs assembly.

So, for only an extra $150 I get a complete bike with awesome resale...a no brainer for me, but like I said, just my worthless opinion. Please carry on...it's an interesting thread. The frames sound ideal if you have parts on hand or you prefer your own custom build specs.
    Admittedly, you weren't comparing apples to apples. You probably spec'ed a basic Stan's wheelset, which is probably worth $250+ more than the stock wheelset on the Specialized. So the difference is probably closer to $400. Beyond that, I prefer to decide which parts I spend more or less money on. I don't want an X7 drivetrain (with an X9 rear, b/c that is all that a lot of people notice.) I don't want a bunch of Specialized branded parts, though I have no problem with them. I know that on a 29er I would be willing to spend more on a wheelset than the rest of the bike combined (and I have before.)

Because people want to make these decisions, they choose to build their own bikes. Often, the bike at the LBS is a "better deal." Often, the bike that was assembled from random parts is the better deal. Either way, there isn't really a "no brainer" option. Different strokes. If you want the Specialized, buy it. If you want something different, and are informed enough to know exactly what works for you, than build your own.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor
    Admittedly, you weren't comparing apples to apples. You probably spec'ed a basic Stan's wheelset, which is probably worth $250+ more than the stock wheelset on the Specialized. So the difference is probably closer to $400. Beyond that, I prefer to decide which parts I spend more or less money on. I don't want an X7 drivetrain (with an X9 rear, b/c that is all that a lot of people notice.) I don't want a bunch of Specialized branded parts, though I have no problem with them. I know that on a 29er I would be willing to spend more on a wheelset than the rest of the bike combined (and I have before.)

Because people want to make these decisions, they choose to build their own bikes. Often, the bike at the LBS is a "better deal." Often, the bike that was assembled from random parts is the better deal. Either way, there isn't really a "no brainer" option. Different strokes. If you want the Specialized, buy it. If you want something different, and are informed enough to know exactly what works for you, than build your own.
    Thanks, very informative...yes, I'm becoming a believer. Now of course you got me thinking more seriously about this custom carbon frame...What are considerations comparing this Chinese 29er frame in XL vs. the '11 Spec SJ HT "Comp Carbon 29er" frame? (Also considering $3100 Orbea Alma 29er S50 w/ "Mavic 29 TN719 DISC" wheel set.)

My $1750 build parts included the $475/set WTB tubeless wheels, first available about two weeks ago http://www.wtb.com/products/wheels/wheelsets/speed29/. Opinions welcome. (Next WTB TL step up is $1k.)

Specialized OEM wheel set:
    Rims: Custom DT Swiss X450SL, alloy 29", 24mm w/ eyelets, 32h
    Front Hub: Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, OS 28 end caps, sealed cartridge bearing, RWS, 32h
    Rear Hub: Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, double sealed cartridge bearing, QR, 32h

The more I read about wheels the more I suspect that wheels are like bows in the violin world: proper funds allocation may be to spend more on the bow than the instrument itself, such is the bow's impact on overall performance and feel for the musician. Anyone surprised you can spend $10k on a bow?

Sorry I strayed so far OT.
    Last edited by ro7939; 03-18-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    jimbo

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks, very informative...yes, I'm becoming a believer. Now of course you got me thinking more seriously about this custom carbon frame...What are considerations comparing this Chinese 29er frame in XL vs. the '11 Spec SJ HT "Comp Carbon 29er" frame? (Also considering $3100 Orbea Alma 29er S50 w/ "Mavic 29 TN719 DISC" wheel set.)

My $1750 build parts included the $475/set WTB tubeless wheels, first available about two weeks ago http://www.wtb.com/products/wheels/wheelsets/speed29/. Opinions welcome. (Next WTB TL step up is $1k.)

Specialized OEM wheel set:
    Rims: Custom DT Swiss X450SL, alloy 29", 24mm w/ eyelets, 32h
    Front Hub: Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, OS 28 end caps, sealed cartridge bearing, RWS, 32h
    Rear Hub: Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, double sealed cartridge bearing, QR, 32h

The more I read about wheels the more I suspect that wheels are like bows in the violin world: proper funds allocation may be to spend more on the bow than the instrument itself, such is the bow's impact on overall performance and feel for the musician. Anyone surprised you can spend $10k on a bow?

Sorry I strayed so far OT.
    I would accept the 719 wheelset to have the Alma. I don't love the looks, but from what I have seen and heard that is an amazing race bike.The 719's are good wheels, but they are heavy for what they are. An Alma with the basic Crest/ZTR wheelset would be an amazing race ready bike.

I rode one of the Chinese Carbon bikes today and I was impressed. Just a quick ride but it felt stiff and it was finished surprisingly well. Building a Chinese carbon bike is much like buying a Bikesdirect bike. The value is undeniable, but it isn't the right deal for everybody. For some good value is a custom Ti bike, and for some it is an entry level HT. It just depends on what makes your riding experience better. I have found that on a 29er a heavy or overly flexy wheelset just detracts from the experience too much for me.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'll order a frame as soon as at least one experienced rider who has seen (better ridden) one of the frames confirms two little items: Is the frame rugged enough for 6-3, 235 lbs, age 57, no big intentional drops, lotsa rocks all sizes/shapes, 35+ mph?

What wheels do you recommend, some sweet spot between midrange and cost no object?

Many thanks!
    jimbo

Page 15 of 324 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast