Page 105 of 184 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,250 of 9199
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ip-057

Meeeeeeeep
    I can't comment on the other bikes but my FR-202 with a 100mm Reba fork has a 12.4" BB height unsagged. Not exactly the highest BB but any higher and I would think the handling in tight corners would suck

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 00gauge View Post
    Finally done with my build.

Components:

Frame: LTK-023
    Fork: RockShox SID XX
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 9
    Crank: Shimano Deore XT
    Chainring: Rotor Q-ring
    Bottom bracket: Beer Components EBB
    Chain: SRAM PC-1
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Eggbeater 11
    Saddle: Tioga Twin Tail
    Seat post: no name carbon
    Bars: no name carbon
    Grips: SRAM Locking Lock-On Foam
    Rims: Light Bicycle "wider" rims
    Hubs: Chris King ISO
    Tires: Maxxis Ardent (front) Maxxis Ignitor (rear)
    Thought I'd give everyone an update. Unfortunately LTK-023 is not fit for a SS build. The rear triangle is simply too flexy. I have gone from Q-ring to a normal ring, went through and bunch of chains and settled on a BMX chain. Even with that super wide chain it drops when hammering hard. I am not a heavy guy, 145 lbs but reasonably strong, my FTP is around 255 watts. I am pretty sure I'll end up converting this bike to a 1x10 but that's certainly not what I bought it for.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Question Re: IP-057 Frame from Xiamen

I currently have a Hadley Rear hub (H600135) with their 142mm Thru Axle Conversion Kit and SRAM X9 Rear Derailer. Will I have any issues with the newly-designed dropouts included with the IP-057?

Hadley axle conversion kit info here:
    Hadley 12mm X 142mm Thru Axle Conversion Kit at Balle Racing

I plan to upgrade to a XX1 drivetrain in the future (Hadley just released their XX1- compatible freehub this week!), but I'm going to build it up with my current X9 first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    Question Re: IP-057 Frame from Xiamen

I currently have a Hadley Rear hub (H600135) with their 142mm Thru Axle Conversion Kit and SRAM X9 Rear Derailer. Will I have any issues with the newly-designed dropouts included with the IP-057?

Hadley axle conversion kit info here:
    Hadley 12mm X 142mm Thru Axle Conversion Kit at Balle Racing

I plan to upgrade to a XX1 drivetrain in the future (Hadley just released their XX1- compatible freehub this week!), but I'm going to build it up with my current X9 first.
    I don't see how it will work with that thru-axle. The axle that for sure works is the Shimano M988: Shimano XTR M988 Thru-Axle - Competitive Cyclist

I see there is another model. It looks to be SLX level - don't see a difference between the 2 except price: Amazon.com: Shimano SM-AX65 Rear Hub Axle Set - 142 x 12mm: Sports & Outdoors

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brmeyer135 View Post
    I don't see how it will work with that thru-axle. The axle that for sure works is the Shimano M988: Shimano XTR M988 Thru-Axle - Competitive Cyclist

I see there is another model. It looks to be SLX level - don't see a difference between the 2 except price: Amazon.com: Shimano SM-AX65 Rear Hub Axle Set - 142 x 12mm: Sports & Outdoors
    Well, the Hadley Thru-Axle Conversion Kit simply makes it so that the hub can take any compatible 142mm axle, right? Can I simply install that conversion kit and then use the Shimano 142mm QR?

Or, am I completely wrong on how this would work?

Bottom line: the rear hub is currently setup for 135x10mm thru-bolt, so I just need to know what to order to make it work with the IP-057?

EDIT: Also, will the Shimano 142mm QR's work with my SRAM X9 rear derailer? I'm totally confused at this point... lol

jp4
    mtbr member

Re: Chinese Carbon 29er

I think you're good as long as you have the Shimano axle and the nut that comes with it.

that guy
    Jun 2011

Nevermind, I just spoke to Hadley. Their 142mm conversion kit is definitely compatible with the shimano 142mm skewers, so now it's just a question of whether or not that QR skewer is compatible with my SRAM X9 derailer...anyone know?

jp4
    mtbr member
    The axle is independent of the derraileur which is attached to the derraileur hanger, so yes, the derraileur should work.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jp4 View Post
    The axle is independent of the derraileur which is attached to the derraileur hanger, so yes, the derraileur should work.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Awesome, thank you!

mtbr member

Carbonal Avenger

Let the fun begin!

This was waiting at the back door today.

Just waiting on rear deraillieur and headset - hopefully arrive today.

Took 7 days to get from Carbonal (Xiamen) to NZ - thats pretty good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon 29er-whats-box-.jpg  

Chinese Carbon 29er-carbonal-bits.jpg  

Chinese Carbon 29er-frame-1.jpg  

Last edited by mackt; 06-14-2013 at 07:01 PM.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    How is the Chinese headset that comes with the IP-057? Does anyone have a recommendation for a better aftermarket headset that would fit?

mtbr member
    How is the Chinese headset that comes with the IP-057? Does anyone have a recommendation for a better aftermarket headset that would fit?
    The Neco headset works fine. There is some recent discussion about it here: Building Chinese 29er tips and directions

I suppose if you want to spend more money on a brand name headset you can but I really don't see the reason why you would. I suppose I would recommend the Neco headset that you can get with the frame and if you have any problems with it, replace it sometime down the road.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    The Neco headset works fine. There is some recent discussion about it here: Building Chinese 29er tips and directions

I suppose if you want to spend more money on a brand name headset you can but I really don't see the reason why you would. I suppose I would recommend the Neco headset that you can get with the frame and if you have any problems with it, replace it sometime down the road.
    awesome, thanks! And thanks to everyone else helping me with these last-minute questions.

EDIT: I just sent Peter at Xiamen a price request...
    Last edited by paleh0rse; 06-14-2013 at 04:50 PM.

mtbr member
    awesome, thanks! And thanks to everyone else helping me with these last-minute questions.

EDIT: I just sent Peter at Xiamen a price request...
    I bought mine through Peter, he was easy to work with.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i'm using a beer components one on my SS CX bike and they work great. i'd go that route for a SS 29er.

BB30, simple to use, and upgraded bearings to boot!
    You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel!!!

mtbr member
    Got about 75 miles on the new IP-057 build and so far it's riding very nicely. Each ride a get more confidence in this carbon bike. I find I like the smoothness of the carbon frame, really damps out the vibrations compared to my old AL bike. Shifting on the XX1 has been flawless once I changed out the grip shift for the trigger shifter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon 29er-daves_carbon_29er-2.jpg  

Chinese Carbon 29er-daves_carbon_29er-1.jpg  

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Anyone break one yet due to weight or hard riding?

I'm thinking of doing the 120mm setup and I weigh almost 235 loaded.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Epic - having it for awhile now - is there anything you would do differently or change? Generally happy with your choice of parts and such? Any, future upgrades on your radar? Are you planning on racing/competing?
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brmeyer135 View Post
    Epic - having it for awhile now - is there anything you would do differently or change? Generally happy with your choice of parts and such? Any, future upgrades on your radar? Are you planning on racing/competing?
    Thanks,
    If I had it to do again:

1) Possibly SLX or XT brakes instead of the Avid Carbons that I purchased. Only reason is everyone is raving about the Shimano brakes but I got a good deal on the Avids which included rotors which I would need to buy separately with Shimano. If I had gone Shimano I would have spent an additional $80 bucks or so.

2) I might have considered also ordering a flat carbon bar along with my carbon riser bar from XMIplay just to see which I liked better.

3) I already changed out the XX1 grip shift for the XX1 trigger as I figured out I was not a fan of the grip shifter. I can skip that step next time around . Also, I hear SRAM is coming out with X01 so maybe a bit of a savings when that group hits the market.

That's about all, even with changing things out it was still so much cheaper to build the bike myself that I didn't mind changing out a few parts and selling my (new used) parts on eBay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    got about 100mi on it and been pushing the limits on this frame.. a couple of ooops moments that i forgot i was riding a carbon HT and it held up so far.. my do all bike is a Niner WFO..

frame: FR-202 19" BSA
    fork: Rockshox Reba RLT 100mm tapered QR15
    headset: Neco
    stem: Truvativ AKA 70mm
    handlebar: Alero carbon flatbar 750mm
    bb: Sram GXP
    crank: Sram XX 1x10
    rd: Sram XX blackbox
    shifter: Sram XX
    pedal: CB candy1
    seatpost: KS dropzone
    seatpost clamp: Hope
    saddle: Fizik Gobi XM
    brakes: Hope Mono Mini
    rotor: Alligator Wind Cutter f203mm/r180mm
    wheelset: Easton EA90XC Gorilla tape converted
    tires: Continental Trail King 2.4

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here is my build (ltk023 size M). 9.8kg total. I've been riding it for 3 months - no issues so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    After a couple of rides on my ss (I have posted some pics earlier on this thread), I realized that the carbon fork has misaligned dropouts. It is not a dish misalignment since the same happens if I mount the wheel with the disc on the other side.
    If this would be aluminium I would file 2 mm away from the right dropout and everything would be fine: but this is carbon.

Suggestions are welcome.

BTW I think that there is enough room on the left tab to add the same amount of material I would file on the right, but no idea on what material to use and how to do this.

mtbr member

How much do these companies charge extra for custom paint /lettering?
    I'm kinda shocked more people aren't going that route.

banned
    Sep 2012
    FSA NO.42-ACB is suitable for the frame, also NECO H373 headset. We have both headsets for sale.

Now we have All sizes for IP-056 (FM056) in UD matt with both BSA and BB30 in stock.

IP-057 is sold very well, now only 17.5'' BSA and BB30, 21'' BSA UD matt in stock.

Any guy have interest please contact me directly.

Email: peter@xmiplay.cn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon 29er-fsa-headset-1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon 29er-neco-headset_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    G'day has anyone bought or had contact with this company QING YUAN YUAN FENG-YI COMPOSITE CO.,LTD. They have a very nice carbon 29er with very short chainstays called the BM-01 and they show testing reports which I thought was good. Any thoughts on this frame would be great .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    How much do these companies charge extra for custom paint /lettering?
    I'm kinda shocked more people aren't going that route.
    Around $40-$50 for custom paint depending on what you want. Even though I did, I am not surprised most people are not ordering custom paint as think most people are not looking to spend extra money on paint since it does not change the performance of the bike (and adds a little weight). If you are already saving money buying a Chinese Carbon frame, it's easy to see why someone might not spend another 10% of the price on paint.

mtbr member
    Double post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by System32 View Post
    Here is my build (ltk023 size M). 9.8kg total. I've been riding it for 3 months - no issues so far.
    Nice pic!

mtbr member

Around $40-$50 for custom paint depending on what you want. Even though I did, I am not surprised most people are not ordering custom paint as think most people are not looking to spend extra money on paint since it does not change the performance of the bike (and adds a little weight). If you are already saving money buying a Chinese Carbon frame, it's easy to see why someone might not spend another 10% of the price on paint.
    Gotcha. The price drew me in but the lightness and customizable portion is what is making me want one.
    I think I may be interested now gonna see if I inquire about paint jobs.
    I have a GT Karakoram and it's going to be sad to let go of that triple triangle frame =(.

that guy
    Jun 2011

Ordered from Peter at Xiamen:
    1. (1) IP-057, Size: 17.5", Matte Black (NO PAINT), BSA Bottom Bracket, NECO Headset Included* - 430 USD
    2. (1) IP-BC6 Bottle Cage - 12 USD
    3. (1) ONE-PIECE Drop-out* - 20 USD
    4. (1) Carbon MTB Seatpost UD matt- 45 USD
    5. (1) Spacer Kit (2/5/10/20mm) - 6 USD
    Shipping by EMS:* 85 USD
    4% PayPal Fee: 23.52 USD
    TOTAL:* (430+12+20+45+6+85+23.52) = 621.52 USD

Also ordered:
    -Shimano XTR M988 Thru-Axle
    -Hadley 15mm hub conversion kit (front)
    -Hadley 142mm hub conversion kit (rear)
    -RockShox SID World Cup 29er fork (100mm travel, 15mm Maxle Lite)

Game on!!
    Last edited by paleh0rse; 06-17-2013 at 08:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi guys i have BB30 bottom brackets and frame is 68mm wide .Do you know if Sram XX1 156Q factor is gonna work ? thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ales1972 View Post
    Hi guys i have BB30 bottom brackets and frame is 68mm wide .Do you know if Sram XX1 156Q factor is gonna work ? thanks
    You would need to do some research, it's not about your bottom bracket, it's about how wide your chainstays are. You need to compare the width of the chainstays were your crank arm passes by to the width of a 156Q crank. Depending on your frame you will either have no clearance, a little clearance or enough clearance. I went with a 168Q crank and I'm glad I did, I have 14 mm of clearance on either side which to me is about right.

Also, depending on your frame you may want to think about chainring clearance as well with the XX1 crank. This doesn't change with Q-factor but for me the stock 32T ring has decent clearance but a ring bigger than 34T probably would not fit. Not a problem for me as I like the 32T ring.

There is another thread in the 29er forum about a rider with a Yeti and the stock 32T ring would not fit on his frame, he needed to drop down to a 28T ring, not a good situation IMHO.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Here is my finished fm056.

Full XT grouppo, Roval Traverse wheels, Rockshox SID with brain, truvativ noir bars, spike spank 35mm stem, thompson seatpost, Spec henge ti saddle, hope seat post clamp, esi chunky grips and XTR pedals.

Shimano does not make BB30 anything so i needed to get the wheels manufacturing bb30 to shimano kit and used a Sram BB. Also had to return my multi clamp F.D. for the traditional bottom swing.

Chinese Carbon 29er-2013-06-17-23.13.23.jpg
    Chinese Carbon 29er-2013-06-17-16.54.58.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hello Folks.
    This question is probally made in the thread but here we go.

Im buying a FR-202 from china and as all 29er carbon frames it have a Tapered headset. The seller says they send the headset as gift so i thinking its probally a Neco headset.

I have a FOX Fork that is straight 1 1/8 and im looking too check if there is any reducer i can use with the Neco headset or if i can use a whole different headset for the frame.

I saw this Cane Creek headset: Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40 ZS44/ZS56/30 Tapered Headset - Fits 1 1/8" Forks

It says its for tapered and 1 1/8 fork. Does anyone knows if that fits the FR-202 Frame?

Any advices are welcome!

Thanks,

Giuliano

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by itradebr View Post
    Hello Folks.

Im buying a FR-202 from china and as all 29er carbon frames it have a Tapered headset. The seller says they send the headset as gift so i thinking its probally a Neco headset.

I have a FOX Fork that is straight 1 1/8 and im looking too check if there is any reducer i can use with the Neco headset or if i can use a whole different headset for the frame.

I saw this Cane Creek headset: Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40 ZS44/ZS56/30 Tapered Headset - Fits 1 1/8" Forks

It says its for tapered and 1 1/8 fork. Does anyone knows if that fits the FR-202 Frame?

Any advices are welcome!

Thanks,

Giuliano
    Your best bet is to ask the seller for the reducers that match their headset. The vendor I went with had them for like $6.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Questions regarding IP-057:
    Q1: Does it have an IS-mount for the front brake caliper? Is an adapter required for Avid Elixir5 front brake?
    Q2: What are the largest front/rear SRAM rotors that would fit the 17.5" IP-057?
    Q3: If I run the cables through the frame without housing (aka "naked"), will that have any negative affects on the shifter/brake performance?
    Q4: Is the bottom bracket hole reverse-threaded on either side?

Thanks ahead of time!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ales1972 View Post
    I have this exact question, so please reply back here if you find out. Plan on running xx1 with a Q factor of 156. Need to find a frame that will allow that to clear the stays.

mtbr member
    Questions regarding IP-057:
    Q1: Does it have an IS-mount for the front brake caliper? Is an adapter required for Avid Elixir5 front brake?

Not dependent on your frame, this is related to your fork.

Q2: What are the largest front/rear SRAM rotors that would fit the 17.5" IP-057?

Front is dependent on your fork. Standard rear rotor is 160mm but PeterQue has said 180mm will fit with an adapter bracket.

Q3: If I run the cables through the frame without housing (aka "naked"), will that have any negative affects on the shifter/brake performance?

On the IP-057, the internal tubing is designed to run without cable housings through the frame with a ferrule at each end. Unless the tubing inside the frame was done incorrectly there would be no issues with internal routing, 50% of bike manufacturers have frames with internal routing.

Q4: Is the bottom bracket hole reverse-threaded on either side?

I'm not sure, but why does this matter? As long as you have the correct bottom bracket for your frame and cranks, just carefully thread in the BB. This is a large coarse thread so it should be simple to see which direction each side threads in.

Thanks ahead of time!
    Quote Originally Posted by combfilter View Post
    I have this exact question, so please reply back here if you find out. Plan on running xx1 with a Q factor of 156. Need to find a frame that will allow that to clear the stays.
    Not sure why you would want a narrow crank on a MTB, most people are looking for the ability to run a 2.4 mm or larger rear tire so narrow chainstays are more for road bikes these days. Wider is better .

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the info ED! I'll be running a SID World Cup fork, so I'll look into the specs for that (concerning the IS mount).

As for the BB question, it was more of an awareness thing so I don't F' it up!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Unless you somehow have an Italian threaded MTB BB it will be reverse threaded on one side.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismtnman View Post
    Well, just took the dive and bought a FR-202 on eBay. I could have saved about $30 buying directly, but I like having the extra buying protection. I am nervous about whether it will come with issues or not. This particular division of the seller "Z-Wow" has a 100% eBay rating which is stellar for a Chinese eBayer.

It will have the following build when it comes:

1. Truvativ Noir Carbon Single Speed Crankset (to be used as 1x9)
    2. EA70 Monkey Bar
    3. AKA Stem
    4. Juicy Carbon Brakes
    5. Avid GS2 Rotors
    6. Mavic Crossmax Wheelset
    7. X-Fusion Slide Front Shock/Fork
    8. Sram X0 Blackbox Rear Deraileur
    9. Sram PG-990 Cassette
    10. Candy Mallet Pedals
    11. Tires to be determined.
    12. Knock-off carbon seatpost I have had for years.

I currently have a VooDoo Soukri chromo frame (which feels great), so this should drop the weight of the bike by about 3lbs. I hope I am okay with going from chromoly to carbon.

At the end of the day, I went with the FR-202 because of its more slacker HT. My local trails are not overflowing with crazy downhills, but what there is I love to push the envelope on, but I hate that feeling of being an inch away from doing an endo.
    To modify the above, I now have IRC Mythos II tires (tubeless), a Cannondale 400mm seatpost (really a Fizik rebranded), Gobi XM seat, Ergon GS-1s grips and Egg Beater SL pedals.

Without pedals, I am down to 22.75 lbs. Frame, shock, grips and seatpost are new. Rest was used, but in great shape. $1010 for the whole thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by itradebr View Post
    Hello Folks.

Any advices are welcome!

Thanks,

Giuliano
    Yes, it does. Did it on my FR-202.

mtbr member
    To modify the above, I now have IRC Mythos II tires (tubeless), a Cannondale 400mm seatpost (really a Fizik rebranded), Gobi XM seat, Ergon GS-1s grips and Egg Beater SL pedals.

Without pedals, I am down to 22.75 lbs. Frame, shock, grips and seatpost are new. Rest was used, but in great shape. $1010 for the whole thing.
    Wow, that's a low cost build!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yes, it does. Did it on my FR-202.
    You mean the Cane Creek 40 ZS44/ZS56/30 Tapered Headset ?

If so, thank you so much! Was worried i was going to have a hard time find something to fit my Fox ctd! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    To be completely clear, this works with the Neco headset included on the FR-202 and is cheaper than what you are looking at: Cane Creek 40-Series Conversion Crown Race - Competitive Cyclist

to take make your 1 1/8 straight steerer fork work on the FR-202's tapered headset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    To be completely clear, this works with the Neco headset included on the FR-202: Cane Creek 40-Series Conversion Crown Race - Competitive Cyclist

to take make your 1 1/8 straight steerer fork work on the FR-202's tapered headset.
    All clear now. Thanks again for the tip!
    I still have some time to put it all together since i will be away from MTB for 2 months due to a arm fracture. Enough time to build it with care and order everything right
    Have a great week!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi guys,
    I am looking for a Chinese 29er frame that have all internal cable routing (brake e gear shift) and 12x142 dropouts on back... what are the frames (in addition of FM057) on the market with these characteristics?

the FM106 has the 12x142 axle but it's no longer available nowadays with all internal cable routing...

Thank to all
    jonny89

mtbr member
    The IP-106 has interchangeable drop outs, either 10x135 or 12x142. This is a new option they came out with a few weeks ago.

IP-106 2013 full carbon 29er mountain frame -Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The IP-106 has interchangeable drop outs, either 10x135 or 12x142. This is a new option they came out with a few weeks ago.

IP-106 2013 full carbon 29er mountain frame -Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.
    And it's a very nice and modular frame (dropots interchangable) but haven't all internal cable routing... as you can see from the photos the link!