Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Cheap Tube Solutions

Tubes are cheap this time of year so I'm thinking of picking up a bunch from Price Point.

Set of 5 for $12? Yes.

However, this price is only for 26/27/700C.

I know I can run 26 inch tubes in my 29" wheels, but what about slightly undersized 27x1.5 in 2.0 and 2.125 tires?

agu
    mtbr member
    go for the 26 x 2.1 or larger....more rubber to stretch than a 27x1.5

MTB B'dos
    A tube will stretch significantly in inflation diameter, but not in actual cross section diameter, so you can use a 26" tube in a 29er, but stick to one that's close to the size tyre you'll be running i.e if you're running 2.25", then make sure the tube is for bigger than 2".
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Trail Ninja
    In my experience, I find the inflation mechanics applicable to fitting tubes on a bike to be the opposite of what LyNx describes. I find them to expand faster to a large cross section first, then start expanding more diameter wise, making the process of fitting 26" tubes into a 29er wheel a major pain in the ass. If you inflate the tube outside of the tire, what he says is true, especially to sizes beyond a 29er wheel, since there's more rubber around to stretch into a larger diameter than there is rubber to stretch into a larger cross section.

I find it simpler just to inflate the tube into shape, put it into my tire, and then install that onto the rim, which is how properly sized tubes work. With a 26" tube, it's a game of finding the best shape for it to fit while inflating, not giving it a large cross section yet trying to get it as large of a diameter as possible. That or you just put the tube on the rim and try to fit the tire onto the rim around it. If your tube bulges in one spot, I hope you have a lot of patience.

Not exactly cheap tubes, but my most recent experience is with Panaracer SuperTubes 26x1.6 to 2.1. I imagine lighter and narrower ones would inflate better, in terms of installation ease, but I find what you are basically doing is getting a "super lightweight" 29er tube, since the rubber material is stretched really thin to fit, at a fraction of the cost, but with the additional installation hassles.

Trail Ninja
    IMO, this is the cheapest tube solution. Patch your tubes:

New Bicycle Bike Tire Tube 48 Rubber Patches Repair Kit | eBay $2.19 shipped for 48 of the more permanent type of patches and a huge tube of vulcanizing rubber cement.

Edit: I think I found the "trick" behind installing 26" tubes, so it's not such a hassle. Get one bead of the tire on the rim, so it's half installed. Inflate the 26" tube enough so it fits on the rim. Then hook the other bead onto the rim. Should only be a little harder than a 29er tube. I was trying to do it on a spare wheel and tire I had laying around and doing it the hard way, rather than doing it as if I were simply trying to swap out a tube after a flat.

Going double cheap, with 26" tubes from Price Points, sounds like an express ticket to wanting to go tubeless. I never had good luck with flats when using Price Point (and HucknRoll Cutter brand) tubes.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 11-06-2011 at 10:19 AM.

MTB B'dos
    What Craig said is true, if you try to inflate the 26" tube to the size of the 29" rim it will be too big to install. I haven't had any issue installing 26" tubes on 29er wheels, just requires a little bit of common sense and coordination is all
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go tubeless, you will not reget it once bit.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

ballbuster

I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr View Post
    Go tubeless, you will not reget it once bit.
    I've been using 26"x2.1 Performance Lunar Lites for years with no issues. If I rode some place with thorns, I would use Slime tubes. I almost never flat as it is... (knock on wood). Basically, if a thorn makes it through the tire carcass, it's going to go through the innertube, unless its a stupid thick one like the DH folks use.

There are loads of equivalent tubes to Lunar Lites out there. Kenda, Bontrager and Specialized are other ones I use.

Bonus points on Bontragers... they have a removable core so you can inject sealant in them if you want.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Basically, if a thorn makes it through the tire carcass, it's going to go through the innertube, unless its a stupid thick one like the DH folks use.
    Goatheads have made it through my 2 ply DH casing High Rollers and got through my Kenda DH tubes. Those tubes weigh more than most people's tires. 680g 2.25mm thick. Of course, there were like over a dozen goatheads stuck in the tire and I didn't notice the flat until I got home and took the bike off the rack. I feel like patching it up too.