mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Changing fork Travel on a 29er Hardtail Bike! Need advice

I currently have a RST Omega ML 29 fork with 100mm of travel. It is heavy and does not offer enough travel for my riding style. Can i upgrade this to a 120 or 140mm fork. will this destroy my frame / headtube.

I already know that my bike is not designed for forks with more travel, but i was wondering if there are forks that have more travel, but the same overall length, so the angle of the head tube remains the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This topic comes up on a regular basis. You will hear : "The warranty will void, HT will shear off and the gates of hell will open" or " I have done this on all my bikes and never had one issue" No one knows how you actually ride your equipment. I tend to recommend the correct frame for intended use / riding style.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    but is there a limit to how much travel you can add without ripping off the heatube? does 130 or 140mm sound excessive on a 100mm only designed frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    RST Omega-T RL (2011) review
    Your fork can have the travel extended to 120 by disassembling the fork.
    This will give you an idea of how the bike will ride and be free.
    If you get tired of that consider a 100 or 120mm air fork off ebay. The 100mm will be a major performance upgrade and you are likely not to need a 120 for this reason. A Manitou Tower Pro or Reba dual air would be two good choices.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Your bike is engineered around a 100 mm fork. The engineer probably looked at how it would get loaded by a typical rider in the conditions the bike is designed for, and made it strong enough for that, times some safety factor.

Going longer does void your warranty, though you should actually read yours if that's a concern. 20 mm may not be enough to mess with your warranty.

As far as ripping off the head tube, while I've seen it happen, I actually don't think that's a huge concern. Think about the total axle-crown height of the fork. 20 mm here or there isn't very much. It'll be enough to feel a change in the bike's handling, though.

Do you even get 100 mm of travel? My old bike came with a RST. I think I got maybe 40. I don't think you can draw any conclusions based on a RST fork except that they suck.

You say you want more travel but the same overall length. Given that you probably aren't getting all 100 mm and RST's not very efficient in packaging their fork, you can probably have that. A "real" 120 mm fork would be a hell of an upgrade.

Is this the bike you want to be on long-term? Usually everything else on a bike with RST is pretty cheesy too. You're likely to "need" something else as soon as your headset's torqued down on the new fork. So you might consider a do-over before you throw good money after bad.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx