mtbr member

Carver Ti 99er Ride Report and pics

I finally had a day to ride this beast. I've had it setting there, begging to be used for a week and a half, like a $5 bill in an 8 year olds pocket. Coming from riding 06, 07, 08 Specilaized epics I wanted some more simplicty in my ride. Believe it or not, my intentions were to build an "economic" hardtail, but we all know how easily things get out of hand when a catalog full of shiny parts and options is placed before you. So out comes the Carver Ti 99er. Here's a quick build run down
    -Frame-Carver Ti 99er...duh
    -Fork-Maverick SC32 (does it flex?...yes, Does it matter when riding?...no)
    -Hubs- Hope Pro 2
    -Tires-Spec Fastrack
    -Rims Velocity Blunt
    -Brakes-Formula k18
    -Rear D-Sram x9
    -Shifter-Sram xo gripshift
    -Seatpost-Thomson Masterpiece (did I mention i was going for economical?)
    Seat-Specialized Phenom
    Stem-now a thomson

Frame comments-
    Fantastic. The only other Ti I've dealt with has been a Litespeed road frame and this is just as nice. For a $1100, 3.4 lb Ti frame it can't be beat. The S-bend seat and chain stays was a big plus for me and offer huge clearence. I did rediculous amounts of research on geometry before deciding which bike to go with. My criteria was simple...Fit like a medium Stumpjumper with 26" wheels, no toe over lap. This bike nailed it. Also, the decals are of the easy-peel variety. I'm sure they would rather me leave them on, but I'm a sucker for naked Ti and when most people ask what kind of frame it is, I can tell them how coooool it is.

Ride-
    Feels Great. The bike built up just at 23 lbs which really feels nice under you. A light bike with big wheels just feels right. In comparing the Ti with Steel, the only way I can describe it is that Ti feels like Steel with butter on it. This is still a hardtail for sure, and I felt no lack of power transfer, but a don't know that I felt any thing that could be called a vibration. Bumps...yes, rocks...yes, vibration...NONE. It's nice to be back on a hardtail after so many years of FSR.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boy_dinosaur; 02-27-2008 at 07:36 PM.

anyone else smell that?
    i like it. lots.

mtbr member
    Very tasteful. Looks like lots of fun.

Enjoy, PF

mtbr member
    Nice choice. I really dig the colors. Research pays off I see.

But a 20mm axle fork has flex? First 29er?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by auditunerb5

Actually Maverick has a 24mm axle. The flex is because it is inverted and has no additional arch over the tire. I wouldn't have an opinion on the SC32 though, only ridden the DUC.

Hot looking bike though, love that blue and the naked frame!

gnar, brah

Actually 24mm I think. It's not the axle, it's the inverted design, which inherently has more flex because it doesn't have the arch connecting the lowers, like on a traditional fork.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member

Not my first 29er. Once upon a time I had a Redline Monocog 29er. I bought it because the price was too low to pass and wanted to see what 29ers were all about. Had fun on the bike, but with an Epic marathon in the garage it didn't get ridden much. My intention was to build a bike to last me for a long time with minimal issues. I usually go with fox forks, but am happy with the mavrick.

mtbr member
    Nice job - congrats on the new Carver!

anyone else smell that?
    you just need a custom head badge now!

mtbr member

My new Carver Ti 99 29er

since this thread contributed to me building one of these up I though I would post it here.

This is my new Carver TI-99, I got the new version with the ovalized downtube. I wanted something that would be light enough for racing, but still burly enough to do really long rides that contain some steeps.

I really like this bike, it is as comfortable as my steel hardtail, but a little stiffer. With the 120 setting I had a lot of confidence downhill, and at 95 it climbed great!

It's got full X9 10 speed, except for the XTR front derailleur (the X9 low mount had bad tire clearance). Answer protaper carbon bars, fox talas terralogic 95-120 fork, hope pro 2 evos laced to arches (built them myself). It came out 25-26 lbs.

Being built:

First ride this weekend:

Last edited by rodgerdodger; 03-12-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added info

wanna ride
    Looks like a nice ride, I think i prefer the clean look of no stickers on the frame tho. Just my opinion. enjoy the ride.
    A rolling stone gathers no moss