Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I would say screw carbon and contact Santa Cruz to find an alloy Tallboy for 900 shipped. The weight difference and all the rest is mostly crap unless you race. I cannot feel a lick of stiffness difference between the alloy and carbon Jet 9. It is mostly marketing. Muzzanic has strong opinions on the Tallboy that most of us don't share. He is entitled to them but I absolutely disagree with him. The Tallboy is a sweet bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think the TB is a good bike I have been riding one for a while now. When I bought my TB the JET9 RDO was not out. If I was doing it at this time I would go with the JET9 RDO. I am actually strongly considering getting either a JET9 RDO or a RIP RDO and selling the TB.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by mudncrud View Post
    I think the TB is a good bike I have been riding one for a while now. When I bought my TB the JET9 RDO was not out. If I was doing it at this time I would go with the JET9 RDO. I am actually strongly considering getting either a JET9 RDO or a RIP RDO and selling the TB.
    I can let you know how the Rip9 RDO goes compaired to the Jet9 RDO when I get mine, I was 1 of the 1st to order 1 so i'm hoping to be 1 of the 1st to get one.

Depending how hard you ride & where you ride the Jet9 RDO is pretty dame good in the ruff for a 100mm rear travel bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice prices above on Santa cruz bikes. Heres some ballpark australian prices for you to drool over. keep in mind the australian dollar has parity with the U.S.

TB & TBlt frame -$3300 (rp23)...no package deals here. forget them.
    RDO jet 9 frame $3700+ (rp23)
    Trance X0 29er full bike 3800$

If i can talk the SC dealer to under 3000$
    i may one day own one
    Last edited by 911Holy$; 11-26-2012 at 10:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I was just on Speedgoats web-site. They don't have
    any Tallboy frames for $2294. What they do have is a
    lot more.
    You are right on that. It is a bit deceiving. I did not click on shock options which sprang the price up just below $3,000. So considering that then, the Tallboy and Jet 9RDO are very close in price, closer than I thought.

I personally love the Tallboy C, but I am considering on getting the LTc and selling the Tallboy. I have spent time on the LTc and it is a really fun bike and bullet fast on descents. What holds me back is the colors. I don't care for the "yellow and black attack" look or the black and orange, they have grown on me but for what I'll spend I want it look like something.

Enter the Rip 9 RDO carbon, will this bike be the competitor to the LTc? I'm sure it will. I'm not too excited about the blue color only they chose for it, its a cool color but I'm not feeling it. I am really considering the Jet 9 RDO in white or green, I'm trying to track one down for a demo. If its not all that I may just go with the LTc and stick with Santa Cruz.

I just wish SC would offer some other options on the LTc, but I understand the buisness aspect. They may not change the colors until the summer. It would seem that Niner usually offers more color options too to their bikes too, that is why I'm scratching my head that they will only offer one color for the Rip 9 RDO. I may just wait till April or when they start cranking the Rip 9RDO's out the door.

I wonder if the Rip 9RDO is that good would that warrant to go with this bike only over the JEt 9 RDO? Many guys sold their Tallboy C for the LTC and say it was a very good decision because it does everything so well.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Enter the Rip 9 RDO carbon, will this bike be the competitor to the LTc? I'm sure it will. I'm not too excited about the blue color only they chose for it, its a cool color but I'm not feeling it. I am really considering the Jet 9 RDO in white or green, I'm trying to track one down for a demo.....

...It would seem that Niner usually offers more color options too to their bikes too, that is why I'm scratching my head that they will only offer one color for the Rip 9 RDO. I may just wait till April or when they start cranking the Rip 9RDO's out the door.
    The Niner rep has already spoken on the Niner board saying another color is coming for the RIP RDO beyond the initial blue. Here's the link.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Chain stay length

For those of you with decent time on both of these rides. I have ridden both but a year apart from each other. Do you notice the difference in CS length between the two? I noticed that the RDO is at 17.9 while the TB is 17.5, I keep seeing trends where people are liking shorter stays and wanted some feedback on this.
    FWIW, I was riding an Air9 and loved the way it rode but I ended up switching everything over to a jet9 alloy because I found a good deal on one and went for it. So far I can't seem to get comfortable on the jet alu, I'm not exactly sure where the problem is so I'm trying to figure that out. I really like the travel for making the rides less harsh but it has lost some of its fun nature. Is this just the sacrifice of moving to FS from a hard tail or is there something else I am missing?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeast View Post
    For those of you with decent time on both of these rides. I have ridden both but a year apart from each other. Do you notice the difference in CS length between the two? I noticed that the RDO is at 17.9 while the TB is 17.5, I keep seeing trends where people are liking shorter stays and wanted some feedback on this.
    FWIW, I was riding an Air9 and loved the way it rode but I ended up switching everything over to a jet9 alloy because I found a good deal on one and went for it. So far I can't seem to get comfortable on the jet alu, I'm not exactly sure where the problem is so I'm trying to figure that out. I really like the travel for making the rides less harsh but it has lost some of its fun nature. Is this just the sacrifice of moving to FS from a hard tail or is there something else I am missing?
    There is something to the chain stay length, But nowhere near as much as there is in suspenion design.

I have owned 4 Jet9's - 08 Alloy, 10 Alloy, 12 Jet9 RDO, 13 Jet9 RDO
    I have owned a tallboy & 2 Rip9s soon to be 3.

So I have some insight to this.

1st up my 08 Jet9 was my 1st 29er & Iiked it alot, & then I got the 09 Rip9 & 10 Jet9 & had both of them at the same time so got a good insite as to what each bike did.

The Jet9 felt more alive than the Rip9 but the Rip9 was more forgiving & I just liked it more.

I sold both & brought a Tallboy , It was nice to have a light bike, But the rear suspenion IMO was so far off the mark & just did stuped things.

I put up with the Tallboy for 3 months & then the Jet9 RDO came out & I got 1 & the tallboy was down the road that week, I love the way the jet9 RDO works.

The Jet9 RDO feels alot more alive than the Jet9 & is alot more playfull.

It has alot more grip, Has a softer ride but still pedals better.

I get lots of PM's from people not happy with there Tallboys wanting to talk about what it was about the Tallboy I didn't like, I'n most cases it was the things I didn't like that were the things that they also had got sick of.

There would be over a dozen people the PMed me that have brought the Jet9 RDO & all are very very happy they made the change.

I'm sure that you would find the Jet9 RDO a big step up from your Jet9, IMO going to the Tallboy would be a big step backwards.

The Tallboy IMO isn't even in the same leage as the Jet9 RDO.

As for keeping your Jet9 Alloy, they are still a good bike, Post up pictures & parts spec of your bike & I will see if there is anything that stands out as something that might help.

Also add your weight , height, Bike frame size & your seat height from the centre of the cranks.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 01-07-2013 at 02:49 PM.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Haha, Muzz beat me to it...

Im not really sure Id say the trend toward shorter CS is a recent thing, I think its pretty much been going on since 29ers were made popular and everyone expected them to handle like 26er's... Well okay a few people expected that... That being said, I think the short CS's on the Tallboy gave it a bit of a unique feel and it was a cool bike and all... However I personally wouldnt sacrifice more important areas just to have a shorter CS, long as they are a reasonable length. What Im saying is even my Anthem X pedals, handles and overall feels better to me than the TB did and it has what are considered to be slightly "longer" CS's

I really wouldnt get to fixed on any one particular area of frame geometry, it takes many things working together to make a good frame...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Better frame for lesser components?

Thanks ace and muzz, That's good to hear!
    Now another question for you. I have a full 10 speed XT/ XTR drive train on my current jet Alu. If I Were to go to the RDO it would mean selling off my complete ride to pay for it. This would only leave me with enough cash left over for SLX, X9 build category possibly even X7. Would the frame upgrade be worth the components downgrade or should I just stick with the current steed?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Now another question for you. I have a full 10 speed XT/ XTR drive train on my current jet Alu. If I Were to go to the RDO it would mean selling off my complete ride to pay for it. This would only leave me with enough cash left over for SLX, X9 build category possibly even X7. Would the frame upgrade be worth the components downgrade or should I just stick with the current steed?
    That is only somethng you could answer for yourself.

For me I would rather ride a X9 Jet9 RDO than a XTR/ XX Jet9 Alloy.

~Reformed Mechanic~

I'd agree...

I was more happy with my stock (now mod'ed) Anthem X2 than I was with my 6K tricked out Tallboy... But thats just me.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Carbon vs alu:
    Can't compare but I rode: Trek 9,8 carbon, Jet9 alu, Gf Rig alu (muddy rides), Air9 scandium, Air9 alu( rigid with rdo fork), Tallboy carbon.
    I do feel a difference, carbon always had a smoother rolling feel, like it sucks up small vibrations where alu always felt harsher. (f.e. the vibrattion of tire nobs on pavement)

Tallboy:
    Super in the descends, Imo the lower BB is an advantage there.

Stiff front end for accurate stearing.

Rear feels flexy, the new 142's certainly should improve this.
    F.i. getting out of a trench on dirt roads, the rear hesitates, like it wants to stay in the 'trench'.

Pedalling:
    I work alot with the RT3 switch on climbs and smoother track.
    Have a weard loose pedal feeling riding at constant speed om smoother tracks.
    Seems like the bobbing under pedal stroke feeds chainlength??
    If i flip the switch on the RT3, it disappears.
    I do pay attention on a round stroke.
    Didn't experience this on my old Jet9.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm not familiar with how much will swap over, so just throwing out, why not go for a frame and fork instead of the whole bike?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5