Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Carbon & Ti rule
    When I had mine I used the wheels & fork off my other bike so I could get a good feel for how different they were.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have demoed 5 29r carbon frames and have found its politically incorrect to negatively comment about the TB's VPP suspension performance in comparison. The people I ride with like their SC's just fine, we can agree to disagree, so what - more choices. I don't know about others but I want to hear both positive and negative comments on comparisons so keep it going.

Jet 9 RDO all the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    IMO, it seems to me when you get to these prices of bikes you are going to get a nice bike. Good positive comments on the Jet9RDO and TallboyC. As I think Muzzanic said demo them and then make your assessment. That is the only way you'll be able to discern the nuances of what these two can do.

I really like my tallboy C, I have not been on a RDO but I would like to. IT costs more than a Tallboy C, so for me it would really have to be so much better for me to make a switch. I have to say I like the RDO look, I know many people have said it looks ugly but I think it really looks cool.

My question is on the Jet 9RDO, what is the application of the bike besides XC? Can you consider it a trail bike and a light all mountain rig with a 120 front fork? I'm talking light jumps, nothing over 3ft and some chunky stuff. I wonder if its better to have the RDO over the new Rip 9 carbon? Because you get a lighter bike that is quicker and race capable, yet able to do almost anything else. I think the Tallboy C is almost capable of that and anything heavier would be Tallboy LTc territory. Just wondering.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I only do a couple of races a year ( Spent 25 years running all over the place Car racing & Ralling ) so although the Jet9 RDO makes a very good XC race bike I couldn't care less about that.

I brought a Alloy Rip9 to replace my Giant Reign & Trance X (26 inch wheels ) & on the same tracks the Rip9 was a much better bike for me, Faster & more forgiving.

I brought a Jet9 alloy as well & would often have to work out what bike to take when ridding with different people.

When looking at the reviews of the Tallboy,I thought maybe I will sell both the Rip9 & jet9 & buy a Tallboy & thats what I did ( If there had been a carbon Rip9 at that point & would have brought it & not even looked at the Tallboy ) Because I Like the Rip9 & didn't really want a 100mm travel bike as my only bike.

So So having sold both the Rip9 & Jet9,I brought the Tallboy carbon & just didn't like it for me, So I brought the Jet9 RDO as soon as I could get my hands on it ( Yes it was still a 100mm travel bike ) So I had it in my mind the I would just have to hold me over untill They made a Rip9 carbon.

However I really Liked the bike & found to to be faster & as much fun as the Rip9 Alloy & have enjoyed it for a year now.

So unless you go super hard IMO most would be better off on the Jet9 carbon/RDO than the carbon Rip9.

I'm not trying to put anybody off the Rip9 RDO ( I have one on ored myself ) But don't under estermate just how good the Jet9 RDO is as a Trail bike.

My 2 C

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    IMO, it seems to me when you get to these prices of bikes you are going to get a nice bike. Good positive comments on the Jet9RDO and TallboyC. As I think Muzzanic said demo them and then make your assessment. That is the only way you'll be able to discern the nuances of what these two can do.

I really like my tallboy C, I have not been on a RDO but I would like to. IT costs more than a Tallboy C, so for me it would really have to be so much better for me to make a switch. I have to say I like the RDO look, I know many people have said it looks ugly but I think it really looks cool.

My question is on the Jet 9RDO, what is the application of the bike besides XC? Can you consider it a trail bike and a light all mountain rig with a 120 front fork? I'm talking light jumps, nothing over 3ft and some chunky stuff. I wonder if its better to have the RDO over the new Rip 9 carbon? Because you get a lighter bike that is quicker and race capable, yet able to do almost anything else. I think the Tallboy C is almost capable of that and anything heavier would be Tallboy LTc territory. Just wondering.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    We have rough desert terrain here with lots of climbing. Many riders here use both the TB and Jet 9 RDO for light weight trail bikes usually with the 120mm fork.

Please do the demo, bike are crazy expensive and unless independently wealthy, I don't think anyone should spend that kind of money without a demo on the terrain they routinely ride. Try a range of frames from both mfg's. Dilemma('s) solved.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Everyone has an opinion. I liked both but ended up with a Jet 9 RDO because it fit better. Both work extremely well and are a blast to ride. Ride both and decide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i hope one day santa cruz and niner dump their australian distibutors and give us reasonable prices for a frame. Especially niner, at near 4 grand for a niner rdo frame and 500$ more than SC. forget it. i'll never see one in the flesh let alone demo one. Still, great looking bike. Maybe one day niner????

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Anyone have first hand saddle time in both? Thoughts?

It feels diffrent for everybody. You should try both and decide whats best for you

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by gridtalker View Post
    It feels diffrent for everybody. You should try both and decide whats best for you
    He brought a Tallboy & sold it after abut 4 months & brought a Giant Anthem X29, That he is very happy with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Tallboy Carbon

Not sure about the Jet 9.... But I purchased a SC TB carbon about 8 months ago. The bike flat out "rocks"! Without going into wordy detail... Which, if u r like most of us... Won't read!!! It rides like a 29, but with the beefed up carbon frame, it's as solid as a motocross bike, even during ultra fast rough downhills! But one of the best features, is its shorter wheelbase (than most 29ers) so it corners like a 26". Highly recommend!! This buyer gives it a 4.9 out of 5. Only negative was the disc brake wear was very fast.... Purchased hydralic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    these are the two smaller brands i really like: niner and SC. And one of the 4 brands that will most prob be my next bike.

NINER - looks to be such a great brand and deserves to be more widespread internationally. but they get killed on price vs santa cruz here (which is dear enough as it is). For me to buy one they would need to first match santa cruz price in australia. RDO jet and rip, based on looks, are the best two bikes ive seen. The RDO will remain a dream bike for me based on price however.

SANTA CRUZ - price is just within reach here in australia. I have a trade and im always whinging about the lack of ease of servicability of some of the things i install. The tallboy just looks to me to be super servicable, i find this appealing. There is some controversy about VPP. Most about how it pedals in the granny with the anti-squat built into the design i believe. Mike ferrintino addresses that issue here at the end of this interview:

Santa Cruz Tall Boy: The Interview

There is no free lunch with any suspension design it seems. Personally, i had a chance to ride a blur lt and really liked how its suspension performed. im of the opinion that the potenial negative attributes of vpp will not be a prob for me.

As a counter point, the two other brand im considering:

GIANT - trance and anthem. super budget brand here. always going to be cheaper than niner and SC. With the trance i found myself maybe wishing for just that little more travel. With the anthem i just thought the steering was dull or boring. but good bikes

SPECIALIZED - Epic or stumpy fsr. I love their bikes. They always feel so dialed in. But I hate all the proprietary stuff man. Dearer than Giant. Cheaper than SC and niner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Jet nice rdo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    He brought a Tallboy & sold it after abut 4 months & brought a Giant Anthem X29, That he is very happy with.
    I thought Ace rides a Jet 9 RDO. Of course, we have NO pics to prove that
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good thread, learning much more about the differences between these two and the similarities. 911Holy$, I too wonder why Niner is so much more expensive then SC bikes, they could much smaller company, but they could be more competitive with SC with more competitive price point. I guess that is the whole reason of introducing the Jet 9 Carbon, this gives the lower price point and more affordability.

Does anyone know what is the difference between the Jet 9 Carbon and Jet 9RDO? Is it weight? Technologies?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Does anyone know what is the difference between the Jet 9 Carbon and Jet 9RDO? Is it weight? Technologies?
    The Jet 9c is the previous RDO, the new RDO has a carbon link and a 142 x 12 axle. The shock is an upgrade on the RDO as well and so far, there is the one color option and a new one for the jet 9c, moondust. Weight is the same, the carbon link negates the increase due to the through axle.

Carbon & Ti rule
    The Jet9 carbon is the previous RDO ,But has a different rear shock.

The new RDO has a carbon Top link ,Different rear shock & needle roller bearings on the shock, and a 142 x 12 axle,

There is the one color option and a new one for the jet 9c, moondust. Weight is the same, the carbon link negates the increase due to the through axle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah I saw the Jet 9 carbon comes with what is called a Fox CTD Evolution shock. Anyone know what that is?

The fox shock on the Jet 9RDO just says a FOx CTD. Is the evolution shock a more affordable shock. Or shall I say the plain CTD is new RP23 and the evolution is the RP2?

IS the "maxle" the 12X142?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah I saw the Jet 9 carbon comes with what is called a Fox CTD Evolution shock. Anyone know what that is?

The fox shock on the Jet 9RDO just says a FOx CTD. Is the evolution shock a more affordable shock. Or shall I say the plain CTD is new RP23 and the evolution is the RP2?

Evolution is the bottom version.
    Not to be a jerk but a quick check on Fox's website and you'd see the 3 levels of Shocks/Forks. Factory>Performance>Evolution.

Honestly it's one of the reasons I don't consider Specialized a good value anymore. Their 6k bike come with Performance when other brands cheaper bikes come with Factory like our TBcs.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Honestly it's one of the reasons I don't consider Specialized a good value anymore. Their 6k bike come with Performance when other brands cheaper bikes come with Factory like our TBcs.

I've been trying to tell people this for quite a few years now. Specialized is notorious for that...Even now the Specialized Stumpjumper Expert EVO R comes with X9 shifters, XO rear derailleur and then throw a SRAM PG-1050 (X7 level) cassette on it. Then throw a Phenom comp cr-mo rail saddle on a $4100 bike thats a geared 1x10 w/ a rigid fork.

Then spec out the carbon HT version with SLX, X7, and XTR with a KMC chain...very little consistency and mix and matching parts like it was me building it for someone on a budget....but not a $4200 budget.

Sorry to get off topic.

I think the Santa Cruz is a more streamline company in terms of how they run business. Even at their size, they compete with the likes of Specialized and Giant in terms of offering packages for their bikes..and I find them to be even more complete.
    Last edited by dubdryver; 11-24-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

Carbon & Ti rule

Yes the Maxle on the 2013 Jet9 RDO is 142 x 12

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I would ride a RIP 9 alloy (or carbon if I had some money to blow) if I didn't do a bunch of races. My area is bumpy, rocky and the RIP 9 relaxed head angle and more rigid frame would be sweet.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good thread, learning much more about the differences between these two and the similarities. 911Holy$, I too wonder why Niner is so much more expensive then SC bikes, they could much smaller company, but they could be more competitive with SC with more competitive price point.
    Rev,

Frame only prices I'm shopping.

Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon 142 with FOX CTD Kashima - $2903 - competitive cyclist .com

Niner JET9 RDO 142 with FOX CTD Kashima- $2899 (Niner headset included) -Bike bling .com

Unless I'm missing something and you are finding these cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hmm, that sounds like CC, they are always too expensive, IMO!

Check this out:
    Tallboy LTc frameset $2550 Backcountry- Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy LT Carbon | Backcountry.com

Tallboy C frameset $2257 Backcountry- Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy Carbon | Backcountry.com

Tallboy C frameset $2294 Speedgoat - Speedgoat Bicycles | Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon 29er Frame

Tallboy LTc frameset $2294, this is actually quite interesting because I thought usually the LTc is more expensive than the regular TBc, maybe a typo but it is advertised as such and is really an awesome deal! Speedgoat Bicycles | Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon 29er Frame

Jet 9 RDO framset seems to be all over the place. Starts at 2599 then as low as 1999 (found at Comp Cyclist can you believe it?) However, I think these are all the Jet 9 RDO 1.0 versions. I have a feeling they are trying to move these out first then sell the 2.0 version. The MSRP is $2899 for the 2.0 version everywhere I have found.

So I would say the Tallboy LTc and Tallboy C are cheaper in price point. Built up in a kit the SRAM XX on speedgoat with a Fox 100mm fork is $7999, and the Tallboy C with Fox 120mm front fork is cheaper at $7906 with XTR. So I would say built up there is not much of a difference, by a few dollars at these prices, I stand corrected GSJ1973.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was just on Speedgoats web-site. They don't have
    any Tallboy frames for $2294. What they do have is a
    lot more.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I was just on Speedgoats web-site. They don't have
    any Tallboy frames for $2294. What they do have is a
    lot more.
    Yup, deceiving- it looks like $2294 but that is the price with no rear shock. Play around with shock options and you get $2903 with the Kashima and $2699 with the standard Float CTD. So $2903 seems the new price with the best shock unless your lbs can give you a better deal.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast