mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Is this Carbon Frame Cracked?

Would you guys/gals still ride this frame?

I have had this carbon frame since this spring and have been happy with it. I took a nasty fall and hit a tree a couple of weeks ago. There was no damage from the actual impact with tree. However, I failed to notice that the new straight handle bars puts the shifter and brake levers in a position to hit the top tube when completely turned.

This doesn't look like a complete crack to me but I don't know if it's still safe to ride. You can feel the difference when you put your finger over it.

Would you still ride this frame?

Last edited by LowOnO2; 11-27-2012 at 03:11 PM.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Hard to say, it looks cracked? I would take it to your LBS an see what they say...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    looks like that is in the actual carbon layer to me. You should have your shop check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Looks like a crack and I wouldn't ride it. Take it in to have it looked at or tap it with a coin to see if the tube it sounds "dead" in that area of the tube.
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best...William of Ockham

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Are you saying the bike did not hit the tree but this is from the brakes and shifters hitting the top tube? IF that is the case, I seriously doubt it is cracked. Honestly, that looks like the clear coat is cracked from the brake levers. What kind of bike is this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That is correct. My body took the majority of the blow of the head on collision with the tree. The mark on the top tube is from the levers when the bars were turned more than 90 degrees. I had to use an allen wrench to loosen the levers to get the handle bars back to the normal position.

AZ
    banned
    Sure looks cracked to me, and no I wouldn't ride it until a qualified person checks it out and okay's it to ride.

Cow Clicker
    Looks cracked and next time leave the levers loose so if they do hit, the can move to minimize the impact.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    LBS is most likely only qualified to sell you a new bike. Have a carbon expert look at it.
    Signature

MTB B'dos
    Looks cracked to me, you should be able to easily feel if it feels less rigid than the rest of the frame - normally feels spongy when cracked/can easily be pushed in with your thumb. Wouldn't ride it until I determined the safety of it, not worth the risk to you IMHO. Is that a Chinese special?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    To me it looks like the clear coat has been scraped off and that is all.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LowOnO2 View Post
    Would you guys/gals still ride this frame?

I have had this carbon frame since this spring and have been happy with it. I took a nasty fall and hit a tree a couple of weeks ago. There was no damage from the actual impact with tree. However, I failed to notice that the new straight handle bars puts the shifter and brake levers in a position to hit the top tube when completely turned.

This doesn't look like a complete crack to me but I don't know if it's still safe to ride. You can feel the difference when you put your finger over it.

Would you still ride this frame?

Looks like it is

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Contact Calfee, they repair carbon frames and would be able to offer their expertise or send the image to the mfg for their take, hopefully you are under warranty. If not:

http://www.calfeedesign.com/repair/

Let us know what the verdict is.

Cow Clicker
    Warranty doesn't cover impacts. Maybe crash replacement program. I put pieces of Shelter in that area for protection.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    looks like a significant crack to me , and no I wouldn't ride it unless just around the corner to the shops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    looks like a clear coat scratch
    S-Works Venge
    S-Works Crux Disc
    Stumpjumper Expert EVO HT 29er
    Crux SS - Team Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You can use a bit sandpaper to release the painting to see if its actually broken underneath the paint.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    no need to worry. looks like the clear is damaged not the actual carbon

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Sand it down past the paint, you are looking for severed fibers, from your photo I would guess paint damage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpick915 View Post
    . . . or tap it with a coin to see if the tube it sounds "dead" in that area of the tube.
    This. A tap test will quickly tell you if it is delaminated in the area of the indication. It won't necessarily feel "soft" as someone mentioned.

kgm
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Looks compromised. Call Calfee. It should only be $200 to get it fixed as long as you don't ride it longer and make it fail in a larger area.

I have to get my Top Fuel SSL repaired

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I would not touch the surface with sandpaper. Get it looked at first and don't screw up any evidence for the repairer or inspection.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yes

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    get it prefessionally repaired before riding again - it aint worth the risk.