mtbr member
    May 2005

Carbon DH bars instead of XC to increase height ?

I was thinking of buying a pair of Easton Monkeylite DH carbon riser bars (40mm rise) to play with on my XXL Stumpjumper and 23" Rockhopper. I know they are slightly heavier than the XC bars, but would appreciate the extra height, since currently my flat and low-rise bars (with 10 deg riser stem) are still 2" lower than my seat height.
    The main negative I see is that the DH bars are 711 mm wide and not sure how much they can be safely / effectively trimmed without losing sweep angles

the new Gilbert Grape
    There's no reason that you can't do this. If the clamping diameter of the bar matches your stem it should work fine.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have the same bar on my Nomad, and it's SOLID. It's actually very light except when compared to high end XC bars. It feels much stiffer than anything else I've used but still manages to dampen vibrations better then aluminum bars. I've had some nasty wrecks on mine, and the things are damn near indestructible. I'd recommend trying them out for a at least a few weeks before cutting them. At your size, you may come to appreciate the wider bars when the going gets rough. I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    No negative to being wide, and yes they can be cut, but... "Don't cut em"....run them wide for a while before you trim. I think you may find they are a much better fit. My 5"7" wife runs them full width and said it was a huge improvement in control. Price point or JensonUSA has them on sale for $60. I have run them for years on my xc rigs for the width and security and now run a 29.5 and at 6'2" love it that much more. You may need to run a shorter stem ( another plus in my book) because as the bars get wider your cockpit will stretch out.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    wide bars save lives

OSCMTB
    It's also perfectly acceptable to have bars lower than your seat. In fact I think you'll find most riders that do any amount of real pedaling have their seat higher...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    as has been posted here, i strongly encourage you to experiment with a different stem setup (i.e. shorter stem) with your new Medium width bar (710 is medium these days...740 is wide, and 780+ is very wide).

I have two XC 29ers. on the one with a front shock, which i ride on rocky singletrack fairly aggressively, i found that a 70 mm stem / 710 bar was the ideal combination for uphill and downhill performance especially from a cornering and stability-in-rough-terrain perspective.

sounds like you already are well aware that bars lower than the seat is a common setup, but you'd just like the drop to be a little less. understand, and it's worth trying.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for help guys !
    'Gonna place the order now w/Jenson $80 (31.8mm)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You must be one big dude. Perfectly OK to ride a riser bar on a 29er...especially if you are tall with a high seat. I run a riser on mine.
    Five things for you to play with to tune your fit/reach:
    - Stem length
    - Stem rise
    - Handlebar rise
    - Handlebar width
    - more or less spacers

I like many that have been riding for a while have experimented exhaustively to dial in my fit. I can ride a lot of different setups as others can but amateurs can extrapolate from pros as well. Most pros run a bar drop and some ride off road close to level like Lance who is mostly a road racer who you would think would prefer a saddle to bar drop but not the case. Lance is a great example because he rides a Large frame for his size and stretched out with a fairly high handlebar position. I too ride in this manner. He achieves his reach or power position through horizontal reach and not vertical drop. If you think about it...reach is comprised of two major components....vertical height and horizontal reach. I can many times get comfortable on a mtb one size smaller than normal for me for the simple fact that the bar is closer in which makes a bigger saddle to bar drop less problematic to hand pressure.
    I find that moving the bars in or a wider bar to be a close wash to raising the handlebar via stem rise, more spacers or bar rise.
    The search for the perfect fit never ends. Best tip I can give is more bar drop is better tolerated with a saddle tilt that places the saddle level where your sit bones rest which typically results in most saddles nose up. This same tenent applies to road bikes. Good fit starts with balancing your weight on the saddle at a preferred setback.
    Last edited by dirtrider7; 11-04-2010 at 04:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If the bars don't get you where you need to be keep in mind that Specialized has the adjustable stems.

Trail Junkie
    Have you considered Easton MonkeyLite XC, they are wider than normal XC bars, and freaking strong as heck! I went through quite a lot of grips due to smashing them again trees and not even a ding in the bars. They are very strong and available in an 1.5in. rise!

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/172...lebar-2009.htm
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cool, great info. and much appreciated as I'm new, but riding 3-4 x week for the last (3) months.
    Yeah, Dubdryver I have re-visited that link several times the last week and am considering those after trying the DH bar on both of my bikes, then will purchase one more of the same or the XC bar.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...er+Bar+10.aspx