mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Carbon bars and bar-ends??

Hey there,
    I was wondering if anyone could shed a little light on the matter. so I'm wondering if there is a carbon handlebar that I could put ergon bar ends onto for more leverage for climbing? Fsa, Easton, and salsa don't recommend or endorse it.

Thinking maybe going back to aluminum bars, just so I can put bar ends on.
    It's the racing and weight savings issue's though.

thanks for your thoughts...

mtbr member
    I have the bontrager xxx lite flat bars with ergons that have bar ends. http://bontrager.com/model/07840 according to their site, it is compatible with carbon friendly bar end. I believe that ergon will qualify as friendly.

Trail Junkie
    My Crank Bros. Cobalts are 680 and have a thicker section at the end for that purpose. I can't endcaps in them because of it, but it doesn't do any good if you cut them down.

I just bought my cobalt carbon low rise from bike bling for $79.99
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

banned

Syntace

Syntace has TI reinforced bar ends and stem clamp areas on thier carbon bars. You have to run thier end plug to help reinforce the bar end. Only problem is, they are getting hard to find. From what I understand, there currently is'nt a US distributor.

Excellent product

Trail Junkie
    Yes Syntace are excellent bars....but good luck getting them unless they are on ebay shipped from the east. They dropped out of the U.S. market.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

DG5
    mtbr member
    Edge/ Enve
    I love my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes it can be done you need to renforce the bar end it helps to run them in 1 or 2mm and lightly torque them.
    [IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Niner

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    The Ritchey 10d bars (10 degrees of bend) have beefed up ends, but you probably shouldn't cut them down.
    Last edited by HHL; 03-13-2011 at 04:28 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    I don't think you can run carbon bars OR bar-ends on a 29er
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Check out the manufacturers websites for compatibility. Not all carbon bars are made to have barends clamped to them and will crack.

Now that I have made my disclaimer, I have been using carbon lo rise Monkeylites with barends since they first came out. Not the same bar, actually several on different bikes over the years. First several years with LP carbon barends and last year went to a Ergon barend.

The type of barend clamping is important. Make sure it does not pinch into the carbon, rather clamps over entire bar and does not cause a stress point. I have seen several barends that will crack a bar with minimal torque. (No of course I didn't do something so stupid!) (OK, Yes I did back in the early days)

You can find bars with reinforced ends for barends these days. Also, some bars can have barend plugs installed to eliminate the pressure. Or as I used to do in the early years, sand down and insert a 1" piece of wooden dowel into the bar to keep the barend from crushing the bar. Not what the manufacturer recommends but it worked.

Good luck with the search.
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You should probably use reinforcement plugs on most of the newer, ultra light carbon bars. I had a new easton Haven with Ergon biokork, non bar end grips. The end of the bar gave way with almost no resistance even though i was using a torque wrench. The Biokork doesn't seem to form a nice concentric circle so it tweaked the end just enough to crack it. Easton gave me a new one though-it pays to use your local authorized dealer! I used a reinforcement plug made of aluminum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    I don't think you can run carbon bars OR bar-ends on a 29er
    You can if it is 29'er specific carbon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have easton sl bars and cane creek ends. I emailed easton and they said it was okay. And they are working fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got Race flat bars. They come with aluminum plugs for bar end use. Two seasons, and no problems with my Specialized Overendz.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I use Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Flats with Ergon GX2's, barend compatible on the Bontrager website.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

ADIDAB
    I second the Syntace set-up.

I've been using the Duraflite 31.8 carbon bar with my Ergon GC-2's and have had zero issues. I did also purchase their CRB bar plugs as recommended by Syntace as most carbon bars need some reinforcement when using bar ends...

Stock is out there but be prepared to search...
    My LBS | Riding this and this