mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Canyon vs Cannondale 29er hardtail

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, but prior to creating login I got a chance to read some of the posts. I did however not find answer to my questions hence start new post.

I am searching for a light 29er hardtail with moderately light wheels, responsive fork and overall good components. My preference is to have it as comfortable as possible (I know its still hardtail) for XC biking but without too much compromise on energy efficiency. I am a bit heavy (90kg) rider and I am afraid of carbon frame due to risk of accident damages and weight limits. Until now I used 26 wheels, but this year I planned few long marathons and decided to switch to big wheel.

I found two bikes for the same price and seek some inputs on which is better. Below some pros/cons. I never used lefty but it is intriguing. Overall I wish for a bike that has a nice design.

1. Canyon Al Grand Canyon 9.9 SL
    + components especially wheels, weight and price (2000 EUR)
    + throught axles
    + easy in handling bike due to aluminium frame (e.g. transport, accidents)
    + colour scheme
    - rather stiff frame
    - apparently derailleurs internal rooting may cause some sounds
    - no local service

2. Cannondale Fsi Carbon 4 2016 (price 2050EUR after discount)
    + carbon frame with some "comfort build in" with life time warranty and 136kg limit for system
    + lefty?
    + local shop
    - weak components especially brakes, wheels and front mech
    - might be 0,5kg heavier than canyon above
    - colour -> green scheme not my preferred

Links
    https://www.canyon.com/en-dk/mtb/gra...lx-9-9-sl.html

F-Si Carbon 4 Cannondale

Best regards,

Abelard

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks BEEB. I checked and only Cannondale F-Si 1 2016 is in the right size. Same spec as Carbon 4 but alu frame. Indeed I would have 700 EUR for upgrades but not sure after spending it all I would get better package than Canyon.

hardcore
    Jul 2010
    https://shop.zweirad-stadler.de/Fahr...1-11-40-Z.html
    460euros and you have a FULL XT groupset, brakes included but I guess no discs. This was a random example showing you that 700euros are a lot of money for upgrades especially in Europe where Shimano is cheap compared to US.

I had a Canyon bike back in 2013, the frame was of bellow average quality in therms of finish. I do not think I would ever consider them again as better options are around for 29er hardtails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks again this is helpful. I check again and this Cannondale alu is not available in size M any more. But the price of XT group is not expensive in your link indeed and I would have some parts to sell off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not many future oriented choices.
    Given your size I'd save up a bit more and go with this.
    Giant XtC Advanced + 1 2017-70036715MASTER
    27.5+ Fox 34 Boost fork will also fit a 29 and some 29+ tires on other wheelsets.
    This frame is designed with short reach numbers so you are likely a Large.

hardcore
    Jul 2010
    3000euros is kinda far from 2000euros. I have seen the the 2016 Cannondale F-SI Hi Mod team demo bike for 3000euros. And that is a 7000euros build with Enve wheels and all thhe goodies. Check it @ Cannondale F-Si HM Team Test-Mountainbike - bikeline Munich

Another new option.

Cannondale F-SI Carbon 3 29 2016, black/white - Mountain Bike im Biker-Boarder Shop kaufen

@ Abelard. Do not rush in to purchase stuff at retail, german site have all kind of surprises so better look around before dropping the cash.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm roughly 87-88kg and ride a carbon hardtail, it's got over 2k miles of rocky rough terrain and hasn't skipped a beat. A few tough crashes but only superficial damage. I setup the bike between 9.8kg (rigid and singlespeed but still dropper post) to 11kg with 1x10 and rockshox fork and dropper post. I can get a lot of versatility with these changes, faster trails, slower chunk, 100k+ day long tour, or just a quick one hour rip after work.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    One of my riding/racing buddies is very-very close to your weight, he puts a ton of hard miles on a Santa Cruz carbon hardtail with Enve wheels and hasn't had any trouble. Unless you're really hard on equipment I would assume most modern carbon bikes would hold up fine for you.
    I wasn't so sure about the internal routing on my bike (Raleigh Talus Pro carbon hardtail), but it's super easy to thread cables through, and the cable housing stays a lot cleaner, dead-quiet too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Enve M50 rim is only 21mm inner width. And it's punishingly stiff when riding a hardtail. Enve rims work for DH and Enduro competition. Mere mortals need some comfort. Certainly the XTC should be available at a good discount if you shop. I'd aim for 25% at least. Once you ride a hardtail with wide rims and high volume tires at lower pressures you want the versatility to experiment and tune.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'd take the Cannondale by some margin. It's 3 pounds lighter with lots of upgrade potential. The Lefty 2.0 is better than the Fox, and I'd equally prefer Deore M615 brakes over the more trouble-prone XT M8000 brakes. The Canyon does have better wheels (not by much) and an 11-speed drivetrain. If you're planning to run 1X, that's useful. If you're not, it doesn't matter; the 10 is just as good.

They're both hardcore XC bikes that ride like granite because they assume you'll be out of saddle most of the time. You could soften them a bit with 2.4 tires and the right seat post, but "comfortable" isn't the first word they bring to mind. The durability of carbon shouldn't be a factor. You'll break yourself before a C'dale carbon frame gives way.

My other ride
    I don't have a brand allegiance, but my race bike is an F-Si.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thank you for replies. I am tending more and more towards Cannondale. I located as per above FSI Carbon 3 at 2299EUR in Germany, so only 300EUR more than Carbon 4. However, not sure if I get it over the net how to deal with warranty claims if any?

It has also not that well reviewed Magura MT-RACE brakes. That said Mavic rims and complete XT drivetrain seems to be a very good deal. I used Mavic crossride in size 26 and was very happy. But no experience with Stan's ZTRs. Are any of these better than other?

Any of you experience Cannondale warranty? Is there a difference if its purchased over internet or local shop? I would still service Lefty locally.

I could also go for Carbon 4 and upgrade drive train using end of year discounts.
    Last edited by Abelard; 02-19-2017 at 10:30 AM.

My other ride
    I have Flow MK3 my trail bike.

My F-Si came with Arch MK2, switched to Crest MK3, and now on Valor (this week). Np possible with Arch or Crest on the stock Cannondale hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The warranty applies if you're the original owner and the bike was purchased at an authorized C'dale retailer. Doesn't matter if it's online. Subsequent warranty claims can be brought through any authorized C'dale retailer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Some weeks ago I purchased Cannodale FSi Carbon 3 from 2016. It was very helpful to receive your ideas. Thank you for that.

Bike rides very well, feels like I can drive much faster but not sure if this is due to 29 wheels or frame and fork. In comparison to Canyon Exceed (also super fast bike) which I had for a week the frame build quality is higher at first sight especially due to paint finish. Having that in mind, Canyon probably prioritized weight. The Lefty is smooth, I like I can lock it directly at the fork. When locked like a stone. On the down side the presta got loose in my rear tube which have never happen to me since I bike. Easy fix but undermines quality.

Finally, I am straggling with the gears. Since it arrives its not right. I spend hours to adjust gears. Despite not being an expert I think it should be pretty well done and yet the chain tends to fall off the gear when I turn it backwards on the stand, mainly when its on the biggest gear in rear and on bigger ring in front. When the chain is in line then no issue. Gears switch good. It looks like the chain is the issue. I clean it then applied oil and removed the excess. Could it be its due to drive-train being moved 6mm to the right? Or simply its a chain issue? Wheel seems to be in position. Any clue what can I do to fix it? Chears.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Abelard View Post
    and yet the chain tends to fall off the gear when I turn it backwards on the stand, mainly when its on the biggest gear in rear and on bigger ring in front.
    Having the chain fall off when in the largest rear cog while pedaling backwards is a common issue. You make the problem even worse by being in the biggest front chain ring. You are setting up the most extreme cross chain situation that you could.
    I can't imagine why you would ever be in that situation when on the trail while pedaling backwards.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Fair enough. I used to do it in the past to check if the gears are well set. Could happen on the trail that when I go over obstacle I may go backwards on the drive train. Any way in driving direction it does not work well on extreme gears. Is your logic that basically I cannot use the full range really and shall switch from small in front to big when engaging smaller rings in the back? Thats what I do any way not to put too much stress on chain. But I do not remember to have such a issue with 3x10.