mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Cannondale vs Canyon

I'm trying to decide whether I should get a Cannondale F29 Carbon 1 or a Canyon Grand Canyon 29 CF SLX 8.9 and upgrade it with American Classic Race 29 wheels, XTR Race brakes, lighter handlebars + seatpost.

The Canyon with the upgrades will cost me 5000 USD, the F29 Carbon 1 will cost me 6250 USD.

I can't decide whether the Hi-mod flash frame, the carbon lefty and the (heavier) carbon wheels are worth the higher price of the Canyon.

One of my concerns with the Cannondale is the higher stack height (64.1 vs 62.36 cm for the Canyon).

I'd be happy to hear some opinions

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'd get a canyon all the way.

Heard nothing but good things about canyon bikes. Race worthy, proven (Sonya Looney/Topeak Ergon).

Sick bike in my opinion. The Cdale would be nice and all but the canyons exotic, different, and I've heard their ride quality is amazing. Sadly...never ridden one...but it's on my shortlist of bikes to get.

Not Bad
    Canyon are definitely on the radar now, think this coming year will be a good one for them and I am seriously considering a HT 29er from them too at some point...
    2015 Trek Remedy 9.9 27.5" on the way!
    2015 Trek Farley 8
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2014 Cove Hummer 650bj29

Code:

Instagram

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If only the Canyon had a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Are you in North Amercia? Can you even get Canyons here? Also check out the warranties.

mtbr member
    I just got my 2013 flash carbon 3 and am very happy with it. You will not be disappointed with the cannondale . The Canyon i have not ridden but did look into when considering my purchase and they look a quality outfit with some really good germanic attention to detail when it comes to design and more importantly testing . Either way great bikes and i am sure you will love whichever you choose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    cannondale is gonna be the best warrant wise. Canyon I believe just has a crash replacement policy for 3 years with a discount on a frame replacement. Not quite as good as cannondale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wouldn't be able to get the Canyon until the end of April, so I went out and got the Cannondale. It's standing right next to me.

Lovely bike, can't wait to rip out the inner tubes and take it for a spin this weekend

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had my Carbon 1 now for 9 months and haven't wished for anything else,serious bike.
    Yup...tubes were the first to go.

mtbr member
    In Europe, the Canyon brand is considered something like Huffy in the USA. The same with Cube. They're cheap budget brands that have some nice bikes, but lack real innovation and soul. Cannondale on the other hand....

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    In Europe, the Canyon brand is considered something like Huffy in the USA. The same with Cube. They're cheap budget brands that have some nice bikes, but lack real innovation and soul. Cannondale on the other hand....

I don't agree with that statement what so ever. I had a Cube HT when I lived in Germany and it was a fantastic looking bike. The rear triangle had great looking seat/chainstays and had a lot of the innovative stuff the more expensive bikes had but at a friendlier cost. I also had a Canyon as did a friend as well when we were living in Belgium. Great bike there too, but I guess you could say it was more bland. It did perform well though!

The great thing about those bikes were how decent they were spec'd for their price point, and I think that holds true today as it did 10yrs ago when I bought my first Cube. They don't try to market you to death with innovative designs that imply that their product are not even in the same league as the competition. They just make solid bikes with proven components at a fair price.

I think C'dale pretty much lost their soul. They've suffered poor ownership, turning production to overseas no longer able to bear the label "Handmade in the U.S.A.", went bankrupt and getting bought out to fall under the Dorel Industries umbrella, a company that started out making home and office furnishings and and destroyed the good name that GT, Dyno, Iron Horse, and Schwinn once had.

Now in C'dale's, their new line-up of the F29 and Scalpel 29 are both pretty slick, and the present offerings make no indication that they will fall to the same fate as Dorel's other brands..but history does tend to have a way of repeating itself.

I say, if you have access to a Canyon, and you like it along with the way it rides...go for it. The Lefty forks are nice..but so is the price of the Canyon bikes.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I couldn't disagree more.

Canyon is anything but a budget brand. They sponsor a pretty high class mountain biker and a solid team that's gone to worlds.

Not to mention the fact...have you SEEN their TT bike? That things a beast.

Their R&D is anything but lacking in innovation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had probably gotten the Canyon if it hadn't been for the delivery times. But I have to admit the Cannodale seems like a very complete package. Race-ready out of the box. That's worth to keep in mind as well IMO.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by jayseakay View Post
    I couldn't disagree more.

Canyon is anything but a budget brand. They sponsor a pretty high class mountain biker and a solid team that's gone to worlds.

Not to mention the fact...have you SEEN their TT bike? That things a beast.

Their R&D is anything but lacking in innovation.
    +1 to what jayseakay said above. Having raced and ridden both brands.....and having had product input with both brands internally....they are similar in terms of quality and innovation. Only major difference between the 2 brands from my perspective is their selling model to the consumer; IBD vs consumer direct. Both brands are at the top of the list when it comes to R & D

mtbr member
    Canyon sponsor a high class mountainbike racer to get rid of the image of budget brand. It's no denying they started out that way. They improved considerably when the contracted the frame designed from Votec when Votec collapsed. But the perception remains, maybe it's to do with their paintscheme? I don't know. The selling model is also pointing in the budget direction, there are no dealers, just a website. Have you found geometry numbers on their website? I can't. That has to be one of the most important info about a bike and they leave it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I saw the 8.9 in the green team colors at a distribution center/showroom. The green accents on the fork didn't match the green on the frame. Maybe it looks better in more expensive team edition model.

I do think the black/white/red looks awesome though. My only problem with them are the delivery times. That, and the fact that it is nearly impossible to try a bike for size (and the online sizing calculator is inadequate IMO).

And yes, their prices are good, but if you compare the Canyon that would be delivered in week 9 (9.9 SL) with the Cannondale I just got, I think the Cannondale is better value for money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have you found geometry numbers on their website? I can't. That has to be one of the most important info about a bike and they leave it out.
    The Geo is under a tab you missed. First choose a model like the 8.9 CF SLX by selecting the Go to Bike. Then scroll down a little until you see the frame. The Equipment + Geometry tab gives you the full geo if you scroll down below the equipment. Here's the page with the tab already chosen--
    .Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon CF SLX 29 8.9
    This geo is among the best out there. The six year warranty is replacement. They offer a sliding discount frame replacement plan for crashes.
    Here's a review by the guys at twentynineinches--
    Canyon Presents 2013 CF SLX Carbon Hard Tail 29"ers
    If I could get this in the US I would choose it. I would like a frame, but the current frame price is not as good a value as a complete. A Scott Scale 910 is less expensive , even through a dealer without a discount. I hope they re-evaluate that.

In the US, a sponsored rider won the Leadville 100 last summer on a factory prototype bike. The Topeak/Ergon team won the multi-day TransAlp also last summer with a two bike team.
    Last edited by eb1888; 01-19-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Canyon has had issues getting bikes to the US and servicing US customers. I think they make awesome bikes, and if I lived in Europe I would be interested, but not in the US. Can you even imagine dealing with a warranty claim? Cannondale has true heart, soul, and innovation, is serviced everywhere on the Front Range, and makes undeniably great bikes. Plus, uh... Lefty! Duh.

Trail Junkie
    They improved considerably when the contracted the frame designed from Votec when Votec collapsed.
    This I didn't know....I use to drool over the Votec bikes when I lived in Germany. A full suspension carbon fiber frame that weighed around 23lb back in 2000. Probably lighter as a custom... Pretty nasty bike for the time!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Tell me about it I used to ride a Zaskar with a Votec fork. Best forks I ever owned. Light, stiff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Canyon sponsor a high class mountainbike racer to get rid of the image of budget brand. It's no denying they started out that way. They improved considerably when the contracted the frame designed from Votec when Votec collapsed. But the perception remains, maybe it's to do with their paintscheme? I don't know. The selling model is also pointing in the budget direction, there are no dealers, just a website. Have you found geometry numbers on their website? I can't. That has to be one of the most important info about a bike and they leave it out.
    Click on equipment and geometry

Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon CF SLX 29 9.9 LTD

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Cannondale would probably be best considering the go-bewteen would be seemless. That is Canyon's only real flaw right now...not being accessible to the US. Maybe they'll get there. Who knows? But you can't knock their bikes. They have great geo, great components, and they're race proven.Cannondale is just as good however...both companies offer different things. Personally, I just prefer the look of the Canyons better.