mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 5

I found a new 2012 Trail SL 29er 5 for $550 at a lbs. I am thinking this would be a good first MTB but I don't know alot about Cannondale. I thought I had decided on the Trek Marlin but I got distracted. Any issues that I should know? I will mainly be doing light trails and some asphalt with friends. I have heard good things about the Cannondale frames and would over time upgrade the components.

mtbr member
    I had the SL3 (Single speed version) and really liked it. In my opinion, the frame is good and is upgradeable.

That said, I don't know much about the components on SL5, but I suspect they will be serviceable.

I'd suggest taking a ride on both and seeing which one feels the best to you. Good luck with your purchase!
    2015 Trek Farley
    2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 650b
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyeggo View Post
    I had the SL3 (Single speed version) and really liked it. In my opinion, the frame is good and is upgradeable.

That said, I don't know much about the components on SL5, but I suspect they will be serviceable.

I'd suggest taking a ride on both and seeing which one feels the best to you. Good luck with your purchase!
    Thanks. Going back tomorrow for black Friday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The RST fork on the C'dale and the Suntour on the Marlin have no adjustable rebound damping. Good enough for bike paths and light trail use. Once the speed and bumps go up they pogo and fail. Bike Radar says "punishing offroad."
    Bluesky has upgrades starting at about 150.
    .BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29er Coil Fork
    The fork is the most important component on a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Going to cough up a few more bucks and get the Trek Mamba.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Get a good deal, offer 25% less than list to start. At list in that range the Airborne Goblin currently has the 2012 dual air Reba fork. This is one of the best for tuning. 2013 is downgraded solo air. Build or buy some ArchEx wheels for it and SLX brakes, light tires likes RaRa pertormance if you ride hardpack. Put on the miles on any level of trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Get a good deal, offer 25% less than list to start. At list in that range the Airborne Goblin currently has the 2012 dual air Reba fork. This is one of the best for tuning. 2013 is downgraded solo air. Build or buy some ArchEx wheels for it and SLX brakes, light tires likes RaRa pertormance if you ride hardpack. Put on the miles on any level of trail.
    Just got home from my lbs. Bought a 2013 Mamba for just under $900.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good choice. Here's a couple vids.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    Cornering with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    That cornering technique has to go through slaloming on paved hills and grassy hills and with some braking besides what he shows on the flats.

29ers Forever
    Get the Cannondale. The Trail 5 has a lockout and is 24 speed. No need to get a Suntour fork on a bike (Trek)
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie