mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4 fork questions.

Hi guys so I am going to look at a Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4 2012 model later this week as my first bike. It seems to have a decent component set, I am wondering a bit about the Cannondale Helix 3 disc brakes and how good they are so if anyone has any input that would be appreciated and also the front fork is apparently not a bad fork to start with but I see it is a 1.5" Headtube, and most forks are for 1 1/8" is it going to be a pain to find a good fork upgrade down the road if I want to?

ballbuster

Nah...

Quote Originally Posted by alarsen77 View Post
    Hi guys so I am going to look at a Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4 2012 model later this week as my first bike. It seems to have a decent component set, I am wondering a bit about the Cannondale Helix 3 disc brakes and how good they are so if anyone has any input that would be appreciated and also the front fork is apparently not a bad fork to start with but I see it is a 1.5" Headtube, and most forks are for 1 1/8" is it going to be a pain to find a good fork upgrade down the road if I want to?
    1.5 headtubes are easily adapted to 1 1/8" or 1 1/8"-1.5 tapered. You just get a different headset, or an adapter ring.

I have no idea about Helix brakes, but I'll bet pot brownies to poundcake they are rebranded Maguras or Hayes. They're probably fine. If/when you wear the calipers out (as in, they start leaking or sticking a lot) new good brakes can be had for about a hundred bucks an end. The only real worry is the availability of replacement brake pads. See if you can find out what pads they use, and hopefully they are not some funky proprietary Cannondale pads... I doubt they will be.

mtbr member
    As stated above, its pretty easy, just get the adapter. The 1.5 headtube is actually pretty nice becuase you can pretty much run any fork you want. I'm having my stock fork replaced next week on my tral sl 29 to a tapered Reba SL. I'll post pics here for you when its done.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Here is my 2012. Brakes work flawless, no complaints from me. Have 50 miles of tough singletrack & everything is holding up good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am going to go check one of these out this Friday and see what I think of it. Going to check out a trek mamba too. Have already looked at a giant talon and a specialized hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    As promised. Upgraded fork. If you are on the fence about a Cdale Trail, don't hesitate to get it. Just make sure you get one with 1.5 headtube. If you get a frame with 1 1/8 headtube, you have to change the frame out to get stiffer. Not knocking the 1 1/8 frames out there that are specd high, but there's a tradeoff. If you are a newb, you won't notice the diff. But once you ride a tapered or 1.5 headtube with a thru axle, then you will notice the stiffer front. I love my Cdale trail so much, I almost put my XO stuff on it. The point is, the CDale frame is worth upgrading. The rear tire clearance could be a bit better but you can run 2.2 in the rear.

Reba with 20mm thru axle polking a 20mm Hadley DH hub, HOLY STIFFY

massive 1.5 headtube, look how smooth the welds are on the headtube, almost like glass

2x10 with x9 and Hadley 10mm bolt on...freaking awsome!! Look at the rear triangle. The tubes are shaped thinner and wider in the middle (a little hard to see in pic, but its there), thats the "Save" tech to make the rear somewhat like a soft tail. Some guys have reported that with the "Save" frame and "Save" seatpost and running the tire tubless with low pressure, they almost feel like there on a FS bike.

In conclusion, the Cdale Trail tends to be lower specd than some budget bikes, but the frame is awsome. Best of luck what ever you get.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well I bought a bike today. Went into the shop expecting to get the cannondale trail sl 29er 4 or the trek mamba.

I start talking to the guy and he says well can I show you a bike that's a little bit more than your price range but a better component set and we have a little bit of discount cause they are discontinuing the color.

Long story short I ended up getting the cannondale trail sl 29er 3 In the light green. I will be picking it up next Friday actually cause that is my next day off and I had to put some money down to hold it and give them the rest after my next check. But I got one hell of a nice bike now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Almost forgot I took a pic of it too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Now that I have 10 posts I can post it for you guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey is that WOODEN WHEELS. If so thats where I just bought my c dale

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No it's genesis bicycles.