mtbr member
    May 2010

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2 -good start?

I have been wanting to get back into riding for a couple years now, and with getting a little older and having kids, the fitness aspect of it is sort of pushing me to really get the shopping going. I've been reading as much as I can on this forum (tons of great info) and have visited a couple local shops.

I had pretty much decided the Specialized Hardrock would be good enough to get started, but walked into another store today and found an almost new Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2. A friend of the LBS owner had bought and ridden it a couple of times and brought it back and bought a carbon bike. Very little noticeable wear (really the only thing I found was that one of the cables had rubbed some paint off the top of the fork) but other than that it looked really good. Then I made the mistake of riding it down the street next to the shop and of course it felt great.

They want $1000 for it. It is a 2012 model. Of course this includes lifetime tuneups from the shop and they will make sure it is spotless when I pick it up. Plus it is the flat black/gray color that I really like.

Being out of the game for so long, it's kind of hard to judge that price. Would that be a reasonable deal?

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looking at this bike myself. Recon fork, Sram 5, saw it for 1099, if I can apply 10% off coupon I may go for this. Will test ride tomorrow, if I do not like it I may just go for an Airborne Guardian or a BD bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Do you find the handlebars too wide for the cannondale?
    Hi,
    I'm purchasing the Cannondale 2012 Flash Alloy #3 model bike

Upon trying it on at a bike shop, the owner recommended that I cut the handlebars from 27inches down to 25 inches. They mentioned that it would be tight on trails.
    Upon calling another bike shop, the mechanic informed me that the wider handle bars are there for better leverage and does not recommend it.

I would like to know everyone's opinion it. Do you ride with wide handlebars?
    Im 5feet5inches tall with about 31-32 inseam.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlOnBikeNY View Post
    Hi,

Upon trying it on at a bike shop, the owner recommended that I cut the handlebars from 27inches down to 25 inches. They mentioned that it would be tight on trails.
    Upon calling another bike shop, the mechanic informed me that the wider handle bars are there for better leverage and does not recommend it.

I'm 6'1, and wear a 48L jacket and I have monkey arms. The one I'm looking at is an XL but felt great, and I didn't feel like Grape Ape on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have the Trail SL 29er 2....it is an amazing bike. $1,000 for the SL2 in great condition with lifetime tuneups is well worth it. From what I understand, it is near impossible to find in XL as Cannondale is way behind on production, so a few hundred $$ off plus lifetime maintenance I think that sounds good.

The SL2 has a great fork on it being the RockShox Recon Solo Air, which I don't think is available on any lower model. It feels very plush even compared to the Trail SL3. SRAM X5 is a great component (very responsive) set and the SAVE technology really works. I would ride it first on the trails, then decide if you want to cut the bars. I ended up cutting about .5 inches on each side of mine, fits for me. I am 6'2 with longer arms and the Trail SL2 XL is perfect for my size.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just an update, I picked it up Monday afternoon. I've only been able to put about 13 miles on it but so far I am very happy with the purchase and the LBS.

Taking it back in today for some minor adjustments and to look at some accessories.

unpossibles
    I picked up a leftover 2011 for $999 a few months back and my only complaint so far is that I haven't had enough time to ride it. It's a great bike for the price, enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye680 View Post
    Just an update, I picked it up Monday afternoon. I've only been able to put about 13 miles on it but so far I am very happy with the purchase and the LBS.

Taking it back in today for some minor adjustments and to look at some accessories.
    Congrats. You may want to look into going tubeless, one of the best upgrades I feel that can be made. Also a bike computer with heart rate monitor is handy on the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rsolti13 View Post
    Congrats. You may want to look into going tubeless, one of the best upgrades I feel that can be made. Also a bike computer with heart rate monitor is handy on the trails.
    I am looking into trip computers, but right now I am pretty impressed with an app on my phone called Endomondo. You set it for whatever you're doing (walking, running, mountain biking, road biking, etc) and tracks you and then uploads your workouts to their website where you can log in and view the routes that you took. I just need to find a good mount for the phone instead of just shoving it in my pocket.

Oh, and a good light set. Grabbed one from Walmart last night in a pinch in a Bell package, front light is ok but the rear light took some rigging to stay put on the tube. I will be at the shop this afternoon for a few tweaks and will look there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlOnBikeNY View Post
    Hi,

Just move the controls in without cutting the bars, find a spot they feel the best and then cut if needed.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ACtually I moved the controls in and it does feel better. Now I have a piece of the handle bar jutting out. It doesn't bother me that much. Is there a need to cut it?

New Guy
    Feb 2011
    From a safety standpoint, I would have them cut off, or at least cover the ends with some sort of rubber plug, etc. I've never seen it firsthand, but have always heard exposed bar ends can do some MAJOR damage to a rider if they were to fall on them in the event of an accident.