mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Cannondale Trail S2- Maintenance&Modifying

Hey guys!

I bought a brand new, Trail SL2 last summer- rode the bike mostly on weekends on some lighter trails and i'm thinking it may be time to either lubricate the chain and give it a general clean up. How do I go about cleaning the sprockets and the derailer?

Modification- I know tires (Kenda's) are crap, and I hate the fact that a $1,000+ bike has plastic pedals. I was thinking of some Spank Spike units- your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker01 View Post
    Hey guys!

I bought a brand new, Trail SL2 last summer- rode the bike mostly on weekends on some lighter trails and i'm thinking it may be time to either lubricate the chain and give it a general clean up. How do I go about cleaning the sprockets and the derailer?
    I use a car wash brush and a bucket of soapy water. Wash, rinse, repeat. Lube chain when clean.

mtbr member
    I bought the exact same bike last year, the Kenda tires are great, so far not one single let down.

You should lubricate the chain often, 1 and a 1/2 month period is what I usually lubricate mine.

About this bike, I've almost completed the 7000 km on it and the problems I can tell so far are:
    Brakes - I liked Avid. Before I used them. I don't understand why would a 29er have 160mm brakes.
    Bottom Bracket - Don't know why but it makes a tic-tic noise everytime I pedal.
    And sram x-5 in the back is not my favourite, although it has failed very few times.

Everything else is still to come

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't use water. I take the wheel off if they're dirty and take the cassette off. Easy to clean with brake cleaner and an old towel. A tooth brush and towel can clean the derailleur parts. I like Stihl bar oil for my chain. I use a plastic syringe to suck some up and drip it on the inside of each roller top and bottom over newspapers and slowly crank the chain around a bunch of times and then take the excess off running it through the towel. No water. The inside is where the wear happens so the outer chain plates can be wiped dry so they don't attract dirt.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I usually just get lube and a paper towel and soak the chain pretty good. A lot of the dirt comes off that way as well and you don't need to soak the bike.

The reason for the crappy stock pedals is that pedals are typically such a preference thing that most people buy what they want separately and put them on after (clipless, flats, lots to chose from in each category). Instead of them spending more money on pedals that will likely be replaced they throw some crappy ones on so that people can test ride the bikes beforehand. If you notice, some of the higher end bikes don't even come with pedals at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I use dry lube on my chain. It has worked great for me since I bought my SL3 last fall. It actually pushes the dirt out and I just wipe off the chain. There is no mess on my derailleur or cassette either.

I wash my bike every week. I wash it like my car with a sponge, soap, and hose it down. I don't soap my hubs, pedals, or crank. I try to use common sense and everything has been working for me thus far.

I love my stock Kenda SB8's. Not for everyone, but they are for me!! XC racers don't need big Knobbies so I'm not sure why the general public think they do. What I hate though are the stock wheelset and hubs!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So for cleaning brake cleaner and a tooth brush to clean the front derailer. Would the same procedure apply for the cassette?