mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Cannondale Trail 7 problems, Overdrive Sport potential replacement?

So, a few weeks ago I picked up a Cannondale Trail 7 from the LBS, I haven't even hit the trail once with it, I have been on neighborhood roads and some grassy fields with it trying to get acquainted with it.

After the first time I road it, I noticed the gears were slipping when under pressure or going up hills and the chain was back-lashing very badly, figured maybe something had loosened up, so the LBS told me to bring it back and they would tune it back up. Waited a couple of days since they were busy, they finished it up, took it home and 5 minutes later it was slipping on gears again, let them know, brought it back again and they worked on it again. Took it home and it is still acting up.

The service guy told me I needed to gear down more before going up the hill, but to me, I should be able to use whatever gear my legs can power up the hill. He said the drive train on the bike isn't an expensive one and that it can't handle the stress. It's not like I am trying to climb hills in the highest gears or anything either. I have problems with it in multiple combos, normally 1st gear up front and 5-8in back are problematic, and 2nd gear up front and higher in the back etc. I haven't tried climbing in 3rd gear up from, but I suspect the same since it is much higher than he said to climb in anyways.

So my question is, I don't want to be taking the bike to the shop after I ride it every time. I recently found a Diamondback Overdrive Sport for the same price I paid for the 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 and I am wondering if anyone thinks I would have better luck out of it and if the drive train is a better drive train than in the Trail 7?

Thanks.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Tell the guy at the bike shop to fix it or buy it back. Even the cheapest drive trains don't skip.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That was my thinking exactly.

I wasn't sure if the Overdrive Sport was worth the additional trouble of trying to return the other bike and get that one. I don't think I would have problems returning if I decided to since I have had, to date, unsolvable problems.