mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Cannondale SL1 vs. Trek Superfly Al

I hate to add another what-to-buy thread but I don't want to make a bad call on a bike.

My LBS has a Cannondale Trail SL1 I was going to buy but then I see that the Superfly Al is discounted to only be $100 more. ($1,500 vs. $1,600 if it matters.)

Spec-wise it means a RockShox Reba RL Solo Air vs. RockShox Recon Gold TK, and on the Trek virtually all the ancillary stuff is Bontrager vs. Cannondale's in-house stuff. The Trek also has a remote lockout which is nice.

Am I splitting hairs here or missing out on a huge upgrade that's well worth the extra hundred bucks? I hear MBAction recently gave a thumbs-up on the Cannondale which is encouraging.

Please chime in if you can offer any advice. Either way I'll be on a new bike this week.

Thanks! Jeff

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Get the Trek. The Reba is a better fork, and has 100mm over 80mm. Other than that, it is your call on what is better to ride.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trek has slack geo C'dale hasn't updated. This means Trek is more stable at speed going downhill and through fast turns--less twitchy. So ride them in and out of ditches not just around the lot. Even better would be a 2012 Superfly with the much better dual air Reba. Have your lbs check around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks guys - exactly the kind of info I wanted. I prefer the long-trail stability too so that helps. (I ride dirtbikes as well--same principles.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got it (the Trek.) I appreciate the help. Now if there only weren't tornado warnings around the city I could go for a spin.

Thanks again, Jeff