mtboaxaca
    Oct 2009

Cannondale Rush 29er

For fun I made a 2006 Rush 29er. It took a little time to get the rear aligned but I did it in about 3 hrs. The rear travel is now 130mm and the front a Lefty Max reduced to 120mm. The bike rides and handles good. Since my riding area consists of deep ditches and big rocks I decided on a 13.50 BB for pedal clearance. I have beat and jumped the frame trying to see if I could shake loose any weld but no luck!

WB-46.125"
    CS-17.75"
    BB-13.50"
    SO-30.35"

Weight- 26.5 lbs.

I'm now looking for another to take on so stay tuned!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Rush 29er-rush-29er.jpg  

Last edited by MTBOaxaca; 01-14-2011 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Cool! What all did you have to do to the rear?
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtboaxaca
    Oct 2009
    I had to extend the rear swing arm about 1.125" and move the drop-outs up to compensate for the larger tire diameter.

Night Rider
    Nov 2009
    Man...thats crazy! Good job. I have seen a lot of people doing a 650b Rush, but nothing like this.

Who did the welding?

ride more
    Mar 2007
    nice, I rode a 650b Rush for a while, I always thought about putting a 29r on the front, you did that and then some...

mtboaxaca
    Oct 2009
    I did the welding in my shop. You do not need to spend 2k for a FS 29er frame. Start with a 26er that has good stand over and do your calculations. Some FS designs are going to be more complicated to modify vs others, but it can be done! I'm looking for a Maestro or DW link to try next. It should be a fun project.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hello!

Just got a spare swingarm on ebay and are going to do the same surgery.

Do you mind share a little more about how it handles? Do you have any more pics on the welding?

Thanks in advance!

/Fredde

mtboaxaca
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fredde_se View Post
    Hello!

Just got a spare swingarm on ebay and are going to do the same surgery.

Do you mind share a little more about how it handles? Do you have any more pics on the welding?

Thanks in advance!

/Fredde
    It handles pretty good for a conversion. I'm using a Lefty 130 but you could even use a 110 and it would steer a little quicker. Sorry but I do not have any more welding photos. I just put the frame in the stand and started working out the details(tire clearance, chain stay length, the travel I wanted, BB height). Have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    how did you deal with the heat treat aspect?

I don't know what alloy they used but I would assume that you would need to anneal and then re-heat treat the rear end of that thing after you welded in the spacers.

mtboaxaca
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gk02 View Post
    how did you deal with the heat treat aspect?

I don't know what alloy they used but I would assume that you would need to anneal and then re-heat treat the rear end of that thing after you welded in the spacers.
    I did not reheat treat the swing arm. After many months of abuse no cracks........seems to be fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was thinking of doing similar with my Marin mount vision. It has bolt on dropouts so would be easy to machine longer dropouts or dropout adapters.Have to use a 100mm fork and bottom bracket height would sky rocket though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Work in progress...

/Fredde
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Rush 29er-dropouts2.jpg  

Trail Junkie
    MTBO - Pretty handy work for sure! I am very impressed! Do you normally ride with road pedals or was it serving as a road bike for the occassion?

Just out of curiosity. Some bikes do have a pretty long swing arm (long chainstays). If there was enough clearance...could one just throw on a 29er fork and wheels? I don't think it would change the geo much if you used the correct fork length? Could changing the shock/stroke and suspension linkage correct problems with "overusing" travel to keep it from hitting the seattube or bottoming out??
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You can travel limit a fox air shock easy enough.