mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Cannondale F-si or BMC Teamelite

Hi all,
    new here and my first post. I have dessided to race mainly xcm this year after many years on the road and Cx course so now I'm looking what bike to get!

I have to buy a BMC or a Cannondale from my shop and it will be a HT. So now I'm between a Cannondale F-si carbon 2 or BMC TE01 three, these will cost me about the same. Anybody ridden both? Pros and cons?

F-Si Carbon 2 | Cannondale BicyclesÂ*

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-...lite-01-three/

I'm an dale and sram guy with a supersix evo hi-mod and a superx in the basement so the F-si is on the top or the list. But with a frame that feels a bit outdated maybe it's the wrong way to go?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Nothing really outdated about that Cannondale. Its fairly modern XC geometry for an XC race bike and has good reviews on its handling characteistis. Its not like this is a 71 degree HA.

Cannondale Pros:
    Lefty stifness
    Lefty looks if you like them
    All of your bikes are the same brand.
    Sram Drivetrain
    Cons:
    QR rear? really?

BMC Pros:
    Stunning bike frame
    Shimano Brakes
    More wheel options if you need a backup at some point in a pinch
    Cons:
    Shimano Drivetrain is a turnoff or me

I'd have to go the BMC. Might change to x01 cassette and XD evetually a Next Sl crank and Power mtr

Formerly of Kent
    In what world is the Cannondale's geometry dated for its intended purpose?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Unstoppable
    I own a 2016 FS-I Carbon 2 and I absolutely love that bike. I also appreciate the Lefty. This bike is a true weapon; too bad the motor sucks. The only issue I have had is in the rear hub. I bent/broke the rear axle shortly after purchasing the bike and then about 6 month later the pawls in the Formula hub had issues. I replaced that rear hub with a DT Swiss 240 and all is good again.
    "The most important thing about this instrument is the way the air smells when it comes out of these holes" ~Frank Zappa

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    If I owned that bike, I would upgrade the hub to a 135x12 and run a bolt on thru axle. The change in rigidness in the rear is pretty dramatic if you make this change. I too broke lots and lots of QR axles and bent skewers until I made this switch.

I run an i9 12x135 in my XTC advanced qr Hardtail. I may or may not hit 5 foot drops on it at speed.

Here is the axle:
    https://www.bikeparts.com/BPC169911/...SABEgKoQvD_BwE

Unstoppable
    Great suggestion.
    "The most important thing about this instrument is the way the air smells when it comes out of these holes" ~Frank Zappa

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Servicing leftys is more expensive and harder to find good service people. It is normally easy to find people to service fox and rock shox stuff.

Rides all the bikes!
    I spent some time on a demo BMC, and I own an F-Si. I rode the BMC at a bike park, mountain single track, and my local network (mix of everything). If I had to summarize the differences:

The BMC climbs, the F-Si descends.

If I could go back and make the decision all over again, I would still be on the F-Si. Bare in mind, I don't care about the proprietary arguments people make. This is a high end race bike built to haul ass. It isn't a trail bike I trying to have fun on for a decade or two. If I get two solid years, I'm happy. I know I'll get more than that on both!

The BMC had better characteristics for climbing. the flexible chainstays really helped dig in when the trail got bumpy. I set a climbing PR on a short, steep, 20 second sprint segment just purely for the reason that it could find traction when my F-Si would skip off the ground. I eventually matched it, but that was on my first ride! But when you turn around to go downhill, they steep head angle, reduced feel in the fork, and other associated factors made it less confident. The F-Si descends like you are on a trail bike, and it is very rewarding for the person who can huck, drop, and jump (which I do).

One of the BMC demo rides:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/593606009

Same trail network, finaling matching that climb:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1139227856

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    In what world is the Cannondale's geometry dated for its intended purpose?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Exactly. The FSi is new geometry. This was one of the first of a new generation of slightly slacker XC race bikes. I have owned this exact model for close to two years and 3,000 miles. I put lighter/wider carbon bars (720), a much better saddle, and S-Works post. As mentioned, the rear OE (Formula) hub blew up and Cannondale re-built my rear wheel with DT 350 based hub. I went tubeless and also installed a Stages Power meter. The bike weighs 21.2 with XTR pedals, carbon cage, Garmin mount ready to ride. The bike climbs great and descends equally amazing. The XLR lefty is solid and feels plush compared to some XC forks I've owned. I have no complaints with this bike now that the rear hub is sorted. I have not ridden the BMC but my neighbor (2017 California RR State Champ and MTB Pro) rides one and has for some time. Not sure you could go wrong with either choice! Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale F-si or BMC Teamelite-20171115_170029849_ios.jpg  

mtbr member
    I am a BMC fan, but for xc racing the lefty is the ideal setup.

But the qr rear hub? Wtf?
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for all your inputs! Really love the look or the lefty and like the color more on the dale. A bit interested about the ”softtail” on the BMC and that the only thing I would go for if Il go for that bike.

But now I'm even more sure I want to get the f-si but yeah the qr is a big consern. But if I understand i correctly I could change the rear hub to lets say a dt350/240 10x135mm hub and use this axel https://r2-bike.com/DT-SWISS-Quickre...TA10-135x10-mm ?

Rides all the bikes!
    The QR argument is a non starter on the F-Si, really. The rear is solid, no flex. I've hucked and jumped stuff* you probably wouldn't believe with no issues. A hardtail doesn't really have a need for thru axle unless it is like the BMC with the isomer that flexes. No brake rub or anything on the power either. I'm not a big buy, but I still put out a reasonable amount of power. The Scalpel, which is the FS XC bike from Cannondale does have 142 thru axle because it needs it.

The Lefty does weigh more than a regular fork. I love the performance of it so I can justify the weight.

*I didn't have a trail bike for a little while so was hitting the local enduro trails on my XC bike. Finally walked into my LBS and bought an actual Enduro.