mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Cannondale Caffeine F3 vs 29er 4

I am in the market for a new mountain bike and would like some input. I get a good discount on Cannondales (which is why I've narrowed it down to these two models). I'm 5'11, 245 pounds and will be riding mostly single track, fire roads, trails and hard surface - nothing too technical. Trying to decide between the F3 & a 29er. Do you sacrifice speed, agility with the steamrolling affect of a 29er?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Anyone?

No help for the helpless?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    This is basically a 26" vs 29" question, so you should be able to find a good deal of information by doing a search for that much-debated topic.

That being said, I feel like you do give up some agility when switching from the little to the bigger wheels. It's not much, but it's noticeable in really tight, slow, twisty singletrack. Also, at your weight you're going to be worried about wheel strength, and the larger wheels are inherently weaker than the smaller wheels, all other things being equal.

There are always trade-offs, and with the bigger wheel you do get a much more stable ride, as well as one that is noticeably smoother. Also, while the wheels are a bit weaker, you should be able to get a set custom built for you that can take the extra abuse.

In fact, you'll probably want to upgrade either wheelset pretty quickly, as both will most likely be a little weak for someone of your stature. For the 26er you might be able to find some pre-built FR or DH wheels that will work for a little less, but for the 29er you're likely to need to get a set custom built.

In short, they're both good bikes. If it were me, I'd go with the 29er in a minute over the 26er, but I've been on big wheels for several years and I might be biased. Maybe if you told people a little more about your experience and how you hope to use the bike you'll get some more specific recommendations.

Good luck.
    Last edited by BigWheeler; 06-23-2008 at 12:01 PM.