mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Cannondale Caffeine 3- SS

Have a year old one at the LBS- Been riding a XXIX for the last 2 yrs. Any opinions on this bike out their? Doesn't seem to be very popular ( Not that it matters)Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Really, nice frame, al ittle expensive retail for the parts group on it I think. I had 1 for about a year. The eccentric is garbage. It holds well, but then the adjustment bolt to removce it breaks. I broke 2 of them and then bought a Bushnell and put that in. The the top tube crakced about 1in in front of the seat tube. That may have just been bad luck. They warrinted it no problem. Great frame overall, just swap the bottom braket, Super stiff and you can't beat the lefty! Trust me.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've got an older ('07) version originally geared, converted to SS. Don't care for aluminum hardtails in my area, but the bike is very stiff and handles exceptionally well with the 80mm Lefty. If it weren't aluminum, I'd be keeping it instead of selling to build my Origin 8 frame.

mtbr member

Handling

I have not ridden one, looked into getting one and was discouraged by what I read about handling.

Here is a thread talking about cdale v fisher that is pretty current.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...94#post5557594

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Hmmm. Handling is a personal thing, certainly. I'll tell you this: I am NOT a fan of Cannondale. I took the Caffeine in trade because I wanted to try SS. I have no bias. In fact, I was prepared to dislike the bike.

I couldn't have been more wrong. With the DLR 80 Lefty, my '07 frame is one of the best-handling 29er frames I've ever ridden. It's intuitive, sharp without being twitchy. It's miles better than my old On One Inbred and even slightly nicer in the handling department than my Monk.

If I didn't need a little more travel and a steel frame for the terrain here in AZ, this bike would be a keeper.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've got an 07 and love it... haven't ridden other 29ers so can't really comment on the 'its as good as or better than brand X' discussion but for an alloy frame its surprisingly comfortable (have done a couple of 8hr races and 100km + rides and its fine). Handling wise I like it, my other MTB is a 26in Yeti ASR and I find I reach for the 29er more and more as the bike of choice.

I think (as noted) the parts spec leaves a bit to be desired - I changed the wheels to get something a little lighter but apart from that I took it as an investment in frame with everything else to be upgraded as time / $$$ allows. The 80mm of travel feels fine to me - certainly haven't really been in situations than I've thought I needed more.

It does have the cannondale creak from the BB though but some grease seems to make it go away (for a while at least).

Liked it so much that I'm selling the ASR to buy a geared Caffiene 1 as my race bike.

mtbr member
    I've been riding the geared and SS versions since each bike first became available and have no complaints. I built both of them from the frame up so they were fairly light as well as reliable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the 09 version is only 100$ more and has much betters parts, mainly brakes and wheels. I just mught be getting one myself. I keep uppin the price on what to spend on a ss lol

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The 07s had tire clearance issues. Well, I guess they only had the geared version then. the 08s are fine in that regard.

I've spent some time on the geared 2, and it handles great. Very racey, if that's what you're into. The lefty performs very well, but it aint really user servicable, which is a sticking point for me.

learning2rde
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    The 07s had tire clearance issues. Well, I guess they only had the geared version then. the 08s are fine in that regard.

I've spent some time on the geared 2, and it handles great. Very racey, if that's what you're into. The lefty performs very well, but it aint really user servicable, which is a sticking point for me.
    Just my experience, but the lefty is just as user serviceable as any other fork out there- cannondale.com posts all the service documents online and they are pretty good. Also, Mendon cyclesmith will do anything that is ever needed to these forks for unbelievably reasonable prices.