M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Cannondale Caffeine 29er sizing (oh no, another sizing thread)

I'll be ordering one of these bikes fairly soon (within the next month). Probably the 2, as the 1 is stretching my budget and my 'cross bike needs some TLC...and I have to pay for school.

Anyways, I'm a little torn on which size to get. Unfortunately I cannot ride the bike before ordering as we don't stock it in the shop I'm working at. I'm just over 5'11" and torn bewteen the medium and large. I'm mostly looking at effective top tube lengths, and feel I could go either way. The large is a little over 58cm, and the medium is 56 and change.

58 sounds a little better, but my concern is whether I'll be limited by a too-tall head tube in that size. I like the bars an inch or so lower than the seat, at least, though it depends ont he bike. I will be doing some racing with the bike. Not sure how much yet as it depends on schedule, but as much as I can. Also, 58 is what I'd be looking at for road or cross. I tend to go smaller on mountain bikes, but I heard a guy my height saying he thought the 58 was a bette roption for him (and me?).

I'd also like to do some longer rides and multi day off road stuff. I feel like the larger size may be better for this application, but the more compact frame will be better for the shorter races.

I've heard some people say you should size down with a 29er, but I'm skeptical, especially with the Cannondale, which seems to have been desinged to keep the numbers very similar to their 26 inch bikes.

I'm leaning towards the medium, but not entirely sure.

So, any advice is appreciated.

P.S. Not sure what I think about the blue flame paint job. Bare aluminum or blue?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't know how much of a help this is for you but I am 5'11" and ride a large F29 3. I rode a large 26" 1fg previously and think that both of the bikes fit very well,

Now, The F29 with the same stem Bar setup made me feel like I was sitting a bit more upright. I changed it around to lower my bars back down to the degree that the 1fg were (about an inch below saddle). But found myself disliking the familiar position on the big wheels. I now ride with bar and saddle just about level.

Its seems to me that others in the big wheel revolution seem to position themselves a bit more upright than on a 26er. Just an observation of mine, not sure if its true.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've noticed the same thing but always figured it was a result of taller head tubes, not something inherent in the handling characteristics of the bikes themselves. That's something to think about, thanks.

Do you find your F29 to fit similarly to your 26 inch cannondale? because I may be able to test some of those to get an idea of fit.

Drat, now I'm thinking more about the large.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

large...

Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    I've noticed the same thing but always figured it was a result of taller head tubes, not something inherent in the handling characteristics of the bikes themselves. That's something to think about, thanks.

Do you find your F29 to fit similarly to your 26 inch cannondale? because I may be able to test some of those to get an idea of fit.

Drat, now I'm thinking more about the large.
    I'm also 5'11" and ride a large. The fit is perfect for me.

-matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, I thought they both fit just about the same. Close enough that seat position changes and stem/bar selection could put me in the same position on both bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If I'm not mistaken, the headtube is the same between all cannondale sizes, due to the lefty fork.

Your My Boy Blue!!!
    We have the c'Dale 29ers at my shop, I am 5'11"+ the large has a standover of 32.5 if I recall, and felt big to me. I ride a large in c'Dale 26er, but would go with the medium for the 29er.
    My bike: Med Karate Monkey, Thompson Setback, 110mm stem.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe
    If I'm not mistaken, the headtube is the same between all cannondale sizes, due to the lefty fork.
    It is, but it's inherently three inches higher on the 29ers.

Thanks for all the responses. The roadie in me is now leaning towards the large. But I also like a position over the rear wheel, something perhaps better attained by the med. with a setback seatpost.

On the other hand I may not need a rear biased position on a 29er, due to the increased rear wheel traction.

So much to think about. Thanks for all the responses guys. I have a couple of weeks to mull this over.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    when i test rode the Cd 29ers about 2 years ago, i liked the larger because it felt like i was rideing between the wheels. i fliped the stem over (drop, like a road bike) and slit the sadle forward. But, i also have longer then average legs and arms. The medim felt alittle bit more nimble though....more like how a mt bike fits. the large was more like an epic flat cx ride bike.

eather one will fit ok.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    how can you not like the blue flames?

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crackhead
    when i test rode the Cd 29ers about 2 years ago, i liked the larger because it felt like i was rideing between the wheels. i fliped the stem over (drop, like a road bike) and slit the sadle forward. But, i also have longer then average legs and arms. The medim felt alittle bit more nimble though....more like how a mt bike fits. the large was more like an epic flat cx ride bike.

eather one will fit ok.
    I like playing around as much as the next person, but stability/comfort/efficiency for faster and longer rides is more of a priority for this bike. I'm not new to mountain biking but have been riding mostly cross/road for the past two years so I have a feeling from all these responses that I'll like the fit of the large better.

As for the blue flames: I like the blue, not sure if the flames count as tacky. But I'm not big on bare aluminum either. I'll probably go with the blue because I already have one bland looking bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i've had the blue F2 29r since march and i love mine. it gets around the trails great, cdale did a good job of keeping the right specs in check.

the wheelset sucks but not as bad as some stock bikes.