553K views 2K replies 300 participants last post by  dubthang 
#1 ·
Mine's here!
Here's the first pics.

Los
From Drop Box

See less See more
#330 ·
One thing to think about with all this ett talk is that the head tube is longer than on some other bikes.

My seat height is actually below the ett line. I do run a setback post (25mm Truvativ) to help keep the saddle where I need it, but the higher front end is calling for a shorter stem. It's odd. Horizontally (nose of saddle to h-bar center,) the bike is almost the same as my last bike, but the additional rise calls for a shorter stem. I'm sure the Pythagorean theorem would be useful here.

#332 ·
The first post was in response to the weight over the rear wheel issue.

That said, the more miles I put on this bike, the more my ideas about it change. I rode a very tech filled place in NH before the second post which made me think that perhaps somebody sized like you would be ok. I'm beginning to think that the extra leg length may be an asset since you'd have more room to throw the bike around underneath you.

#334 ·
Thanks, I think. I feel like I am asking a bunch of junkies if I should try a hit. :D

Dude, seriously, do I have to send you more booze to get you to commit already? There's even a dude selling a Large for $500 in the classifieds. You'd be out zero to a few bucks if it doesn't work out.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess it sold. But I'm hoping you bought it.
I have not cracked the beer. I'm afraid it has the curse of Umarth, the 29er hater. :skep:

Besides, GITD or not, green is where my heart lies, good price or no, but I was tempted at $550.. :thumbsup:

Reactions: p nut
#336 ·
HOLLY S---!!!!
Not tryin' to be an ass, but in all my years of riding bikes and many different frames; I have never given this much thought about the tech aspect of if it is going to fit or not.
I almost always look for a large frame w/ a ETT of 24-24.5 and a ST of 19-19.5.
As long as I have both of those geos. somewhere in those ranges, I know I'm good to go and can make other changes to whatever if need be.
This has always applied to any 26" or 29" frame I have ever owned.

Just buy the frame and see what happens:eek:

Too much thought into all of this:D

#339 ·
I know what you mean. What I had worked for years (been on MTB since 1979). Then Voodoo threw me a curve when my beloved 2007 broke and the warranty 2009 was the devil bike incarnate, all due to some geometry changes. The "conventional" trend in 29er geometry is worse for my orangutan proportions, so the new slack angles / lower BB / short CS is another experiment I am not so sure about now. Plus this economy has stomped me pretty hard, so I'm a little gun shy here. ;)

#338 ·
I have not been able to confirm that the Nimble 9 is a throwable bike yet. My frame is sitting on my Lazy Boy waiting for the fork and wheels to arrive Tuesday. When they get here I'll throw the bike together, throw my leg over the bike and take it for a ride just to see how throwable the bike really is!

#342 ·
numbers will wear you down....

this bike works.....steers from the hips, real similar to my hunter cross bike, and that's one of the main attributes i love about the bikes that i feel fit me the best, the more i ride them, day in day out. snappy rear end, unlike the other 29ers i've ridden that feel like the rear end trails around corners, or you have to compensate a bit for faster lateral movement, this rear end feels planted underneath you and really follows the front.

steep climbs so far have been good, the front end really responds and the control through the front end feels feathery and precise whether your on or off the front during a climb. overall downhills and overall riding have been intuitive, frame fits great, and i immediately felt like the bike was built for me, or i'd been ridin it forever, it's just that comfortable, and well, nimble. i just need a travel fork.

#343 · (Edited)
Check this out... look here in the California - Norcal sub-forum for the user Scott forty G.'s impressive Nimble 9 build: forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/im-no-chum-731447.html

But i think we have a bit in common.

1. We love Mountain Bikes
2. We love Singlespeeds
3. We love Singlespeed 29ers
4. We love Santa Cruz
5. We think Aptos is the best!

While my green singlespeed 29er Vassago has been faithful and have served me well in all types of riding, from death marches to never ending suffering climbs. Like this one or some southwest chunk and blistering Santa Cruz DH. Nothing last forever and sh*t brakes. A week ago, the crack where the headtube and downtube meets just got bigger and bigger. So, i just had to pull the trigger on a new SS 29er while i wait for a year to get my custom frame built up.... Oh yeah, you can make that #6 of one the things we will have in common:D

Just finished her today...

70MM silver thomson stem for DH feel

780mm Silver chrome Chromag handlebars. Extra wide because i got no skills on the DH.

Silver Skull and Chris King

Silver Grip endings

Black Nimble 9 Medium

White Formula brakes because i like to match things sometimes, it's the girl in me:p

Wife in the background looking forward to a new adventure.

#351 ·
Finished my build a few days ago and rode it for the first time today. My previous build was a custom steel rigid SS with ala Niner XC geo (71 deg HT, 73 deg ST, 445 mm CS) and after the first rides I can say that the Nimble feels different...in a good way :thumbsup:

It's nimble for sure. On the first ride I cleared logs and did jumps I've never done before. This bike will make you look for the roughest parts of the trail and likes to be ridden hard...

I'm 5'11" / 165 lbs and the medium frame feels good with a 100 mm stem. CS are 426 mm with a 32/20 setup.

The bike is build up with the following parts:

- Manitou Tower Pro 100 mm
- Hope Tech M4 brakes, 180/160
- XTR cranks
- CK hubs with Flow front and Arch rear and tubeless RoRo's
- CK headset and BB
- Salsa QR and seat post clamp
- HbC ring and cog
- Thomson stem
- Sunline V-one carbon bar
- Moots post
- Fizik Gobi saddle

A few pics:

Attachments

#353 ·
I am 6'2", 34" inseam, 210 geared up. I have been following this thread closely. Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as slocaus. I currently have a rigid Karate Monkey. With a tiny tire and the wheel pushed all the way forward in the dropouts, the bike had snap front end lift. The slightest pedal kick would lift the front end quickly but never throw me. Climbing on the bike was easy and there were very few situations when the front would wander but that was the shortest I would have ever wanted the chainstays. The bike was really fun in the twisties and the rear tire would stick like glue on climbs.

I now run the gearing at 32x18 with a half link. This puts the chainstays at 17 1/2" which is stable but not at nimble as the wheel slammed forward. With the Nimble 9 chainstays between 16.25-16.9" on a large frame, I could imagine the bike ripping up twisty singletrack and downhills even better but also having some really bad climbing characteristics. A lot of folks on here claim that "it will just work out" but IMO, slocaus has a reason to be worried. I wouldn't want to drop $700 on a frame only to find out that I can't run the seat too high or the front will lift or that I need a 140mm stem to weight the front end enough to climb.

Background information: I had a FS XL 26" bike. It had an incredibly long top tube with short chainstays (you might recognize the geometry). On fireroads, the bike was fast, on technical single track it was a nightmare. I changed the 105mm stem for a 90mm stem to reduce the cockpit and make the bike more nimble. The result was that the new geometry felt better but I could not climb the slightest incline without the front end lifting and wandering. The bike became useless on singletrack and I sold it not long after that. I wouldn't want to purchase a N9 and have the same thing happen.

#354 ·
Amazing builds here guys! I'll be picking up a N9 shortly and I'd like your opinion on sizing.

5'8"
29" inseam
long torso and arms, short legs.
Somewhat ape-like :)

I've been on mediums for years and I'm leaning toward a medium N9. I'm reading short cockpit remarks and feel like the medium would be the best choice. What do current owners think? I generally like shorter stems as well FWIW.

#358 · (Edited)
The wheels are Stans "Off the Shelf " with Arch Rims and Renagade S-Work Tires.

The frame is borrowing my Noir 3.3 Cranks (singlespeed) and Eggbeater 11's until I get my HBC spirderless ring for the XO Crankset thats supposed to go on it.

The brakes are the New XTR XC race with Hope rotors.

#360 ·
The Canfield Brothers got this 29er thing right. The bike climbs and turns like nothing I have been on before. I have the bike set up with a 90mm stem, Reba XX 100mm G2 offset fork, flat bars and a no set back seat post. This bike carves the corners without that twitch feel that Niners have. The bike has its first 20 miles on it.

My only complaint..... Its a little heavy. If they only made the Nimble 9 in Ti!

#361 ·
I'm 6'1" weigh about 220 geared up and ride my 9 as SS w/ 32-18. Ride a L. frame w/ a 90mm stem and a Salsa bend2 bar that has 23deg. of backsweep.
What I don't understand is when riding a SS, how does the front end lift when climbing?
Any/almos all real climbs I do, I have to be standing as well as what I have noticed from the many SS riders that ride around my local trails.

Bike feels great to me w/ my set up and I have never noticed front end lift/wandering on any climbs.

#363 ·
I don't think it's possible to get front end lift on SS climbs, unless you're leaning waaaayyy back, so I have to assume the only ones who are having any kind of problem are geared guys.
Well, i guess if someone is running a really low gear, say a 32x21 or 22, they might be able to stay seated on steep enough of a climb to lift the front. Of course, that's purely conjecture...

Los

#368 ·
Don't know about you guys, but this bike continues to impress. I've put on maybe 60 miles or so. It's the funnest bike I've owned to date. Only gripe is the pedal strikes/low BB, but that'll be partially cured after I set up the fork to 100mm.

Also, got 800mm bar put on there, which made the thing much more enjoyable. Highly suggested for SS'ers. (Kore Torsion bar @ Universal Cycles is $40).

I've also ordered a half link (Gusset Slink) and some 3/32 master links to shorten up the stays a bit. Parts should be here next week (can't believe none of the bike shops around here have these in stock... including BMX shops).

#369 ·
Agreed, I have 3 rides on mine, 2 techy, rocky short climbs, climbing over boulders and a couple of 3'+ drops. Other ride was a 10 mile CC with some good chunk and climbs. I converted today from SS (32x22) to 1 x 9 w/ a 34 tooth chainring. I'm doing a 24-25 mile CC ride tomorrow with some awesome long climbs and fast singletrack....pretty excited to see how she performs.:thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.