553K views 2K replies 300 participants last post by  dubthang 
#1 ·
Mine's here!
Here's the first pics.

Los
From Drop Box

See less See more
#215 ·
Dry?!? Feh. We've had a bit over 6" of rain. This year.
And we've had 44 100+ degree days, so far.
If you ever make it across the desolate plains of I10 West, give me a shout. I'd be happy to show you around some of the rockfests we call trails in San Antonio.

Los

#219 ·
Washers...?

Got my green frame yesterday and will build it up over the next week or so if I can find the time.

Just a small question:

From the pics in this thread and on the Canfield site it looks like the two included washers go on the driveside dropout? So do I just bolt the disc-side dropout on with no washers...?

Sorry for the noob question but it's my first bike with sliders...

Will post some pics when the build is done :thumbsup:

#220 ·
Got my green frame yesterday and will build it up over the next week or so if I can find the time.

Just a small question:

From the pics in this thread and on the Canfield site it looks like the two included washers go on the driveside dropout? So do I just bolt the disc-side dropout on with no washers...?

Sorry for the noob question but it's my first bike with sliders...

Will post some pics when the build is done :thumbsup:
There are probably 4 washers, with two kinda stuck together. You may have to get your thumbnail in there to pry them apart. If you only got two, then by all means get another pair of lockwashers like these before you assemble your frame.

Los

#228 ·
Thanks for the FD help...just did research.....there are a few "standards" for direct mount!!! The one on the BB mounts is not the same as the one on the frame! Crisis averted...new FD on the way! I think all will arive on the same day as the frame! Without y'alls help....I would have been disapointed! That is the charm of MTBR....people who help! Now to sit and wait for the build next Tue.

#234 ·
FYI with a 36/24 2x10 setup the SLX derailleur does NOT work, can't get it mounted low enough.
The X0 derailleur works fine, the slot is longer.

Anyone want to buy a SLX derailleur? Will work fine on standard 3x9 cranks, has the bottom pull piece cut off for tire clearance. Not needed on this bike since it's top pull.

#246 · (Edited)
na I asked a legit question. I was under the impression this was a volume produced frame, hence there would be authorized Canfield Brothers dealers that can move new frames for less than msrp since they buy in bulk. everyone wins, canfield, the dealer and the consumer. hope to be a proud owner too someday, now carry on with the sweet build pics and frame Q&A.

#250 ·
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Canfield was going with the boutique style, Direct Market through the internet program with these 29'er frames. That is, unless you bump into him in person at the downhill races and get lucky enough to get a demo ride in. I was enjoying a Nimble Nine this weekend at the NorthStar at Tahoe downhill races while Chris was there. Must also try a Yelli Screamy demo too while scraping up the coin for one of these frames.

#249 ·
some sizing questions

hey all just wondering if you could help me out. ready to order my nimble 9 today but was just makin sure i order the right size. i'm about 5'10" long torso, been ridin a small vassago bandersnatch w/a 600mm top tube & 90mm thomson stem, w/ hella seatpost showin. sometimes i wonder if i shoulda got the medium and ran a shorter stem, but wonder if the top tube would be too long, i think it's 615mm btw.

will a medium nimble 9 fit me well? i've been noticing some folks sizing up and rollin shorter stem in the yelli screamy thread.

i like the black and green color, don't know which one to get.....i keep scrollin through this thread and checkin out the builds. last thing, will a 30.0mm seat clamp work, or do i have to use a 29.8mm? thanks for any help.

#251 ·
hey all just wondering if you could help me out. ready to order my nimble 9 today but was just makin sure i order the right size. i'm about 5'10" long torso, been ridin a small vassago bandersnatch w/a 600mm top tube & 90mm thomson stem, w/ hella seatpost showin. sometimes i wonder if i shoulda got the medium and ran a shorter stem, but wonder if the top tube would be too long, i think it's 615mm btw.

will a medium nimble 9 fit me well? i've been noticing some folks sizing up and rollin shorter stem in the yelli screamy thread.

i like the black and green color, don't know which one to get.....i keep scrollin through this thread and checkin out the builds. last thing, will a 30.0mm seat clamp work, or do i have to use a 29.8mm? thanks for any help.
Native - not sure how much help I can be, but I was kinda in the same boat. I'm 5'-8", 30" inseam. I ride a small Jabberwocky and a medium Voodoo Canzo, both have a roughly 23" ETT. I just ordered a medium N9 and will be going with a 65mm Sunline stem.
If you haven't seen it check out Scott Forty G's post on his medium build:http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/s...ick-scott-jumped-over-candlestick-731451.html

Good luck on your build and be sure to post up when complete:thumbsup: BTW, I went with the blue(Jabber is black, Canzo is green!).

#253 ·
went with the electric lime size medium

just placed my order after calling up canfield, chris set me straight w/a medium frame. went w/the lime color after some tough waffling on my end and some serious thread scrolling. he said it'll ship out today! still waiting to save up some dough to get a nice new fox front, for now i'll be rollin the rigid fork off my bandersnatch. hopefully i won't be too lazy and build it up this weekend. crappy cell phone pics in the next few days to follow.

#255 ·
Got the lrg in green in my sweaty hands! Very nice for a non-custom! The details are crisp-and the paint perfect! Have it mostly built(have some flu bug-torture with a new bike!-dont even feel like building-much less go out for a ride-DOH) 120mm Manitou tower expert/mix of my odd parts-SLX 666 brakes(how could I not get 666) 34/22-12/36 9sp twistshifters and xt/slx derails...P35 frt and 36h Blunt rear on Slx hubs with Dissent ft and Ardent 2.4 rear....this is a monster bike...finished with orange cables and a green FSA head set...for now a ST Thudbuster...waiting on a dropper post! Just sitting on the 1/2 built...this thing is giant compared to my Bandersnatch...13in BB height...will take some getting used to! And I went from rigid....i am gonna smack the ground and trees at 1st...I know this will fly! Weight is 33lb with the steer tube,etc uncut. That is good for me-i'm 250lb 6'3'.I will post some show off pics when done and dirty! Thanks Canfield Bros and all y'all for help and inspiration! Now to finish the build and back to bed...late summer sick is the worst!
Bz

#256 ·
Here is a Nimble Nine build Chris just finished up at the Northstar at Tahoe races on Saturday. I did get to take it on a demo ride. It was so freshly built that I terrorized both Chris and myself when I found out the brakes weren't even bedded in yet and grabbing. :eekster: What I really like about this set up is the non XC feeling in the cockpit, with a more upright positioning, and the wiiiide handlebars, don't know if they were 30 inches or what.

#260 ·
on the way.....

ups tracking has my frame scheduled for delivery friday. looks like my labor day weekend will include some bike building and a test ride in the santa cruz mountains. next week we're rolin up to oregon for wedding in portland. gonna stop at either the north umpqua trail or in oakridge, still tryin to decide.

sslos are you runnin a 9mm front on your fox fork? i don't really wanna build up or pay for a new front wheel, and i wanna get a new fork soon. just don't know if i need all the extra stiffness too, still a fan of some flex. does anyone else know if i can run a 30.0mm seat clamp instead of a 29.8mm?

#262 ·
ups tracking has my frame scheduled for delivery friday. looks like my labor day weekend will include some bike building and a test ride in the santa cruz mountains. next week we're rolin up to oregon for wedding in portland. gonna stop at either the north umpqua trail or in oakridge, still tryin to decide.

sslos are you runnin a 9mm front on your fox fork? i don't really wanna build up or pay for a new front wheel, and i wanna get a new fork soon. just don't know if i need all the extra stiffness too, still a fan of some flex. does anyone else know if i can run a 30.0mm seat clamp instead of a 29.8mm?
Nice! I know the excitement, enjoy the build and inaugural ride!
9mm fork. I would love to try a Maxle or QR15, but neither option is financially available to me right now. There are occasions that I can get the rotor to rub a touch, but keep in mind that it's also a wider than normal (2mm vs. 1.5mm) Magura rotor in a Shimano M755 caliper.
And as Sean said, if it's a decent quality seatpost clamp, 30mm will be fine. At most, you might need to throw a small beer can shim in, but I doubt it.

Los

#263 · (Edited)
a few low quality cell pics from a test ride...

first shakedown cruise @ ft ord, site of the sleaze otter classic. fork's a little short but still handles great. i'll add more comments later........

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.