553K views 2K replies 300 participants last post by  dubthang 
#1 ·
Mine's here!
Here's the first pics.

Los
From Drop Box

See less See more
#128 ·
Canfield Brothers frames are under warranty for 2 years from the original date of purchase. This was bumped up from 1 year in 2011. Canfield Brothers also offer a lifetime crash replacement warranty, which in the event of a frame failure after the 2 year period, you are able to upgrade to a current frame for a to be determined price. This is for the original owner.

#132 ·
I'm really liking mine a LOT. Few issues though with the chainstays, like they didn't really fit my XX cranks, and y feet hit them as I pedal. Why so wide where they don't need to be? My shoe got caught on the chainstay and stopped me twice on my ride tonight, really weird, never experienced that on a bike before. I moved my cleats all the way out and that helped some. That and there are no mounts for the shifter cables. It rides really really nice though, and thankfully I think it's the PERFECT size and geometry for me.

#148 · (Edited)
I'm interested in this frame but I'm curious how wide the the frame is from the outside of one chainstay to the outside of the other as several people have mentioned their heals rubbing or catching their shoe on the chainstays. I have had lots of frames and never had this issue until I picked up a Knolly endorphin. The endorphin is 6 3/4" across at the point where my heals pass the chainstays and I get the occasional heal rub. My Jabbery on the other hand is 6" from chainstay to chainstay and I have tons of room.

#138 ·
...Feeling good.

...I started not noticing the bike anymore, just riding.
Even if you picked this phrase up elsewhere, I can tell it's exactly what you mean and no other words would describe it as accurately.

That's one of the great things about building a new bike: you build it and learn and tweak it 'til it disappears beneath you. :thumbsup:

Sweet set-up! Stoke on!

-F

#139 ·
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, as I didn't read though all the thread, but if anyone had/has a Karate Monkey and can compare the rides I'd sure be interested. This and the Honzo definitely have me thinking in terms of replacing the Monkey, which I never thought I would.

#140 ·
Lynx, I am in the same boat. I have a KM now but I have been looking for better options. I am having issues with tucking an Ardent 2.4 between the chainstays on the Monkey. My chainstay length is 17.5 with a half link. Anything less and the tire rubs the frame. Running a Ardent with 17" or less stays would be awesome.

I picked up my Monkey used last September as an add-on bike to my 26" Specialized Stumpjumper. It quickly became my go-to bike for everything. The last time I rode my Stumpy was in March or April and it has collected dust ever since. My Monkey is in good shape but surface rust and signs of internal rust have made me look at other frame options.

#141 ·
LyNx & Lumbee1, it's been a really long time since I had a Karate Monkey ( about 7 years,) so take this with a grain of salt. I remember the KM being a bit slow steering, and difficult to get the front wheel up. The N9 has neither of these drawbacks. I don't think the rear is any less compliant, and being able to stick a 2.4 Ardent back there makes it more comfy. In my mind, no comparison.

Los

#143 ·
Can't say I've found the Monkey to be slow steering, not with the stock rigid Surly fork nor with a 120mm Minute. I actually had serious issues adjusting to how fast the rigid Monkey steered when I first got it, was super fast for me. It sees mainly road duty now, but when I run it off road I always have a bigger tyre on the front to help slack it out a bit and slow the steering.

To be frankly honest though, I think Kona did well in keeping the Honzo under wraps and have in my opinion stoeln the title from the N9 in having the 44ID HT able to take tapered forks. For me for sure it's a big plus for sure, as forks will tend to move to tapered steerer for anything over 100mm in the future - my thoughts at least.

#142 ·
100mm update

Well, the other day, I changed my F29 to 100mm of travel, and just came back from the first ride.
The more I ride this bike, the more I love it! It just does everything I ask it to, and it really seems to suit my riding style. I've really gotten the feel of it, and it's changing my riding. Sections that I normally needed momentum to clean, I've been able to clean from a dead-stop trackstand.
The long travel on the front seems to make this even easier. The taller front makes getting the front wheel on top of obstacles almost effortless, and changing lines is automatic. I can see where geared climbing could potentially suffer from a wandering front, but riding singlespeed it's a nonissue.
Did I mention that I love this bike?

Los

#151 ·
I gave up on waiting for a color matched fork. My quick shake down around the neighborhood, this bike feels awesome! I still need to clean up the brake cables, but will have to wait until i get a bleeding kit. That and I cannot dial-in the cockpit until I've got some runs on it.

Can't wait for the weekend to hit the trails!

#153 ·
OK, that looks really nice but have to ask....How tall are you and do you have a really long torso and short legs? Also what size frame is that? From just looking at how you have it setup now it looks like if you wanted the bars level or below the saddle that it'd be a royal PITA and you'd need to run a flipped 10 dgeree stem, maybe even needing to flip some rise bars.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.