553K views 2K replies 300 participants last post by  dubthang 
#1 ·
Mine's here!
Here's the first pics.

Los
From Drop Box

See less See more
#201 ·
sick ryan....just stumbled on this thread a few days ago, along w/scott forty g's thread. had no idea about these frames, everything looks just like something i want too. stoked to see your build and hear about your thoughts on the ride. it's nice to see some of these newer 29er geometries move towards slacker head angle/shorter chainstays, similar to a custom blackcat (to me). i'm gonna start sellin other bike stuff today so i can get one soon.

as much as i'd want one of todd's bikes the price on these is too hard to refuse, built up how you want it, and have some scratch left over for other projects. guess i'm just real curious too if you'd really take a bike like this up to places like tahoe or even downieville with a front suspension fork and ride rockier stuff day to day without feelin beat up.

#202 ·
Not Ryan, but I'll try and answer your questions. Personally, I'd take my N9 to Downie, Tahoe, Moab, Iowa, Tangiers...wherever.
I think that where you're willing and able to ride a hardtail has more to do with you than the bike. If you're used to chunk on a HT, this bike will make your happy parts even happier. But it won't let you ride that stuff the same way a squish bike will.
I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but it really comes down to riding style, skill, and experience. I still remember the first time I saw Pete Webber and Whit Johnson ride the drop into Horsethief in Fruita. Pete was on a single speed HT, Whit was on a rigid single. I was sketched riding it on my Bullitt, and those two rode it like it was nothing.
If I were at the top of that drop right now, I would consider it on my Nimble, but I've grown as a rider, and most of the 11 years since that day have been spent on rigid fixed, rigid freewheel, or hardtail singles. Nah, I still would probably wuss out.
So, after that overly long and disjointed response, a hardtail like the N9 will only beat you up on the long rough downhill if you ride it like a squish. Otherwise, it's the most capable HT I've ever ridden on the downs.

Los

#207 ·
Glow in the dark?

So, I rode to my office this morning, and brought the Nimble in to hang out in the locker room instead of out in the 100+ degree heat (for like the 50th day this summer...:madmax:.)
I turned off the light, looked back, and it seemed my frame was glowing! Acid flashback? Is the paint called "Fukushima Daiiachi Blue? Is anyone else seeing this?!?

Los

#209 ·
So, I rode to my office this morning, and brought the Nimble in to hang out in the locker room instead of out in the 100+ degree heat (for like the 50th day this summer...:madmax:.)
I turned off the light, looked back, and it seemed my frame was glowing! Acid flashback? Is the paint called "Fukushima Daiiachi Blue? Is anyone else seeing this?!?

Los
Yup. I likes it in a goofy way. I was wondering if anyone would bring this up.. Does the black glow too??!

What I really like is the handling of this rig. The 120 up front is perfectly pleasant on the tech-ups of swashbuckling-switchbackery in the rocks. On the dh, the bike has a quick plant-me/rail-me kinda feel to it. In the air you can toss it about easier than other 9r's I have ridden.

Most 9'rs to me feel barge-ish so I went custom about 6 years ago and got the stays down to just below 17. I liked it plenty, but 16.5 is hella better and a slack head has surprised me pleasantly.

The bike is always right there with you and likes to be charged.

#208 ·
Glowing! I am gonna go nuts waiting for the brown truck! Green will glow better! I am going to try a SLX 9sp 665 E-Type...it comes off the BB mount...and I hope will work! I have one on another bike with a 34/22 combo and it has been flawless. Now...I have a Voodoo Zombie 500 fork and a Tower Expert120mm comming....I think the shock goes in the showroom and back to rigid I am till I find the perfect 120 fork! The Towers are leading...they fit a WTB Dissent on P-35's....

#215 ·
Dry?!? Feh. We've had a bit over 6" of rain. This year.
And we've had 44 100+ degree days, so far.
If you ever make it across the desolate plains of I10 West, give me a shout. I'd be happy to show you around some of the rockfests we call trails in San Antonio.

Los

#219 ·
Washers...?

Got my green frame yesterday and will build it up over the next week or so if I can find the time.

Just a small question:

From the pics in this thread and on the Canfield site it looks like the two included washers go on the driveside dropout? So do I just bolt the disc-side dropout on with no washers...?

Sorry for the noob question but it's my first bike with sliders...

Will post some pics when the build is done :thumbsup:

#220 ·
Got my green frame yesterday and will build it up over the next week or so if I can find the time.

Just a small question:

From the pics in this thread and on the Canfield site it looks like the two included washers go on the driveside dropout? So do I just bolt the disc-side dropout on with no washers...?

Sorry for the noob question but it's my first bike with sliders...

Will post some pics when the build is done :thumbsup:
There are probably 4 washers, with two kinda stuck together. You may have to get your thumbnail in there to pry them apart. If you only got two, then by all means get another pair of lockwashers like these before you assemble your frame.

Los

#228 ·
Thanks for the FD help...just did research.....there are a few "standards" for direct mount!!! The one on the BB mounts is not the same as the one on the frame! Crisis averted...new FD on the way! I think all will arive on the same day as the frame! Without y'alls help....I would have been disapointed! That is the charm of MTBR....people who help! Now to sit and wait for the build next Tue.

#234 ·
FYI with a 36/24 2x10 setup the SLX derailleur does NOT work, can't get it mounted low enough.
The X0 derailleur works fine, the slot is longer.

Anyone want to buy a SLX derailleur? Will work fine on standard 3x9 cranks, has the bottom pull piece cut off for tire clearance. Not needed on this bike since it's top pull.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.