553K views 2K replies 300 participants last post by  dubthang 
#1 ·
Mine's here!
Here's the first pics.

Los
From Drop Box

See less See more
#791 · (Edited)
I put 30 miles in on its first outing and had a smile on my face the whole time. Its exactly what I wanted and everything I expected.

Medium Nimble9
Mono-cog fork 473mm A2C
SLX crank
33t Surly chainring
18t Surly cog
Thomson 100mm stem
Salsa 17* 660mm flat bars
SLX M-665 brakes
SunRingle Charger Expert wheels
Rocket Ron 2.25 front
XDX 2.1 rear
Haven carbon seatpost
Silverado SLT saddle

#186 ·
Well like someone that commented on my photo of the blue N9, the front end is taller than the Yelli w/ the 120mm fork.
The steel is by far more comfortable/compliant vertically than the aluminum, but the steel is stiffer lateraly than I thought it would be (which is good for me) but not as stiff as the aluminum.
So basicaly, the Yelli is a stiffer overall frame, but for very aggressive riding where some hucking 5-5 1/2 feet happens and steep roll in's etc., I feel the Yelli is a better frame. I believe that's due to the lower front end, stiffer frame and lower standover from the dropped TT.
For everyday trail riding I always grab my SS N9.
I think I am going to rebuild my Yelli again for the more aggressive trails I ride alot.
It's pretty simple really, if you want comfort get a steel N9. If you truly ride very aggressive trails etc. grab a Yelli.
My question is as always; when will the aluminum frame break? LOL!
If you want a straight out XC racer bike/or if you are the type, I wouldn't get either frame.
Let me know if I can help anymore.:thumbsup:

#187 ·
Perfect, great info and precisely what I was seeking. Thank you! That was my guess, but it is nice to get feedback from someone with seat and trail time on both. :thumbsup:

#687 ·
touchy group

WOW what a bunch of butt hurt people on this thread. Make a simple comment about seeing several used frames for sale over the past couple of months and the neg rep flies.

Theres been used Nimbles and Yellis for sale used right here on MTBRs classifieds, as well, as E Bay weekly since thier release. Thats simply my observation. Seeing how the frames are manufactured in smaller batches. I would say thats a somewhat high percentage of new frames headed to the used market in a short period of time since being released.

As I said in my original post. Even some of the people posting on this very thread are giving props to fellow MTBR users for selling them a used frame.

Again this is my simple observation. I appologize to the tools that neg repped me for not saving every single Canfield used bike add over the past six months.So, I could post it on here.

If your so bent on this frame. Go hang out in the Canfield forum. Were you can stroke the egos, of fellow like minded individuals such as yourself. This is the 29er forum, where not everyone is a fan boi.

#691 ·
WOW what a bunch of butt hurt people on this thread. Make a simple comment about seeing several used frames for sale over the past couple of months and the neg rep flies.

Theres been used Nimbles and Yellis for sale used right here on MTBRs classifieds, as well, as E Bay weekly since thier release. Thats simply my observation. Seeing how the frames are manufactured in smaller batches. I would say thats a somewhat high percentage of new frames headed to the used market in a short period of time since being released.

As I said in my original post. Even some of the people posting on this very thread are giving props to fellow MTBR users for selling them a used frame.

Again this is my simple observation. I appologize to the tools that neg repped me for not saving every single Canfield used bike add over the past six months.So, I could post it on here.

If your so bent on this frame. Go hang out in the Canfield forum. Were you can stroke the egos, of fellow like minded individuals such as yourself. This is the 29er forum, where not everyone is a fan boi.
well as oldhouseman pointed out, your "observations" are inaccurate. And BTW- I sold mine, unfortunately, due to a divorce. I loved the frame, but have to limit myself to only one bike right now. And now I will go give you a positive rep so YOUR little feelings aren't hurt. Your welcome.:D

#775 ·
White looks very sleek... But I've owned enough white bikes

Here is my Blizzard Blue Nimble, I've had it for a few months now but only now can I say I've got it dialled in. The bike is fantastic and I feel like I made almost all the right choices on components. If I were going to change anything on the build it would be Arch EX rims (didn't exist when I built the bike), because they are a lot lighter and with the symmetric spoke angles strength is less of an issue, and I could run more XC-ish 2.1 tires if I chose to use the bike a lot on smooth fast trails and pavement, without compromising the tire profile. And for cosmetic purposes I wish the logo on the bars wasn't facing forward at 0 degrees (it always points down because I have the bars angled up a bit). I also wish I had gotten a crank with a removeable spider, so I could put smaller cogs on, front and rear... for clearance over log crossings, which is considerably tighter than I'm used to with the low bottom bracket. Where I brushed an obstacle on other bikes I slam the bash into it with this one, but the rear tire follows so closely behind the bashguard, control isn't compromised much if any. There is such a small delay between the contact of the bashguard and the contact of the tire. As far as pedal strikes I am happy with the compromise of awesome handling over easier pedaling around obstacles. I think I will get used to it and be happier in the end.

My Fuel EX was stolen so I was on a tight budget and built this bike for about $1800.

Component list:
Frame: '11 Canfield Nimble 9, Large
Fork: '11 Rock Shox Reba RLT w/ Poploc, 20mm axle, at approx 95 mm travel (of 120mm possible)
Headset: Cane Creek 40
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 330mm
Clamp: Salsa (Blue)
Saddle: SDG Bel Air RL (snow camo)
Stem: Ritchey WCS C260 80mm (bead blast black)
Spacer: Wheels MFG 1.5 mm
Handlebar: Raceface Turbine 700mm (8* sweep)
Grips: ODI Rogue lockon (w/blue clamps)
Brakes: Shimano XT M780
Rotors: Shimano RT67 (SLX) Icetech, 180mm frt, 160mm rear
Crankset: Shimano SLX, 32t Salsa ring, 32t BBG drilled bashguard
Front wheel: Stan's Flow/Wheelsmith DB14/Shimano Saint
Rear wheel: Stan's Flow/Wheelsmith DB14/DT Swiss 240s Singlespeed Centerlock
Rear Skewer: Shimano XT
Cog: Surly 21t (DT Swiss spacers)
Chain: KMC X8.93 (w/half link)
Tires: Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Maxxpro front and rear w/Stans sealant
Pedals: Crank Bros Candy C

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

#1,045 ·
Mine

Had some more bling, selling I9s and vonna run the pictured wheels until I can get build a nicer set of hoops.... The flat pedals are awesome, just "get on and go". I'm definitely going to run them all season long, and decide if I will keep them. I've been riding clipless pedals for seven years. I plan on changing out a few components... but here it is, as it sits currently.

#1,226 ·
I love this ride.

The rest of the story...

What I learned as a first time bike builder:

1. Not all torque wrenchs measure torque in both forward and reverse...
2. Cable kits come with one long and one short cable...
3. N9 Drop outs bolts have no spec and go course side to frame.
4. User tutorials for installation and setup of certain items (BB7's) are better than manufacturers info.
5. Manufacturers lie about part weights (I assumed so but hey others may not.)
6. Add to build list specialty tools required to install certain parts (BB, Cassette)
7. Don't build when your tired...
8. MTBR Forums and its members rock.

I'm sure I've missed a bunch.

Thanks for all the help!

Bike details:

Current Weight 29.19 lbs

N9 Small
Wheels: Sun Ringle Charger Comps (soon to be swapped out for Canfield's)
Forks: 2012 Marzocchi 44 TST2 29 QR15
Brakes: Avid BB7, Speed Dial SL
Cranks: SRAM X9 170mm GXP
Chainring: MRP Bling Ring 28T
Chainguide: MRP 1.X Guide ST Mount - Black (not yet installed)
RD Shifter: SRAM X.9 10-Speed Rear Trigger Shifter
RD: Sram X9 Rear Derailleur 10 speed medium
Chain: SRAM PC-1070 10 SPEED
Cassette: Sram X9 Cassette PG 1070 11 36
SP: Gravity Dropper Turbo
SP Clamp: Thompson 29.8
HS: Cane creek 110
Stem: Truvativ 60mm 7 Degree Flipped
Bars: Answer Pro Taper 780mm 12mm rise 9 degree sweep (soon to be upgraded to Syntace 800mm 0rise 12 degree sweep)
Pedals: AMP
Seat: Spec. Ergo
Grips: Ergon GA1
Cables: Ripcord's
Tires:Ardent 2.4 setup tubeless

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

#1,265 ·
Wheels: Sun Ringle Charger Comps (soon to be swapped out for Canfield's)

Brakes: Avid BB7, Speed Dial SL
I think you would be better off the keep your current wheels and upgrade to hydraulic brakes. From that set up it looks like you will be riding down more than up, and having hydraulic braking power will be nice. BB7 is a great mechanical brake, but they are no match to a decent set of hydraulic brakes. The Canfiled wheels will likely be heavier than your current wheels too.

#130 ·
I've had the bike out for a few short rides so far. Still working on getting the cockpit dialed in- the Jones bars might not be for me, I'm about to try some regular bars. I have it geared 34/17 right now, that puts the dropouts pretty far forward. 34/17 is a pretty stiff gear for me, I think 33/19 will fit with dropouts almost slammed forward. I tried 34/18, almost fit, would need a broken-in chain.

I like the bike. It's different than any of my previous bikes handling wise. I thought the short rear end would make it loopy, it takes more effort to wheelie or manual than I expected. May be due to the low b.b. height and heavy front wheel though. I need to try a 29er rear (front) wheel on it. It feels super stable, but still kind of eager I think due to short wheelbase if that makes any sense.

The fat front set up is fun, reminds me of a monster truck. Tons of traction and cushy, not fast though. I've been pushing it as hard as I can into turns on loose surfaces, the front end has yet to wash out. The rear drifts nice and easy though.

Attachments

#166 ·
Just wanted to post this just in case no one else figured it out - I didn't know myself.

I'm a Kona shill, so said the person who negged repped me :rolleyes: Wow, I mean seriously, ask a few questions about a bike you're interested in and dare to make a comparison to another similar bike, maybe point out some features are better on one than the other and they call you a shill :eek:ut: Guess they didn't read the Honzo thread then :skep:

#178 ·
Before I purchased my 9, I asked about the bottle cage bolts and the explanation I got was they wanted to be able to drop the seat all the way down to the rails. On my Yelli with the bolts on the seat tube, the seat post can't go all the way down.
Not that big a deal! On some ride where I need only 2 bottles, I just carry one in my jersey pocket; one in the cage and swap out when one is empty:thumbsup:

BTW, frame is still dope as hell:D

#288 ·
Got a few sick test rides on my nimble 9 and it's all that. First in Santa cruz on the local trails, tore it up. these pics are from oakridge, Oregon, the alpine trail. I think it's about a 13-15 mile downhill.

Attachments

#342 ·
numbers will wear you down....

this bike works.....steers from the hips, real similar to my hunter cross bike, and that's one of the main attributes i love about the bikes that i feel fit me the best, the more i ride them, day in day out. snappy rear end, unlike the other 29ers i've ridden that feel like the rear end trails around corners, or you have to compensate a bit for faster lateral movement, this rear end feels planted underneath you and really follows the front.

steep climbs so far have been good, the front end really responds and the control through the front end feels feathery and precise whether your on or off the front during a climb. overall downhills and overall riding have been intuitive, frame fits great, and i immediately felt like the bike was built for me, or i'd been ridin it forever, it's just that comfortable, and well, nimble. i just need a travel fork.

#381 ·
black & blue

Finally finished up the build. One ride so far & it was a blast!

I played around with the 95 / 120mm settings on the fork and I think I prefer 120. Seems to fit the bike better. I am running the sliders as far forward as I can and still have clearance for the FD. Even with the 120mm fork, this bike is every bit as nimble (duh!) as my other quick handling 29ers.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.